[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If a game's classes don't matter at all in the storyline,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: header.jpg (54 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
54 KB, 460x215
If a game's classes don't matter at all in the storyline, why have classes at all?

Why not just develop characters skyrim style?
>>
File: gw2-logo.1600230148.jpg (19 KB, 290x200) Image search: [Google]
gw2-logo.1600230148.jpg
19 KB, 290x200
When I have to stop to level up my character's stupid dopey abilities that will never be acknowledged by anyone else in the storyline, it takes me out of the experience.
>>
>>322142601

Replayability.

I would much rather play the game again from a different perspective completely with new combat and abilities than the same character.
>>
Classes are fun, though.
>>
>>322143424
How does limiting abilities to classes not make the game less replayable than if all abilities were open to the player to spec into as fit their character?

>>322143547
Not when they ruin immersion.
>>
The game is good but previous games were more unique.

I can't bring myself to replay it because there wouldnt be much difference unlike Arcanum for example.
>>
File: 1401158896974.gif (2 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
1401158896974.gif
2 MB, 350x197
>mages need high might
>my weak as fuck nerd mage can somehow lift people up by the throat with his bare hands
>>
PoE decided to aim for class homogenization.

At that point they could have just made it a more complex (oh that would be a negative) free-form system where Feats and Perks all have their own costs that is weighted by how good the power is. And the main character could just have access to THE WATCHER cypher abilities.
>>
>>322142601
>Skyrim style
>Not Oblivion/Morrowind style
Someone is pretty young I see.

I didn't hate Skyrim's leveling system, it was pretty good considering how completely different it was, however that's not what Elder Scrolls is and fuck them for doing that, make a new RPG that relies on perks if you have to, I want my stats back in TES6.

POE is a solid game and at the very least it's proof that games developed with techniques used in the mid/late 90s are perfectly viable today, which was a thing I already knew anyway.

It's not as interesting as I hoped it would be but I still had a good time with it.

And why not develop characters skyrim style? Because the "no class" thing was strictly a TES thing, they had "classes" in terms of prioritizing the skills you relied on the most. But it was the first RPG series that I know of to really give you total freedom to build and level whatever the fuck you wanted until you were literally a walking god with all skills maxed out.

It's just a flavor thing, a lot of people find it easier to deal with a game railroading them into a certain archtype rather than "Do whatever" because limitations mean less to think about.
>>
>>322145341
You're crazy. Playing a Rogue, Monk, Barbarian, Paladin, Wizard, Chanter, Cipher or Druid is a completely fucking different experience.

The class variety and differences in Pillars of Eternity is excellent.
>>
>>322144163

They don't need high might at all
>>
>>322142601

The people who designed it copied from older games without understanding why older games were designed the way they were.
>>
>>322145602
My issue with POE is the Watcher abilities made me feel like I REALLY should be playing a Cipher because they basically go together and you sort of get more out of being a Cipher lore wise.
>>
>>322145893
That's kind of true, I never bothered using my Watcher abilities. Not that it really matters, you can do just fine with any other build.
>>
I was disappointed in how many skills had limited usage per rest. It simply made me use per encounter stuff for all the trash mobs (90 ish % of mobs) and save the fun stuff for the rest.

Btw i just reached act 3. How long is the third act compared to the other two? I have started to grow a bit bored with the gameplay and the story is hardly all that interesting. Which is a shame since i really like what the game tries to do with hollowborn, souls, animancers and so on.
>>
>>322146048
I mean no it doesn't matter, but from the look of "What kind of character makes the most sense for this story"

It's Cipher by far, and that triggers my OCD a little bit.
>>
>>322146117
Are you in Twin Elms? If so, you're not very far from the ending, especially if you ignore side-quests.
>>
>>322142601
>skyrim
So everybody is a stealth archer?
>>
>>322146213
I don't know, man. A spiritual monk that uses the suffering of his curse to fuel his power makes perfect sense to me too.
>>
>>322145376
I didn't say Oblivion or Morrowind because the perk tree was a nice synergy of impactful player choices on level up and earning those choices with your actions. Oblivion made you do that stupid xp balancing act if you wanted to really optimize your stats and I didn't get far with Morrowind but what I did see of the skill system was a real mess.

Also, I don't think classes necessarily make the game simpler because you still get a giant list of choices just not the guidance of what to pick next based on what you've been doing.

I think Fallout style with "suggested" skill ups would be a good system to maximize character building freedom as well as guidance based on playstyle.
>>
>>322145630
Unless you focus entirely on cc then yes you do
>>
>>322146117
Game is self-descriptive with the hollowborn thing.
>>
>>322146242
I am about to travel there. I have completed most of the side stuff in act 2 and my party have been kind of overpowered for a while now.

The environments in this game are really nice.
>>
>>322142601
There are reasons for it but discussing it on /v/ has no sense.

/tg/ and I mean very veteran /tg/ posters and likely Vin Diesel will understand what's the point of having classes in RPG games, but /v/ won't.
>>
>>322146253
>not shieldbashing your way through the whole game
>>
>>322142601
I'm not sure Skyrim should be held as an example of a class system done right, since the designers clearly used the crutch of levelled lists to inform every design decision.
>>
>>322146645
/tg/ ever discusses CRPGs?
>>
>>322146117
3rd chapter can be rather short if you go barebones. i'd say 10 hours if you rush it, 20-25 if you go slow
>>
>>322146731
except they still got it wrong and you could breeze through certain dungeons without trying then get exploited as fuck by the boss to the point where you either needed to respec or burn 100 potions to beat him.

I'm talking about the skill/perk tree system specifically. /v/ should know by now that every Bethesda rpg is 20% improvements on the last one and 80% stupid shit that makes no sense.

If you can't just focus on the 20% that's good, modern vidya is going to be miserable for you.
>>
>>322146117
Btw, there is an afraid man in the Twin Elms tavern, talk to him, he got news about a friend
>>
>>322146909
Rarely, but this is related to RPG's as a whole, both tabletop and computer.
>>
>>322147351
i see. I asked because I like to discuss crpgs every now an then and /v/ is not a good board for it
>>
>>322147570
You may have more luck on /vr/

unless you want to discuss fucking dragon age, then stay on /v/
>>
>>322146645
I would imagine because your characters had a background written out before you started a tabletop rpg and classes made sure the background was balanced.
>>
>>322147791
Nope. From the ruleset and consistency perspective.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.