[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: RarewareLogoOld.jpg (22 KB, 233x300) Image search: [Google]
RarewareLogoOld.jpg
22 KB, 233x300
What went wrong?
>>
Nintendo didn't make them 1st party, then Microshit bought them, and gutted them after L&R remake.
>>
>>322141953
Look up the date when don mattrick took over
>>
>>322141953
Haven't made a new viva pinata game
>>
Are they even allowed to make games anymore? They spent most of last gen porting old games and making Wii sports ripoffs and now they've spent this gen so far just doing more ports.
>>
First Microsoft bought them, which ended up ruining Dinosaur Planet whilst killing Star Fox in the process. Then Microsoft were strict with them and forced them to rush the games to meet deadlines (which resulted in their early Xbox games being underwhelming). Then Chris and Tim Stamper left and they decided to focus on Kinect games for some reason. Although now that Mattrick is gone and Kinect is dead, maybe Sea of Thieves will actually be good.
>>
>Microsoft
>Kinect
>team going full retard thinking nobody wants platformers and making their platformer into a shitty car game despite Super Mario Galaxy coming out a year prior
>almost all the good people left
>>
the good devs left around 1999
>>
>>322142518
why the fuck didnt nintendo buy rare after they literally saved the n64 is beyond me
>>
>>322144526
>Conker was a commercial failure
>Star Fox Adventures
>cost of game development increased
>Rare goes with Microsoft while still developing handheld games for Nintendo
>Sabre Wulf, Grunty's Revenge, It's Mr. Pants, Banjo-Pilot
>first Microsoft game was fucking Ghoulies
They were clearly going to shit
>>
>>322141953
Holy shit. I have BEEN WAITING for someone to make a fucking thread about this.

Microsoft turned Rareware into a pile of shit. Their 'partnership' was like a bad setup marriage. What good games did Rare make after that? None. Pinata was decent but no way near as good as the old games they made. Not to mention Rareware made the fucking hugest mistake of their life by not going to Nintendo and working out some sort of partnership. I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have abused the fuck out of Banjo and probably would have made Conker more family friendly to star in more Nintendo games.

But that didn't happen. It's really a fucking shame. Imagine what could have been. I'm still pissed about that too. Rare was one of my favorite video game companies as a child.
>>
File: sex.png (37 KB, 200x271) Image search: [Google]
sex.png
37 KB, 200x271
When did it all start going so right?
>>
>>322146090
>>
>>322144841
Conker was a commercial failure because it was released at the end of the N64's lifecycle and Nintendo wouldn't market it because it was too vulgar.

Star Fox Adventures was shit because it was rushed and some idiot decided to make it a Star Fox game instead of sticking with the Dinosaur Planet idea.
>>
File: 1439031013822.jpg (83 KB, 412x441) Image search: [Google]
1439031013822.jpg
83 KB, 412x441
>>322146090

>MS exec who was studio manager between 2003-2008 now runs Xbox
>Nintendo America Producer between 95-01 is now senior creative director at Xbox
>One of the Guys behind Sanic And All Star Racing runs them
>Creator of DKC, BK, Viva Pinata is now creative director and making the pirate game of his dreams
>Young staff hungry to reclaim the Rare name
>Old staff happy with the direction they are going and sees potential to reclaim old glory
>Sea Of Thieves looks amazing already
>YFW Rare is back in 2016
>>
>>322146643
>Sea of Thieves looks amazing already

Oh. Did they post any gameplay? Also Viva Pinata was garbage kek
>>
>>322146643
>Sea Of Thieves looks amazing already
Really now
>>
>>322146643
>LOOK AT ALL THESE PEOPLE THEY HAVE
Still losing to a kikestarter collect-a-thon.
>>
>>322141953
Microsoft had nothing to do with it.
All of their talented people left.
>>
>>322146643
I find it depressing that you post that because Rare didn't even get to do killer instinct

Please stop hurting my feelings
>>
>>322146643
>Rash is in a mediocre title
>Sea of Thieves is all they have
>>
>>322144841
Ghoulies is fucking amazing and one of Rare ' s best games. Eat shit
>>
>>322148656
>Ghoulies is fucking amazing
Don't start the new year by shitposting.
>>
>>322148771
It's true. Try actually playing it sometime.
>>
>>322148895
>if you don't like it, you didn't play it
At least tone it down for today.
>>
>>322141953
The same thing that happens to many devs, the people who worked on the games that people are nostalgic for left the company.
>>
All the talented people left. See Blizzard. Nintendo saw the writing on the wall and sold their remaining stock.

Microsoft didn't kill Rare, they were already dead; Microsoft just didn't do anything to help in reviving them.
>>
>>322142518
>>322143723
>>322143965
These.
Add on to that, Nintendo felt they were taking too much time with their games, while at the same time, forcing them to make three Disney titles along with their own games. We could have had Dinosaur Planet on the GameCube, untouched and maybe some improved touches on the games they released prior to 2001 if they didn't do the Disney games. And let it be known, Miyamoto was the one who forced Star Fox where it didn't belong, and the higher-ups at Rare, trying to stay on his good side, opted for it.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.