[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Have 4 shields, 55% evasion, 15 seconds of cloak and I still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67
File: FTL_Title.png (796 KB, 1350x1074) Image search: [Google]
FTL_Title.png
796 KB, 1350x1074
>Have 4 shields, 55% evasion, 15 seconds of cloak and I still get my ass kicked.

This is bullshit
>>
>>322141402

>not going full mantis

pleb
>>
>He thinks shields and cloak are game winners

lol
>>
where's your damage
>>
>>322141913

>going with easymodo

who is the real pleb?
>>
>>322141402
you're not supposed to have everything powered simultaneously, you're supposed to switch power back and forth between systems to dig out your effectiveness. Make liberal use of the pause button to think it through.
>>
Are you the same person who thought the bosses of NWN were bullshit? Are you not aware you can pause the game?
>>
I just had a mectoid one shot two people in full cover, one of them was hunkered down. Wtf how do I will
>>
>>322141402
I never managed to beat the final boss, not even after the update.
I gave up trying a long time ago
>>
>>322141402
My last three games were wins on hard advanced.

I never had 4 shields on any of them, 2 of those runs I had two shields until sector 8.

Change your tactics senpai
>>
>>322142008
This. Defense is good, but you need something to break through their ridiculous late-game shields.
>>
>>322143268
>Letting a mechtoid get a turn

where's your supression/HEAT/explosives
>>
I still think Fed C should naturally come with 4man teleporter, even with the mudslimes exploding they don't do enough.
>>
>>322141402
>4 shields
>55 evasion
>15 sec cloak with no stealth weapons augment

lets see

the last shield is a waste, the last 3 levels of the engine are a waste and the cloak is a waste without the augment

that ammouts around 600 scrap that couldĀ“ve been used more wisely like buying drone sys and a def mk1, burst lasers mk2, clone bay, mantis and teleports
>>
>>322144007
2 man teleport with fast enough recharge time is already strong enough to wipe out most ships. If you have to supplement it, get a anti-bio beam, a boarding drone, and some kind of rocket to ruin their med bays.

There's a reason almost nothing has 4 teleport pads, it's insanely powerful.
>>
>>322144043
To be more precise;

4th shield costs you; system(100+80) reactor(30+30) = 240
All this for a 4th shield that is kind of pointless with the right build.

The last 3 leves of the engine costs you; system(120 + 80 + 60) reactor(30 +30 +30) = 350
All this for 9% evasion

The cloak costs you; system(150 + 30 + 50) reactor (30+30+30) = 320
All this for a 15 sec cloak that stops if you fire weapons on a 20s cd.

Those are 910 scrap that you could have used for more valuable things.
>>
File: somanytimesinmylife.jpg (140 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
somanytimesinmylife.jpg
140 KB, 640x720
Ugh, I have this friend that beat this game on Easy with advanced dlc off and feels proud of it and rubs in the fact that I havent beaten it yet but all I do is Normal w/ Advanced on.

I've honed down my strategy to 3 shields, 3 engine(at least 40% dodge I believe) and some lvl 2 oxygen, medbay and doors.

I have a rule of beating it for the first time with the "default" ship aka the Kestrel with Layout A. I have a few other ships unlocked but I can't play them until I beat it with Kestrel.

Any tips? I can typically get to Last Stand pretty reliably unless I have a string of bad luck.

>mfw when I finally get to Last stand with what I believe to be a game winning set-up
>>
All you need to defeat the boss is 2 x Burst Laser MkII
>>
>>322145109
Get a cloak, even a level 1 cloak is invaluable since it lets you dodge missiles and more importantly the flagship's super attack

Save your missiles as much as you can, only use them when you can't pierce the enemy defenses normally or you'd be in danger of taking hull damage otherwise

And try to focus on crew kills early on, whenever you come up against an enemy that can't pierce your shields go for the O2, that way you can get more scrap and a chance at items/crew for keeping the ship intact
>>
>>322144545
Usually at the point I'm able to afford that, I have better and more reliable weaponry.
Not sure why that ship annoys me so much, the rest of the C's are whatever.
>>
>>322141402
>55 evasion
>not 60 and getting invincibility
HAH
PLEB
I BET YOU DON'T HAVE ANY BURST LASERS MK II
>>
>>322145109
One level of doors is good for safety, but oxygen and medbay are frivolous until later on and you have scrap to spare.

Kestrel is awful, but good luck to you.

If you want extra scrap, winning by killing the crew is very effective. If you can get teleporters and have a couple crew who can fight well (Mantises best, but a few can do it alright) then do it. Most everything depends on the gear you find and how you supplement it. Everything is case by case, but be aware the diminishing returns of buying higher system unlocks and if that's really what you need at a given time.
>>
>randomly get that powerful laser beam that can pierce shields

That was the only way I could ever beat the game, getting lucky and finding that laser beam. That can getting that rapid fire gatling laser.
>>
>>322145746
>Kestrel is awful
Just how drunk are you?
>>
>>322145891
I've beaten the game with other ships a few dozen times, but kestrel is just bad. Maybe I'm just judging it because I never looked back after I unlocked other things and got gud. But other ships just seem much easier to me.
>>
>>322145048
IMO the must haves for every run are;

-Shield level 6 (3 shields)
-Engine level 5 (25% evade)
-Pilot level 2 (to have an extra health bar to avoid losing the evade)
-Oxigen level 2 (to have an extra health bar)
-Doors level 2 (3 is a must if you go into a mantis sector)
-Drone System with a Def Drone Mk1

Regarding other systems:
-Never buy mind control, its useless.
-Backup Battery is cheap and quite useful, if you have spare scrap get it.
-Hacking is quite powerful if used right. Learn to use it and buy it if you already have setup your core build.
-Cloak is either useless or OP, it all depends if you have the Stealth Weapons or not. (your def drone will get rid of missiles for you)
-Teleport and Clone bay go hand in hand and should only be bought if you got with the boarding strategy.
After that you focus on your offensive.
You either aim for an alpha strike offensive with weapons or go for a boarding strategy.
Boarding strategy revolves around mantises, teleport, clone bay, bio weapons. (try to get the augment to bypass the zoltan shield or you can be fucked).

Alpha Strike strategy revolves around using weapons. The best weapon for this is Burst Laser Mk 2.
Manage to get three of these babes and you will cheese through the game.

Substitutes include, Artemis Missile, Hull Laser II, Laser Charger (L).

I avoid using any other weapon unless its a drop, and only use it till I sell it to replace it for one of the weapons I named.
>>
>>322145109

First, make sure you abuse the pause button whenever you need to.

You need cloak or defense drones, it's the only say to stop their missles. If you get cloak don't increase your engines over 40% max evade with Manning bonus included - cloaking increases evasion by a hard 60%. Also don't get cloak higher than level 2, since the cooldown increases drastically as you increase level. When you cloak, don't fire weapons unless you have the stealth weapons augment - it reduces your cloaking time drastically. If you go drones, get defense drone 1, defense drone 2 gets distracted by lasers and is only good as a supplement.

You need to be able to reliably punch through their shields - focus on more on quantity instead of quality. Bombs and missles are only a good idea for the first two phases, the third has a renewable 8 hit zoltan shield. You need good laser weapons, possibly a good ion weapon, and a good Beam weapon is acceptable only if you can lock their shields.

Make sure you abuse the pause button.

8-man crew isn't necessary but is good. A 5 man crew is the minimum, since you have to man all systems and the doors in case of borders. Go for engi, mantis, and rockmen primarily - they have the most blue options (slugs only have 1 blue option outside of their sector). Zoltan, Lanius, Humans, and Crystal have very little in the way of blue options. Zoltan are acceptable as supplementary power - you should only get them if you can get two of them, and sit them in the shield room so that ion weapons can't fuck you completely over.

Upgrade sensors to level two before you leave the first sector. The amount of blue options you get access to is ridiculous. Likewise, if you get a beam weapon, a sys repair drone, or any number of random items, keep it in storage rather than sell it. You get more blue options and better rewards if you wait to sell it till the sixth or last sector than if you sell it right away.

Lastly, abuse the fucking pause button.
>>
>>322146387

Flak I is equivalent to Burst Laser II. Slight AoE to accommodate for the shorter charge time.

Flak II is a candidate for most OP weapon in the game.
>>
wait, you can pause the game ad still deliver commands?

well that would have been useful to know
>>
I can't beat this game on Easy, but I only spent a few hours on it and I'm slow at gitting gud. I've reached the final boss once, but I find it annoying that you only have two possible ships before beating the monster that is the final boss. What's the best option for gitting gud, Kestrel or Engi ?
>>
>>322147409

Holy shit, you need to read instructions.

>>322147463

Kestral.

You can do quests to unlock other ships before you beat the final boss.

Engi is challenge mode.
>>
>>322142606
>Make liberal
Hello, reddit.
>>
>>322142606

How the fuck are you supposed to attack if you're shifting power all over the place constantly ?

That's coming from a guy that said "fuck this shit" and never opened the game ever again when he saw that the last boss had a 2nd form (and a THIRD one what the fuck) after 50+ unsuccesful runs on the easiest difficulty.

Fuck this RNG game (it's fun as hell though)
>>
>>322147676
I have yet to stumble upon any of those random events, though, oh well. Thanks anon.
>>
>>322146387
>Manage to get three of these babes and you will cheese through the game.
that was my very first win
>flagship has 4 shields
doesn't fucking matter, just have to shoot it until it's dead, very satisfying
>>
>>322147816
Also, I just saw some people's setups, there are lots of items I've never dropped or seen in a shop, and how the fuck do they manage to get like a 6-people crew, all that stuff, enough scrap to get that much shit AND buy supplies (fuel missiles and shit) AND upgrade their ship ? I barely get enough and I explore as much as I can before getting my ass poked by the rebel fleet. I usually barely get enough scrap to do half of what they recommend, and I've never seen some of their weapons.
>>
>>322147267
Flak II is a noob trap
While it fires enough shit to blow away all the enemy shields on its own, it has a terrible recharge time and uses too much or your energy
>>
so, what is the tier list of augments?
>>
>>322147267
Flak II gives you 7 untargeted shots on 21 secs with 3 power.

Bust Laser II gives you 3 targeted shots on 13 seconds with 2 power.

Power is everything when it comes to weapons. There is a world of difference between 2 and 3 power.

Not to mention that dot is virtually the same Bust Lasers shoots 1 shot every 4,3 s while Flak shoots 1 shot every 3 seconds.

The difference comes in targeting, you can reliably disable weapons to prevent damage and disable shields to do more damage with the burst laser.

While with the flak your damage is spread and every time you shoot you will be faced with full shields because of the long cooldown.

Going full flak vs full laser should make it more obvious;

Flak II + Flak II + Flak = 8 Power, 23 shots in 24 seconds, untargeted

LmkII + LmkII + LmkII + LmkII = 8 power 24 shots in 26 seconds, targeted
>>
>>322141402
>beat normal with the slug ship

aw yea

>2 times got the final segment of boss down to 1 hp but got fucked

i hate it though
>>
>>322147797
Power to the shields can be reduced if you account for the enemy firepower, as in its useless to have 3 shield if your enemy can only deal two damage.

Can be disabled if you enemy cant go through your shields.

Medbay should only be powered when you have to heal people.

You can temporarily disable oxigen through the course of a battle to use that extra power somewhere else.

The only thing that should always remain with full power are your weapons.
>>
File: 1422298429587.png (112 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1422298429587.png
112 KB, 420x420
>>322148549
>Bust Laser II
>>
>>322148684
I love slug ship, bio beam and teleporter is fun
>>
File: 1376976231595.gif (21 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1376976231595.gif
21 KB, 645x773
>>322148850
>causing galactic genocide with bio beam, fire beam, firebombs etc

no better feeling
>>
>>322148684
>>322148850
Anti-bio beam is almost as fun as fire beam, almost.
Still it was one of my key components in beating flagship few times.
>>
>>322148339
They are mosltly shit.

The only ones I consider useful are;
-Zoltan Shield
-Stealth Weapons
-Scrap Recovery Arm
-Weapon Pre-Igniter

For boarding strat only:
-Reconstructive Teleport
-DNA Bank
-Zoltan Shield Bypass
>>
>>322149346
Fire Supression System is pretty handy. Not always required, but it's really nice to only need to focus on fixing systems while it keeps the flames in check.
>>
>>322149346
Drone Recovery Arm is pretty useful if you use drones
>>
>>322149271
>>322149259
Oh my god fire beams are insane. I got one in sector 2 with the zoltan B and just toasted ships the whole way through. I think it's my highest scoring ship.
>>
>>322149639
It's only really useful on rock B since it has no airlocks. Fire is rarely a concern unless it's deep within, and even then opening more airlocks is always possible.
>>
I've only beaten Hard in Advanced edition once using the Federation A ship

That artillery beam is so good holy shit
You literally just need to focus on surviving, and that laser will eventually rip the boss to shreds
>>
File: 1446159097_Engiship3.png (83 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1446159097_Engiship3.png
83 KB, 700x700
What's your guys favorite ships or ships from mods?
>>
>>322149346
A lower tier agument would be:

Long Range Scanners
Drone Recovery Arm (only with a hull repairing drone)
Shield Charge Booster
Weapon Charge Booster

The rest of the Augments I instantly sell.

>>322149639
>Fire Supression System

You shouldnt have a problem with fires. Id suggest you to play with your ship with locks and doors open everywhere but manned rooms to quickly dispose of boarders and fires.
>>
File: FTL - Playing as Mantis B.gif (2 MB, 240x192) Image search: [Google]
FTL - Playing as Mantis B.gif
2 MB, 240x192
>>322149921
Gif says it all
>>
>>322146387
>Implying you need stealth weapons to make cloak useful

Only idiots who think it's only useful if you get it to level 3 need stealth weapons. Just the fact that you can 100% dodge any amount of incoming attacks is worth the cost + 1 power

Your defense drone isn't worth shit when the flagship throws a drone swarm or laser barrage at you
>>
File: 1381104593193.png (109 KB, 358x369) Image search: [Google]
1381104593193.png
109 KB, 358x369
>>322149875
the crystal ship with built in tp is the only one i bothered beating hard with. you get a gorillion scrap from beating everyone up with those overpowered crystal bastards
>>
>>322150248
>implying the second stage of the boss should take you more than a few seconds

>implying you need cloak to survive stage 3 when if you have the firepower you can easily kill the boss before it kils you.

You are better off investing those 180 scrap somewhere else.
>>
>>322148549

Everyone agrees that BLMkII is the way to go, but baring that, you just proved Flak makes a completely acceptable substitute
>>
>>322150192
Which mantis ship though?
>>
>>322150837
Nvm couldnt read filename
>>
>>322150586
>Why should you need defensive options
>You should just restart every time you don't get the top-tier weapons

I bet you don't even use ion bombs fag
>>
>>322150780
Flak is only useful if you pair it with beam weapons and time your attacks.

It will still be subpar though since Flak II is only really useful to break shields and you are better off disabling them.
>>
>ctrl+f breach
>0 results
The first bomb variant is insane for the power cost.
>>
>>322151018
>you dont get good weapons

7 sectos with average 2 shop per sector + quest weapon drops + quest shops + weapon merchans

Its about knowing how to arm yourself, not depending on getting lucky.
>>
>>322151089
Flak is OP as fuck.
>>
File: ftl stats.png (333 KB, 587x542) Image search: [Google]
ftl stats.png
333 KB, 587x542
post stats. About 90% of games are on hard.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00001.jpg (246 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00001.jpg
246 KB, 1280x720
>>322151780
normal mode

the skill masteries were from judicious use of the clone bay
>>
>>322151252
I cant tell you how many times I've run across shops that have no weapons...not to mention the fact that you can simply miss shops by taking a "wrong" path or being unable to get there in time before the Feds overrun the sector.
>>
File: help.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
help.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>322151780
>231-8
How do I git gud?
>>
>>322152556
nice man. love the ship names.
>>
>>322152801
I got good from watching a couple really good streamers. One of them being Billy1Kirby who doesn't stream FTL anymore, but has plenty of vids on twitch. Even watching a couple will give you insight on many FTL tricks and how to plan out routes and beat RNG most of the time. He's the guy with the 39 ship winstreak on hard btw. Looking through a guide also helps with finding out what weapons are good and when you should level up certain things etc.
>>
Anyone play the captains edition?
>>
>>322153076
>>322152801
for example a few tricks is might learn are the hacking drone trick and the trick of the turning off your shields before ions hit and letting them recharge instead of taking the ion hit.
>>
>>322141402
>wasting power for more than 5 seconds of cloak

L M A O
>>
File: sothisishell.png (115 KB, 1000x1030) Image search: [Google]
sothisishell.png
115 KB, 1000x1030
Hey, I'm back from napping and getting ready for a new years thing. Happy new years by the way folks, hope you enjoy your night whatever you're doing!

>>322145565
I forget that I can go after O2 honestly. I mostly use it to give my enemy something to repair instead of their weapons/shields/pilot/engine. Whenever I go for crew kills, its mostly with my teleporter crew.
So lvl 1 stealth is worth the scrap/power? I'll give a shot next time i play.

>>322145746
Yeah Doors are usually the 3rd thing I upgrade with medbay and oxygen being an extra thing when i have the spare scrap(usually thanks to my boarding party getting more scrap.) since they are pretty cheap i believe to get to lvl 2 and gives them more health so they dont fail as easily.

>>322146725
Pause button and I are good friends whenever I play FTL. I don't need to make split second decisions so why even do it?
I really have been considering trying out drones, in my 27 hours of FTL, I have never once tried using Drones. I just sell them despite missles being the reason why most of my good runs end in horrible failure.

I have been lucky enough to have a Zoltan a few times and I never thought of putting them in my shield room to always keep at least one shield. You're very helpful.

lvl 2 sensors? I dont usually go for these early game but I'm willing to try something new. Blue options are always great.

>mfw I finally get to the Last Stand for the 1st time and accidentally send a boarding party onto an auto scout with 3 shields and I only had a lvl 1 teleporter.
>>
File: bestrunever.jpg (147 KB, 1286x746) Image search: [Google]
bestrunever.jpg
147 KB, 1286x746
Had this run a while ago, that was pretty fun
>>
>>322146387
let me clear up this post a little as someone who's pretty good at the game and makes mods.
>>322151780 here
You don't need a drone system to win if you have cloak. This is especially true on bigger ship layouts where the drone becomes less effective at shooting things down.

Pilot level 2 isn't really needed.

Mind control is not useless. It lets you get crew kills easier which means more scrap.

Hacking is the most powerful system in the game, especially with mind control as that lets you crew kill almost every ship. The hacking trick lets you hack every ship in the game as well.

Cloak is never useless unless you have drone control already or know for a fact you going to get drone control on a ship that is good with it.

Never buy a clone bay or med bay switch, it is never worth the scrap

avoiding using Flak 1 (the best weapon in the game after Burst 2) and other weapons that can be useful will cost runs in games where weapons are sparse.

Everything else you said is fine
>>
File: IkKVfic.jpg (417 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IkKVfic.jpg
417 KB, 2048x1536
>>322144043
PRAISE THE FLAK GODS
>>
>>322146387
Mind control is useful as an endgame purchase to counter the flagship's MC
>>
>>322154845
This looks horrifying, how fast did the flagship go down?
>>
Strategy:

>Boarding
Good during game, bad during final boss. It was OP pre-AE and gave you nearly 2x the scrap that destroying the ship would. Now it gives between 1.2 and 1.4 times the amount. It can help to destroy segregated systems against the FB, but that's about it.
>Fire/Oxygen loss
OK during game, useless vs FB. Do not do this.
>Missles/Bombs
Meh during game, good against the 1st and 2nd FB phase, useless vs the 3rd Phase. This generally requires too many resources to be of much use. One missle or bomb weapon is a good supplementary weapon, and that's it.
>Ion/Beam
OK during game, OK during FB. The problem is it's too slow, and its only really possible to use with Ion Blast Mk II. Chain Ion is unreliable due to potential misses and the long cooldown. It works wonders again 3rd phase FB though.
>Drones
Combat drones are OK during game, and iffy against FB. They can take out shields and rooms, but are untargetable and can be knocked down often.
>Laser/Flak
OK during game, perfect for FB. This should be the focus, with every other strategy merely supplementing this one. You need to hit through 4-10 levels of shields quickly, and this is the only strategy that can reliably do so (save for Ion Burst II).

Weapons:

Some weapons are useful in certain situations, while other weapons are strictly better than others.

>God Tier:
Burst Laser Mk II

>Top Tier:
Flak Mk I
Ion Blast Mk II

>Good Tier (Workable Weapons):
Chain Vulcan
Chain Ion

>OK Tier (Nothing else available)
Burst Laser Mk I
Flak Mk II
Chain Burst Laser
Ion Blast
Heavy Ion
Glaive Beam

>Horrible Tier (Do not load these even if you get them for free):
Everything else.

Protip: Do not sell weapons immediately even if they're horrible. Each type of weapon has several blue options associated with it. Only sell them once you have 2-3 items in your cargo already, or you've hit sector 6.
>>
>tfw you had that error that fucked up all your save progress
fuck everything, there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to get crystal cruiser again without using the Rock C babbymode strat.
>>
>>322155026
Augment focus

>God Tier:
Scrap Recovery (You could legitimately buy this on sector 6, sometimes even sector 7, and it pays for itself)

>Top Tier:
Long Range Scanners (Partially because it can save a lot of fuel and hull damage in the long run, but also the 8 extra blue options you get just from having this augment).
Weapon Pre-Igniter

>Good Tier:
Automated Reloader

>Top Tier (Setup Dependent):
Drone Recovery (Hull Repair or Hacking + Boarding Strategies)
Stealth Weapons (Cloaking)
Backup DNA / Reconstructive Teleport (Clone Bay requires both)

>Ok Tier:
Shield Charge Booster

>Average Tier:
Nearly everything else. Keep what you want until you get one of the above Augments, sell what you don't.

>Shit Tier (Actually go out of your way to sell this as quickly as possible)
Repair Arm (You will lose money by keeping this).

Crew Focus

>Top Tier
Engi
Rockmen

On top of the fact that both are extremely useful to have around the ship for repair / boarding reasons, both unlock 6+ blue options that can happen anywhere.

>Good Tier
Mantis (Mantis move to God tier on a boarding ship)
Zoltan

>Ok Tier
Slug
Lanius
Crystal (Moves to God Tier on a boarding ship)

Lanius and Slug actually have a TON of blue options (21 between them), but they only activate in their respective sectors.

>WTF are you doing tier
Human
>>
>>322155191
Systems:
No tiers here, everything's necessary. Some are more important to upgrade sooner than others though.

>Engines
Upgrade whenever, but no further than level 5. 95% evasion with cloak should be more than fine - if you can't handle the 1 or 2 shots that get to you through that evasion, you weren't going to win with 100% evasion anyways.

>Shields
Other anon already said it, do not go past 3. It costs way too fucking much, and for virtually no reward. Do upgrade to level 2 shields by the end of the 3rd sector if possible.

>Weapons
Honestly, you have to play it by ear and upgrade whenever necessary.

>Sensors
Upgrade this by the end of Sector one. It offers 17 fucking blue options.

>Piloting
Upgrade this whenever. It only offers 3 blue options and doesn't really give anything good.

>Oxygen
Upgrade this only when necessary. It offers a single blue option and you shouldn't need it's benefit.

>Medbay
Upgrade this by the end of Sector two, and preferably before. It offers 9 blue options.

>Doors
Upgrade this by 3rd sector or have a dedicated Doors man.

Cloaking = Drone Control > Hacking > Mind Control.
~Teleport~

Cloaking offers 7 blue options. It's also extremely useful.
Drone Control offers 15 blue options, but you have to have the appropriate drone for that situation. With a Defense Drone your missile worries go away.
You only truely need one or the other between cloak and drone. You can go with both if you want, but it's unnecessary.
Hacking offers 13 blue options but each one requires drone use. Proper Hacking can wreck the FB's shields or Missile use.
Mind Control offers 5 blue options. With Hacking it can be useful to destroy single systems, but you can do the same with a missle. Without Hacking it's not terribly useful.
Teleport is either the best system or the worst system depending on your crew makeup. It does offer 11 blue options.
>>
>>322155191
>not moving lanius to top tier on boarding
Having the ability to starve rooms of oxygen can be invaluable, especially if you fuck up their oxygen room with a bomb or missile.
>>
>>322145048
>All this for a 4th shield that is kind of pointless with the right build.
This one I can actually agree with, 4th shield is not the best use of money usually.
>The last 3 leves of the engine costs you; system(120 + 80 + 60) reactor(30 +30 +30) = 350
>All this for 9% evasion
I don't have the maths to support this, but basically you're wrong. Additional evasion when you already have some is more valuable than the evasion you initially get, so even though the percents are smaller, they are more significant in terms of effective hp.
>All this for a 15 sec cloak that stops if you fire weapons on a 20s cd.
Cloak is one of the best systems, and extremely useful against the flagship. I could agree with not needing to upgrade it, but that's all.
>>
>>322155460

Lanius is only Top Tier boarding if you're running a strictly Lanius boarding team.

2-3 Crystal Boarders are also better than 2-3 Lanius Boarders, and Mantis Boarders are better in every other way.

You are right though, Lanius moves to Top Tier for boarding teams.
>>
File: 1440173517684.jpg (46 KB, 423x525) Image search: [Google]
1440173517684.jpg
46 KB, 423x525
>>322141402
Weapons, you dumbass, weapons.
>>
File: gyro.jpg (42 KB, 328x210) Image search: [Google]
gyro.jpg
42 KB, 328x210
>>322154845
>That build
KEEP FIRING UNTIL THEY SEE THE GLOW OF OUR BARRELS
>>
>>322155587

The maths are against you.

The last 3% is 100% unnecessary and useless. When you cloak you get 60% more evasion. You're at 31% when you hit level 7, and 41% when it's manned, which it always is.

Meaning at level 7 engines you should never be getting hit when it matters (when you cloak) and your shields take care of everything else. At level 5 you get hit 5% of the time when it matters, and you should easily be able to handle a hit 5% of the time. If you can't, you're not going to win no matter your engine level.
>>
>>322155191
>Top tier
>Rockmen
Huh?
I'm honestly struggling to find a reason to keep even one aboard.
>>
>>322155026
I know this is your opinion and stuff but there's a lot wrong here objectively. I'm not going to go over your strategy as that's something you should get a hang of + I don't feel like reading it, but your weapon rankings are not good at all.

First off chain vulcan and chain ion are not good weapons they are a noobs trap and Burst Laser Mk 1's are above them. You also forget to mention Heavy Laser 1's which are one of the best 4 slot ship weapons around. You don't talk about the Halberd beam which is probably the best beam weapon next to the minibeam. You don't talk about Hull Laser II which is an okay weapon, better than Vulcan and Chain Ion for sure. You don't talk about Heavy Laser II which is one of the best 3 slot ship weapons. Bombs have their uses as well, but are more niche/used when no other good weapons available.
>>322155191
I agree with most of your Augment section though Weapon Pre-Igniter should not be that high and shield charge booster arguably higher

As for races. each fulfill a particular place on the ship. Slugs deserve to be higher though. They are the best pilots in the game and free scanners level 2 allowing for mindcontrol in nebulas is nothing to scoff at.
>>322155459
Systems depend on a lot of stuff. You seem to have the gist of it though you don't need to upgrade medbay at all. Piloting only if your going into nebulas and want to chance the common blue event there. Sensor's not really necessary. I agree with the subsystems I suppose.

My basis for all these are hard mode btw.
>>
>>322156858
>though you don't need to upgrade medbay at all

Fuck you, you're an idiot.

You don't upgrade the medbay for the healing, you upgrade it for the blue text thats fucking everywhere. Seriously, sensors and medbay unlock a shit ton of blue options that are just better then the random ass chance the game likes to fuck you over with.
>>
>>322157065
no you really don't. Watch the best player in the world with a 39 winstreak. Never upgrades that shit even at the boss. It's objectively wrong. Stop spouting misinformation. Save the scrap for weapons or other things.

But do whatever makes you think you're hot shit I guess. lmao.
>>
File: ss (2014-04-20 at 01.36.18).jpg (108 KB, 446x524) Image search: [Google]
ss (2014-04-20 at 01.36.18).jpg
108 KB, 446x524
I wish I had never 100%'d this game.
I wish I had never sunk hundreds of hours into it.
I hate it so much.
Same with BoI.
Same with XCOM.
I have problems.
>>
>3 shields
>Fair to middling engines
>Chaingun Laser, Heavy Laser, Burst Laser 2 and Pegasus Missile
>Dead on Flagship Phase 2

This was on Kestral
>>
>>322155587
>I don't have the maths to support this
Level 5 Engines= 25% evade
Cloak= 60% evade

That leaves you at 95% evade if your rooms are manned by crew without leveling their skills. 99% With Pilot + Engine skill level 1 crew. 105% with both at skill level 2.

There is no reason to use those 350 scrap to upgrade levels 6-7-8.

And if you have pilot + engine crew at level 2 you can save up 70 more scrap and still keep 100% dodge with cloak by keeping your engine at level 4.

I advince against this though since crew can be killed.
>>
>>322157269

fuck you idiot, go parrot some more shit somewhere else. 35 scrap is not going to break your bank. Specially considering it allows you to get considerably more scrap down the road if RNG favors you.

So go fuck off with your shitty opinions.
>>
File: ss (2014-04-15 at 10.29.15).jpg (89 KB, 383x571) Image search: [Google]
ss (2014-04-15 at 10.29.15).jpg
89 KB, 383x571
>>
>>322157314
Makes a world of difference to have cloak and/or defense drones for that final fight. Shields alone will not save you from the missiles and rapid blasts of everything.

Also, using teleporter to kill off the forward weapons of the flagship is a HUGE help.
>>
>>322157281
how can you hate this game and play it so much? just got sick of it?
>>
>>322157501
whatever I guess I'll just keep my sweet winrate on hard. I just hate shitters like you posting your "strats" and "good weapons to use" on here like you know something. Go play normal or whatever your pleb ass does. You probably don't even have 500 hours in the game fucking casual scum.
>>
File: ss (2014-04-15 at 11.09.05).jpg (361 KB, 1286x748) Image search: [Google]
ss (2014-04-15 at 11.09.05).jpg
361 KB, 1286x748
>>322157742
I realized how shit it was by hour 200 but I kept playing it anyways. I don't know why.
>>
>>322157740
I try the best I can, but the game isn't giving me enough time or scrap.

Say whatever you want about skill or strategy. The random events are the real deciding factor in a roguelike.
>>
>>322157847
It sounds more like you burnt out, I can't see myself playing a game for 200 hours and say it was shit
>>
>>322157750
the butthurt is strong with this one.

Is baby mad someone is playing his favorite game different? its ok, I'm sure mommy will be home soon to coddle you.
>>
>>322157896
In a single game, absolutely. But skill and strategy are going to bring your win percentage way up.
>>
File: ss (2014-04-21 at 09.56.38).jpg (345 KB, 1286x748) Image search: [Google]
ss (2014-04-21 at 09.56.38).jpg
345 KB, 1286x748
>>322157956
No, I could write a two page essay on all the flaws this game has. Both shit that's wrong in the very basic level, and nuanced bullshit. I've done it before, too, but I won't do it again. It's bad for me.
>>
>>322157983
Look you autistic fuck. You deliberately left out good weapons to use in favor of the fucking Vulcan and Chain Ion. Need I say more? You might fool some plebs like yourself, but I'm trying to save people from falling into narb traps like you. I'm sure they'd rather listen to some random scrub like you or someone who actually gets their info from the best players in the world. Don't take everything so personal. Your opinion was shit and objectively wrong. Deal with it.
>>
>>322158237
Tell me the flaws anon
>>
>>322158296
The guy who wrote that wasnt the same guy replying to you, you autistic fuck. I would know, cause I didn't write all of >>322155459
>>
>>322158804
fuck if I care. Post a shitty tier list on /v/ of all places and complain it gets critiqued in a not unfair way because it's objectively wrong? Literally a fucking 12 year olds reaction.
>>
File: clip (2014-04-16 at 12.50.53).jpg (249 KB, 1277x719) Image search: [Google]
clip (2014-04-16 at 12.50.53).jpg
249 KB, 1277x719
>>322158485
I won't go into detail.
>Missiles meta is fucking stupid, undefeatable in early sectors, only serves to slap you with occasional unavoidable damage and further solidify cloaking as the single most OP thing in the game
>Absolutely terrible weapon balance. Burst lasers and flak are king. Ion is practically dogshit. Missiles can't be relied on, can't be used to squeeze out as much scrap as you can, which is already a run-ruiner in higher difficulties or certain ships
>Challenge ships are extremely poorly implemented, nearly all of them just rely on luck in early sectors so that you don't run into a beam drone/scout/what the fuck ever.
>Lack of ship variety, which is incredible that they've fucked it up when it's so simple to implement. Nearly all the ships end up the same, you almost always end up selling your ship's special perk or what the fuck ever and just get the stale bread that you know whacks hard. The only difference is the early sectors, and it's almost always a difference for the worst
>Random encounters are piss-fucking-poor and lack ANY depth, nearly all of them have one obvious best choice (and part of the "learning curve" is just memorizing all of them so you know what the best choice is). Blue options are just shitty space bingo, since they are so random and spread out all over the place. No way to influence what kind of events you get except with nebula beacons, which are always the inferior option.
>FUCKING DEFENSE DRONES ARE THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT I HAVE EVER SEEN WHY WHY WOULD YOU EVER DO THIS, WHY WOULD YOU EVER INTENTIONALLY CODE THIS, HAVE YOU NO SOUL
>Enemies gain anti-drone drones in AE. Literally fucking why?
>Boarding braindead OP and only requires micromanaging
>Aiming for different zones is basically just stupid flavor. You aim for shields 40% of the time, weapons 40% of the time, and cockpit or engines the remaining 20%. That is, provided you're not boarding, in which case you only ever aim for medbay pretty much
>>
Does an upgraded Clone Bay give any blue options anywhere?
>>
Are you guys using Captains mod or normal version on steam?
>>
>everybody hating on flak 2
I don't get it. Sure it's slow, but it has the best damage/power ratio besides the heavy crystal, and is pretty much guaranteed to take down all the shields for mere 3 power. Pair it with a beam or two and it's all you will ever need.
>>
>>322159058

But I didnt post a tier list, I just said you were a fucking idiot for not upgrading your medbay to take advantage of the numerous blue options it opens up. 35 scrap is pissant in the long run and you're a fool for ignoring it.
>>
>>322159517
I'm having fun with Captain's edition, infinite sectors, random loot, random ship, random flagship.
>>
git gud
>>
why does killing all enemy crew give them a powerup in the form of autorepair AI shit on the flagship

the autorepair stuff be better turned on by default

counterintuitive shit
>>
>>322159565
look. I used to do this. I win half my games on hard and don't do this. I used to do it when I played normal, and you have that kind of extra scrap. The best player in the world doesn't do it Billy1Kirby. He's won 39 games in a row on stream and has a 90% winrate. Arguably the second best Twinge doesn't do it. Am I going to go back and do that again. No Thirty five scrap isn't nothing on hard, especially sector 1 when you desperately need a weapon or second weapon. It's just not worth it in my opinion. Do whatever you want, but calling me a fuck for doing what "is objectively best" is just blatant retardism.
>>
File: ss (2014-05-06 at 03.20.19).png (60 KB, 384x340) Image search: [Google]
ss (2014-05-06 at 03.20.19).png
60 KB, 384x340
>>322159896
It's so you have a way to do hull damage. It's HELPING you out.
>>
>>322160028

"objectively best" is pretty shit argument really. You have no way of knowing for sure that its utmost objectively wrong to spend the scrap on the medbay. Just because two people do it doesn't make it the best strategy ever...just the one that works for them.

You're still a fucking absolute retard if you tell people not to upgrade their medbay when playing, for 99% of the playerbase IT IS THE BETTER FUCKING OPTION. Having those blue options saves your ass rather then ruining the entire run by losing a wrong crew member.

Stop being such an autismal cuntbag.
>>
>>322160074

you....i like you
>>
Multiplayer when?
>>
>>322160457
I'd like to see you in bootcamp.
>Who the fuck says trigger discipline is necessary, just because SOME people use it DOESN'T MEAN IT'S A GOOD IDEA
>>
>>322159353

sometimes, most of the time it only allows you to clone your nigga when a lower level clown bay wouldn't let you
>>
>>322160840
Oh, like in those fucking disease space stations?
>>
>>322149346
>>322150002
I find Repair Arm to be a godsend on Hard
>>
>>322160930
The best strategy, especially for Hard, is to get hit as little as possible and use scrap elsewhere.
Repair Arm is incompatible with that strategy, thus it's bad.
>>
>>322160457
no it really doesn't. Not on hard. Getting level 2 shields immediately and more weapons saves your ass. Not getting damaged saves your ass. Blue events for medbay are almost always extra crew which doesn't help as much as buying other necessities on hard. Also these blue events that you are so fond of for the medbay are often taken care of by rockmen and engi. Not sure where that guy gets his 17 blue events for medbay because that certainly ain't true. Do you just spout what you hear?

Stop being such a fucking pleb.
>>
>>322160930
>I want to have even less scrap
Anon, you ok?
>>
Im on my way to beat the boss on easy with the A layout torus equipped with three attack drones, a mk2 burst laser and two ion weapons.

Will I win?
>>
>>322161141

He said 17 blue events for sensors.

9 blue options for medbay.

I think you have reading problems.
>>
>>322161584
What defenses do you have?
>>
>>322161584

do you have cloak? then yes
>>
>>322161651
doesn't matter it still isn't 9. It's more like 2. You still like those medbays fuckboy?

here let me spoon feed you like the pleb you are.
http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Medbay
>>
>>322159342
>ion weapons suck
Fuck you buddy, a pair of stunners/blasters can take down permanently any amount of shields while only costing two power bars together. Or three bars if you prefer mk. 2 or chain.

>rng sucks
Yeah, you can't win all encounters. Sometimes it's better to run or to accept a surrender to minimize losses. It's like poker, if you know your chances you will still win in the long run.

>missiles suck
You really aren't meant to use only missiles alone. They are decent accessory weapons though, especially if you are playing on hard and can't afford to choose. If you make them a vital part of your loadout without a scrambler you will probably lose though.

>challenge ships suck and all the ships end up the same
Yeah, this is a big problem with the game. You really need to get one of the few ideal loadouts or die trying, and you need to be an rngesus to get all the components to success with shitty ships that start with nothing good, or to even get past the first sector without huge losses.
>>
>>322161141

>>322161141

On the one hand you're right, most of the medbay blue options are just for gaining members or not dieing. Medbay definitely doesn't need to be upgraded ever.

On the other hand you seem to be spouting nonsense too, since he definitely said 17 sensor events, not medbay.

And sensors definitely do have 17 events.

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Options

Most of the sensor ones give you a medium-high amount of scrap, occasionally give you a map, and the one offs are either getting crew members, getting an upgrade, or getting a fight when otherwise you'd have had an empty sector.

Basically:
Do not upgrade Medbay, most blue events are crew related.
Definitely upgrade sensors, most blue events are money, map, or upgrade related.
>>
>>322162000
>http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Medbay

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Options

Looks like 9 to me.

It's not the only thing that opens up blue options, but it's more likely you'll have an upgraded medbay than a slug 2 sectors in.
>>
>>322162548
>>322162757
Guess your right it is 9. My bad, but willing to admit it. I'd still never upgrade it though.
>>
>>322162296
>permanently
Permanently until your enemy dodges. And in the latter sectors, they will dodge a lot. So not very permanently.
Even when everything goes smooth, they are SLOW. Unfathomably slow. "You will never stop a FTL jump" slow. "You already ate 3 letos to the face" slow. "oh fuck it's a sun why didn't I buy long range scanners" slow.
You know what keeps shields down permanently?
A strong initial burst AKA flaknburst
>>
>>322156858

>Sensors not really necessary

>25 Scrap for single upgrade

>Opens up 17 blue options
>9 blue options related to getting scrap, several of which also give you a map or an item
>5 blue options giving you a fight in an otherwise eventless sector
>3 blue options related to upgrades or fuel

I agree wholeheartedly with your medbay analysis. I disagree entirely that BL Mk 1's are above Vulcan's. But neither of those are what I care about.

How the fuck do you think getting Sensor level 2 is NOT necessary on Hard (unless you somehow get LRS in literally every game)?
>>
>>322148549

BLMk II x 4 gives you 12 shots on it's first volley. 8 of which get past the shields if you're luck.

Flk II + Flk II + BL Mk II (or Flk I) gives you 17 shots on it's first volley, 13 of which get past the shields. These aren't targeted either, they're area focused.

13 shots or 8 shots past the shields? I'd prefer 13, but that's just me.
>>
>>322163486
Here's my argument, try not to get mad like the last guy. As for the Sensor's not being worth it. 1. You can man it so the upgrade is worthless besides the blue options. 2. 25 scrap isn't nothing. Look at this way. On hard mode your likely to get less than 100 scrap in the first sector. Getting level 2 shields before the second sector is vital and getting another weapon before sector 3 is also vital. You need lots of bars of power to power these in addition to the system slots. The way to win on hard isn't always to maximize scrap gains. It's why buying the scrap recovery arm is also a bad idea. You can easily win on hard without this extra scrap, and just by using the scrap that you DO get to minimize damage done and increase the damage that you do. It's much safer. For instance that lost 25 scrap early on could cost you the weapon you need at the early shop and other shops into sector 4 may not have a weapon at all. In essense you don't need the extra scrap from blue options that might come your way to win and the opportunity cost of sensor level 2 could lose you the game earlier in the game.

As for the MK I bust being better than the Vulcan. The Vulcan is 4 power weapon that effectively takes 30 seconds to reach it's full potential. In that amount of time you are going to take damage while basically dealing none. Imaging having 2 burst MK I's with that same 4 power. It's just so much better and costs the same power. The first volley happens much faster and is much more powerful. The first volley is everything in FTL. MK 1's are also much easier to build off of than Vulcans.
>>
>>322163969
They give you 8 shots that you can target at the shields and then 12 more shots in when you disabled the shields for a total of 20 hits.

The flakII takes almost twice the time to charge as a burst mk2 and will always be faced with shields because of the long charge time and lack of targeting.
>>
>>322163358
With max crew stats they have to dodge 2-3 in a row to get rid of the ion cancer, if you are using two ion weapons with desynced cooldowns. Also, as said, only two power bars. In theory, you can fuck up any ship with only 3 weapon bars, and 5 is plenty enough even in practise. Allows you to invest all that extra scrap into defense drones or cloaking to not tank those letos. And yes, cloaking and jumpers kinda counter the ions, but that's why you have boarders, hacking, or small bomb.

Sure there are better loadouts when it comes to pure firepower, but if you have boarding or drones or whatever the else you want to use, it's hard to beat the cost efficiency of ions. Especially on hard where you can't have it all.
>>
File: file.png (748 KB, 1269x711) Image search: [Google]
file.png
748 KB, 1269x711
for my first times playing i did normal runs
i've been trying to get the federation cruiser
>>
>>322165436
damn man. I feel for you. I kind of want to take your gamefile and crush a few games for you.
>>
>>322147714
>Hello, reddit.
hello, faggot
>>
>>322164783
To expand on this;

In 42 seconds you shoot your flak combo two times and your laser combo 3 times.

Flak:
>21 seconds charge
1rst volley; 17 damage, 13 get past the shields, untargeted
>21 seconds later
2nd volley; 17 damage, 13 get past the shields, untargeted

Total 26 damage, untargeted, 42 seconds

Laser:
>13 seconds charge
1rst volley; 12 damage, 8 get past the shields, targeted
>13 seconds later
2nd volley; 12 damage, 12 get past the shields (since you destroyed them), targeted
>13 seconds later
3rds volley; 12 damage, 12 get past the shields (since you destroyed them), targeted

Total 32 damage, targeted, 39 seconds

Not to mention that being able to target your weapons is a key factor in the game to destroy weapons systems of dangerous ships, destroy pilot systems to prevent them fleeing, destroy shield systems to do damage, destroy drone system to prevent damage etc.

Flak is unreliable and subpar in every aspect.
>>
At what point should I activate the advanced version?
>>
>>322145565
>go for the O2, that way you can get more scrap and a chance at items/crew for keeping the ship intact

Is there absolutely any way to do this to drone ships? Or are we forced to kill them?
>>
>>322166014
from the start or optionally after 2 or 3 games.
>>
Are boarding drones usable?
>>
>>322141402
10/10 boner popping intensity
>>
>>322166139
you have to kill them.
>>322166168
not really, unless you start with one with the mantis B in which case it's good for killing drone ships early on. It's never really worth it to buy a boarding drone though if you get one you can use it to augment teleporter crew attacks if you're desperate.
>>
File: 2015-04-24_00001.jpg (375 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-24_00001.jpg
375 KB, 1920x1080
>That feel when you want to play other ships, but keep going back to your favorite.
>>
File: top scores.png (680 KB, 1296x758) Image search: [Google]
top scores.png
680 KB, 1296x758
>that feel when shitzillion games played restarting to try and get the crystal cruiser

How pleb am I
>>
>>322166816
ouch..
>>
I've never beat this game but I also haven't played it much. Which is smarter, running straight for the jump to the next area or goofing off exploring?
>>
File: cool story mark.jpg (26 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
cool story mark.jpg
26 KB, 720x404
>>322166816
>christmas boop
>lonely boop
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00001.jpg (223 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00001.jpg
223 KB, 1280x720
>tfw
>>
I was wondering if there`s a way to purposefuly allow the fire to remain on the ship with a high enough door level and oxygen for whatever reason.
>>
>>322166940
you need to hit every possible jump in each sector you can. Do this to maximize scrap.
>>
>>322165436

>most scrap collected

>1200~

there is your problem
>>
File: 1450030510954.png (124 KB, 540x527) Image search: [Google]
1450030510954.png
124 KB, 540x527
>>322167145
fire won't go past level 2 doors, but will burn out due to fire using up oxygen. I think oxygen level 2 should be enough to keep it going. Not sure though. I assume you mean your own ship.
>mfw I'm answering almost every question in this thread.
>>
Protip for early sectors.

Even if it seems frivolous, upgrade a 3rd level of shielding on the early/first sector even if you can't the 4th level to allow two shields. This prevents a single lucky missile/other weapon shot from taking out all your shields and ruining your day.
>>
Has anyone had FTL become super fucking laggy in windowed mode? I have no idea what happened but last week FTL just became extremely laggy when in windowed mode and only windowed mode to my knowledge I have not changed any graphic settings.
>>
>>322167269
should i try to search out more enemies?
>>
>>322167707
download more RAM
>>
>>322168089

Not only enemies, but yes. You live and die by your scrap count.
>>
>>322167145
Wait, do you mean a rockman ship permanently on fire outside of system rooms?

>BOARD THEM!KILL THE-
>THERE'S FIRE EVERYWHERE WHAT THE FUCK?
>>
>>322168907
I'm fairly certain the enemy won't board where there are fires, just like they won't board where there is no air unless the entire ship is airless.
>>
>>322169080
Why aren't there fire based defense systems though?
>>
>>322169309
well you can trap them in a room and fire bomb your own ship anon.
>>
I hate this game
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00001.jpg (273 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00001.jpg
273 KB, 1920x1080
Pic related, I'm heading in to fight the final boss like this.
What the hell should I do with all this scrap? I've found literally NO weapons worth taking this run, so I'm abusing flak and preloaders to try and get an early crippling.
Should I just cruise around until I find ANYTHING better than flak 1 for taking out shields?
>>
>>322170806
how are you going to take down the shields with 1 flak
>>
>>322141402
so is there a sequel or anything announced? whats next for FTL?
>>
>>322170806
If that's on hard you are FUCKED.

Start upgrading your cloak and shields and whatever else.
>>
>>322170907
he has level 3 hacking. Granted he might run out of drones before then.
>>
>>322170907
I don't have any fucking idea.

>>322171020
I just threw everything into cloak, with the battery hopefully picking up slack on shields.

>>322171074
Do you think I can brute-force a drone onto the shields and pray to god I can Pike faster than it can missile?
>>
File: cat.png (191 KB, 1431x932) Image search: [Google]
cat.png
191 KB, 1431x932
>>322141402
>game is based entirely on RNG
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00002.jpg (412 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00002.jpg
412 KB, 1920x1080
TOO LATE NOW HERE WE GO
>>
>>322171138
let me give you some pro advice for where you are in the game right now. Pick up mind control if you can. or you will absolutely lose the final phase of the boss. Pick up another small weapon if you can (to replace the bio-beam) and some crew. Just use the drone hacking trick to get the hacking drone on any ship you want. You should be droning shields and firing at shields on the boss. Then the missiles and other stuff.
>>
>>322171194
git gud fgt
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00003.jpg (417 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00003.jpg
417 KB, 1920x1080
>>322171340
Couldn't find anything in time, I'm afraid.

I think this hack just lost me the run.
>>
>>322171551
>77 missiles

Damn son. That's legitimately enough to beat the boss with.
>>
>>322165865
Nice theorycrafting dude. Except you fail to take into account the fact that many hits miss, and you likely won't manage to hit all of the lasers to the shields. Also flaks aren't "untargeted", with a large 2x2 room, such as flagship shields, almost everything hits where you aim. As such you probably deal way more damage to shields with flaks than with burst lasers.

Also flaks have much better shield/hullshot ratio. Smaller percentage of your projectiles get stuck on shields. Especially useful if your priority is something else than downing the shields first.

And that is only for the fantasy situation where you get to choose 4 burst mk2s. Paired with beams, flaks are way superior.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00005.jpg (417 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00005.jpg
417 KB, 1920x1080
>>322171861
It's a shame I don't have anything that uses missiles, or I'd abuse the hell out of it
The only weapon I've managed to find this run was the Pike Beam in Sector 2, and I had to sell an augment to get it.

Also, I forgot flak distracts defense drones.
We might win this after all.
>>
>>322171551
Jump away and come back, you dip.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00006.jpg (413 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00006.jpg
413 KB, 1920x1080
>>322172291
FEAR IS THE MINDKILLER
>>
File: 1447643527002.jpg (50 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
1447643527002.jpg
50 KB, 380x380
>start run with kestral B
>first battle
>enemy missle immediately hits my weapons
>try to repair
>enemy missle hits my shield
>everything just goes to shit
or
>use federation A
>only seeing engis and zoltans in stores through-out the run and no anti-personnel drones
>get good offense and defense though otherwise
>get to later sectors
>get my shit fucked up by constant intruders EVERY SINGLE BATTLE because all i have is an engi, two rockmen, and a human(the mantis i had got killed by an RNG choice)

How the fuck do you manage to have an all-around good run? I can never get crew teleporter early to salvage ships easier. It's so rare, and then when I finally do get it, I never find mantis at shops. I end up having to settle with humans or rockmen and it never ends up being good enough.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00007.jpg (276 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00007.jpg
276 KB, 1920x1080
>>322172583
FIRE IS THE BODYKILLER
>>
>>322172105
Burst Laser Mk II are objectively the best weapon in the game. Everyone that knows his shit agrees on this.
>>
>>322172826

OPEN ALL YOUR DOORS MOTHERFUCKER...
OXYGEN WILL DISPERSE EVENLY ALLOWING YOU TO FILL THAT DAMN ROOM WITH SOME SORT OF HOPE
>>
>>322172982
Yeah but the chance of getting nothing but burst lasers is still rare. You have a higher chance of getting flak + beam.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00008.jpg (372 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00008.jpg
372 KB, 1920x1080
>>322173007
First thing I tried.
O2 was at 15 throughout the ship, and opening it didn't make enough of a difference.
Some day I'll get better with this fucking ship.
By far my worst.
>>
>>322173007
>15%
woudln't it just kill them off faster?
>>
>>322173210

He was pretty fucked no matter what really, all he could hope for was the chance in hell that it gave the room a % or 2 to finish repairing before everyone died.

>>322173204
Slug ship was never my favorite either.
>>
>>322173204
>one day I'll be good with this ship
>got to fucking flagship
>complaining

I can't even git gud with the good ships, fuck you.
>>
>>322172826
You still have 15% oxygen. Find the rooms and open the right doors (the door to the room where your two guys are standing might be enough) and you can get enough oxygen into the medbay for you to rush and fix it with your 3 guys, then upgrade it once for it to outheal the damage, and then fix the oxygen.

You blew it already though, didn't you?
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00009.jpg (428 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00009.jpg
428 KB, 1920x1080
>>322173390
Something about the layout rubs me the wrong way with it.

>>322173705
I've had a lot more time on this game than I should have. Keep trying, anon. I know you can do it!

>>322173753
Hell yeah I fucked it up already.
The rooms around the visible ones were already evacuated of air. The run was over.

Round 2: even more annoying edition
>>
kestrel C seems shitty what can it do?
>>
>>322172982
>everyone who knows his shit agrees
Overall, I agree. But you don't know your shit, in fact your shit was all wrong and pretty retarded. And there are situations where flaks are objectively better, such as taking down shield bubbles for other weapons.
>>
>>322174137
Thats why you have to level O2. So you have a 1 damage buffer.
>>
File: Ship Image8.jpg (336 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Ship Image8.jpg
336 KB, 1366x768
>>322174137
why don't you play on my slugship senpai
>>
File: DIE.jpg (35 KB, 810x466) Image search: [Google]
DIE.jpg
35 KB, 810x466
get the game from the sale
have no problems getting shields/weapons/upgrades
get screwed over from meteor showers/teleporters/wanting to help out distress signals/emp bombs/events.

making a decent ship but getting screwed on everything else is bullshit.
game wont even let me get to sector 5, was playing on normal was going great for a handful of runs then every run after that screwed me over in less then a handfull of jumps not even letting me leave sector 1.
change to easy and its exactly the same.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00010.jpg (311 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00010.jpg
311 KB, 1920x1080
>>322174696
Damn, that's a sexy ship.
Is that the Captain's Edition mod?

Meanwhile, an early Mantis saves the day from a better ship.
>>
File: Ship Image 3.jpg (341 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Ship Image 3.jpg
341 KB, 1366x768
>>322175141
no it's one of the modded ships I made. Keep posting.
>>
>>322174320
All kestrels are boring and ugly as fuck, but are also good and well rounded.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00011.jpg (289 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00011.jpg
289 KB, 1920x1080
I like the shape of this one, but it looks spread REALLY thin on upgrades.

The crew finds a burst laser II, and not a moment too soon. Goddamn Zoltan bureaucrats can't dodge forever.
>>
>>322175450
How is that balanced on any level? Does the first shield upgrade cost 500 scrap?
>>
File: Ship Image 222.jpg (339 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Ship Image 222.jpg
339 KB, 1366x768
>>322175698
but it's pretty strong senpai, just a little rough of a start.
>>
>>322175778
>How is that balanced
It's not. You expect anon to know anything about balance?
>>
FTL SEQUEL WHEN???????????????
>>
File: Ship Image9.jpg (337 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Ship Image9.jpg
337 KB, 1366x768
>>322175778
what this anon said ->
>>322175879
>>
>>322173007

Nope, the atmos system in the game isn't realistic. If a room is at zero and another is at 100% oxigen and you open a door between them, you end up with two zero oxygen rooms.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00012.jpg (338 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00012.jpg
338 KB, 1920x1080
Balance is for people who hate fun, anyway.

After "liberating" an Engi, the crew runs for their lives from a Rebel ambush.
>>
>>322141402
git gud
spacebar
power distribute
15 sec cloak is useless against boss
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00014.jpg (304 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00014.jpg
304 KB, 1920x1080
AS IT WAS FORETOLD, SO SHALL IT BE

Virus the almighty descends to join the crew.
>>
File: file.png (1023 KB, 1271x721) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1023 KB, 1271x721
i'm not ready
>>
>>322177095
run is looking strong besides the ship health
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00015.jpg (229 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00015.jpg
229 KB, 1920x1080
>>322177469
Good luck, anon.

>>322177478
Aaaand we're golden.

Think I should drop Repair Gel and the Artemis for a Clone Bay? Might be decent. Keeps the Burst II and Healing intact...
>>
>>322177469
How the hell did that get you to the last level in the first place? That's barely sufficient for 6th level.
>>
>>322143202
>implying NWN is not all about character building
>implying pausing can redeem anything if your character is built like shit
>>
>>322177667
what should i disable with the hack system?
>>322177679
the SWARM also i had to run from the last ship since i also lost a rock crew mate
>>
File: file.png (707 KB, 1283x731) Image search: [Google]
file.png
707 KB, 1283x731
aand that's gg
i sold my long range radar for a reverse ion shield
>>
File: 1444671206360.jpg (10 KB, 346x466) Image search: [Google]
1444671206360.jpg
10 KB, 346x466
>tfw finally beat Slug A after 2 weeks of failure after failure

Witness me
>>
>>322177808
I'd probably hack the shields, I guess?
You're gonna get fucked UP by the missiles, so you might as well try to laser them down before they completely ruin your day.
>>
>>322177965
You made a good choice with that Reverse Ion, Anon
>>
>>322177808
good luck anon, make the federation proud
>>
File: file.png (758 KB, 1267x725) Image search: [Google]
file.png
758 KB, 1267x725
what engi build do i try after this?
i missiled the missile launchers and it breached so i might be able to kill the dude
>>
>tfw you're on your way to kick the mothership's ass and some random mook ship lucks out and fucks you over.
>>
>>322146028
Kestrel isn't bad, there are much better ships but it's avarage. Still, if you can beat the game with kestrel you can do that again with half the roster
>>
>>322179543
never forget the AI is actually out to kill you in this game, anon
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00017.jpg (302 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00017.jpg
302 KB, 1920x1080
Alas, Zoltan cruisers with Glaive beams and burst IIs are my true nemesis.

Slug cruisers continue to fail me.
>>
File: sadsd.png (732 KB, 1064x1180) Image search: [Google]
sadsd.png
732 KB, 1064x1180
I just reinstalled the game
tell me which ship should i play
>>
File: Ship Image6.jpg (337 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Ship Image6.jpg
337 KB, 1366x768
>>322180638
damn what sector were you in?
>>
>>322141402
>OP was using a Burst laser 2 and a halberd beam
>>
File: sadsd.png (733 KB, 1068x1168) Image search: [Google]
sadsd.png
733 KB, 1068x1168
>>322180924
what a failure of an image
>>
File: Ship Image 4.jpg (335 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Ship Image 4.jpg
335 KB, 1366x768
>>322181009
fed A or rock B
>>
>>322180924

Torus A on hard advanced.
>>
>>322180969
Not nearly far enough. Four, I think?
It was just a series of bad luck all the way through.

>>322181009
Fed A, man. Believe in the laser.
>>
>>322181101
>that ship
More like the Autisma. That hideous color sticks out so hard in the thumbnail, and it looks overpowered.
>>
>>322181101
You could probably balance that by dropping the two lasers and putting the cheapest ion weapon in the game in instead, you know the 1 power 30 scrap one.
>>
File: Ship Image77.jpg (334 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Ship Image77.jpg
334 KB, 1366x768
>>322181821
that's okay everyone has their own tastes.
>>
>>322141402

Cloak is a fucking meme

Supershields and defense drones make you truly invincible
>>
File: file.png (995 KB, 1281x707) Image search: [Google]
file.png
995 KB, 1281x707
oh man is it possible to go afk and have evasion and weapons maxed out?
>>
>>322141402
Multi-hit weapons are fucking broken OP, find them and use them. Seriously, Flak weapons are the best shit in the game.
>>
>>322181945
it's actually one of my more balanced ships. It doesn't have enough power to have the fire beam online with shields and engines and oxygen (you can't see power amount on the ship screen). Also you really have to buy all new weapons for it. There's nothing to build off of. Thanks for the advice though!
>>
>>322182206
Of course. All the best players do it.
>>
File: gccx favorite games.jpg (48 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
gccx favorite games.jpg
48 KB, 800x550
What mods do you use, /v/?

I know about Captain's Edition but the forced crew diversity mod among other things makes it unappealing. Anything you can't play without?
>>
>>322182206
you can but no one really does it. Even the guy that got the 39 winstreak on hard doesn't afk train.
>>
>>322182353
i didn't even know there were mods for this game
thanks man
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 67

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.