[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>FF8 is the worst FF! >Final Fantasy has to have a coherent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: squall dollet!.jpg (33 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
squall dollet!.jpg
33 KB, 640x448
>FF8 is the worst FF!
>Final Fantasy has to have a coherent plot!
>it's true because Spoony told me so!

Bitches leave.

What was your favourite amazing setpiece from FF8?
>>
It's so bad SE didn't even bother to port it to PC and skipped to 9.
>>
>>322108851
9 has a PC port?
>>
They made 2/3rds of a great game.
>>
File: ff8 quistis.jpg (32 KB, 736x551) Image search: [Google]
ff8 quistis.jpg
32 KB, 736x551
>>322108969
2/3rds of a great game is a hell of a lot better than what the corporate cunts are offering us nowadays.
>>
Laguna is the best
>>
>>322108910
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/ff9/en/
>>
>>322108851
Dude, FF 8 already has a PC port and an unofficial patch that literally does what the 7 steam version did.

Just go and kill yourself.
>>
File: slow.jpg (56 KB, 234x315) Image search: [Google]
slow.jpg
56 KB, 234x315
>>322108851
>IX

you mean that one that has a great plot, music, characters and world, but for some reason Square thought it would be a good idea to make the battles go at a snail pace?

FF9 is too damn slow, FF7 and FF8 are the peak of FF.
>>
>>322108575
Characters were unengaging, and the combat system was boring as shit, and I'm one of those nerds that enjoys turn based combat.
>>
>>322108575
None. Undertale is the best Final Fantasy.
>>
>>322110279
It's not just the slow battles, the combat system as a whole sucked ass, most of all the trance system.
>>
8 is fun, but kinda flawed and easily broken.

Now if you want my opinion on actual worst single digit FF, I'd say 2. But I'd give that more to them trying to experiment with a new system.

I've never touched XIII and honestly from what I've heard and seen it just doesn't look that good or interesting to me.

>>322110279
Somebody made a mod for the PS1 version that increases the ATB speed.

Doing that for the PC version of 9 should be a cakewalk.
>>
>>322108851
FF8 got a PC port years ago.
>>
>>322108575

Dollet is great. OST and monster designs are godtier.
>>
File: FF8_X-ATM092.png (474 KB, 993x798) Image search: [Google]
FF8_X-ATM092.png
474 KB, 993x798
Reminder that real men kicked the shit out of it by themselves
>>
The parts with either Laguna or Seifer in them
Either one would have been a far more compelling protag than Squall and Rinoa and their boring-ass forced romance.
>>
File: Ragnarok breaks in.jpg (15 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
Ragnarok breaks in.jpg
15 KB, 320x224
I like the airship in this game.
>>
>Disc 1 is fantastic
>Disc 2 is actually pretty okay as well
>shit gets a bit weird on disc 3 but it has it's moments
>Disc 4 is just the end dungeon, which is decent but being permanently locked out of some sidequests despite being able to travel the world map was pretty shit.

I liked it, although I got stuck during my first playthrough because I was basically summoning GF's for every battle constantly and when I got to Adel I couldn't do that or I'd kill Rinoa. And then when I finally did beat Adel and progress to the end of the game, it glitched out and froze during the ending FMV every time, so I had to wait several years to get the internet and download the FMV off of some fan site.
>>
File: 1447721181604.jpg (69 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1447721181604.jpg
69 KB, 500x334
>>322108575
>caring about an e-celeb opinion

the shittier their views the more clicks they get
>>
>>322110056
I just read the chapter bios cause it's been a while, I can't believe how young some of them are. Fuckog Eiko being 6 wigs me out
>>
>>322112080
The fuck, I thought she was 9? Have I been playing FFIX upside down?
>>
>>322112180
I thought she was older too anon
>>
File: FFVIII_Battle_of_the_Gardens.jpg (14 KB, 300x210) Image search: [Google]
FFVIII_Battle_of_the_Gardens.jpg
14 KB, 300x210
>>322108575
>>
>>322108575
Assassination attempt in disc 1 is the best sequence from the entire series.
>>
Disc 3 is narratively the most important disc but everyone dismisses it for reasons that aren't really clear to me.
>>
>>322112485
because le spoony told them it's stupid so it's stupid
>>
>>322111765
I didn't realize you could travel the world map in disk 4 until like my third or fourth playthrough.

I have no idea why I've played through Final Fantasy 8 three or four times, or more. I've lost count. But for some reason it's infinitely more replayable for me than the others.
>>
>>322108575
>the train mission
>the assassination mission
>the garden battle
>centra ruins
>underwater research facility
>Ultimecia's castle

And so much more. The whole game is full of these great moments. Unfortunately, it also had a lot of shit between those moments, like the prison, missile base, amnesia, and the whole space segment just to name a few.
>>
File: DelingCity-parade-.jpg (53 KB, 640x447) Image search: [Google]
DelingCity-parade-.jpg
53 KB, 640x447
>>322112368
I liked the mercenary feeling of the early game, was a bit disappointed when the plot became time loops and destiny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=torEytKxkeI
>>
>>322111296
>not running away from it so you can see quistis gun it down and masturbate to her FMV
>>
>>322111296
Wait, you can actually kill the fucking thing? I did harvest the fucker for mad AP, but all that did was beat him up temporarily and he'd be back after a while.
>>
Say whatever you want about Squall, jumping off a roof and stealing a car to go in close and kill an all powerful sorceress with your gun-sword after your sniper fucks up is pretty badass.
>>
>>322113541
This. Especially since he had no fucking idea whether it would even work or not, since it wasn't part of the plan. Then again, motherfucker jumps into outer space just to save a slut he barely knows, so maybe he's just got a serious deathwish.
>>
>>322113495
If you kill it won't chase you around the town anymore and you won't get the cinematic where Quistis shoots it down
Also it adds more points to your SeeD rating
>>
File: squall4.jpg (40 KB, 640x447) Image search: [Google]
squall4.jpg
40 KB, 640x447
>>322113021
>huge set up
>rinoa going crazy
>edea giving this insane speech
>seifer being seifer
>irvine missing the shot
>squall jumping into the car in the middle of the riot
>1 vs 1 with Seifer
>"i'm not a lapdog, I'm her knight"
>fighting edea
>ending with squall getting impaled by a massive icecube
I think a lot of the backlash on the game comes from the fact that it starts so strong like you said
>>
>>322108851
FF8 has been on PC for nearly 16 years dipshit.
>>
>>322108575
My best setpiece
>Squall dies at the end of Disc 1
>>
>1st Laguna flashback features Laguna finally getting to meet Julia properly
>it is followed by Squall being properly introduced to Rinoa

>2nd Laguna flashback is about Laguna moving into enemy territory and facing a crushing defeat that he barely survives
>it is followed by Squall entering Galbadia and being severely injured when he fails to defeat Edea

>3rd flashback is about Laguna discovering what he wants to protect
>it is followed by Squall wanting to save Balamb Garden from the missile strike

>4th flashback is about Laguna becoming a knight and overcoming a great challenge to move forward
>it is followed by Squall admitting to himself that he loves Rinoa and dropping the mask he's been using to shield himself from emotional trauma

>5th flashback is about Laguna not letting anyone take Ellone away from her
>it is followed by Squall diving into space and defying estharian authorities to take back Rinoa
>>
>>322108575
I maintain that FF8 has the best final dungeon in the series.
>>
>>322113021
FF8 has the best soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6BtJaBQmo
>>
>>322114343
probably the best final boss as well desu
>>
>>322114262
>Rinoa is Julia's daughter
>Squall is Laguna's son
>The entire story is literally just because Laguna didn't fuck Julia, Squall has to fuck Rinoa
>>
>>322113804
>more points
It gives you an entire bonus level
>>
>favorite amazing setpiece
Nevermind the setpieces, can we talk about how trash the Draw system was?
>>
>>322114262
>4th flashback is about Laguna pretending to be a knight and poking a dragon he thinks is fake
>it is followed by Squall acting like an idiot and setting the revival of Adel in motion
>>
>>322114660
>he didn't just turn his half decent triple triad cards into 100 tornados or 300 ultimas
>>
>>322114543
No shit, I really like VIII's final battle and ending sequence, they're sufficiently long and exhausting and it actually feels like the game's over.
>>
>>322114548
Seems like a plot a jap would come up with
>>
>>322110279
>IX
>Great plot

Yeah sure a great plot that forgets that half of the cast exists
>>
>>322114746
You're right I didn't, because after the opening sequence and first real boss battle I dropped the game.
>>
When do you all do the sidequests?

>Disc 2
Odin
Shumi Village
CC Quest

>Disc 3
Doomtrain
Tonberry King
Cactuar Island
Deep Sea Research Center
Ayyy Lmao

>Disc 4
Omega Weapon
Get the rest of the cards because fuck playing Edea for her card in Disc 3.
>>
>>322114697
You're focusing too much on the literal plot again, anon.
>>
>>322108575
>the worst FF
That's everything past X. Everything.
>>
>>322114660
>using the Draw system for anything except summons
>ever

Does it hurt to be that pleb?
>>
>>322114927
>no Queen of Cards
>no Chocobo Forests
>>
>>322108575
>Be me, 7 years ago
>Boot up FF8
>Sit through some cutscenes
>Get to a battle
>Some card shit goes on
>Get confused
>Turn it off, never play it again
>>
File: sob.jpg (15 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
sob.jpg
15 KB, 300x169
>>322110279
>Getting Trance right as another team member kills the last enemy.

Fucking hate it.
>>
>>322114976
Nigger, 12 is the best game in the series to date and I'll have no bullshit from you about it.
>>
File: FF8ScreenshotJulia2.jpg (61 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
FF8ScreenshotJulia2.jpg
61 KB, 600x450
>get to this point with Laguna
>hey what would happen if I used the Magic Lamp
>spam Desperado until Diablos remembers he has a regular, non-gravity attack and ends the fight

Time Paradox?
>>
>>322114262
>4th flashback is about Laguna becoming a knight and overcoming a great challenge to move forward

Also Seifer drew his aspiration to be a knight from the movie that Laguna filmed beating a dragon.

ITS LIKE POTTERY!
>>
>>322115049
>getting confused by a FF game

What's it like to be a literal retard?
>>
>>322114660
>He used the draw mechanic for other than getting GF

lel pleb
>>
>>322114917
Your loss.
>>
>>322115225
FF13 is so bad I'm confused about why it was created.
>>
>>322114543
This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVkcmx2l3WA
>>
>>322115276
To fulfill Nomura's waifu fantasies.
>>
>>322115159
Best part?
In game they say that the gunblade is a stupid impractical toy and makes no fucking sense.
Seifer actually made it a viable weapon to use in battle and taught Squall how to use it.

If you actually look at FF8 you'll realize that...it seems like squall was never supposed to be the hero of this game.
It was supposed to be seipher raijin fujin and a few others.
>>
>>322110279
>Battles slow as fucking molasses
>trance takes 10+ battles to build up
>want to save it for a boss battle, gets used accidentally on a goddamn random encounter

Not to mention they use this barely legible fantasy-esque font for all the text. I don't know why the fuck they did that when FF7 and 8 used standard fonts.

I liked the game but it really tried my patience. It may be the slowest game in the series, both in terms of battles and pacing. And then there's that stupid shit with the final boss, who is mentioned all of once prior, indirectly, by the story because they couldn't just make Kuja the final boss for reasons.
>>
>>322115159
Thematic rhyming is a legitimate narrative tool and is quite common in fiction, including in works you're comparing VIII against to maintain an arbitrary distinction between 'high' and 'low' art.
>>
>>322115589
>Seifer actually made it a viable weapon to use in battle and taught Squall how to use it.
Nah, Squall just started with it and was too stubborn to learn anything else.
>>
>>322115710
>barely legible fantasy-esque font
I will fight you.
>>
>>322115456
You mean Toriyama. Nomura's heading up an all-dude roadtrip.
>>
I'm almost done with ff8 now
Why is their plan to let ultemecia complete her plan? Why don't they just destroy dr odine's time compression machine?
>>
>>322115049
Sounds about right. I also played the game about 7 years ago.

>never liked JRPGs, but now appreciate them, want to get into FF
>many friends suggest FF8
>very excited to play. Boot it up to play while friend watches
>start with positive attitude, enjoy the intro, getting the hang of battle system
>friend quickly explains draw system
>I just draw a few spells and junction them and move on, not wanting to be obsessed with it
>keep playing after first boss fight
>plot really sucks
>main character is awful
>all characters are awful, actually
>keep playing, hoping it will get as awesome as my friends say
>drawing/junctioning is tedious. Game keeps un-assigning my setups at certain plot points
>characters can't even fucking use items unless they have the skill enabled by a junction
>me "this game kinda sucks"
>friend "just keep playing"
>keep going
>story just gets worse and worse
>characters are absolute scum
>I level up in the middle on an area. Enemies are bumped up to a higher strength bracket. Suddenly random encounters take as long as a boss battle.
>need to stop to draw/rejunction shit to I stand a chance
>beat disc one
>"this is awful."
>"just keep playing"
>play jail sequence
>game keeps shuffling my party and my junction set-ups. I'm annoyed that characters have no intrinsic value. Each character is only the sum of the spells/GFs that I've taken the time to junction to them. It makes me feel like I've got a party of blank slates.
>escape prison and quit playing. I just don't like this game
>friend "You didn't play enough of it."

To this day all of my friends disregard my hate for that game, assured that I didn't play enough of it, and that they also over-explained the junctioning system which caused me to become overwhelmed. Also, I don't think I ever understood the weapon upgrade system. I never had enough shit to upgrade a single weapon for the entire first disc.
>>
>>322114985
What
>>
>>322116024
He started with an improbable weapon that first originated in a childish romance/fairytale movie?
A movie that seifer idolized and patterened his life after?
Including wielding and learning to use that gunsword abomination that NO ONE ELSE ON THE PLANET UP TO THAT POINT has ever ACTUALLY used in a battle?

Yeah no. Either Seipher taught him how to use it or they simply gave that weapon to squall when they created it to replace seipher as the lead. .
>>
Dollet was really cool, but then the game just enters a fucking nosedive that lasts straight to the end
>>
>>322116554
>Why is their plan to let ultemecia complete her plan?
Because it's the only way they can move through time to get to her and kill her.
>>
>>322108575
i couldn't into the characterization when i first played it.
after going through the series again, i have to say that squall is an okay guy.
also there is a shitload of crap to do in this game, which i thought was neat.
>>
>>322116653
Not that guy but you only need draw to get a few GFs from boss fights that you can't get otherwise. You can entirely avoid using draw during battle except for that.
Draw points and refine item/card make drawing in battle completely redundant.

People act like draw is forced on you the whole game and you have to constantly use it to get better magic, but no, the game has systems in place to make junction much less tedious than that.
Still a flawed system, make no mistake. But nowhere as bad as it's made out to be.
>>
>>322115061
every god damn time.
i barely ever got to use trance.
>>
>>322116554
It would be thematically inappropriate to not face Ultimecia in a direct fight.
>>
Squall was dead after an ice spear pierced his chest and the rest of the story was a fever dream in his dying brain
>>
>>322117095
>Still a flawed system, make no mistake. But nowhere as bad as it's made out to be.
The problem is that it still is an extremely flawed system. Yes, they created a couple of systems to ease the pain, but it's all still part of a larger problem that only exists because someone thought it would be clever and it just wasn't.

I do applaud them for trying something different. It would have been easy as hell to just make FF 7.5 and rest on their laurels, but they had the balls to shake things up in the wake of one of the most acclaimed games of all time. It was dumb and terrible, but whatever.
>>
>>322116887
>Including wielding and learning to use that gunsword abomination that NO ONE ELSE ON THE PLANET UP TO THAT POINT has ever ACTUALLY used in a battle?
Gunblades WERE a prominent weapon, but they're just stupidly hard to use. Because they're crazy fucking powerful, everyone trains to use them, but no one actually does. That's why Laguna says he trained with one but has no way of using it to its full potential.

Seifer sees the movie of Laguna fighting with it and decides to use it. Meanwhile, Squall is almost explicitly stated to have simply been too stubborn to learn anything else, as he thought it was the best weapon.

They both learned how to use the gunblade at the exact same time, so it makes no sense for Seifer to have taught him. It's just that Squall took the original model and trained and trained until it worked, while Seifer took an easier model and molded it to his fighting style.
>>
>>322117513
Cloud was dead after he fell in to the lifestream and the rest of the story was a fever dream in his dying brain.
>>
didn't get it for pc because i was afraid i wouldnt run it
>>
>>322117513
>>322117769
Tidus was dead before the start of the game and the rest of the story was a fever dream of Sin.
>>
>>322117925
>>322117769
>>322117513
You are dead and the rest of this life is a fever dream of your dying brain
>>
File: image.png (220 KB, 500x468) Image search: [Google]
image.png
220 KB, 500x468
>>322117769
That doesn't work as well because why would he dream about Cid being the fucking man and getting a bunch of huge materia
Whereas after icicle Squall becomes the biggest Gary Stu and everyone luvs him
>>
>>322118085
Thank god
>>
>>322118087
>relationship with rinoa still rocky as hell
>white seed takes ellone from him
>rinoa goes into a fucking coma
>the whole business with esthar and adel
if it was a dream, it wasn't a good one
>>
>>322118363
It's difficult to come up with good fantasies when your brain is shutting down.
>>
>>322118363
>he saves rinoa in space even though she died in her space suit
>she wants to fuck
>he gets to be the hero
>everyone's encouraging him to just talk and nobody hates him for being a faggot
Dunno man
>>
File: Cloud on wheels.png (245 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
Cloud on wheels.png
245 KB, 500x350
>>322118087
He wanted to take a rest and let the others do all the work for a bit.
>>
File: Rinoa_Heartilly.png (170 KB, 300x434) Image search: [Google]
Rinoa_Heartilly.png
170 KB, 300x434
>>322118657
>everyone's encouraging him to just talk and nobody hates him for being a faggot
They wanted their leader to stop being such a mopey bitch. They figured a good lay would do that for him.
Quistis tried putting the moves on him, he didn't respond to them, the only chick he seems to have any eyes for is Rinoa. So they tell him to just fuck her already.

I'll never understand what he saw in this plainfaced used goods bitch anyway.
Not just used goods. Used by your rival. It's like preemptive NTR. It's like getting sloppy seconds from Gary Oak.
>>
>>322115710
>And then there's that stupid shit with the final boss, who is mentioned all of once prior, indirectly, by the story because they couldn't just make Kuja the final boss for reasons.

Have you played any of the earlier games in the series? Almost all of them do that.
>>
>>322116621
While I harbor no love for the game how is it possible to not become OP by the end of disc one? Tents give you curagas and functioning that to health will make by immortal for at least until disc 3
>>
>>322119312
>FF1
Was a more powerful version of the first boss, did kind of fuck off for most of the game but at least you knew who he was
>Didn't play FF2
>FF3
Okay, you got me. Cloud of Darkness kinda just pops up out of nowhere.
>Didn't play FF4
>FF5
Exdeath is a pretty prominent villain for much of the game. He kills Galuf at about the halfway mark, even.
>FF6
Kefka is a large element of the story for the entire game.
>FF7
Ditto with Sephiroth.
>FF8
Ultimecia works from the shadows and you don't actually directly confront her until the very end, but she's a constant, if somewhat ephemeral presence.
>FF9
Necron just sort of pops up out of what seems like nowhere. He's sort of mentioned in passing as an existence in the Iifa tree.
>>
>>322119004
>Could come up with any fantasy world before he dies
>Decides to be in a wheelchair
>>
>>322117513
This is you being cynical, you didn't actually prove, and cannot prove, that post-disc 1 VIII is fiction-within-fiction. You simply choose to interpret it that way because you don't believe in good endings and didn't like the direction the story took. Fictional characters have lived through worse injuries but you jumped to conclusions due to not liking VIII's writing.
>>
>>322120158
To be fair there is reason to believe that FF8's script had parts cut from it to meet a release date. I remember reading that you could have picked Quistis instead of Rinoa in the original script, and that she had a lot more lines, but in the final draft of the script they made her a much less important character.
>>
>>322119865
I stated this before and I'll state it again: the crystal is just as big of an asspull because beyond the cover the game does not hint towards it. Necron is LESS sudden because the whole game the characters have been struggling with death and important things being lost or forgotten. Necron is basically a big motherfucker who comes in and demands Zidane and pals prove their character growth was genuine by telling him to fuck off.
>>
>>322117513
Naw, that theory is retarded. Edea clearly healed his wound because she needed him alive for interrogation.
>>
>>322120369
So what? There's no point in discussing a hypothetical VIII that we didn't get, the only VIII that exists is the one that was released. If your approach is "what was this going to be?" instead of "what is this?" you're gonna hit a dead end and not get much out of the story. No work ever ends up like originally planned, VIII isn't a special case where it's okay to point out those differences as flaws.
>>
>>322120049
His fantasy is to be looked after by Tifa until he's ready to come back and save the world.
>>
>>322115225
That's funny, because 95% of the people who play FFVIII don't understand the story and make themselves look like idiots when they shit on it, citing the things they couldn't comprehend but assume they did.
>>
File: squall.jpg (126 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
squall.jpg
126 KB, 450x300
>>322114002
Disk 1 of FF8 is like the best early section of any FF game ever. It really does kick off incredibly strong and then kinda gets lost in its own bullshit.
>>
>>322119740
I didn't know any of that shit. You can talk about how the game has all these tricks and whatnot to allow you to become OP, but who would know this shit just sitting down to play the game for the first time without any kind of guide?

But that is another problem in itself. The game has a learning curve. Unfortuantely, it isn't a curve. It's a steep cliff. The second you learn the trick, you are a few arbitrary tasks away from attaining invincibility. There's no satisfaction in that. At least not for me. I'm sure all the unskilled weebs love the fuck out of it, since it's such an instant gratification power fantasy. Along with the main character having girls crawling all over him, it begins to make sense why so many friendless betas loved this game when they were in middle school.
>>
>>322121293
You mean FF7 right
Because blowing a mako reactor up is way better than... Getting a summon and then climbing up a radio tower like 3 hours into the game? Fuck that shit
>>
>>322121363
>I didn't know any of that shit. You can talk about how the game has all these tricks and whatnot to allow you to become OP, but who would know this shit just sitting down to play the game for the first time without any kind of guide?

Because they teach you about refining and if you read your gfs skills you'd notice a life refining skill and then try it out. It isn't that ambiguous.
>>
>>322121451
No. Blowing up a reactor is a single thing while entire first disk of FF8 is basically the best shit game has to offer. Although I guess it depends on much you like the whole "mercenaries doing their shit" thing as opposed to, well, game being a FF title.
>>
>>322108575
The combat system is fucked in this game. You can't use any spells you want because they have to be junctioned to improve your stats, which means no top-tier spells unless you want to be seriously gimped.
>>
>>322121451
You're conflating content with presentation. A terrorist group planting explosives in a power plant can be done in an astronomical number of ways and only some will be impressive and exciting.
>>
>>322121692
And FF8 has 0 presentation and its content is crap
So ok
>>
>>322110056
>FF1 and FF2 still not on Steam for some reason
Come on SE, you KNOW you want me to re-buy the entire series on PC.
>>
>>322114468
I really like ff8 music, its probably my favorite OST of all games. Really, really well done.

I really like Overture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUa2kL8kOk4
>>
>>322114927
>disc 2
Shumi village
>disc 3
everything else except deep sea research
>disc 4
Deep sea

Its a pain in the ass go for Odin disc 2
>>
>>322121787
>And FF8 has 0 presentation
Really?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q09quI356sQ
>>
>>322108575
Battle of the Gardens, but FFVIII was still shit.
>>
Squall: Whatever.
>>
>>322122081
>...
>>
File: FFVIII_GF_Menu_3.png (139 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
FFVIII_GF_Menu_3.png
139 KB, 640x480
pic related is my favorite part of FF8, where the game's rules unravel like tapestry in your hands. Enc-None and stat junctions hnng
>>
Bitch, I knew FF8 was shit when I was 14 years old before your generation of youtube meme basement dwellers.
>>
>>322122168
Junction system was both the best and worst of the game. Your levels didn't even matter because it was all on your junctions, the amount you could abuse it though was crazy.
>>
>>322122051
Yes really, all you have to do is compare it to, again, ff7
>>
>>322116554
>Why don't they just destroy dr odine's time compression machine?
Wait, no, thats not how it works.
Its dr odine eleone machine, not time compression machine

Time compression its artemisa's magic.
>>
>>322122168
How can you like it, it's just a different form of grinding
The worst part is you don't even do 9999 damage per normal attack with squall at max strength
>>
>>322121787
Do you know what presentation is?
>>
FF8>FF7>FF9

FF9 is one of the worst FF in the entire series because of how fucking childish it is, the whole atmosphere/plot is terrible. The characters have no value whatsoever.
>>
>>322122340
No straight up, it's said in the game that Ultemecia is accomplishing time compression through Odine's machine which is super advanced in the future but requires elone's magic to be even more powerful
Its g a r b a g e
>>
>>322122317
If it has 0 presentation you shouldn't have to compare it to anything.
>>
>>322122576
What
Comparing it to its direct predecessor is just showing how shit it is
>>
>>322122560
Preventing time compression does not stop Ultimecia from possessing people in Squall's time, there's no clear victory in merely destroying Odine's toys.
>>
>>322122560
Wouldn't destroying the machine cause a time paradox since Ultemecia has already influenced previous events in the game using the existing machine in the future.
>>
>>322122901
Considering that she wants to create a paradox, no, I don't think it would matter
I seriously hate this fucking game's plot
>>
>>322122576
If a game had zero presentation you'd be stuck with a black screen. Your argument is that you do not like VIII's presentation. That is not the same as there being none. This isn't a debate over amount, but the manner/quality of something. The amount of presentation is static, it's always 100% because the presentation is literally the game.
>>
File: FF8cas.jpg (968 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
FF8cas.jpg
968 KB, 1920x1080
THEY ALL WENT TO THE SAME ORPHANAGE!?!?!?!?!?!?
>>
File: image.png (34 KB, 280x255) Image search: [Google]
image.png
34 KB, 280x255
>>322108575
>an RPG
>A genre that lives or dies on immersion
>not needing a coherent or at least functional plot

That being said some of the flak it gets is undeserved. Draw system is pretty fun to fuck around with once you get used to it and the gameplay functions well enough.

Plot is still a pile of hot shit though.
>>
>>322123369
This is why I haven't got a GF, I don't want to lose my memories.
>>
>>322114343

As a person, who to this day considers VIII the worst Final Fantasy game I've played and hate it with an irrational passion since the second day it was out: You are absolutely correct.
>>
>>322123554
>draw system is fun
What the fuck
>>
>>322123369
Why is Selphie so
P E R F E C T ?
E
R
F
E
C
T
?
>>
>>322123369
Except Rinoa

Who just happened to be porked by Seifer and Squall
>>
>>322123901
Do you eat shit
>>
File: 123441535311223.gif (2 MB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
123441535311223.gif
2 MB, 400x267
>>322123369
>first meeting Irvine and he picks the party
>mfw I just let him take the girls
>>
>>322124006
Fuck off, she's the best.
>>
>>322123017
People always make the same mistake with time travel fiction, they focus on how it works. That's not important at all, nobody in VIII ever explains or focuses on things like how garden-shapeshifting technology works or where Ellone got her powers from. It's irrelevant because VIII is fiction, and there is no scientific consistency that is necessary for the story to function. Despite being a simulation, the game is not a simulation of an entire universe where everything has been modeled accurately, it is still very much an abstraction that operates much like films do and can be understood in a very similiar manner, with gameplay simply being a narrative tool that doesn't exist in other audiovisual mediums.
>>
File: askjndasd.png (26 KB, 246x329) Image search: [Google]
askjndasd.png
26 KB, 246x329
>>322108851
>>
>>322123017
Time compression =/= a time paradox

Time compression would result in all points in a timeline being gathered and mixed up, but they don't contradict each other and it's still a logical process.

A time paradox is a logical impossibility, some of the events that lead up to Squall and co. finding out about Ultemecia and deciding what to do were caused/influenced by Ultemecia travelling backwards in time with the machine. In order for her to have the machine in the future they cannot destroy it in the present, and in order for their past to exist and for them to be where they are she must have the machine in the future to create their past. So they can't destroy the machine because if they do they can't destroy the machine.
>>
>>322124246
>>322124172
You know what the real paradox is
What the fuck would time compression accomplish, if not changing the entire timeline from past to future
>>
>a franchise where the only thing that matters is story, and the gameplay has always been intolerable shit that you struggle against as you try to get more story.
>>Final Fantasy has to have a coherent plot!
>>
>>322124697
The time compression is specifically compressing time into a singular point which means that there will be no timelines or things like past or future. There cannot be paradoxes because the conditions to create them have ceased to exist.
>>
>>322108575
final fantasy has been shit since 4
dead series kept alive by flashy graphics and brain dead fans
>>
>>322125003
Okay
For what purpose
>>
>>322125115
Ultimecia wanted to avoid her eventual fate of being defeated by SeeD and she thought time compression would prevent it. If time can't pass normally then she won't meet her fate.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 1152x864
>>322125183
I can't do this anymore
>>
Ultimecia did nothing wrong.
>>
File: Ultimecia1222.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Ultimecia1222.png
1 MB, 1600x900
>>322125440
She didn't sit on my dick
>>
Was Adel REALLY a woman?
>>
File: 1451502342293.jpg (587 KB, 1534x1534) Image search: [Google]
1451502342293.jpg
587 KB, 1534x1534
This along with 3 are the only Final Fantasies I never had the motivation to finish.

How hard does 8 become if I bother leveling up instead of using the no encounter ability?
>>
>>322125818
I don't think you can be a sorceress (male)
>>
>>322125440
True, she ws desitned to try to avoid her own destiny due to being in a time loop which started/ended when she passed on her powers to Edea when she died perpetuating her predestined defeat which is only possible as a result of her compressing time to try and prevent her death, ensuring her death. She couldn't have done anything else.
>>
>>322125975
FF8 is probably one of the only FF's you don't even need to level up. The Junction system pretty much makes levelling pointless.
>>
>>322125818
Sorceresses that don't have knights to love them become wicked and evil.
>>
>>322125975
It becomes hard if you level up at any point that isn't the endgame, after the lunar cry none of that shit matters
>>
>>322126110
Leveling up in FF8 is actually counter-productive, because the monsters' stats get better faster than the player's. Unless you're min/maxxing, the best strategy is to run from every battle except for boss battles, which happen to award no xp.
>>
>>322110613
I barely remember anything from 2, cockatrices, a snow mobile and some temporary party member dying.
>>
>>322126302
I remember stat growth in the game being abysmally slow.
>>
>>322126289
>grind your party to level 100
>Acquire Tonberry
>Use LvDown on every enemy
Even if you level up, it doesn't do anything.
>>
>>322108575
what about all the other problems with the game namely the boring ass fighting system, and the ugly ass low poly models.
>>
>>322121363
>I didn't know any of that shit. You can talk about how the game has all these tricks and whatnot to allow you to become OP, but who would know this shit just sitting down to play the game for the first time without any kind of guide?

You sound like the average tcg player. If retarded little 8 year old me could get to ultimecia, what is your excuse?
>>
>>322126490
you don't get tonberry til disc 3 though famalamadingdong
>>
>>322112180
She was always that young, her last relative died quite a while ago as well. It's a miracle she wasn't even more screwed up growing up alone in a ruin thousands of miles away from any real civilization, with only moogles and barely intelligible dwarves around her.
>>
>>322120636

That is the first time I've ever heard that. I'm perfectly okay with that.
>>
>>322108575
The long walk on the bridge. Something quite lonely about being on a long road by yourself. Something quite lonely about being on the ocean by yourself. Combine the two and it's a hell of a time. Or when Laguna finally gets to visit Raine's grave and you see back to the night he proposed to her. Julia may have been his first crush, but Raine will always be his first love.
>>
>>322126659
You can get Tonberry as soon as the garden is mobile, in disc 2.
>>
>>322126659

From memory you can get him and odin disk 2.
>>
File: FF8_Ultimecia_Final_Bottom.png (91 KB, 239x596) Image search: [Google]
FF8_Ultimecia_Final_Bottom.png
91 KB, 239x596
>>322126040
>Thought she could control time
>Actually everything she did was already determined
>Had died before she existed

She was the real victim. Tried to fuck with time but it fucked her instead.
>>
>>322126851
I have mixed feelings towards FF8, in threads like this I realize how much more there is to FF8 than what most people remember, including I. I read up on shit and want to play it, but when I start playing I notice all the new shit in the game, but it's never as awesome in game than when you read about it.
>>
How about this. FF7 was awesome, loved 8, 9 is amazing. FF10 is my fave but after that I lost interest starting with 12. Why does this board have to hate 1 game to like another...?
>>
>>322127339
>Why does this board have to hate 1 game to like another...?
Because there would be no threads otherwise. It's always been my opinion > yours.
>>
>>322114746

>He didn't save the 1 of a kind cards and instead just farm up copies of repeatable cards.

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
Why did diablos cast cure on you if you blind him?
ff needs more gravity/dark based summons that are actually useful outside of niche cases
>>
>>322127223
When you think about it, everything anyone does is already determined.
>>
>>322127339
I like 7-12 and one day when I quit being a lazy fuck I'll play 4-6 and probably 1 as well. No Final Fantasy I've played has been bad enough to hate or be bored by.
>>
>>322127562
>what are quantum mechanics
>>
>>322127639

meaningless if unlimited parallel universes exist
>>
>>322127626
Every FF fan needs to play 4-6 at least once. They are all very good games.
>>
>>322108575
This game was so close to being the best FF game. All it would have taken is for the levelling system to not be too complex to understand playing as a kid and too easy to exploit as an adult. If it had that and a moment equivalent to Aeris dying I think it would be remembered as even better than FF7. 8's story might or might not be better than 7's, but it's definitely not worse.
>>
>>322127101
my bad
I must of been thinking about tonberry king
>>
>>322127639
Only relevant to particles, not people.
>>
File: 1451556553066.jpg (45 KB, 497x429) Image search: [Google]
1451556553066.jpg
45 KB, 497x429
>there are people who don't own the bradygames guide
>>
>>322127861
People are made of particles, nerd
>>
>>322127925
>there are people who fap to futa
>>
>>322127861
>implying everything isn't made of particles
>implying we can explain our brain using classical and deterministic physics
>>
>>322110056
I thought they had lost the source code of the game
>>
File: r-3qz66uue~2~2.jpg (92 KB, 592x270) Image search: [Google]
r-3qz66uue~2~2.jpg
92 KB, 592x270
>>322108575
When is FF going back to their roots and make an RPG with a deep storyline that's not a cheap love story, or women empowerment.

Just a rag tag team of odd bunch of people, going up against the odds, with unorthodox set of skills.

Like FF 6
>>
>>322127925
Never read the FF8 one, I only had the very unfortunate experience of reading the ff9 guide instead, in pdf form!
>>
>>322127831
Tonberry King IS the summon, he shrinks to normal size after being defeated and joins you as an apology.
>>
>>322128048
>>322128127
Even so, our decisions are determined at some point, even if it's not since the beginning of time, and we can't change them.
>>
>>322127827
>leveling system
>too complex
It's literally just 1000 exp to the next level every time. What's so hard about that?

Unless you're talking about the Junction system, which is given in-game tutorials, is explained in the help menu, and comes up in game several times during unavoidable events where characters say things like "Don't forget to junction your GF!"
>>
>>322128506
>sources: my ass
Don't tell me you're a philosophy major.
>>
>>322128249
You poor bastard.
>>
Ok so I want to play FF8 after finishing 7 (I never finished 7)

Is the game like The Last Remnant in which avoiding all battles is the best action and grinding only makes things harder?
What about the junction system? I heard it's poorly done and a bore plus it can break the game and make you become powerful enough to faceroll the entire game
>>
>>322110613

That's cause it was made by the guy that does those SaGa grindfest games and he just made a SaGa game pretty much. For whatever reason the NES had a lot of sequels to hit games that were a massive departure in terms of design and systems from their predecessor.
>>
File: 1437339577678.gif (997 KB, 500x266) Image search: [Google]
1437339577678.gif
997 KB, 500x266
>>322128237
Fuck no old fag.
FF need more men that look like soft lesbians.
With a boring plot about a corrupt government, who can be defeated easily by a team of male models, and the token chick who talks about feelings.
>>
>>322128919

Don't grind, don't really avoid battles, you can get diablos really early, who learns the enc-half and enc-none abilities. Refine shit and junction it, that's all really.
>>
>>322128919
>>322129079
This imo. Leveling makes things harder but will never really make things difficult.

The junction system is also easy to break, but you have to go out of your way to do it. That's part of the fun.
>>
I always found the people that absolutely hated it the most just didn't want to or couldn't figure out how to use the junction system which honestly wasn't even all that complicated. I actually loved the story and characters, really just didn't see a problem with it some pacing matters on the third disc aside. Beats how some Square games are nowadays where the first 30 hours are so are a prolonged tutorial where you're locked into a strict development path like FFXIII
>>
File: Anima.jpg (199 KB, 800x1479) Image search: [Google]
Anima.jpg
199 KB, 800x1479
>>322127223
Why does she look like Anima?
>>
>played normally, was pretty good, albeit it was too easy (though this is FF, after all)
>years later read about all the broken shit you could do
I'm kind of glad I didn't have internet back then.
>>
File: Dissidia_Ultimecia.png (737 KB, 736x1076) Image search: [Google]
Dissidia_Ultimecia.png
737 KB, 736x1076
>>322125735
>she'll never give you a hairy handy
>>
>>322129309
You mean "why does Anima look like Ultamecia"
>>
>>322129309
Reverse what you just asked.
>>
>>322128237
>Just a rag tag team of odd bunch of people, going up against the odds, with unorthodox set of skills.

Sounds like any numerical FF to date. Did you grow up, by any chance?
>>
File: Anima.jpg (198 KB, 800x1479) Image search: [Google]
Anima.jpg
198 KB, 800x1479
>>322129391
>>322129404
Sorry, why does Anima look like Ultimecia?
>>
File: ultimecia.jpg (47 KB, 772x622) Image search: [Google]
ultimecia.jpg
47 KB, 772x622
>>322129309

But ultimecia bares the beast on the top. Also looks like a kingdom hearts enemy
>>
>>322119865
FFIV had Zemus/Zeromus, who was basically behind the scenes of most things in the game
>>
>>322113541
That scene bugs me. Irvine shoots her from behind, but the cutscene shows her shielding from the front
>>
>>322127328
I for the longest time couldn't figure out why the hell the D-District prison was so weird, but it finally clicked when I connected it with Squall's character. The prison burrows in an emergency, just like Squall withdrew behind his cold exterior after experiencing emotional trauma. This also means that the torture scene is really Squall tormenting himself, that his negative attitude is only hurting him instead of protecting him. The key to the sequence is that Squall needed his friends to break him out. Later in FH Squall is for the first time glad his friends are okay, when he sees the missile base team made it back alive. This was only possible because of what happened during the prison break. Also relevant is that Rinoa doesn't abandon Squall even though she could have walked away, opposite of what happened when Ellone left and never came back.

Generally I think all of VIII should be understood in relation to Squall specifically.
>>
>>322129589
Same character, She Time Compressed her way into Spira
>>
>>322129340
> she'll never give you a footjob
>>
>>322129589
Same art and character designers. They must have liked the design and wanted to either reuse it or improve it.
>>
>>322129626
>>322129589
Ultimecia is more prog rock and Anima is more doom metal.
>>
>>322129776
Of course not. Why would she want to make you kum?
>>
>>322128237
>6
>not a cheap love story
>or women empowerment
u wat m8
>>
File: Fayth anima.jpg (273 KB, 620x562) Image search: [Google]
Fayth anima.jpg
273 KB, 620x562
>>322129727
Well Anima was a woman after all.
>>
>>322129718
It sounds to me like you are overthinking the part about the burrowing prison, but I'll remember it and pay more attention the next time I play the game.
>>
>>322129626
You mean that Kingdom Hearts enemies look like Ultimecia
>>
>>322108575
I loved the giant haunted house look and feel of the final level in the game.

Also, escaping the underground prison at the beginning of disc 2, and watching it sink into the ground was cool.
>>
>>322131424
Dat music too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqtGBR80NWw
>>
File: 1439375886599.jpg (36 KB, 269x200) Image search: [Google]
1439375886599.jpg
36 KB, 269x200
Why wasn't Quistis the obligatory love interest anyway?

Everything Rinoa was shit. Seemed way too quirky for Squall, or like he should have treated her the same way he treated Selphie.

Literally felt even more out of left field than the orphanage.
>>
>>322132182
He would've porked Selphie but he was afraid, that's why he went for the legal one.
>>
>>322132489
Squall is legal in Japanese Years
>>
>>322132108
Yes. Great music on the final level. It has a very classic, snes final fantasy feel to it.
>>
>>322132489
Squall is only 17 bruv.
>>
>Oh a FF8 thread
>Reminds me, game had good music I'll look up my favorite track!
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Nhz0sXI1Q
>3:54

What the fuck, man.
I don't remember ever hearing that before.
Uematsu why
>>
>>322132780
That's like 5 in normal years.
>>
>>322133179
>he doesn't like traditional Japanese singing
Good. Only Siren games managed to pull it well.
>>
>>322130727
I am basing it on three simple reasons:
1. The prison sequence could've not existed, but does.
2. The prison sequence could've been different, but isn't.
3. The game is about Squall, therefore sequences that involve him are also about him.
>>
File: 1451058714442.jpg (127 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1451058714442.jpg
127 KB, 768x1024
>>322108575
Why did you post a picture of Bayonetta?
>>
FF8 is still a flawed as fuck game

>Gameplay: like a... 5
>Story: 2
>OST: 10
>Atmosphere and Setting: 9
>Characters: 3
>Graphics: (for the time) 10

It does some things amazing and other things not so much, too bad most of its strengths are not tied to story or gameplay.
>>
File: 1430922218684.jpg (68 KB, 317x470) Image search: [Google]
1430922218684.jpg
68 KB, 317x470
>>322128510
Not that guy, but here's a tale of woe for you.

>play VIII at like 13 years old
>beginning of game is "spend an hour reading all this info about game mechanics in Squall's school computer!"
>read more than half of it, get bored
>"whatever, surely it can't be that different from 6 and 7"
>miss that new GFs are obtained via Draw
>get to Rinoa/Adel with only Quetzacoatl, Ifrit, Shiva, and Cerberus
>unable to progress
>>
>>322108575

I liked

>The Dollet mission and returning later to survey the damage
>The assassination attempt
>Selphie sneaking in to the missile base
>Garden lifting off
>Returning to Marshal Law Balamb
>Playing with Edea in my party
>Discovering Esther
>Going to space and the survival bit with Rinoa
>Eyes on Me in the cock pit was just too nice
>Squall rescuing Rinoa
>Going to the fucked up world and having to rebuild your characters piece by piece by killing bosses
>Omega Weapon
>Maybe I'm a Lion
>The Extreme

Honestly the game is great
>>
Reminder that if you're an adult, you can appreciate the game more since you likely have a bit of maturity inside you.
>>
>>322135917
How the hell. I've never drawn and only got problems at few bosses most of which you can GF spam anyway.
>>
>>322136261
>Adel
>GF spam
I know you hate Rinoa, but if she dies you lose anon.
>>
>>322136343
I said most.
>>
File: Doomtrain-ffviii.png (254 KB, 482x452) Image search: [Google]
Doomtrain-ffviii.png
254 KB, 482x452
CHOO CHOO OUTTA THE WAY FUCKING MONSTER SHITS
>>
>>322136580
>implying anyone ever got him legit without looking it up
>>
>>322136343
This guy's got it. I got through the game spamming GFs, but you can't during the RinoAdel fight and only having four junctions made my stats too garbage to win legitimately.
>>
>>322136950
>not mastering the needlessly obscure clues in Occultist Magazine
Why even play videogames if you're such a pleb, brah
>>
>>322108575
I liked the bit with the giant spider robot in the opening act.
>>
daily reminder that squall is dead and that none of this ever happened
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.