[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So which is the superior game: Hong Kong or Dragonfall?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (333 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
333 KB, 1920x1080
So which is the superior game: Hong Kong or Dragonfall?
>>
Dragonfall

The Kreusbasar was way more unique, the main story felt more grouded and the funding goal gave you a clear objective with all the missions that you took

Didn't really like the changes to the Matrix in HK

And hearing character backstories after a mission didn't take 45 minutes like in Hong Kong
>>
>>322092125
Loved DF, looking forward to trying HK.
>>
Genesis
>>
Both are about the same, I'd say, with Dragonfall a little bit better.

The biggest problem in Hong Kong is having to spend an hour in between runs in Heoi talking to the entire fucking town for character backstory.

Hong Kong has great system changes though. The Matrix is 100x better than it was in DF.
>>
The hacking minigame in HK was so overly complicated, it just felt like a nightmare. I really wish more games could get hacking minigames right (I really liked DX:HR's though)

Final boss was neat though
>>
dragonfall but to be fair it was rough at the start. if you only played the dc then yeah its awesome, but it wasn't anywhere near that when it first came out. hopefully hong kong gets a similar treatment.

hong kong is definitely more long winded in the text department (but that what backers paid for and wanted) and the main hub feels kinda lifeless even though its huge. the kreuzbasar in dragonfall was pretty much its own character it was just the right size and had a lot going on especially once you get into the game and realize what monica did for it and how you followed in her footsteps. there's still no mage crewmember (other than mercs with no character at all) and ones you meat in hk is pretty the same as it was dragonfall; a shaman, a gunner, a melee, and a decker.

the hacking mini game in hk is pretty dumb, its just the old simon says game if you're old enough to remember that.
>>
The overarching story was better in Dragonfall, But the NPC stories were better in Hong Kong.

Dragonfall had more combat, but combat isn't a strong point in either game, and the option to complete some quests nonviolently in Hong Kong was pretty cool.

I'd give the edge to Dragonfall, but they're both worth playing.
>>
Hong Kong.
No contest.
>>
Racter alone puts HK above for me
>>
>>322095201
Racter and Gaichu are awesome. Is0bel is fucking retarded. Everyone else is alright.
>>
Which was the better Shadowrun game: SNES or Genesis?
>>
>>322095258
Gobbet is a QT, I'd eat shitty ramen with her any day
>>
File: 1450275460965.jpg (24 KB, 401x372) Image search: [Google]
1450275460965.jpg
24 KB, 401x372
Alright guys so I've recently completed Dragonfall and want to start up Hong Kong

In Dragonfall I went with Adept and basically leveled strength until I one/shot-shot everything

Being the only available adept in a party, I kinda liked choosing the right allies to join on a mission.
Which classes are the allied NPCs in this game?
Which class should I consider to "fill the gap"?
>>
Dragonfall.
Without a doubt.
>>
>>322092125

Hong Kong has the best writing for the companions I've ever seen.
>>
>>322095289
SNES if you want a more story focused one. If you want one a bit more inline with the PnP and more freedom in where to go then the Genesis version.

I like the Genesis version much more than the SNES one.
>>
>>322095386
Gobbet - Shaman
Is0bel - Decker
Gun Show - Rifle man.
Racter - Rigger
Gaichu - Literal Samurai

Don't "fill the gap", cause there aren't any gaps. Just take Is0bel with you if you don't deck, take Gobbet with you if you don't have any magic (or you like to cast haste on everyone) and everyone else is situational but favoring Racter since he has a drone.

Playing a cyberweapons focused character last game, I really had to find reasons to bring Gaichu and Gun Show along with me since Is0bel, Gobbet, and Racter covered all of the things I couldn't do. Like, I would choose to not bring Racter one missions in favor of Gaichu to try him out and, while he is awesome, I would almost always run into a situation where I could have used a Rigger in dialogue or on the map or there was some astral shit I couldn't read because I didn't bring Gobbet.
>>
>>322095386
>Which classes are the allied NPCs in this game?
the same as dragon fall

>Which class should I consider to "fill the gap"?
mage if you want. or you could just do cyberware melee, but there's really no 'gap' per se.
>>
>>322095386
Just be a decker so you don't have to use Is0bel, she's annoying as hell
>>
>>322095771
Is0bel is a little bit better than Blitz, at least. Fuck Blitz.

What's with HBS and making their Deckers unlikable cunts?
>>
File: glory.png (2 MB, 1250x1611) Image search: [Google]
glory.png
2 MB, 1250x1611
>>322092125
HK has a better mechanics in it, it's story was a better introduction to the SR world than Shadowrun Returns but Dragonfall has an overall better story
>>
>>322095931
>She has spurs
>You can't get spurs
TRIGGERED
>>
>>322095867
>hating Blitz
Take it easy, he's just a hilarious goofball.
>>
>>322096046
In HK you can. Claws and whips are better
>>
>>322096226
Fuck Blitz. Literally fucked everything up.

>>322096240
I preferred Spurs over the Claws. More damage and AP moves. And the whip requires Ranged Combat, so it's not better unless you invest in Ranged instead of Melee.
>>
>>322095608
>>322095697
>>322095771
Great, thanks

I was thinking of going ranged this time

Either rifles (preferably the sniper ones) or specifically damage spells

Which would you say is more fun in HK?
>>
>>322096423
Probably damage spells. Sniper rifles suffer at close range, and I remember there being a lot of close range engagements in HK.
>>
>>322092125
Dragonfall for me.
>>
>>322096331
whip is ridiculous if you do spec in range tho.
>>
>>322097008
It look pretty insane. I'll have to give it a try in another playthrough or campaign.
>>
>>322096535
I was thinking more of a Eigar type build with. I liked taking out targets from afar and also having her shotgun as backup with her.

Are there many spells to choose from in the beginning?

I remember most only unlocking later on in the game in Dragonfall
>>
>>322097246
Moreso than in Dragonfall, but it still takes time to get all of the items.

You do unlock pretty much everything much faster than in DF, though, so if you want to use a wide variety of spells, you'll have a very nice selection even from the beginning.

Just make sure you raise your accuracy increasing stat. All of the companions in HK have ass hit percentages (at least in Hard Mode). I was hitting for like, 92% on every hit, and everyone else could barely break 80% if I buffed them.
>>
File: 1449486036435.gif (2 MB, 275x154) Image search: [Google]
1449486036435.gif
2 MB, 275x154
>>322097430
Cool, will look into that, will probably be an elf or something

I had to give myself all the hit buffs I could on Hard too. Dietrich had his job cut out for him.

>AoE spell/Grenade can hit 4 targets
>80-95%
>miss all of them

This felt terrible.
>>
File: like a coma.jpg (67 KB, 616x699) Image search: [Google]
like a coma.jpg
67 KB, 616x699
>>322097914
>Gun Show is hasted
>Uses Full Auto with his assault rifle twice at 82% chance to hit
>One hit out of 10 shots
>>
File: 1449530729401.jpg (218 KB, 584x1110) Image search: [Google]
1449530729401.jpg
218 KB, 584x1110
Do these games even have any replay value?
>>
>>322098315
You'd think they would, with all of the different outcomes for runs and how building your character differently could wildly alter how your runs go, but I really don't feel like there's any good reason to replay it.
>>
>>322098315
You can play as a different build, giving you different dialogue and combat choices
>>
>>322098007
>>322097914
The hit chances in the game are bull.
Good thing the combat is shit in any case, eh?

>>322098315
They really don't. I like the writing a lot, but there really isn't much incentive to do a second play through because it remains extremely linear.
>>
HK feels more like a Shadowrun game.
>>
>>322100478
I personally find the combat pretty fun.

It's just the usual turn based chance% hit bullshit though, like with any other game of this sort

At least here your character actually aims in the direction they're shooting, unlike XCOM
>>
Prolly years since i enjoyed a game as i enjoyed Dragonfall, its so much better than trash like Divinity OS, wasteland and Pillars that isnt even funny

There will be more games after hong Kong, right?
>>
>>322102535
I think the Kickstarter bonus campaign for HK still needs to come out. Other than that though, I believe they have their hands full with Battletech right now.
>>
>>322097008
I went whip on my first playthrough and holy shit was it strong. With a high ranged and cyberweapons skills I could kill anything in 3 hits or less solo. Not to mention the thing comes with a great aoe skill, bleed and armor penetration, all while having a 7 tile hit radius
>>
>>322101680
>>322102535
I found playing it, gameplay-wise; really fucking shit.
XCOM is a fair comparison. It's like XCOM without challenge or satisfaction and it's incredibly slow by comparison.

That said I still wanted to finish it really bad. Solid story and the first time I've cared about characters in a video game for a long time.
>>
>>322103528
I'm doing a second playthrough on and off that's planning on using the whip and a lot of shaman spells.

Do you know how long I'll need to wait until I can get the whip? I think it's like, two or three runs before the cyberdoc offers.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.