[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
was he really too big /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 34
File: TOOBIG44CHAN.png (114 KB, 397x305) Image search: [Google]
TOOBIG44CHAN.png
114 KB, 397x305
was he really too big /v/?
>>
File: 710813.png (79 KB, 260x317) Image search: [Google]
710813.png
79 KB, 260x317
yes
>>
>>322064007

no more than kirby or olimar being too small
>>
>>322064007
He could have worked if more time was put into him, but getting a workable but still loyal-to-source Ridley in Smash is very hard.
>>
>>322064007
No, Sakurai just didn't want him to be playable. Yet he's fine with 6 Fire Emblem characters, 4 of which are anime swordsmen.
>>
>>322064007
Too big 4u
>>
>>322064007

I don't think so, honestly. They could make him work. There are mods that come damn close.

I'm honestly hoping for a new director next time. Sakurai seems to be holding the series back in some aspects.
>>
I would have liked having a big guy to end all big guys in smash 4, like Hugo in the street fighter games. bowser doesn't really count anymore and ridley's probably the next safest bet.
>>
>>322064201
time to fap
>>
If he was big, Smash fans would complain..... If he was small, Metroid fans would complain
People need to get over it
>>
File: screen25.png (147 KB, 445x327) Image search: [Google]
screen25.png
147 KB, 445x327
>>322064385
There's no way in hell Kirby is 8 inches. If that is the case then Adeleine is like 16 inches. Sakurai left the series so his word doesn't mean anything for the franchise anymore.
>>
>>322066217
Olimar is canonically 1 inch.
Bowser is fucking huge in some games.
Canon size has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>322066876
>If that is the case then Adeleine is like 16 inches
Nobody said that wasn't the case.
>>
File: CQb66QeUcAAO4D2.png (102 KB, 194x390) Image search: [Google]
CQb66QeUcAAO4D2.png
102 KB, 194x390
>>322065547
>series that's really popular in japan
>WHY ARE THERE 6 REPS WAHHH

every time
>>
>>322064565
a 14 year old made a 95% finished playable fight, all that was left was balancing and he would have been fine
>>
>>322067249
Okay, pal. Why is it okay for Olimar to be bigger in Smash and not okay for Ridley to be smaller?
>>
>>322067528
because Hackurai's dick tastes too good
>>
>>322067916
That isn't the question I'm asking.

I know Ridley is likely never to be playable is Smash as long as Sakurai is in charge. I don't even particularly care if he is in or not.

I'm just asking why he can't be resized, when Olimar was.
>>
>>322068474
they have no real answer
>>
>>322068474
He's not intimidating if resized.
>>
>>322069945
neither is Ganondorf, Ganondorf s a fucking joke in Smash
>>
No
Besides the size scale in Smash is fucked anyway
You've seriously got things like Lucario being about the same size as Samus
>>
Samurai could give a shit about Metroid. It's why Samus is unplayable. ZSS avoided the same fate through sex appeal and sheer popularity with waifu fags and the desperate
>>
>>322070145
So why would you want to do that to Ridley?
>>
>>322069945
He's a plasma-spewing space pterodactyl. He'd still be threatening if he was four feet tall.
>>
>>322067528
>>322068474
You can't really tell how small Olimar are since there's not much to compare to in the game. You could argue he's obviously small the real-life objects you collect, but none of them make sense in relation to each other. Because of that, it's easy to just make him bigger without too much confusion.

With Ridley, you can easily compare heights with Samus. The smallest difference between their heights was in the original Metroid, where it was close to original Mario and Bowser.

HOWEVER, they would never use that model in the first place. Ridley was completely redesigned for Super Metroid, and that model stayed mostly the same for most of the games. Since then, he's been a huge beast with a giant wingspan.

Unrelated, but, at this point, he doesn't really have any character to be a character. You could talk about his super intelligence or how he's the leader of the Space Pirates or whatever, but we've never seen that. As far as the Metroid games are concerned, he's just a dragon that screeches and kills. It's like if King Dodongo was in Smash.
>>
File: Size_compare1.png (747 KB, 1489x513) Image search: [Google]
Size_compare1.png
747 KB, 1489x513
there is nothing wrong with this size seen here

>>322070862
he is only a joke because of how unbalanced he is, and his clone moveset
>>
File: 1419009683032.jpg (118 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1419009683032.jpg
118 KB, 800x450
>>322070862
He's also a joke in Smash. He's one of the easiest bosses in SSE and the worst boss hazard in 4. At least being playable means he's as kickass as the person using him.

Plus, for all of Sakurai's "I want him to be as faithful as possible" bullshit, Ridley in Smash 4 is allies with whoever beats him up the most, inclusing SAMUS FUCKING ARAN, and one of the reasons Sakurai said he couldn't be playable, "If he can't fly forever and ever then he isn't Ridley", is blown to shit when Ridley spends more than half of his time on the stage ON THE FUCKING GROUND, just like in all of his 3D Metroid appearances.

There's plenty of ways to balance him as a fighter, and only one of them involves adjusting the size of a body part, the rest are simple hitboxes and move properties.
>>
>>322071193
>Unrelated, but, at this point, he doesn't really have any character to be a character.
most of the roster have no character or personality
>>
>>322071193
The manga and other non-canon sources do go much farther than the games on making Ridley a strong character, but there are mentions of Ridley's canon character in the games. Also, I'm pretty sure some of the developers have mentioned it before as well.
>>
>>322071193
>he doesn't really have any character to be a character
I guess none of the pokemon can be playable
>>
>>322071662
plus, he can be a reverse Little Mac
strong aerial game, and fast aerial movement, but sluggish on the ground

just give him multiple jumps like Charizard, and a hover like Peach, and there you have him flying with out actually flying.
>>
>>322071193
>he doesn't really have any character to be a character

Why do people keep using this retarded reason when more than half the roster has no personality? Also, Ridley DOES have a personality, it's "I'm going to kill you and destroy everything you love because I'm an evil asshole".
>>
>>322071193
>You could talk about his super intelligence or how he's the leader of the Space Pirates or whatever, but we've never seen that. As far as the Metroid games are concerned, he's just a dragon that screeches and kills

then all the pokemon should not be playable since all of there "character" comes from the anime, and not the games
>>
File: ...jpg (16 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
...jpg
16 KB, 320x240
>>322067175
>series that's really popular in japan
>FE Fates is not even in the top 20 japanese sales for the wiiu/3ds holiday season

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/3ds-and-wii-u-sales-soar-during-japans-holiday-season#1

every time
>>
File: image.jpg (207 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207 KB, 600x600
>>322064007
Nope. It's just a bullshit excuse. Bowser was huge in the 64 and look at him now. And before you tell me some other bullshit, check this out. The plot of smash is that they are fucking toys fighting. There is no excuse to not put Ridley in. This size excuse is retarded and anyone who supports it or believes it in any way is dumb. I'm not a metroidfag either but even I know Metroid needs at least AT LEAST 2 reps. Pit Icarus has fucking 3. Horseshit.
>>
>>322067175
Fuck off. Pokémon is infinitely more popular than Waifu Emblem will ever hope to be, yet it has lost three characters (two of them being unique) throughout the entire series while Waifu Emblem lost none except for Roy in Brawl. I hope that Hackurai is replaced with a new Director who's biased towards Pokémon instead, because Waifu Emblem is trash.
>>
>>322067175
Fuck off with your weeaboo waifu simulator garbage.
>>
>>322064007
No.
>>
>>322072090
Anime Pikachu is pretty different, Anime Jigglypuff is nothing like Smash Jigglypuff aside from singing. Anime Greninja doesn't even exist yet. Anime Pichu has a brother. The only kind of anime Pokemon are Mewtwo and Lucario.
>>
File: latest[1].png (4 MB, 3118x3500) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
4 MB, 3118x3500
But not as big as Hackurai's bias.
>>
>>322071953
Exactly. And it's funny how Sakurai makes his own characters not be able to fly forever like they do in his games, as well as Charizard the Fire/Flying-type, but he's horrified to do the same to Ridley.

Going into his proportions, the only things that would need to be adjusted are his wings, which can be made the size of his 2D appearances or his Brawl appearance and have no hitboxes at all since he wouldn't need to use them to fight with, and his tail, which can be reducd by 1/4-1/3 of its normal length as well as be curled close to him when he's not using it.

As for mvoes and properties, Ridley can be a character who doesn't do combos and multi-hit moves save for his Pogo Tail. He hits once and he hits hard. His tail can have a narrow hitbox on the blade that does the big damage and knockback while the rest does barely any of either, and his tail attacks can have high startup or endlag. His arms would proportionately have the same range as Ike or Shulk's swords, his mouth a little less. He's got plenty of claw, bite, body, and tail attacks to work with.
>>
>>322072375
>counts 2 samus as 1 rep
don't worry, you'll get your federation force rep soon
>>
No. He easily could have been resized. Sakurai is an ass who won't admit he's wrong. Nobody wants Ridley as a flying boss character. But Sakurai the Great made him one so he's going to stay one forever. Just like Ganondorf being a Falcon clone. Sakurai the Great is never wrong.
>>
>>322072828
>Anime Pikachu is pretty different
not really

and you forgot Charizard, who is like his anime counterpart
>>
>>322072859
a different rep should be a different character entirely
there is literally only 1 character reping Metroid in Smash
>>
>>322073197
not surprising since the series is about isolation
>>
>>322073375
and were does it say that? cause im pretty sure the series is about Samus killing aliens
>>
>>322064007
for you
>>
>>322073375
You again. That means dick-all for a non-canon crossover party game where the characters are living Amiibos who exist only to fight. F-Zero is about racing, but Captain Falcon doesn't do any racing in Smash, so by your logic he shouldn't be in at all.
>>
File: GjOKX.png (232 KB, 1216x516) Image search: [Google]
GjOKX.png
232 KB, 1216x516
>>
His size isn't the main issue, it's really just one in a line of issues for him. Ridley is big, but he's also fast, powerful, can fly, maneuver through the air with fantastic agility, and has long ass range with his whip tail and fire balls. Balancing him would require great effort and would require nerfing basically everything he can do to some extent.

It's kind of bullshit that Sakurai seems to care more about his accuracy than the accuracy of anyone else, but I do think it is fair to say that he would be incredibly difficult to keep balanced without just turning him into a shitty Charizard knockoff and losing most of what made him the character he is.
>>
>>322074297
litterally everything you said, has been done and made into a playable character, all thats missing is minor balance touch-ups and he works fine.

also everything you said can be applied to Ganondorf, and look at what we got...
>>
>>322074637
and he isnt anything like Charizard
>>
>>322074297
A lot of the characters in Smash aren't like they are in their own games, what difference would it make. Little Mac can't jump in Punch-Out, ROB is a real-life toy that can't shoot lasers or fly, Fox and Falco shpuld be in their Arwings, Ganondorf speaks for himself, and Cloudd is his Dissidia version and not his FF7 version.

Make Ridley slow and cumbersome on the ground like he is in the Metroid games, give him a good air game, and make his attacks hit only once but hard if they connect with either startup, endlag, narrow fields of affect, and other things with some combinations.
>>
>>322074716
Neither would Ridley be Charizard. It's hilarious how you people keep saying "X character will be exactly like Y character!", even after said characters happen to be put into the game and they're nothing like the other character you said they'd be.
>>
File: 1450463847242.jpg (176 KB, 1024x755) Image search: [Google]
1450463847242.jpg
176 KB, 1024x755
ITS NOT FAIR!
>>
Nobody ACTUALLY wants Ridley to be playable, it's just a meme wanting him in.
>>
>>322074716
>>322074965
One could say Ridley is just as much like Charizard as Ganondorf is to Captain Falcon.
>>
>>322075124
It is actually a meme, but it was born just to show how Sakurai is biased and don't pay attention to what the public wants.

And it works marvelous at that.
>>
>>322075124
Nah, that would be Sceptile.
>>
>>322074637
>>322074776
I'm just saying, it's not a very decent argument to throw around cases of totally inaccurately designed characters, especially ones that a lot of people were incredibly dissatisfied with, since that's essentially implying Ridley can't work in his natural state and has to be butchered like they were.

>>322074965
>>322074716
Alright the Charizard comparison was bad, I mostly just mean in having him be similarly slow and lumbering and can't really fly or do a lot of things he's known for. I know he wouldn't be a clone or anything silly like that.
>>
>>322075253
>they're dragonish things that breathe fire, that means they're so alike

One could say that Charizard is a Bowser clone, using your logic and assumptions.
>>
>>322075494
I'm saying the characters are similar like an evil wizard with a sword is similar to a futuristic bounty hunter who drives a race car.
>>
>>322075494
Marth is a Link clone because he uses a sword
>>
>>322075405
He wouldn't need to be fucking "butchered", jesus h christ read the goddamned thread, I've gone into great detail explain how all he'd need is his wings shrunk down to proportions he's had in his 2D and Brawl appearances and his ail to be shortened a little bit. That's not fucking "butchering". And if you're going to try arguing about how he wouldn't be fast and super-strong and able to mop the floor with everyone else, well no fucking shit, it's a fighting game, you make everything balanced. Ganondorf shouldn't be able to be harmed by anything except the Master Sword, yet a fucking Pichu can kick his ass six ways to Sunday.
>>
>>322075093
Goku is kinda out of place since he's always been a joke nom. May as well add Shrek and Corey if he's in,
>>
>>322075093
I really do not understand not adding another Star Fox character when Zero is coming out. Do they expect it to flop?
>>
>>322075959
Well then if you think he doesn't have to be butchered quit pointing to characters were butchered as proof that Ridley can work.
>>
>>322071193
>With Ridley, you can easily compare heights with Samus
Pikachu is roughly 1 foot tall whilst Mewtwo is roughly 7ft tall, if the Pokedex is to be believed. That'd make Mewtwo 7 Pikachu's tall in Smash Bros, which just straight up isn't the case.

Also when they're both stood up straight, Twilight Princess Link is up to about Ganondorf's waist in-game, which obviously doesn't follow through into Smash.

There are dozens of other such size inconsistencies I could dig up from the Smash series over the years, but I think everybody else in this thread summed it up perfectly. I don't care if Ridley was in Smash either way, but it's quite obvious that Sakurai just doesn't want him in, and bullshits reasons to fit that agenda
>>
File: ganondorfheight.jpg (54 KB, 800x395) Image search: [Google]
ganondorfheight.jpg
54 KB, 800x395
>>322076482
here you go anon
>>
>>322076427
Fox and Falco are already in the game but people won't buy Star Fox Zero unless Wolf is also in?
>>
>>322076470
I'm pointing to characters that are very different from their sources, try to pay attention. You demand Ridley be 100% faithful while the entire roster is filled with characters that are NOT 100% faithful yet you don't give a damn about them. What's so special about Ridley that he can't be altered the same way the other 58 characters have been?
>>
>>322076731
he means to help advertise the game, and also increase the hype
>>
>>322076871
I'm not saying he has to be 100% faithful, just that he should be accurate to a certain extent. I don't think it's impossible to make Ridley a fighter while feeling accurate, but I know it wouldn't be an easy or simple task at all.

And yes, I would say Ganondorf is butchered, primarily because he is so far from the source material to the point of being a copy of someone unrelated who ALSO has nothing to do with their source material.
>>
File: 1370869104318.jpg (61 KB, 368x518) Image search: [Google]
1370869104318.jpg
61 KB, 368x518
>>322064007
>>
>>322077631
It may be difficult for you to think of it, but I've pointed out several times how he can be playable, remain as faithful as possible, and be balanced. And if I, some random nobody on the internet, can do it, why is it so hard for Sakurai to do it? The only answer is that he didn't try because he didn't want to, which fits with how he's treated the Metroid series in Smash since the first Smash Bros.
>>
File: yee.png (145 KB, 509x428) Image search: [Google]
yee.png
145 KB, 509x428
>>322075351
Nah. Sceptile was my most-wanted character in Smash. And you can't say he isn't popular considering he made it into Pokken Tournament.
>>
>>322078412
you didnt have to add "in Smash"
we understood what you were saying
>>
>>322077958
Metroid has very few characters to pick from. It isn't a character-driven series like Pokémon or Fire Emblem so it makes sense for it to have the representation it does. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
>>
>>322078412
Give me one good reason he should be playable that isn't "muh patterns"
>>
>>322078412
I don't think that means much, that just means he's popular/unique enough to get into a game specifically and entirely about Pokemon, but that's not saying a lot about his popularity across all games.

I mean, I wouldn't call Darunia popular just because he was in Hyrule Warriors, for instance.
>>
File: 1411061556633.jpg (42 KB, 330x315) Image search: [Google]
1411061556633.jpg
42 KB, 330x315
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTje8qdSqX0

TAKE NOTES SAKURAI
RIDLEY ISN'T TOO BIG
>>
>>322078623
>Why is this so hard for people to understand?
Why doesnt F-Zero have more reps?
it certainly is a ... character driven game
>>
>>322078690
All of the Pokémon in Smash are based off the anime. Sceptile has had major roles in the anime as both one of Ash's ace Pokémon and will be the rival of Ash's Greninja in the current XY&Z season. It would also be a good Pokémon to advertise Gen 3 due to all the excessive Gen 1 favoritism. But it's not like it matters anymore. This was Sceptile's final chance to be in Smash. By the time Smash 5 rolls around, Sceptile and Gen 3 won't be as relevant anymore. Plus I can't help but feel like Blaziken would sooner get into Smash than Sceptile, unfortunately.
>>
>>322078623
I love how you change your anti-Ridley argument every time someone blows the previous one out of the water.
>>
File: FFVII_Tifa_FMV.jpg (26 KB, 850x345) Image search: [Google]
FFVII_Tifa_FMV.jpg
26 KB, 850x345
Were they really too big, /v/?
>>
>>322078845
Because F-Zero is a dead series. Just like Mother.
>>
File: disappointment.jpg (37 KB, 506x337) Image search: [Google]
disappointment.jpg
37 KB, 506x337
>>322078807
>using the MOM design...
>still looks awesome
>>
>>322067175
>Fire Emblem
>same amount of reps as Mario
Yep. Makes perfect sense, anon...
>>
>>322078801
Zelda doesn't have as many characters as Pokémon though.
>>
>>322079078
Not big enough
>>
>>322079108
>dead series
irrelevant answer for someone with nothing to reply with

Ice Climbers and Pit were both in dead series (before brawl KI was dead)
>>
>>322079184
Mario actually has 7 reps. I still think it's dumb that FE has the same number of reps as Pokémon. It gained three newcomers while Pokémon lost two unique veterans who had no reason to be cut.
>>
>>322079078
>tfw Tifa's tits have more of a chance than Ridley
>>
>>322078412
You know what, no fuck you. I'm glad we got another default swordsman instead of your garbage pokemon picks.
>>
>>322078623
>Metroid has very few characters to pick from
I agreee.
Which is why its absurd that such an obvious inclusion as Ridley is being ignored because Sakurai dont wanna
If the series had other characters filling spots it wouldn't seem so bad
>>
>>322079241
>Ice Climbers
Not in Sm4sh

>Kid Icarus
Sakurai bias and KI: U was just released in 2012.
>>
>>322079302
>Mario actually has 7 reps

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Rosalina
Bowser Jr.
Dr Mario
Yoshi
Wario
>>
>>322079078
the SJWs got her
>>
>>322079347
>garbage Pokémon pick
But Jigglypuff is still playable.
>>
>>322079421
>Sakurai was biased to a game that didn't exist yet

Fascinating
>>
Remember that MAD TV show that Cartoon Network tried to do years ago? Ridley showed up on it actually. There was a Ms. Universe sketch but with Nintendo girls, and the girls had to get a photo with their main antagonists. Samus showed up and Ridley was SCREEing and tearing shit up and people were freaking the fuck out.

I thought it was nice to see someone actually acknowledge Ridley, unlike Sakurai.
>>
>>322079473
Yoshi and Wario have different series icons.
>>
>>322079421
>>Ice Climbers
>Not in Sm4sh
again irrelivent since they were in brawl and melee, and only left out of sm4sh due to tech problems

>>Kid Icarus
>Sakurai bias and KI: U was just released in 2012.
still years after Brawl was released
>>
>>322079473
>not counting Koopalings
>>
>>322079627
Even MAD TV knows Ridley's a mindless animal that isn't a real character.
>>
>>322079639
ICs and Pit were the token retro characters of Melee and Brawl. They're some of the obvious exceptions.
>>
>>322079421
Not in Smash 4 due to the 3DS, not because they only had one game.

Pit was in Brawl four years before Sakurai made Uprising.
>>
>>322079724
>mindless animal
>yet Duck Hunt is in

kek
>>
>>322064007
No, the too big arguement is a meme.

Sakurai just doesn't want to put him in and all of his excuses contradictory to his own deciaions.
>>
>>322079826
Duck Hunt is more iconic and well-known than Ridley will ever hope to be.
>>
>>322075093
By far the worst fucking meme of the year. Even worse than TRAITOR that /tv/ is trying so hard to push.
>>
>>322079724
Sakurai turned Bowser, DK, and Diddy into mindless animals in Smash. Ridley is the leader of the Space Pirates, a job you don't get from having no intelligence.
>>
File: duckhunt-shoot-dog[1].gif (10 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
duckhunt-shoot-dog[1].gif
10 KB, 512x480
>>322079826
>Duck Hunt
>mindless

In a single NES game Duck Hunt has conveyed more character than Ridley ever has.
>>
File: fad.jpg (12 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
fad.jpg
12 KB, 327x316
>post yfw Ridley will NEVER EVER be playable in Smash
>>
>>322079724
It's been like three years anon, it's time to drop the bait.
>>
>>322079956
Bowser, DK, and Diddy represent their good games. I'm sorry you want Bowser's Inflation Fetish Story quotes or Scooby Kong.
>>
File: image.png (108 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
108 KB, 300x300
>“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”
>>
>>322079318
they have even less of a chance
>>
>>322079974
>thinking character and personality is a requirement for Smash

We'd better get rid of all the Mario characters, all the Pokemon characters, ROB, all of the Zelda characters. Samus, Mega Man, and Ness, then.
>>
>>322080119
Sakurai doesn't want to upset Ganondorf mains who like his moveset.
>>
>>322080119
Smash and KoeiTecmo have treated Ganondorf better than Aonuma.
>>
>>322080209
>being this fucking butthurt his mindless animal got called out

SCREEEE ROARRR SCREEEEEE
>>
>>322080226
what a load of bullshit
how can anyone fucking believe it was anything else but fucking lazyness
he didnt want to mke up a new moveset so he fucking copied the old one from brawl then bullshit out his ass an excuse for not changing him
>>
>>322080072
So then Ridley IS perfectly fine for Smash without a personality, since you've just said that the characters don't need personalities to be in. Especially since he's been in all of the good Metroid games and hasn't has a personality, just like Samus.
>>
>>322080209
>Samus
Samus actually has personality in the games though
>>
>>322080419
But Ridley would be out of character if he got shrunk down.
>>
>>322080419
Bowser, DK, and Diddy have personality. Just because they make animal sounds doesn't mean they don't.

Ridley has never conveyed a single ounce of character and is just a snarling slobbering beast that gets forcefed missiles until he gets a tummy ache.
>>
>>322080338
>I can't counter him, so I'd better start throwing around /v/ buzzwords and memes and hope he goes away

You said yourself characters need personalities to be in, and none of those characters have personalities. By YOUR rules they need to be removed.
>>
>>322080478
Not nearly as out of character as Ganondorf fighting exactly like Captain Falcon.

>>322080524
So they don't have personalities but they do have personalities, it all depends on what argument you need to make.
>>
If we play on the smaller maps will he die?
>>
>>322080524

>the personality meme

Nigga. Stop fucking around. You know as much as I do personality doesn't mean shit to nobody. Corrin got in and nobody fucking knows her/his personality (maybe japan)

Sakurai adds whoever the fuck he wants. That's that. I'm sick of these bullshit requirements you faggots make up
>>
>>322080524
cause a mindless beast would know how to steal a metroid from a heavily guarded government space lab
>>
>>322080448
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Only Prime and Fusion go through the effort of giving her a personality. maybe a tiny bit int Super too.

The games don't say much about Ridley. We learn from Super and Zero Mission that despite being bestial, he IS intelligent. He was piloting the mother ship in ZM, he knows when to best ambush Samus, he knows how to fuck up important shit to cause her the most trouble, and he knew the importance of the baby Metroid. Plus we know that Pirates gravitate towards strong, intelligent leaders, and prior to MB Ridley was in charge. That goes to show he has to be smart.
>>
>>322080692
>guy with the triforce of power fights by punching you in the face and slamming his boot down your throat

Sounds pretty in character to me.
>>
I think it's fine. Sakurai has acknowledged Metroid more than Nintendo. Personally I would just let Metroid die after that Federation Force fiasco.
>>
>>322080524
I know when I think of Game and Watch, ROB, Lucario, Charizard, and Pac Man I think about their rich personality.
>>
>>322080794
Name a Zelda game where he fights Link as an unarmed physical brawler.
>>
>>322080794
At this point you have to realize how stupid your shitposting has gotten.

It's okay, you're anonymous. You can walk away right now, nobody will blame you.
>>
>>322080857
This. Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, AC, FE and Splatoon are pretty much Nintendo's "Biggest 6" now. Metroid isn't worth anything anymore.
>>
File: tumblr_lwvhm75TXe1qcscw9[1].gif (383 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lwvhm75TXe1qcscw9[1].gif
383 KB, 500x250
>>322080926
>>
Ridley's size has nothing to do with it. Sakurai just isn't going to add another character from a dead franchise. You might as well complain about Samurai Goroh not being in the game too.
>>
>>322081143
not a fight
nd not even a move in Smash
>>
>>322081143
An early-game cutscene is the best you can do?
>>
>>322081282
>dead franchise
>new game coming out
>dead
>>
File: kek.jpg (16 KB, 236x284) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
16 KB, 236x284
>metroidfags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE37PplM5ps
>>
File: 1450432208203.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1450432208203.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
>>322081525
>>
>>322081381
>there are people out there that actually consider Freedom Force an actual Metroid game

Just like Silent Hill not being dead because they made Book of Memories. Remember how well that turned out?
>>
>>322079016
I'm the one that made >>322077631, and I'm not the guy you're responding to.

I think you're oversimplifying how much effort it would take to make him accurate and balanced. I'm sure Sakurai could do it if he wanted, though, I agree on that.
>>
>>322080119
meanwhile Bowser ran like a car for two games and Giga Bowser, a made up monstrocity, is his final smash.
>>
File: umtsumtsumts.gif (947 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
umtsumtsumts.gif
947 KB, 500x344
>>322064007

THREAD THEME
>THREAD THEME
THREAD THEME
>THREAD THEME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0htN7cTNP8
>>
>>322082429
The ony reason people say he wouldn't be accurate is because he'd be a little smaller, which is less than what some other characters have had done to them.
>>
sakurai dont know games anymore, we need a new fun loving visionary
>>
>>322082880
And his flight would have to be reduced, but Charizard and Dark Pit also don't have their canonical full flight so whatever.
>>
>>322083235
Neither of those characters have canonical full flight.
>>
File: 1403497514491.gif (637 KB, 245x175) Image search: [Google]
1403497514491.gif
637 KB, 245x175
>>322067175
>popular in Japan
haha, more like FE dev staff showed Skaurai big bucks and he added SIX representatives, 3 of which are CLONES
>>
>>322083332
And Fox and Captain Falcon don't canonically have any of their Smash moves except blaster pistols, what's your point.

>the Fire/Flying-type Pokemon is unable to fly canonically

ORAS Sky Battles. Immune to Ground-type moves. The anime.
>>
>>322083345
>Roy
>Lucina

Who's the third clone? Alos Roy was Luigified in 4.
>>
>>322083332
>Charizard cant fly

you are REEEEAAAALLY trying...
>>
>>322083601
>>322083763
It can fly for a while, but not forever.
>>
>>322083874
ok troll
>>
>>322075093
get Goku, S.Knight, and Geno out please the fasn clamoring for them are autistic and those 3 dont deserve to be in smash ever
>>
>>322083874
Just like Ridley, who spends at least 50% of the time on the ground in all the 3D Metroid games.
>>
>>322084102
>counting spin-off games
>>
>>322078807
whoa w8 was Project M gona have more characters?
>>
>>322084194
>getting this desperate

He also spends time on the ground in all of the 2D games as well. In Super he first appears sitting on the ground both times you fight him. In Zero Mission he lands on the ground a lot when attacking. In Fusion he also starts bon the round and even does a crouch and leap to get airborne.
>>
>>322084194
>spin-off games
ok troll
>>
>>322083721
Roy, Lucina, and im counting Marth fuck you
>>
>>322082880
It's not just his size. His speed is the big thing, really. Ridley is a fast and agile motherfucker for his size, and that would have to go, or be greatly changed.
>>
>>322084936
If they're all clones, then who's the original?
>>
File: 1433882694825.gif (1 MB, 446x469) Image search: [Google]
1433882694825.gif
1 MB, 446x469
>tfw Anti-Ridleyfags are literally nitpicking reasons why Ridley wont be playable
Sakurai d-does no wrong guys
>>
>>322085135
You mean like how Ike is slow as fuck when his Speed stat is his highest stat in his games? No problem. Also, that's in the air, which he can still retain some of by having three jumps, a hover like Peach, and good air speed and agility like Jigglypuff and Wario.. On the ground he can be a bit slow and cumbersome, like he is in the Metroid games.
>>
>>322085192
it's Roy, im just saying we have 6 reps for FE, 3 of whom play the same

we only really need Marth/Roy, Ike, and Robin with Lucina being a Marth costume
>>
>>322064007
Why do so many people complain? This is Sakurai's game. He can add whoever he wants!
>>
>>322085419
Agreed, but Roy really didn't play similar to Marth in Melee and he certainly doesn't play like him now, similar mvoes notwithstanding. The placement of his sweet spot alone means you have to use Roy differently, and that's on top of his fire-empowered attacks, multi-hitting Up Smash and Up B, very different movement and air speeds, weight, fall speed, Counter with different properties and frames, etc.
>>
>>322085419
Why make characters costumes? There's no reason to. Unless seeing one more face on the character select screen makes you scream TRIGGERED like a tumblrwhale?
>>
>>322066560
I'd rather him be small, I mean I'm a Metroid fan but there's not many of us so who really gives a shit. His first two incarnations weren't even that big, but every subsequent iteration has made him fuck huge

>>322066119
I think the problem is that big=slow in most fighting games, whereas Ridley is fast as fuck in the 2D Metroids
>>
>>322085643
it does when there are 3 characters that make up six of a game that shouldnt have that many reps play the same and 2 of them are very much gender swapped versions of each other

and in this game they introduced costumes

so if they wanted Lucina or Doc Mario they might as well make them costumes like they did with Alph they might as well do that
>>
>>322085389
Again, I don't think it's impossible to balance him, but really keeping all of that accurate, balanced, and actually feeling natural to play seems like a challenge, and I think that's the main reason he keeps getting passed over, since most other characters don't have those sorts of hurdles.

>You mean like how Ike is slow as fuck when his Speed stat is his highest stat in his games?

Yes Sakurai is hypocritical, I know already.
>>
>>322086020
Every time I have this discussion with my brother it just comes down to fact that Samurai is fucking hack. I can't believe those faggots actually worship him
>>
>>322086020
LAll three of the clones were going to eb alt costumes but Sakurai made them separate because they had the differences from their bases nd Sakurai wated them to be trackable with online stats. Plus his personal reasons:

Lucina because he wanted an Easy Mode Marth for beginners.

Dr. Mario because he was afraid his fans would be sad if he was an alt costume.

Dark Pit because him using the Sacred Treasures would be out of character for him.

Alph and the Koopalings have no differences and were never meant to, so they remained costumes.
>>
>>322086302
For fuck's sake, how many times do I need to explain something before you stop repeating the same tired shit every post?
>>
>>322071953
So jigglypuff?
>>
>>322086686
Well you keep repeating yourself and I think there's just a simple difference of opinion.

You think adding him would be easy, I disagree. Leave at that.
>>
>>322086727
And Wario, and whichever other characters have multiple jumps and/or good air speed. Total clone, right?
>>
>>322072225
>>322072452
>>322072647
>>322079184
>>322083345
Trolled :^)
>>
File: h3u0buO.jpg (39 KB, 400x390) Image search: [Google]
h3u0buO.jpg
39 KB, 400x390
Nah, Samurai just says shit sometimes.
>>
>>322086832
Maybe the difference is how exact do you want him to be. What do you want from Ridley in Smash?

The only difference between him in Smash and in Metroid would be size, a little proportion, speed and agility, and the addition of him having weight and other Smash-specific characteristics. Everything he does as attacks in Metroid he can do in Smash along with whatever moves can be bullshitted up. So what ius it you personally want, how Metroid-specific do you want him to be, what deviations do you think are acceptable, etc?
>>
>>322064565
Make him just a little bigger than Bowser and he's still big enough to throw Samus with one hand.
>>
File: tumblr_l9us5w3ofH1qcnbjko1_400.jpg (21 KB, 400x309) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l9us5w3ofH1qcnbjko1_400.jpg
21 KB, 400x309
>Height in smash
>>
>>322064007
Nah. He could've been shrunk to Charizard size. Sakurai just didn't want to do it, and that's fine.
>>
>>322064201
I just found this pic. Poor Ridley.
Time to fap.
>>
>>322087293
>Sakurai just didn't want to do it, and that's fine.
Except he gave us a bullshit excuse, among other excuses that he later became hypocritical about. The least he could do is apologize

>inb4 hugbox
I'm just saying what a very good person would do, not what he should do. I'd have probably stayed silent and said fuck that small majority of fans as well
>>
File: me0001160432_2.jpg (89 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
me0001160432_2.jpg
89 KB, 256x192
>>322066876
Kirby is the size of an apple.
>>
>>322086431
This.
>>322087548
Also this. Samurai should have just said "no. I don't want to make Ridley because I don't want to." instead of giving us some whiney bs
>>
>>322079473
>Yoshi
>Wario
Thats like saying that Mario is DK rep
>>
>>322087578
to be fair those apples are bigger than regular apples
>>
File: 1422847347277.jpg (137 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1422847347277.jpg
137 KB, 800x450
Really wish I had pictures of the characters' models to do this better.

Take this image right here. Scale Ridley up a little more, so he's between DK and Bowser;s height when on all fours. When he rears on his hind legs for anything, he'd be a little taller than Bowser, but not by much. So overall he'd be the largest character size-wise, but he can still be lighter than Bowser and DK and Dedede because of his lankyness.

The tail is a bit problematic, but that's easy to work with.
1) Shorten it a little bit, to Brawl Ridley's tail length will work
2) Have him keep it curled close to himself when he's not using it
3) A narrow hitbox verticaly on the blade that does the big damage and knockback, with the tail itself barely doing either. Also have most tail attacks be stabs that hit a narrow area and have either startup or endlag.
4) Since only the blade hits hard and the tail doesn't hit a large area with most moves, you'd want to have distance when using tail attacks and need to time it well.

His wings can be shrunk to Brawl Ridley's proportions (which also matches his 2D appearances nicely), and have no hitboxes at all since he never uses them to attack with, his claws and tail and body and mouth can do all of that.
>>
>>322071193
>you can't really tell how small Olimar is
except that's the entire point of the game.
>>
>>322088189

What a kick ass picture. I really wish Nintendo made some quality pikmin toys. I would love shit like that in my living room, just chilling on the table. Cozyy
>>
>At least he can apologize
Well, that is the ironic part of it. As a Japanese, and dedicating most of his life on anime and filling with other Japanese main stream ideology (follow what is "popular"), Sakurai might just see Ridley a kaju rather than what Ridley really is in his series. Heck, even if he said fire emblem has many characters simply because timing and Cloud because of the previous requests, those characters are his field, be precise, anime field.
>>
File: Business Suit Samus.jpg (150 KB, 1170x1644) Image search: [Google]
Business Suit Samus.jpg
150 KB, 1170x1644
Even if Ridley was downsized he'd still be complete trash on the basis of being the largest character in the game with the largest hurtbox.
Enjoy your E-tier, nerds.
>>
>>322064007
Too gangly and awkward. Limbs are too long and he'd look like he was in a fetal position to keep him at viable proportions. Overall size has little to do with it.
>>
Post a thing here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Y1XMTVDxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQSZnaZhGY
>>
>>322088189
>>322088483
I have this poster. Very nice to look at.
>>
File: 0FVWoya.jpg (250 KB, 1365x768) Image search: [Google]
0FVWoya.jpg
250 KB, 1365x768
BIG
>>
>>322088189
The world of Pikmin as depicted here (and in-game) is more or less how the world of Pikmin is depicted in Smash. The way the camera is always close to these small characters so you can see them sets the "normal" size of the characters and the world relative to the "perspective" of the game. It's why the Smash characters are small like Olimar when on a Pikmin stage, and Olimar is about as tall as other short characters but not a tiny speck. There's a certain logic to the way things are resized.
>>
>>322087175
Mostly I think Ridley is primarily defined by his flight and maneuverability in the air, combined with his fire attacks and whip-tail which seem like naturally long range attacks, and as a large character it would feel most natural for him to be heavy and powerful.

Primarily I just think great consideration would have to be made to make his high speed movements combined with strong attacks fair, while also making him feel natural. I don't think it would feel natural if he were floaty or his attacks lacked weight/strength, but floatiness is typically the result of characters that stick to the air a lot. Then you've got the fact that flight would likely mean he'd have amazing recovery.

Most importantly all of this would have to combine in a way that's actually fun and interesting to play.
>>
>>322089594
I can imagine Ridley being top tier.
>>
>Lot of fans defending Sakurai because he works like a horse - Can't deny it
But, there is one thing, one thing that I cannot let it slip is that Nintendo literally doing the same treatment to Metroid. Although I did not play all of the games, I just hate to act like a spectator. From now on, if nintendo does not returns Metroid a favor, Metroid will be Nintendo's megaman.
Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.