[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 5
File: rs.png (111 KB, 478x156) Image search: [Google]
rs.png
111 KB, 478x156
What went wrong?
>>
>>322026275
best questlines of any mmo
worst almost everything else
>>
Evolution of combat and microtransactions

GE was a good idea but ultimately killed player to player trading
>>
Ever since the rs3 graphical update.

It all went to shit after that.
>>
Removing free trade, adding the Grand Exchange, micro transactions, ridiculous bonus experience, evolution of combat, sparse updates.

It'd be easier to list what didn't go wrong.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-26+at+09.24.38).png (44 KB, 769x205) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-26+at+09.24.38).png
44 KB, 769x205
these, and the pervasive attitude they created
>>
>>322026275
the playerbase, they managed to create a group that hated change, lack of change and any form of engaging content
>>
File: goeb.png (309 KB, 443x347) Image search: [Google]
goeb.png
309 KB, 443x347
>>322027581
>sparse updates
>>
>>322026275
It got old. Comparing RS to other MMORPGs is like night and day. While other games adapted to changing audience, RS kept itself as a shitty browser game with slow updates and now it's too late.

People who blame GE, skillcapes or whatever are the reason why it's dying. Refusing change and muh nostalgia rng simulator.
>>
>Best questlines and lore of any MMO
>Something for everyone - active or passive skills
>Like oldschool but don't want to restart your account? Play Legacy Mode
>Like Oldschool interface but prefer the new style of combat? you can mix and match interface/UI
>easy to make money so you won't be working three weeks straight to get rune armor
>>
>>322026275

Is there anything wrong with OSRS, except arguable the GE?
>>
>>322029941

membership is $10 when it used top be 7
>>
>>322030024

Still cheaper than most other MMOs.
>>
>>322029842

want your protection prayers to be almost useless, your blows to connect only half the time, and the entire combat triangle to be completely fucked up? Just play legacy mode!
>>
>>322029941
>>322027593
>>
>>322026275
We grew up.

the days of spending hours and hours on Runescape with friends, grinding up skills to be able to grind more skills isn't fun anymore.

It was also so many people's first MMORPG, if it wasn't maplestory. There's a lot of rosy retrospection for it.

I went back to my old account recently, grinded a ton, and finished almost every quest. Without a doubt it has the best quests of any MMO out there, but there aren't many.
>>
>>322030251

That's more of a personal gripe than a problem with the game itself.
>>
>>322026275
The kikes got control of it.

It's owned by a hedge fund whos only purpose is to rake in some shekels every year.

Back when Gower and his gang were in control it wasn't too bad, then they got rid of the wildnerness and free trade because they couldn't deal with the mass credit card scamming.
>>
>>322026275
Still pretty good.
>>
>>322027858
29 quests came out in 2006. 2015 had like 8.
>>
>>322026275

retarded xp rates to hit 99, grinding is mind numbingly awful. people resort to mass botting.

godswords

removal of free trade
>>
>>322030120

i prefer EoC anyway :^)

just need to use legacy interface because EoC is a fuckfest.
>>
It died when they put in trading limits and the GE.
>>
>>322030340
no, they really are a problem with the game

because of skillcapes, basically everyone who plays the game has this really cancerous "no xp waste" attitude, and the developers make content to target this

like, everyone gets SUPER upset at any mention of making something like Runecrafting less mind-numbingly tedious and long to get to a level required to do something because "it'd devalue the skillcape"

also, despite the quests being objectively the best part of the game, the majority of the community actually hates them because questing isn't standing around doing the same fucking thing for millions of years, and you run into a lot of people with very high skill totals but tons of quests left uncomplete, and everyone whines when quests have rewards because you can't get them without doing the quests

what they think is the best part of the game is the Slayer skill, which is basically the shitty quests of other MMOs grouped together into one skill with incredibly slow xp rates

it's really fucking dumb; although OSRS is a much better balanced game I actually prefer playing RS3 because even though the same attitude permeates at least everyone realizes it's already easyscape and doesn't throw shitfests at things becoming cheaper/quicker, and it actually gets new quests and has the Dungeoneering skill
>>
>>322031101
>because of skillcapes, basically everyone who plays the game has this really cancerous "no xp waste" attitude, and the developers make content to target this
this isn't because of skill capes.

this is because the only people left playing the game are the autistic faggots.
>>
click to move
>>
File: dp_marching2.png (152 KB, 731x387) Image search: [Google]
dp_marching2.png
152 KB, 731x387
>>322026275
>Proper PvP gets removed back in around 2007
>Some shitty minigame gets put in its place
>Me and my friends leave, the PvP clans gone
>Years later devs start getting their shit together and start putting everything back
all the people who would like to do PvP left long ago, wilderness is empty and its too late
>>
File: Bustin.jpg (36 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Bustin.jpg
36 KB, 512x512
I loved Runescape as a kid.
However, when I played for the first time in 10 years recently there were glaring issues
>Skills take a shit ton of XP to level up once you get past level 70
>Combat, both legacy and new, are boring. New combat less so.
>Quests are fun, but leveling up skills to high levels just to do them is not
>Degrading weapons/armor
Mostly, it's the grind that killed Runescape.
When you're a kid, there was more fun and wonder to the grind. Maybe we've become more accustomed to instant gratification with modern games. I don't know. All I know is that, for me, the grind wasn't fun at all.
I do like the Grand Exchange, as it gives some skills alternative ways to level up without having to grind out the materials (Herblore, Summoning), but that doesn't change the fact that you need to make 10,000 of the highest level potion you can make to get to the next level, and then make 100,000 more to get to the next potion. Imagine having to grind mobs for all 100,000 of those herbs you need.
Now, I did have fun when I played, but that was mostly because of being able to experience the nostalgia it gave me. But the gameplay itself was boring and stagnant. The lack of lower level content for skills is a big issue. Also, weapon/armor degradation is a joke.
>>
>>322031101

but dungeoneering is fucking awful

how can you bitch about slayer and then praise dungeoneering?
>>
>>322027206
EoC ruins it so much. the simplicity of combat was perfect, now its pointless.
>>
I came back to RS earlier this year after a 2 year break, been playing since 2005 and honestly I've never been more addicted. The combat is good, last couple quests have been great as well. PvM is fun, raids is good of you have a good group. Invention will be fun, even though it's a money sink.. but I have 6b+ anyways to waste

Fun game, osrs is fun too
>>
Jagex kept releasing stupid updates left and right trying to fix what wasn't broken causing everyone to leave and now it's a ghost town.
>>
>>322031249
dungeoneering is fantastic; running wildly through maps while everything is shitting damage on you managing the gates of 5 people trying to open every door as fast as possible is really fun desu
>>
>>322031039

sorry but no one needs to be buying 50k air runes at one time. that leads to price manipulation more than there already is.
>>
was fun back in classic-classic. simple, members felt optional. i mean it still is optional but now theres a lot of crazy shit that came out since i stopped (around when dragon med helm was the only dragon armor available)

i miss the simple style
>>
>>322031541
GE shouldn't even be in the game.

Why would you put an electronic stock market system in a medieval setting?

Make those merchants work for their money.
>>
>>322031541
What the fuck are you even talking about?
I'm talking about the fact that I was limited in the amount of money I could give my friends.
I didn't even know they put a max on shit you can buy in GE, that's just fucking retarded.
>>
>>322031467

>running through maps as fast as possible and praying you can get the ingredients you need to make a potion to boost your stats for a skill you'd otherwise never use just to open one door or take from one resource is great
>>
2 more days

RiD Genesis

100% undetectable bot

its time to play runescape again boys
>>
>>322031927

>game based around skill grinding
>skipping the grinding completely

whats the point?
>>
>>322031765

no one wants to spend hours trying to sell or buy their shit.

When oldschool introduced the trading posts, I felt that was a lot better than the G.E.

Instead of everyone being crowded in one spot, have a G.E. esque spot in each bank where you can post your items for sale. People would still need to travel and add you to buy/sell, but still, it was a lot better than the G.E.

Then people didn't want this because its too much of a hassle, so they just threw the G.E. in there.

The G.E. keeps a lot of people playing. Just wish trade posts were a thing.
>>
>>322032013
>He thinks the best part of the game is grinding
Wow anon, could you please tell us more about how shit your taste is?
>>
>>322032080
>no one wants to spend hours trying to sell or buy their shit.
then stop bitching when merchant clans control the GE.
>>
>>322032126

where did I say that?
>>
>>322026275
Built a game that caters to retards
Retards upset when new features are added to the game
Retards play old version with less mechanics instead

Nothing went wrong. Runescape is a containment game for players that would be shitting up my MMO.
>>
>>322031887

oh if you were talking about that, it's lifted. same with PKing, that's back too, but sadly no one does it anymore because "xp waste".

Problem with modern day RS is everyone wants Max stats, and only bankstands. No more minigames.

>no conquest
>no castlewars

etc.

sucks really. even in oldschool no one does this.
>>
>>322032080
The trading post was great. Some sucker paid me 50k for a black plate-body.
>>
>>322032013
>real life is based around grinding
>make robot to skip grinding of picking cabbages by hand completely
what's the point?
>>
I wish I could figure out how to start my own private server again, but this time, actually code new things into it.
>>
>>322032274
I know they changed it back but it's way too late.
They should have listened to the fanbase instead of shilling for more jew gold like previous anons have said.
>>
>>322032398

>game is based aorund leveling up skills
>lets skip that completely so we're 99 in everything and have nothing to do but PK
>>
>>322032504
>>lets skip that completely so we're 99 in everything and have nothing to do but PK
sounds good, new mode when?

also might want to actually refute my argument because so far you haven't.
>>
>>322032567

the game is based around skilling, and you want to skip that completely

how is that not an argument
>>
>>322032504
rs originally wasn't based around maxing tho

like, gowers were legitimately surprised that someone bothered to get a 99 in something

rs should have capped all content at like level 75 in things and let endgame be minigames, economic shenanigans, pking, and so on
>>
>>322032673
false premise m8.

bots will never go away no matter how many shekels you give to your kike masters running jagex.
>>
>>322032187
You said the game is based on skill grinding and then implied that skipping said grinding would leave the game without a point.
Which makes you fucking retarded because that is not the fun part of the game.
I hate all you fucks who just want to get to max as quickly as possible, you literally ruined runescape.
It used to be about questing and exploring every bit of game content.
Now people only play it to grind.
Might as well play clicker heroes or some mobile trash if that's all you want to do.
>>
Nothing went wrong. It was a stepping stone to better MMOs.
>>
>>322032906

I didnt say the grinding was fun, dumbass

Its centered around leveling up skills so you can do more things or unlock more quests to open up the world
>>
Here's a better question, why are Runescape quests centuries better than any other MMO in literally all respects.
I played a shit load of FF14 and only stopped a few months ago yet I don't think I could name a single character from the game.
Versus Runescape which I stopped playing almost 7 years ago yet I can remember most characters and easily remember what all the quests were about.
>>
>>322033142
>Its centered around leveling up skills
you're mentally retarded.
>>
>>322033692

except Im not

want to go into the wildy? or into catherby? better level up your combat or you'll be rekt in less than a minute

want to get food that'll do more then heal 7 HP? better raise your fishing level, and cooking elvel to cook it

want to stop running out of run energy after jsut 15 seconds? better raise agility

and on and on
>>
>>322033142
It wasn't originally centered around grinding newfag.
It was centered around questing and exploring which is why quests gave more experience than grinding.
But then all these power leveling jews came in and completely changed the focus of the game.
>>
>>322033937
your original argument was that grinding is the entire point of the game.

you have now been blown the fuck out as there is no reason to grind if you can still achieve the said levels.

sorry faggot, suck some merchant cock a bit more and maybe there won't be as many bots as there are now.
>>
>>322034176

actually, I didnt say that at all, but I can see you're not even listening to what Im saying

go ahead and get these high levels by questing

but oh wait, quests require you to grind skills in order to be able to do them...hmmmm, now how would you solve this conundrum
>>
>>322033937
Have you even played the game?

>want to go into the wildy? or into catherby better level up your combat or you'll be rekt in less than a minute
Unless you're a retard and run into deep wildy at level 36 you'll be fine pking in the shallows with people around your level.

>want to get food that'll do more then heal 7 HP? better raise your fishing level, and cooking elvel to cook it
OR you can buy food you fucking autist

>want to stop running out of run energy after jsut 15 seconds? better raise agility
Or you could just manage your stamina.

People like you killed runescape.
>>
>>322034509
>actually, I didnt say that at all, but I can see you're not even listening to what Im saying

>>322032013
>>game based around skill grinding
>>skipping the grinding completely
>what's the point?

good try.

>but oh wait, quests require you to grind skills in order to be able to do them...hmmmm, now how would you solve this conundrum
Not if you bot m8. stay assmad.
>>
>>322034587

manage your stamina? Go ahead and try going to catherby from varrock or lumbridge by managing your stamina

Im sure its fun taking almost half an hour or longer to get there
>>
It died in 07 when they removed Free Trade and the Wilderness, it never came back after that and it never died again after that.

If you disagree with this you're wrong
>>
>>322034509
You're mixing up people anon but I'll go ahead and answer your question.
High levels are not the point of Runescape.
People like you over time bitched and bitched about how hard it was to level because you're too fucking stupid to understand that the fun part of the game is just questing trading and exploring.
But then 13 year olds like you saw Zezima for the first time on the high score boards and started scrambling for whatever gave the highest xp per hour.
That's why you're a fucking tard and should probably kill yourself.
You literally put more value into how big your total level was then enjoying the actual bulk of the game.
>>
>>322034796
I'll teleport because I'm not a fucking retard.
>>
>>322026275
G/E, achievement capes, removing free trade, removing risk, encouraging grind, clan chat

Runescape was destined to suffer anyway as the landscape of the internet changed.
>>
>>322035049
This guy is right, Easyscape killed RS, people that play the game just to level up and make money as a sort of dick measureing contest ruined the game.

The games about adventuring and questing and having fun with some buddies. Not making numbers grow larger.
>>
>>322034820
I agree but there's more to it than that.

The fat ass kikes who took control got rid of wildy/free trade because they couldnt deal with the constant credit card scamming from chinese gold farmers, or so they claim.

They said they would be broke in 6 months if it didnt stop, the problem is that it didnt stop and yet they continued with having removed free trade/wild. This seems more like an attempt by the kikes to get full control of the company by forcing gower and his goons out.

Once gower realized that they had a majority of the stocks he just sold his shares and took off.
>>
>>322026275
Squeal of Fortune update is when I decided to quit
>>
>>322026275
Trying to implement a 'modern' MMO combat system on a game with a shitty engine.
>>
>>322027593

You don't like spending hundreds of hours grinding a skill for no purpose other than a cosmetic piece to show off your e-peen?
>>
>>322035168
>teleport
you need to level up those skills to teleport
looks like you're the retarded one
>>
>>322035984
>muh levels
still assmad I see.

go pick some cotton like the nigger that you are and make yourself some clothes faggot.

after all, you need levels to wear clothes right? lel.
>>
>>322026275
evolution of combat
>>
>>322030526
This desu
>>
The gameplay was never particularly interesting. Though, the crafting was good.

It STILL has the best quests of any MMO.

Seriously, why can't other developers get this right?
>>
>>322031223

It's not just you, nobody likes grinding in video games.

Well except for autists and children (Who have the time to do it)
>>
>>322036451
>Seriously, why can't other developers get this right?
kike owners cant into creative quests nor do they want to hire anyone to make them.
>>
>>322035984
Lodestones unlock from get go noob. Killed the point of wasting runes on a teleport.
>>
>>322036451
Most people don't give a shit about good quests and want quantity over quality.
>>
updates, updates destroyed the game
it was fun playing a simple game and annoying other players but with graphic updates game became some fantasy piece of shit and combat got completely fucked up
>>
>>322036451

Because why make good quests that people can only do once when you could just make more PvE, PvM, or PvP?

I hate MMOs
>>
Removing free trade was the beginning of the end.
>>
>>322037046

The worst part of it, is that the whole "go fetch 10 dicknipples" type quests are starting to bleed over into single player RPGs.
>>
>>322037574

Only as radiant quests and for that you can blame Skyrim for their claim of "Infinite number of quests"
>>
I hear there's like 4 versions of RS right now? Will my account be able to use all of them? Does anything carry over?
>>
>>322030608
yeah but the shit we got in 2006 didn't exactly have much to them or take as much graphical work
>>
>>322026275
The Wilderness and the kinds of players it attracted. I wish they would remove PvP from it again.
>>
>>322031018
if you don't use eoc you quite literally do a fraction of the damage and don't have the ability to drop shit while fishing, mining, woodcutting, etc as easily
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.