[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't cross platform multiplayer become a normal thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: PS4-Xbox-One-PC.jpg (43 KB, 930x545) Image search: [Google]
PS4-Xbox-One-PC.jpg
43 KB, 930x545
Why can't cross platform multiplayer become a normal thing?
It seems like such an obvious feature for modern multiplayer games to have. But I can't think of a single one that has it besides Rocket League.
>>
I'm sure either Microsoft or Sony don't allow it with the competition even if devs wanted to, cross-play with PC should usually be possible though.

However, games running differently and often not even being on the same version (consoles bring a lot of issues in that regard, everything needs to be approved first), can make the whole process very complicated. Especially if it's not turn based.

Also the issue of different control schemes and similar where it could be considered unfair when one works better.
>>
>>321967286
>there will never be a cross-platform faction-based multiplayer game for all main platforms where the faction you join is decided by the platform you're playing the game on
>>
>>321966976
because console fags will claim PC players are cheating, since they use a mouse and peasants cant begin to understand the advantage that gives you over a controller
>>
>>321966976

I wish cuz I love drinking tears of anally annihilated sonyggers being pwnd left and right.
>>
>>321967819
>implying it gives any advantage
Someone who is good with a controller is on the same level as someone who is good with KB&M
>>
>>321967819
Should just do like UT3 on PS3 did, there was an option to make the server/room be controller-only or allow m&k -- so it was up to users (except for co-op, everything was allowed there)

Shame didn't let you do cross-play still (talking about native m&k support), but it did allow to run dedicated servers from a PC which was nice.

On a related note, think most people were using controller because even though I suck I was a walking god with m&k since most rooms didn't bother blocking it.
>>
Street Fighter V will be crossplay with PC and PS4 right?
>>
>>321968281

very rare. In fact, Mediocre PC players slaughter elite console players easily.
>>
Because cheaters on PC will ruin all the fun for console players. Some people buy console only because they don't want to deal with cheaters.
>>
>>321968281
no. its not even close. only a person who cant use a mouse properly would think that
>>
>>321966976
Because social pressure to make people buy an Xbox.

Also wouldn't work for FPS which would be the main thing to crossplatform, because mouse.

>>321968281
No they aren't. My favorite FPS is on console, but no.
>>
>>321966976
Because mouse and keyboard players absolutely curbstomp controllerfags like the smelly niggers they are.
>>
>>321968529
Of course, because it is easier and faster to aim with mouse, there is no discussion here.
>>
>>321966976
it was a thing

but PC players being mouse and keyboard literally beat everyone else
>>
>>321966976
It's hard to sync 24FPS with 60-120.
>>
>>321966976
Microsoft would never allow it.
PlayStation 4 and pc have sync ups all the time
>>
>>321968809
PC always wins because KB/mouse > controller
>>
>>321968809
>Microsoft would never allow it
Xbox 360 was the first console to have cross-platform play with PC you dumbfuck.
>>
>>321966976
I remember Warframe promised crossplay between the PS4 and PC versions but then decided to drop it and make the PS4 and later XBOne versions a content patch or two behind the PC.

PS4 and XBOne Warframe might be able to crossplay, but I doubt it.
>>
>>321968924
I doubt they'll allow cross-play between bone and PS4 though

but the same might be going on with Sony, I'm sure at least one of them is telling devs to fuck off if they suggest it

PC is an independent platform on the other hand so lot more leeway
>>
>>321968924
That anon did bring up a good point. The reason FF XIV isnt on XBone is because Microsoft was being a shit and didn't want to do crossplay because "business"
>>
>>321968924
being first doesn't mean much, that was likely before they had any restricting policies regarding that

think bone->PC cross-platform is going to be limited to windows 10 and some versions sold on their own services rather than Steam

most devs will likely find that shitty and opt to simply not do it
>>
Street Fighter V will.

Honestly a lot of games just can't really do it. a lot of the big online games that are available across multiple systems are shooters, and you can't have crossplay between PC and console for shooters because of the massive advantage PC users would have. Last FPS to try that was the 360 Shadowrun, and the console users got beaten into the ground.

I think other games generally should and the only reason I can imagine why they don't is that implementation is probably a bitch on the PSN/XBL side of things. But I think it would be worth it to avoid splitting the community. SFV I think will benefit greatly from it on PC in particular, since fighting games on PC tend to have a lifespan problem online.
>>
>>321966976
Warthunder
>>
That Shadowrun (2007) game

like Counter Strike, but more fun
>>
>>321970276
Yeah, i'm sure console players will love PC macros users.
>>
>>321968670
>Because social pressure to make people buy an Xbox one
Nigger you what?
>>
>>321971321
not that you can't do that on console already, you can have your PC masquerade as a DS4 and use macros or any input device

all you need is a regular bluetooth dongle that let you change its BD addr, or a usb adapter for wired
>>
>>321970276
I hope it doesn't have cross play. If you play fighting games in any kind of competitive capacity on a PC you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>321968281
>Implying implying
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.