[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would it feel like to get hit by a magic attack? Not an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 1280x720
What would it feel like to get hit by a magic attack? Not an elemental magic attack, just a pure fucking ball of concentrated magic.

Would it hurt physically? Would it give you major migraines? What would happen and why do magic attacks work on humans/monsters alike?
>>
>>321958972
>Give me a scientific explanation for this stuff that isn't real
>>
It would probably be really fucking hot, and then you would die
>>
As a /tg/ centric person, I always refer to the good ol' magic missile like a bunch of baseballs hitting you at 90mph and then dissolving. Its like a hard packed snowball: it hurts when it hits, even when it breaks apart on you. Leaves a stinging feeling after the blow.
>>
>>321959659
[Citation needed]
>>
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm

Says force damage specifically. Not piercing or slashing. Thus can assume its more like a blunt hit (like a baseball), and since they dont stay around or drop, they must disperse.
>>
It would feel like pain.
>>
>>321959908
autist confirmed
>>
>>321960210
>>321959908
not sure why it didnt link to your post, but there ya go.
>>
File: DOTS.png (266 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
DOTS.png
266 KB, 400x300
It feels exactly like a healing spell, but backwards.
Hope that helps!
>>
Depends on the game. For dark souls it would probably feel like getting fucking smashed with a rock, even more so in dark souls 3 with those new noises. Probably combined with a kind of electric shock feeling as well.
>>
>>321958972
Like getting hit by a bag of sand.
Trust me, I'm a wizard.
>>
I like to think that pure magic attacks fuck with your brain and activate your pain receptors so that you feel pain without actually being physically hit with something.

MagDef usually has to do with an "intelligence" or a "mind" stat, so maybe that's the brains ability to resist being fucked with and therefore you feel less pain than if you had a smaller amount of MagDef
>>
>>321960210

If it's like getting hit by a baseball why can't you avoid that with AC? Why doesn't pummeling DR resist it?
>>
I figure it's an attack on your nerves that feels different depending on the attack.
so something like magic missile feels like a baseball while something like soul arrow feels like getting stabbed.

If it hits and dissipates immediatly, then would magic missile leave a bruise?
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1280x720
>>321958972
More importantly, what does Dark magic feel like?
>>
>>321961470
Dark magic probably feels similar to regular magic except maybe more torturous, i.e. drawn out longer and the pain is more intense. Possibly screws with your mind, too, maybe killing motivation and adding depression/sadness/despair.
>>
>>321961260
If you ever wore armor, you know its not an unmoving impenetrable shield. I have wore full plate and taken a hit, and also Kevlar. Trust me when I say this: They dont stop pain or force, they just stop death. You still get knocked pretty hard and can feel the blow, it just isnt bone shattering.

>>321961468
>>321961470
I always thought these would feel more like a stabbing cold pain. Have you ever cut your bare hand on rough ice in the winter? Something like that, but internal.
>>
>>321961470
More importantly, what does Pyromancy feel like?
>>
File: 1mahnigga.jpg (72 KB, 500x561) Image search: [Google]
1mahnigga.jpg
72 KB, 500x561
>>321961129
That's a good ass theory m8
>>
>>321960445
Surprisingly this.
>>
>>321961470
Maybe instead of feeling like getting hit by a baseball, it feels like internal pain.

So getting hit in the groin feels like passing kidney stones x3.
>>
Fuck, this thread made me think.

I never actually considered what magic must feel like. Just accepted it as a universal thing in games/stories and moved on. I mean that shit must hurt somehow, just in a way we cannot ever imagine because it's not real.

I like
>>321961685
explanation of dark magic. It seems fitting
>>
It feels like Chi/Ki/Qigong.

The sensation is like heat. The opposite of this feeling is like having your blood cut off in your limbs by sleeping in an awkward position. That pin and needles feeling of all your nerves screaming for oxygen.

I had my teacher hit me in the chest with a ki strike once. It was like having the thousand needles feeling in your chest. It was awful.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 600x496) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 600x496
>>321961798
More importantly, what does blood magic feel like?
>>
>>321958972
It would just be energy then wouldn't it?

It would feel like being hit by a shockwave if they're using the air as a medium to carry it, or like being microwaved if they're using it to excite the atoms in your body directly.
>>
>>321961260

The answer is literally because it is magic.
>>
So what would it be like to be hit by a magic infused weapon? Increased pain to the already painful hit? More knockback?
>>
File: is caramel soda a thing.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
is caramel soda a thing.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
What does estus taste like?
And healing potions in games in general
>>
>>321963090
I imagine it would be like getting cut with a blade covered in salt. It would just hurt like shit and sting even more afterwards
>>
>>321963125
Cough syrup and lemon juice.
>>
>>321963125

Tastes like Soma.
>>
>>321961470

Like being hit by acid and a gust of wind, with a vacuum being thrown in for Pursuers/Affinity. The stuff can take the form of toxic gas, officially has more "weight" to it than normal magic, and the ones with eyes are trying to suck out your Humanity (hence the sound they and their independent enemy counterparts make)
>>
File: 100914329[1].jpg (296 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
100914329[1].jpg
296 KB, 800x533
>>321963125
>What does estus taste like?
We already went through this. Warm, spicy (think cinammon, pepper) orange flavoured sweet brew.
>>
I think it would depend on the magic though.

Fire magic, would be like a ball of fire. Not much impact, but it's fucking hot. Thunderbolts shock you.

Air and Water are mostly the pressure.

Ice can cut.

Earth, well, it's literally a rock.

I think Avatar does a good job at showing the effects of each magic element with its bending.

The last one left out is that Etheric magic you often see in other fantasy. Kinda like the spells in LotR and Harry Potter and such.

I would pretty much say it's like impact damage that's really hot, and also causes some mental strain. Dark magic even more so. Kinda like Ki in DBZ or HxH.

It really depends on the magic system tho.
>>
>>321963125

Oh god video games are going to get so much better when smello/tasto-vision comes out
>>
Always assumed it would feel like getting punched with a highly pressurized burst of air.
Kind of like a non existent cannon ball
>>
>>321961470
warm, blunt force trauma.
>>
>>321961260
Because that would mean the party wizard being worse at something than the party fighter, and that's verboten.
>>
>>321963125
Chicken Soup.
>>
>>321964335
In that case, is there any difference between getting hit by a wind magic spell and an arcane magic spell?
>>
>>321963125
Best honey you have tried and warm.
>>
File: vomit.jpg (12 KB, 400x263) Image search: [Google]
vomit.jpg
12 KB, 400x263
>>321964208

>Valley of Defilement with smell-o-vision
>>
>>321958972
Well in final fantasy Magic is more about the control of elements and not some faggot fairy snowball.
>>
Not so much messing with the brain, as messing with the nerves. Being hit by a ball of magic would light up your pain receptors as well as probably doing topical damage similar to that of electricity.
>>
>>321962430
Id imagine having a shit ton of pain that targets your own blood
>>
>>321963125
raw egg yokes
>>
>>321958972
DS int magic at its highest form is usually crystal shards moving at high velocity so I'm guessing it would feel pretty bad.
>>
>>321965858
Oh jesus christ it just gets worse
"eh, would probably smell like swamp"
"wait no theres corpses everywhere"
"oh god all the shit i forgot they dont have toilets here"
"the blood everywhere oh god"
and dont forget
plague babies
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.