[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
Which is better?
>>
New Vegas
>>
Fallout 4 isn't even that good but it's miles ahead of Fallout 3
>>
fallout 4 is playable without mods
>>
Slightly related question:
Why do people pretend to have played the first two?
>>
[Shaun] [Institute?] [Both great] [Enjoy both]
>>
>>321957106
>pretend
But I don't, I never said I did.
>>
>>321957106
Because the arguments against the Bethesda Fallouts often hinge on a notable decline in writing quality and claiming to have played the first two allows you to additionally claim that Fallout 3 and 4 are as good as the first two in that aspect.
>>
4>3>pile of dog shit>new vegas

NV is literally shit tier. Doesnt feel like a fallout game at all, theres no wasteland, the entire atmopshere of the game is just meh.

Plus the entire story line is fucking retarded
>be some random courier
>almost get killed
>survive
>we know nothing about their backstory or family
>Dude randomly trusts his 200 year old plan and robot army to you
>how the fuck did benni not realize you weren't dead he could have just looked at your heart beating
>Caesers legion are literally just hitler nazis with no actual reasoning for their behavior

New Vegas is by far the worst game to be attached to the Fallout franchise. Period.
>>
>>321955862
New Vegas
>>
>>321958264
0/10
>>
2>New Vegas>1>4>3
>>
>>321958551
The entire main story for NV is 0/10. It has no motivation, no reasoning. You are literally just a dude who was supposed to deliver a package. Where the fuck did you come from? Whats motivating you to do what you do? we literally have nothing, all we have is a bunch of random factions that want to do things. Thats not a story.
>>
FO 4 felt a bit more Fallout and the BoS aren't retarded faggots like in FO 3.
>>
File: 1418063082462.gif (2 MB, 352x290) Image search: [Google]
1418063082462.gif
2 MB, 352x290
I finished fallout 3. I can't even play fallout 4. Shit is so boring. It takes all the agency away. No choices nothing. It feels like a singleplayer MMO with shooting mechanics.

How the fuck do people genuinely play fallout 4 and enjoy themselves? It's as boring as they can get. It feels like a fucking ubisoft "open world" game.

At least fallout 3 feels like a RPG-lite. Fallout 4 is not even in the genre. I mean fucking Black ops 2 has more choices and player agency in the story.

HOW THE FUCK IS FALLOUT 4 A ROLE PLAYING GAME??!!!!!
>>
>>321958264
>he could have just looked at your heart beating

excuse me what
>>
>>321958795
Create your own. Really good roleplaying, the point of Role playing games
>>
How do people think 4 is better than 3? Like seriously? 3 may not be great but it was still fun to explore and still had good Fallout mechanics, and still had CHOICES.

4 is fucking T R A S H. No choices, no good exploration, and all the fucking game mechanics got raped for a retarded "MINECRAFT MODE XDDD". Seriously /v/ ? You really think that fucking pile of shit is better than 3?
>>
Fallout 3 was more of an rpg.
>>
File: 1446449465969.jpg (580 KB, 679x1024) Image search: [Google]
1446449465969.jpg
580 KB, 679x1024
new vegas

also 5
>>
new vegas as much as i hate the setting. i never liked deserts.
>>
>>321958795
neo /v/ everyone
>>
>>321959047
>and still had CHOICES.
>I CAN'T TURN OFF THE WATER FLITER! YOU HAVE TO DO IT BECAUSE IT IS YOUR DESTINY
Sorry but FO4 did choice better. There wasn't even a choice in FO 3 other that retarded Pitt DLC
>>
>>321958795
>What is role playing
It was on purpose, in the first Fallouts it's the same. You are just someone who lived a generic life and what matters is what you are going to do next, this way you don't have to care about your father, your son, or whoever and just focus on who you want to be and who you want to support or kill next.

It's a RPG game after all isn't it.
>>
>>321959275
Are you retarded? That's seriously the only major choice you can't really do anything for. 4 doesn't even have fucking choices, it loses by default.
>>
>>
>>321959275
w-well you have Oasis... and ew... freeing or selling slaver I guess... and blowing Megaton or not..
>>
>>321959401
Yeah because telling my son to fuck off so the BoS can take over is totally not a choice, or vice versa with siding my Son, or joining a bunch of fags that think they're freeing slavery. Compare to FO 3 and there none of this at all.
>>
>>321958795
topkek. nice b8
>>
>>321959593
nice try
>>
>>321955862
Did you know that the cover art for both games is the same picture? FO4 just uses its super low fov.
>>
>>321959314
>>321959009
Not the guy but then why does everyone shit on fallout 3? I had a great time roleplaying in that game. Bethesda games suck story wise so I make my own and fallout 3 was perfect for that.
>>
>>321959207
>>321959009
>>321959623
>>321959314

>hurr durr its ok if you dont have a story cuz u just make your own
What kind of cuck excuse is that? thats like saying "oh just take off all your armor if the game is too easy"

No, its the games job to create a story, not you. They should have had some kind of choices for backstory or something with the doc that finds you wear you talk about your past and motivations and life.

If you wanna go play pretend with your headmates then fine, but not having a story just so someone can "rpg" is fucking stupid.

A REAL rpg would let you CHOOSE what your backstory is and incorporate it into the game. NV just literally doesnt have a story. At all. Period.
>>
File: caninecock.jpg (399 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
caninecock.jpg
399 KB, 1920x1080
>>321955862
ISOMETRIC TIER
2 ≥ 1

ACTION TIER
4 >>>>>>>>> NV = 3
>>
>>321959863
Do you know what role playing is? You create your backround, and self insert or create a backstory for a custom character if you want. You dont like DnD or anything like that? they are similiar in idea
>>
>>321959815
I think its the actual story, along with the ties you have to vault 101. NV does a better job of having a "clean slate" with the most flexiable backround
>>
>>321959863
stupid millennial
>>
>>321959815
Because New Vegas recognizes facets of the character you designed, while 3, for the most part, doesn't.

In New Vegas, if you're character has a high medical skill, he can perform lifesaving operations and use their medical knowledge to navigate certain encounters. Fallout 3 doesn't really offer anything like that. It's more like you're playing pretend than you are actually roleplaying.
>>
>>321960043
>You create your backround, an
nope thats choose your own adventure.
>and self insert or create a backstory for a custom character if you wan
still choose your own adventure

>A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which each participant assumes the role of a character, generally in a fantasy or science fiction setting, that can interact within the game's imaginary world.

thats literally it
>>
>>321959207
>Nipple
MODS
>>
>>321960171
Ahh, yes. I remember all the choose your own adventure games I used to play as a lad.

Get fucked
>>
>>321955862
Fallout 3.
>>
If we're excluding mods then 4 without a doubt. 4 may have a lot of issues and deviate from what the series initially felt like even more than 3 but at least it doesn't play like complete ass.
>>
>>321960171
Then isnt, by your definition, EVERY game a RPG?
>>
>>321960167
and based low int dialogue
>>
>>321957106
same reason fags claim they played the last 2
they like to shit post
this is all they have
>>
>>321960517
its not my definition, its literally every dictionary's definition

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/role-playing-game-RPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/27052/role-playing-game-rpg

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/role-playing-game

Im sorry you just dont know what words are, but you are legit confusing RPG with CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE.
>>
File: Think of the children.jpg (8 KB, 56x29) Image search: [Google]
Think of the children.jpg
8 KB, 56x29
>>321960195
You tell 'em anon, this is a christian image board!
>>
Sunset sarsaparilla should be in fallout 4. It's like 150 years older than nuka cola and still being produced. Bethesda is just too proud to include stuff from new vegas
>>
>>321960043
Would you say that the Witcher isn't a role-playing game?
>>
>>321960710
ok thats fine

you didnt answer my question
>>
>>321960983

>Bethesda is just too lazy to include stuff from new vegas

ftfy
>>
>>321961014
you got me man
>>
>>321960710
Then dictionaries have soemthing off then.

In their definition. every fucking game is an RPG.

Meanwhile, the definition most people have came up with is that it is a game where you are allowed to make choices impacting on the story or how your character fits into the world through a levelling system and stats. That is why some people consider JRPGs not RPGs.
>>
Fallout 3 is a bad attempt at modernizing Fallout. Resulting in a shitty Oblivion clone.
Fallout 4 is Bethesda just saying "fuck it" and making Skyrim with guns.

Fallout 4 is a better piece of software. But Fallout 3 is a better Fallout. They still both suck compared to 1, 2 and NV.
>>
File: (You).jpg (49 KB, 672x492) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
49 KB, 672x492
>>321958264
>>
>>321960043
>>321960171
For starters RPG was built around playing a class and race
The background shit was made by the DM.
It wasn't till the late 90s we saw a serious push for player created PC in both paper pencil and video game RPGs
By it's core an RPG requires:
a leveling system
modifiable stats/build capabilities
NPC interactions(and that can be as basic as "fetch me X")
and "dungeons"
Everything else is just a mess of what the player expects in their experience of RPGs
Video games are getting very hairy with what counts and doesn't because now everything has a leveling system and that alone puts things in a haze of where that line between RPG and other game types.
>>
>>321960171
I have never read a single choose your own adventure story in which I was able to pick my background or make my own character. What you're describing as an RPG more accurately fits that description.

>A role-playing game (RPG) is a game in which each participant assumes the role of a character, generally in a fantasy or science fiction setting, that can interact within the game's imaginary world.

Is there any rule that says this character has to be rigidly defined or that it can't be one you created?

Please try harder you fucking nematode.
>>
>>321961327
Fallout 3 is a better fallout only in the strictest literal sense of having the most Fallout-y crap and mechanics.

As far as capturing the spirit and tone of the originals it's basically the farthest thing from Fallout in existence. For as much as 4 sucks ass, it didn't simultaneously ruin super mutants, the BoS, and the Enclave in its quest for total iconic saturation.
>>
>>321961756
Fallout 3 at least understood that choices have consequences. Poorly done, but at least it was there.
>>
File: RUu0oiB.png (13 KB, 313x339) Image search: [Google]
RUu0oiB.png
13 KB, 313x339
>>321961327
>. But Fallout 3 is a better Fallout
Sorry but I have to disagree. All they did is take anything that is Fallouty and dump it into a bowl while repainting the Oblivion landscape
>>
>>321962001
I never got that impression from Fallout 3. No matter what I did I was still helping my Liam Neeson dad build a water purifier. At least with 4 there were different end goals to choose from, even if they did amount to practically the same thing.
>>
>>321962249
Side quest content. Like Megaton and... umm? Give me a few minutes and I might be able to think of more examples.
>>
>>321961327
I really don't understand how one can put New Vegas on a pedastal, but then go on to completely disregard fallout 3 and 4. I mean sure you can say new Vegas is better and completely valid, but at all 3 of their cores, the gameplay is the same and the way the game is set up is the same.
>>
>>321955862
Your thoughts?
>>
>>321963041
Because the set up for Fallout 3 is great. It's just the details that completely miss the mark.
New Vegas is literally "What if Fallout 3 was good?": The Game
>>
>>321960983
Bethesda is pissed off because Obsidian made a better game then them.
>>
Does anyone have a character creating chart for 4? Preferably one based on post numbers
>>
>>321963508
>Fallout 4
>character builds meaning anything at all
>>
>>321961014
not OP but It sort of is i guess
>>
File: 1440568344468.png (2 MB, 1779x889) Image search: [Google]
1440568344468.png
2 MB, 1779x889
Just a reminder that NV has shit atmosphere and F3 is infinitely better for simple exploring.
>>
File: Mick Nutty.gif (2 MB, 240x206) Image search: [Google]
Mick Nutty.gif
2 MB, 240x206
>>321964954
Trust 3 apologists to think that one example is the entire argument.
>>
>>321964954
NV arguably has the better atmosphere
>>
File: 1447018860783.jpg (1 MB, 1224x1088) Image search: [Google]
1447018860783.jpg
1 MB, 1224x1088
>>321965361
>arguably
4 has an arguable higher numerical value than 3.
>>
reminder that the middle and most of the east and west edge parts of NV was unexplored due to mountains
at least i can remember what and where everything was
the companions had their quests and dialogue choices that made them feel more real and the shandification was cool

reminder that most of 3's city was green knocked over buildings and subways and had shit ironsights
the rest of the map was uninteresting wastland.

4 has this odd feeling about it where i know i should be doing more settlement quests but i only want to biuld sanctuary. the map is a nice gradient where the more south east you go the more dense the map becomes with things you can actualy explore and exploring is in it's own right rewarding beond loot

remember the H&H tool company in NV? remember how if you checked the computers on the way up you will find a story of a boss who's going crazy eventual leading up to his office?
remember the vault where you learn through audiologs that being the overseer sucks?
that shit is shandification and it's in every nook and cranny of 4.

state house
>bathrooms stink and need renovation. maintanance man complains about how they are just putting band aids on it and it'll all fall apart
>deputy mayor is a drunk and becomes mayor after shit goes down

huberus comics
>writer complains about tv broadcast being tropy
>eventually leads to selling out hard

libary
>man struggles to defend biulding against supermutents
>keeping his employees from abandoning by convincing them that knowlage must survive

some complaints on 4
>godamn shopkeeping bug where i want to barter but can only trade the free inventory
>zfigting is abundant
>i can already see the part where i can make a save and complete all 3 factions of the main quest
>i literally laid cait by being naked, drinking whiskey fast traveling and repeating
>cant sprint in workshop mode. shift actually halts you
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.