[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 800x414) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 800x414
What went wrong?
>>
>>321947150
1) Project started in Source engine but then was scrapped and moved to their own engine called "Spark" which sucks ass.

2) A lot of the complexity and asymmetry of the first game was scrapped in favor of designing the game to be friendlier for e-sports.
>>
>>321947150
CONCEDE
CONCEDE
CONCEDE
CONCEDE
CONCEDE
CONCEDE
>>
The engine sucked ass.
The dev team could barely balance gameplay and would lose it between patches
The went SJW and cared more about Fem marines than balance
The engine sucked ass
The kept removing good stuff
Did I mention the engine sucked ass, cause it sucked ass for a game that looked passable. Crysis 2 looked way better.
>>
Poor balance in the beginning which meant Marines had to play perfectly the entire game while the aliens simply had to wait until somebody got an Onus mid game. Also hitscan being buggy turned a bunch of people off.

I had a lot of fun with the game, but I have never been more mad at a videogame as I was when playing the Marine commander. Watching 4 people die to a single skulk, even when feeding them health was painful.
>>
As mentioned before, game sucked major ass. Also, it wasn't that fun. You never really felt like a marine fighting aliens or alines defending territory from invading humans, it started to feel just like a random game.

I don't know if I expressed myself well. I went into the game hoping to go forth with a squad wary of any nooks and cranies, but then the match starts and you just follow a squad around shooting things in well lit places.
>>
>>660220174
I could literally talk about what went wrong with NS2 for hours, hell I've talked about it to myself dozens of dozens of times

One of the number one reasons though is the learning curve, which unfortunately REALLY turned a lot of new player away, not so much in the learning curve itself but, more like the limited in game tutorials that just taught the ABSOLUTE basics, and your average gamer/consumer etc (keyword being "average") in most cases sadly won't go actively seek out resources online that can and will help them learn the game even more.
>>
>>321948029
This is pretty much it. I would also add that the kommander was a really bad idea for the aliens.

I remember when the grenade launcher was an attachment in NS2 for the rifle, but people complained it wasn't balanced so they scrapped it entirely without trying to work it out, and put in the NS1 grenade launcher with the NS1 skin.
>>
>>321948778
Onto of that, the Rookie system was a good concept, but a fucking disaster in reality. First, although rookie servers were available, many of which (note,there are servers now that enforce gameplay hour limits, so rooks can't join certain nonrookie servers which is great) around the time NS2 went on sale, had no gameplay hour limit, so as a result, you'd get NS veterans joining rookie servers just to pubstomp back and forth, and then you had rookies who would ignore the games advice and immediately join nonrookie servers, only to get crushed or yelled at by their teammates by not knowing how to do X or Y. Also, rookies immediately hopping into the comm chair, complete and utter mess when that happens, and I was one of the ones who would try to help rookie commanders but, many of them often would not listen and just do whatever the hell
>>
>>321949484
Also, I never liked the dual rail gun exosuits and three grenade types, what the fuck UW.
>>
>>321948132
How buggy? As buggy as the time the Onus used the Skulk hitbox, for three patches, before they managed to fix it in NS1?

I didn't jump on NS2 specifically because I knew how bad NS1's bugs were, and I'd seen fun shit get phased out and reshuffled to the point that the game wasn't fun anymore.

So, it's not surprising to me that a mediocre modding team trying to make a full game on a custom engine flopped as hard as they did.
>>
>>321947150
Lua interpreter added Lua lag on top of network lag on top of graphics lag. For a long time, you could fire at a wall, and the bullet puffs would appear like 200ms later. This was purely as a result of the Lua lag, not even network lag. An unforgiveable and unworkable approach that took FOREVER to fix.

Game is based on extremely fast moving aliens, but with the aforementioned lag, it was impossible to shoot them. Fades were basically invulnerable for the entire time I played NS2.

Obtuse game design, you have to know everything about the game AND every map. Commander system is terrible and doesn't work, if you have a bad commander or no commander you cannot even play and automatically lose.

Games never had momentum, just seemed to drag out forever and then one team accidentally wins.

Asymmetrical team design just doesn't work when everything isn't executed near-flawlessly.

I backed the game, and gave it a million chances, but it was just shit. Always shit. Poor performance, Lua lag, bad game design.
>>
>>321948029
>The kept removing good stuff
I haven't played this since shortly after it came out. What's been removed?
>>
>>321950363
Fucking this too, the engine being coded in LUA as well meant God help you if you tried playing this game with a subpar CPU....
>>
>>321947150
Nothing, but it's an easy target for trash talking because the learning curve is steep and the player base is small.
>>
>>321950764
Only the game logic is in Lua, and that barely matters since LuaJIT compiles to native code.

The perf issues at launch have been fixed for years now
>>
>>321951184
>The perf issues at launch have been fixed for years now

They took over a year to fix, and it killed the game.

It was a stupid idea. Nobody even ever licensed their shitty engine.
>>
Reading these reminds me of why the video game community is bad inherently. Gamers generally refuse to give anything a second try. Disappointing, considering how nice it actually is now. It's too bad, because this isn't the only gem of a game that's been fixed post release.
>>
>>321951662
>Disappointing, considering how nice it actually is now

the community, what tiny bit of it there ever was, is gone. the game died because the devs didn't do a good enough job. it has nothing to do with "gamers" other than the fact that they move on from shit that sucks.

a game that never lived to have a community can barely be considered a "gem"
>>
>>321952484
Is gone? I can go find a game with the same players today that I did a year ago. It has averaged 200~300 players for like 2 years now. It is one of the few games you can say has it's own community desu.
>>
>>321947150
nothing
>>
>>321951662
I gave it a solid 2nd and third try, but everytime i would hop into a server i had veteran yelling at me and any other new players, often saying how new players were completely useless and shouldnt be allowed to play at all.

I genuinely tried to learn the game, but if the veterans didnt care enough to be civil and help the new players, why would anyone else care about learning the game?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.