[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: "Is this worth getting?" Feel free to ask about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: Styx-Review.jpg (160 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Styx-Review.jpg
160 KB, 1920x1080
ITT: "Is this worth getting?"
Feel free to ask about any game

I just bought Thief Gold and I'm having fun with that game. Does this game do stealth really well or is it MGSV tier of "get seen=enter a firefight that's barely a challenge"
>>
self bump
>>
Styx is fun, proper stealth.
>>
>"get seen=enter a firefight that's barely a challenge"
Styx is "get seen=get stuck in shitty QTE combat that you can't escape and fucks you to death if there's more than one guard around". Which may be a good or a bad thing, depends on how you like your stealth.
>>
>>321908084
It's a good thing, makes you want to avoid combat
>>
File: 1444756958888.jpg (68 KB, 1437x960) Image search: [Google]
1444756958888.jpg
68 KB, 1437x960
>>321908084
I'd like to play as a guy that's a "Master of Shadows" than some overpowered protag that just gets away with failure like Dishonored
>>
>>321907294
Styx is proper steath, I just play on Goblin so I don't have to deal with the combat

it does shadows differently than other stealth games, hiding inside shadows does make you invisible, it only makes you harder to see, so a guard WILL see you if he passes a few feet from you while in a shadow

also God-tier level design
>>
Its a hard game, just pretend QTEs mean game over and don't even attempt to beat them and youre good.
>>
>>321908656
*hiding inside shadows does not make you invisible
>>
Is the level design actually good? Im interested if it has some really great levels like Thief
>>
>>321908465
I suppose. Call me casual, but I prefer being able to at least escape combat, or at least have a small chance of winning against two or three guards if you're cunning enough. In Styx you're stuck in place if a guard is anywhere near you once you're seen and you'll persistently take damage from any other guards that happen to be around. It's a nice sprawling game that encourages a nice variety of approaches to sneak around, but I found it very annoying after a while. The levels with which were essentially just corridors filled with guards and almost no means of sneaking around were just a chore, to be honest.
>>
>>321907294
I got it yesterday due to some /v/ threads. Pretty buzzword for the first few hours. If it keeps being good I'll buy it and complete all the maps (tokes, no-killing etc).
>>
>>321908891
It very vertical, and you always have at least two possible approach, so it's good.
But I prefer warn you, I find the frustratingly difficult (maybe I just suck)
>>
>>321908891
levels are huge and are divided into 4 sections, each of which is basically a single level in itsel, each section has 10 collectible coins that you need to explore every single nook and cranny to find
>>
I might be wrong, I've only played 3 missions but so far my moto is 'there's always an easier way', uusually that way involves going up
>>
>>321907294
More importantly. What did you guys think of the ending? I fucking loved it
>>
>>321909654
Shitty boss fight, alright ending story-wise
>>
Vermintide, is it worth just over $25? Looks worth.
>>
>>321909654
I haven't finished but the setting is really interesting

>humans and elves have allience, but still hate the shit out of each other
>steampunk light but more medieval fantasy
>elves are alien looking motherfuckers
>everything to do with the Tree
>>
File: inigo-montoya.jpg (13 KB, 330x282) Image search: [Google]
inigo-montoya.jpg
13 KB, 330x282
>>321909931
>steampunk
>>
>>321907294
Do not buy this game.
>>
>>321910018
theres fucking airships and pipes everywhere
>>
>>321910102
"Steampunk" itself is memeword, but you need more useless overdesigned shit to call it steampunk.
>>
>>321907294
I just finished it and it's very worth it if you love Thief. Combat is barely possible, if its one or two you MIGHT get away with it but generally combat equals death. The highest difficulty makes enemies instant kill you if that helps you judge.
It's a little rough around the edges and suffers from reuse of environments near the end but if Thief and Dishonored are your thing, you'll enjoy it a lot.
>>
>>321908465
Honestly, I'd rather the game just kill you automatically if you're caught.

Like, I think most players and developers have the totally wrong idea about stealth games. They're not action, they're puzzles. Every room is a new challenge to avoid enemies and/or take them out efficiently. But if you fuck up, then you fuck up. You gotta start the puzzle over. Being able to fight your way out of detection in a stealth game is like solving a rubix cube by smashing the thing and putting the pieces back in the right order. Sure, you "solved" it, but you missed the point.

Just take out combat. It's not important. It's not the purpose of a stealth game, it's just a built in cheating mechanism.
>>
>>321909891
It lasted me 120 hours before I got burnt out.
But I found a nice group of people who were willing to keep playing and playing at the hardest difficulties.
I reckon that the number of rooms is smaller than it used to be on launch.

On Warhammer, is Mordheim any good? The interface seems awfully bad for a PC game and I've heard that it has load times when generating levels that make PS1 games look good.
>>
>>321909931
It's the same setting as "Of Orcs And Men", which I have not played but apparently has Styx in it, and MoS is a prequel to it. I can't wait for SoD, to be honest, sequels that fix the obvious flaws and improve on what was already great are the best sequels.
>>
>>321910404
>Honestly, I'd rather the game just kill you automatically if you're caught.

it does on the highest difficulty.
>>
>>321907294
was wondering about this too, i like stealth and playing as a gobbulynn looks fun
>>
I have a few games I'm not sure whether I should buy them or not:
Jotun, Reveal the Deep, Darkest Dungeon, Monaco (I'd buy the 4-pack to play with friends) and Crea. Any of these that are definitely worth buying, I got 20 to spend max.
>>
>>321910404
Hmm. There's an idea:
>You are an insane asylum patient.
>You are in a straight jacket.
>Escape without ever using your arms.
>After you escape, you receive a reward and then wake up in your cell again.
>The layout is changed, the whole thing has changed and warped slightly, but you now have a new tool/ability Psychic or not, no idea.
>This repeats for a couple cycles, some runs throughs not even giving you a reward after a while, maybe some game art or something.
>It gets harder and more complex and darker, dingy, and evil, visibly reverting from a clean asylum to what is essentially a medieval super fortress
>Final level, you get your arms back and can actually kill shit if you feel like it.
>You finally escape for the final time.
>"You unlocked the Community Challenge section! Go visit the workshop and download some custom levels!"
>>
>>321911247
>definitely worth buying
If you know you can get your group to play, Monaco is ideal for hours of 4 player fun, not including Custom levels.
Darkest Dungeon is an amazing party management game, I'd recommend it.
No idea on the other 3.
>>
Can anyone comment on pillars of eternity or wasteland 2? I've wanted to get both for different reasons, wasteland 2 because I'm pretty underwhelmed with fo4 and pillars because the game seems very story oriented, which I'm craving atm
>>
>>321911305
Sounds like the concept for a cheap horror game, to be honest. Can't say I like the idea of stealth inside just one building, anyway.
>>
>>321911446
I can get them to play for sure, we're mainly playing Terraria right now but we're looking for something new. I'll take a better look at Darkest Dungeon and decide whether it's a fitting game for me or not. Thank you anon.
>>
File: Download.png (174 KB, 616x353) Image search: [Google]
Download.png
174 KB, 616x353
Anyone know about this game? It got damn good reviews on steam, and I need something to keep me busy on my laptop for a few more days.
>>
>>321911305
Seems pretentious and edgy.

Guess you can make dosh viralling it in reddit. Make a kikestarted and you don't even need to make the game!
>>
>>321911805
Then yeah, they'd probably like Monaco. It's top down stealth, but you can go loud if you want, it just requires some... finesse.
And you have a pretty big cast of characters to go wild with.
>>
>>321911929
Best Super Metroid since Super Metroid
>>
>>321910404
Play on the highest difficulty
>>
Razorfist likes it, I think that will help you decide
>>
>>321911706
I won pillars of eternity off a giveaway. I think if you can stand isometric games it's kinda good, but i somehow couldn't really get into it. played for 15 hours or so before quitting and it didn't feel like i even got really started with the game. so you might get quite so content out of it. Just make sure you like it.
>>
>>321911929
So long as you are okay with some of the most infuriating bosses in a game, it's Super Metroid reborn.

Seriously, don't make my mistake and play the game on Hard your first time.
>>
is this any good
>>
>>321912223
how much playtime can i expect from 1 playthrough?
>>
>>321912347
Pretty underated action game, but it's clearly unfinished. It's not the most sophisticated combat, but it's pretty fun nonetheless.
>>
>>321910404
Stealth games are the opposite of puzzle games on fundamental level. Puzzles are rigid abstractions, whereas stealth is deeply rooted in simulating reality. You'd be throwing away any setting's internal consistency by having such contrived fail states, as well as reducing the variety of solutions and tools a great deal.
>>
>>321913081
This. Puzzles have a limited number of answers, well within a rational number, whereas real life scenarios/alternate reality scenarios are supposed to have seemingly infinite possibilities.
>>
File: styx stealth.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
styx stealth.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>>321907294
Last decent stealth game to have been released in recent years
>>
>>321910404
Master Spy is exactly that.
>>
>>321912419
Depends on how much you explore and whether you get stuck or not. I think I got about 11 hours on normal with ~75% items found.
>>
>>321907294

has some of hte best and worst stealth gameplay of all time
>>
>>321910632
MoS was such a great game in my opinion, great stealth and dis-incentivized combat with amazing levels and rather well-hidden collectibles. The tools at Styx' disposal are also powerful but appropriately so. And I wasn't even aware of the sequel being made, thanks for that.
>>
>>321913081

This is better way of looking at it. Metal Gear games, despite having some pretty shallow stealth, are a good example. You can fight your way through encounters, but it's messy, time consuming, and if you develop a deeper appreciation for being an operator, you get mad that you fucked up so that you may end up reverting to a previous save to try again.

And if you feel like being a psychotic, murdering fuckface, you still have the option of a bloodbath playthrough.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.