[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Japan make so few first person shooters? I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: doomguy32_FERDIG.jpg (1 MB, 2415x2195) Image search: [Google]
doomguy32_FERDIG.jpg
1 MB, 2415x2195
Why does Japan make so few first person shooters? I can't even name one.
>>
They're too busy touching virtual little girls
>>
>>321885882
from what I've heard, they just aren't very popular over there. Japs prefer 3rd person view.
>>
>Vanquish
3rd person is better.
>>
>>321885882

Godly taste.
>>
File: Binary-Domain-PS31.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Binary-Domain-PS31.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Toshihiro Nagoshi said in an interview about Binary Domain that Japanese developers have never gotten into making first person shooters because Western developers got too good at making them. Apparently he see's them as "our thing" and any attempts at the genre from Japan would just feel derivative or inferior.

I find it kind of interesting.
>>
>>321886879
They couldn't possibly hope to match our classics, like Doom, Duke, Hexen, Unreal, Quake 3, or Return to Castle Wolfenstein, so why bother? Maybe if they started early but the whole genre has gone to shit roughly a decade ago, they completely missed the bus.
>>
>>321886879
Binary Domain was fucking awesome
It's so sad it got passed as a "Gears of War"-clone
>>
>>321886879

I think Resident Evil 6 is a good example of what Toshihiro Nagoshi is talking about. Dragon's Dogma is similar in its take on "open world".
>>
>>321887383
Shooting scrapheads was satisfying as fuck
>>
>>321887070
Yeah, I assume he means the classics of the genre. It's practically a different genre now. Modern shooters bear no resemblance to the classics and are made for a whole different audience.

On the topic of Japan, if there's one thing I wish Western games would learn from Japanese games it would be to not have disdain for people who actually play games and to stop building your games to appeal to non-gamers.
>>
File: 33479227_p0.png (2 MB, 992x953) Image search: [Google]
33479227_p0.png
2 MB, 992x953
PC games mostly popularized the genre and most of japan doesn't play PC games save for like the touhous and indie projects and rpgmaker projects.
Some did play Doom and Heretic or Hexen but thats a minority
>>
File: 378589236.jpg (103 KB, 1017x786) Image search: [Google]
378589236.jpg
103 KB, 1017x786
>>321887914
>Hexen had an official Japanese dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhREiu1PLlA
>>
>>321887617
DD is weird. As much as I love it for it's combat, almost every other aspect of it just feels off in some way.

It was Japan's attempt at a Western RPG, and it has this uncanny valley feel to it. Like I know what it's trying to be, but it never gets close enough for me to really feel like it is one.

Still a great game.
>>
File: some tumblr filename.png (478 KB, 500x471) Image search: [Google]
some tumblr filename.png
478 KB, 500x471
>>321885882
Japan isn't really into shooters. Do CODs and the like sell weirdly well over there(for the Japanese market, considering)? Yes. But that's mostly to expats from other Asian countries and Americans. There are quite a few mangaka of note that are into shooters. This one writer talks about playing Gears of War a lot. I was reading this one comic about lesbian schoolgirls and the afterword was just the writer/artist talking about how much she's gotten into FPS games.

So then, considering the vast majority of Japanese developers pretty much only design with the Japanese audience in mind, it's kind of a self-repeating cycle.

They make a few third person shooters. Vanquish, Binary Domain, KI:U if you want to count it as one, all excellent in a world when it was just Gears clones and Uncharted-likes with cinematic platforming and flaccid shooting.

But then again, none of those really spawned franchises.

To top that off, Japan was moving away from consoles as FPSs supplanted platformers as the most ubiquitous genre, especially come 7th gen. Not a lot of shooters on handhelds. Even less worth talking about.

They do have light gun games, whatwith the arcade scene still being really strong out east.
>>
>>321885882
OUTTRIGGER, AM2 arcade/dreamcast with online 6 player and mouse & keyboard support cant name one since however
>>
>>321890569
basically japanese quake 3
>>
>>321885882

Because the west has got it covered both in terms of good and bad FPS games.
>>
File: Coded_Arms_cover_art.jpg (67 KB, 250x438) Image search: [Google]
Coded_Arms_cover_art.jpg
67 KB, 250x438
>ctrl+f coded arms
>0
>>
File: 1450950616112.jpg (217 KB, 824x970) Image search: [Google]
1450950616112.jpg
217 KB, 824x970
>>321888643
I hear there are quite a few Japanese Warframe fans, though.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.