[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is patience a virtue or a sign of bad video game design?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: s20oyyG.jpg (397 KB, 1350x1631) Image search: [Google]
s20oyyG.jpg
397 KB, 1350x1631
Is patience a virtue or a sign of bad video game design?
>>
THATS A MAN BABY.
>>
>>321784635
>have to stop, take a look, wait a couple of seconds, and proceed
Virtue.
>have to wait for 30 seconds to have a shot at proceeding, and maybe repeating
Bad design.
>>
Depends. Testing patience can be fucking horrible.
For instance, in games like Thief and Dishonored, creeping around and waiting for the moment to strike is amazing.
But in shit like Dark Souls 2, so many of the fights drag on for so long because of massive health bars and multiple damagesponge enemies, that most people end up dying because they try to do something fun instead of the same repetitive swing and backstep.
>>
>>321784928
Funny you mention Dishonored because taking an unskippable boat ride every time you go on a mission is bad design.
>>
>>321785046
>unskippable boat ride

Think Witcher 1, unskippable boat ride to the worst area in the game, and you have to take it multiple times unless you already know the game and power through it.
>>
>>321785046
I played the whole thing over the last four days and replayed most of it following that. The only time it was ever bad was after the betrayal, where you have to float down river and get captured.
>>
File: dedede bored.png (93 KB, 480x430) Image search: [Google]
dedede bored.png
93 KB, 480x430
>>321784635
rewarding patience is fine in tactical stuff like Rainbow six seige. But too many games reward patience as if it is skill. One example of this is dark souls. Waiting 5 seconds for an enemy to attack, blocking the attack since you've been holding L1 the entire time, then countering with your own attack, takes patience, not skill. Yet people convince themselves that this is actually skill, and if you can't be arsed to wait 5 seconds every time you want to hit your enemy, you're just bad. Overall, rewarding patience is normally just bad game design
>>
>>321785273
>I put endless hours into doing repetitive shit and it wasn't boring in the slightest
>>
>>321785392
If you don't want to wait to hit your enemy, then don't wait. I don't understand this complaint.
>>
>>321785487
It was only 13 hours, and it wasn't very repetitive. Each mission was pretty unique.
>>
>>321785392
That's not patience, that's positioning and it's the best design you can have in a real time action game. Total Annihilation did this, Dota does this, Souls games do it.
>>
>>321785537
>then don't wait
yes. that is an option, but you will probably get punished for it. If I get into a fight with a basic enemy, and attack first. The enemy will either block me, and counter, or attack at the same time, resulting in a trade. (and taking any hits what so ever in dark souls is losing a significant chunk of your health). Rarely will you be able to attack first without getting punished,
>>321785587
>that's not patience, that's positioning
ok. I stand there, hit r3 to lock onto my enemy, and hold block. The camera follows the enemy for me, and my character will turn to always be facing that enemy. This takes all thought about positioning out of the equation.
>>
>>321785587
>positioning
>in a series with lock-on
This is specifically why games like Monster Hunter don't have that.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.