[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathologic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 28
File: 18-kday07_0500.jpg (133 KB, 726x580) Image search: [Google]
18-kday07_0500.jpg
133 KB, 726x580
How about a Pathologic thread?
I am on day 7 of the Bachelor and I am liking this game. What did you think about it?

Also, a question. For the first time one of the important characters has fallen ill, but she is not on the list of my bound people. Is there any point in giving her the shmowders and saving her, or should I keep them in case one of the people on my list gets sick? Are there even different endings? Are they only affected by the people in your bound list?
>>
File: pathologic info.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pathologic info.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>
File: pathologic info.png (2 MB, 1900x2091) Image search: [Google]
pathologic info.png
2 MB, 1900x2091
Just posting some info pics I got from here
>>
There was a nice thread that reached cap last time I saw people talking about this on /v/.
>>
>>321756890
Unless you fuck up daily quests your bound don't get sick
If you heal other MCs bounds they might get sick again and bound can't die from infection so its better to save the for day 12 and just use antibiotics if you need to tal with them, but at day 11 check if Grace is sick before you start the Bachelor daily quest and if she is sick heal her or you will be beyond fucked for that day

If you heal all the bounds for another MC you get a meta scene at the polyhedron at day 12, and if all bound all healthy at day 12 you get another meta scene at the theatre

During a sidequest the owner of the pub will leave (I think it's at day 7), if you call the NPCs that appeared on the pub cowards they will give you a rifle each, and since you need 5 rifles for an upcoming daily quest you should do it
>>
>>321757994
>>321756890
*save the powders for day 12
>>
>>321757994
>>321758139
Thanks. Is there supposed to be a way to get shmowders outside quests? Like some enemies dropping them or looting them out of some houses?
>>
File: pathoguide.png (2 MB, 1900x2151) Image search: [Google]
pathoguide.png
2 MB, 1900x2151
>>321757608
Slightly updated from that version.
>>
>>321758237
Little girls trade them for the price of 10, so you can save up 10 needles and lockpick a house until you find a little girl, and since their inventory changes once you leave the house you can just leave and enter until a powder spawns
But it's not worth it since you will start getting panaceas that Haruspex made from quests after day 6, and usually only 6 people get sick by the end of the game
You will get some powders as Haruspex if you decide to kill teenagers during your sidequests
>>
>>321756890
I think it's a really raw, mechanically weak game that promises more than it actually delivers, both in presentation, story and mystique.

But it was a true survival experience that could get very intense and grueling at times, one of the best since Robinson's Requiem. I just wish it was more polished and varied gameplaywise.
>>
File: A DUHD.jpg (12 KB, 329x289) Image search: [Google]
A DUHD.jpg
12 KB, 329x289
This is the most depressing, grey, demential, and ill looking game i have ever played, fever nightmare tier.
I literally had to drop this halfway trough because i was getting physically sick and the fact that the day when i played this was grey and cloudy didn't help either.
>>
how about you ruskies stop shilling this old crap and make a new one already?
>>
>>321756890
One of your bound dies at day 7 and there is nothing you can do about it so don't worry
Vlad Jr is also Bachelor's bound even if the game doesn't tell you

>>321759178
This was the first game they made and now that they have the experience and the funds the remake could be a really good game
>>
>>321759451
Do we know anything about the remake?
>>
File: 1442981363518.jpg (21 KB, 604x440) Image search: [Google]
1442981363518.jpg
21 KB, 604x440
>>321759283
>mfw playing this in poland
>>
File: vlad-olgimsky-foto.jpg (13 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
vlad-olgimsky-foto.jpg
13 KB, 200x200
Many a mickle makes a muckle
>>
File: pathologicmeme0.jpg (190 KB, 513x399) Image search: [Google]
pathologicmeme0.jpg
190 KB, 513x399
>>321759178
Gameplay-wise, I agree though I would point out that as flawed as the gameplay is, it still compliments the narrative better than most games tend.
I would strongly disagree on the game underachieving on the narrative side of things. It's easily the best narrative ever featured in a game, both in forms of storytelling, and the content told. Could it be better? Yeah. Is it still the best that you can find? I'd argue it is.

>>321759978
>Do we know anything about the remake?
Almost nothing and annoyingly enough, Icepick Lodge finally gave in and decided to fuck the updates entirely, so we haven't heard any fucking news since the release of HD version of the original.

We know it's supposed to run in Unity, should be true to the original in spirit rather than the actual content, should be about 1/3 larger than the original, and that they are considering some form of quicktravel that would not break the game. That is roughly it.

>>321759283
Stay the hell away from their other two relevant games (The Void, Knock-Knock) then. They are as bad, if not worse.
Knock-Knock is notorious for inducing nightmares and panic attacks to more neurotically inclined people. The Void is a game literally about enui and the futility of life. Actually, correction: The Void IS enui and existential dread.

Pathologic is dark and bleak as fuck, but I'd still say in terms of overall heaviness of the narrative, it's their tamer title.
>>
>>321760632
Not really, it never reaches the narrative of Legacy of Kain, Planescape Torment or anything of that caliber. But it tries, I'll give you that.
>>
>>321760632
I recently finished Knock-Knock
How wrong am I if I think that the forest represents the outside world and the monsters the lodger's fears of the outside world and leaving his "house"(becoming more social)
Am I looking too deep into the game?
>>
>>321760984
I'm sorry, but as much as I enjoy those games, they are pretty much shallow compared to Pathologic. UNQUESTIONALBY in the actual narrative methods, and I would not for a second hesitate to argue than also in quality and relevance of the tackled themes, depth of characters and many other aspects.

Legacy of Kain is an overconvoluted mess existing for the sake of over convolution - it's a hell of a lot fun to untangle, but none of it actually means anything. And Planescape is metaphysics 101 - it's appeal lies in the really snappy writing, but the ideas that it presents are relatively superficial. Both Planescape and Legacy are still fantasy, they still suffer the limitation of a speculative nature of the genre.
Pathologic is magical realism - it's not speculative in nature, and that alone puts it quite far ahead of the two. And that is before we even get into how the game tackles the issue of player perspective and player agency, something that neither Kain nor Planescape really even explore.
>>
>>321761028
I haven't finished it. Mostly because of the nightmares and panics. I plan to do it... eventually.
>>
>>321761395
I liked the MC and I remember thinking like him during some sleepless nights but I didn't really find the game scary
It was easy and the gameplay didn't change in any way except with the stupid addition of a time limit at the end
Game could have been really good but ended up as wasted potential with another meta ending like pathologic
At least its one of the few games with a scientist/rational MC
>>
File: pathologic+-+the+end.jpg (149 KB, 1066x800) Image search: [Google]
pathologic+-+the+end.jpg
149 KB, 1066x800
haha
>>
File: 17.jpg (31 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
31 KB, 800x600
lol
>>
File: Game 2015-11-08 06-35-03-19.jpg (192 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Game 2015-11-08 06-35-03-19.jpg
192 KB, 1920x1080
I can't accept this ending
>>
>>321761340
It's actually not convoluted at all, that's a typical statement by someone who didn't understand the plot in detail, and it does mean everything to its own world.

Having unconventional narrative methods and storytelling is fine but doesn't really warrant a great story by itself, especially with the highly unexpected twist in Pathologic which, while being a nice commentary on this particular form itself, seems like a shortcut to answering all of the looming, overwhelming questions the game poses.

Pathologic is VERY speculative until the last few days when everything becomes blatantly clear. In fact it does a great job of creating both plot and audiovisual mystique, it raises the stakes so high it could never warrant such a high payoff. But again, I admire it for trying

The former two are fantasy sure but have their own strict rules and limitations in order to not let things get out of hand and realize their potential to its fullest
>>
>>321762031
I still don't understand who made this thing and does it have any connection with the Changeling, when player facing it, it just acting like a wild animal, but judging from how town folks talk about it, this thing could change its form and even speaking.
>>
File: IPEjES-eRHk.jpg (33 KB, 604x320) Image search: [Google]
IPEjES-eRHk.jpg
33 KB, 604x320
>>321762065
>struggle like a motherfucker to solve the dilemma as Artemiy and Daniil
>Devotress "lel miracles" Clara saves everyone at the price of a few faggots no one was gonna miss anyway

JUST
>>
>>321762231
The Steppe made this thing
It's a manifestation.
>>
>>321762245
But in the end she becomes the loli waifu of general Stalin, and would use his army to engage a holy crusade, against what I don't know.
>>
>>321762323
Russian steppe is sure creepy as fuck.
>>
>>321761883
>but I didn't really find the game scary
Neither did I. That's the terrifying part. I did not find the game scary when playing. I did find myself with a textbook symptoms of a panic attack when I stopped playing for a while a take a smoke break. The point of Knock-Knock is not to scare the player, but to make him profoundly uneasy on a level he isn't even clearly aware off.
I can't say much for the mechanical side of the game, as in the time I've spent with it I did not actually understand the mechanics very clearly. My biggest objective issue with the game was that it was way too easy to get through the night by sheer luck, without me having the clue about what is really going on.
I felt almost as I was cheating, getting past one day after another not knowing what I'm doing right or wrong.
But again, I'm going to revisit one day and get a more thorough impression.
>>
>>321762427
Against the government and corruption, duh
>>
>>321762427
What are spoiler tags
>>
>find the social network account of the girl who was the face of the Devotress
>it's full of her childhood pics
>some pedo probably faps to that
>>
>>321762154
>It's actually not convoluted at all,
That is a joke statement and you know it. It is convoluted as fucking hell, though I agree the underlying "theme" or "thought" was not particularly complex, the plot was convoluted as fucking hell, like any game that relies on the cheap gimmick of time travel as an important plot element tends to be.

>Having unconventional narrative methods and storytelling is fine but doesn't really warrant a great story by itself,
First of all, the story IS good by itself. Second of all, if your story is heavily ABOUT perception, then having that mirrored in the narrative technique is actually incredibly important, and completely valid part of evaluation. It's like saying the unreliable narrator of Lolita did not matter to the quality of the story. It fucking did and you know it. It can't be separated from the story itself. Neither can be the narrative of Pathologic separated from the story itself.

>Pathologic is VERY speculative until the last few days when everything becomes blatantly clear.
No, it REALLY ISN'T. The the game uses fantastic language to speak about very REAL things. The nature of supersticion, the problem of creativity, the dispute between platonic idealism and pragmatism, and most of all, the actual characters that inhabit the world are very relevant to real world, unlike anything that either Kain or Planescape provide. It's not about creating fictional problem and then playing around with it - it's about addressing a real problem, just dressed up in a fantastic language. Which by the way the game even explains to you, right in the first day of Bachelor.

>The former two are fantasy sure but have their own strict rules and limitations
Of course they are: that is the basic principle of speculative fiction. Or more precisely, that is one of the common merrits of good speculative fiction - internal consistency. But that has nothing to do with the nature of things they address.
>>
>>321762323
Where does it say this?
>>
File: Pathologic+Day+7_04+Bachelor.jpg (95 KB, 1052x548) Image search: [Google]
Pathologic+Day+7_04+Bachelor.jpg
95 KB, 1052x548
Utopia Ain’t free. The Polyhedron and utopia gotta be litterd with the debris of the Settlement. Artemiy RIPPER Burakh aka "menkhu” is not my friend. he is a cultist shaman and probbaly an odongh as well :DD. STAMATIN brothers not OYUN niggers ok. praise kains.

>>321763246
It says that to you outright and Laska hints at it. It's also present in the Bachelor's scenario where everyone thinks it's the shabnak-adyr
>>
>>321762551
But the game is really easy to figure out if you pay attention to the things the Lodger says.
You just have to survive until dawn, and clocks advance the time.
Hiding "makes you feel as time is going backwards",which is exactly what happens while you hide.
Guests make time go backwards, and if time goes before you woke up level restarts.
Eyes are holes that the Lodger wants to fix because "things" could get inside the house, which means that Guests spawn when you leave eyes alone for a while
Stopping in a light up room allows you to adjust your vision and notice the furniture, and when you lose the diary to find diary pages.
During forest segments you can find stuff ,and if you find enough you get the good ending.
I don't know if I got lucky with the dialogue and the things I did but I understood the gameplay mechanics really quick and never felt fear
The ending was just a dissapointment
>>
>>321763408
Are you Russian? because there's no laska in HD version anymore.
>>
>>321763991
Yes I am. What's her name in HD?
Also, what's the name of the steppe people in the English translation?
>>
Man once you figure out the gameplay you can break the game really easily
As Changeling I lockpicked every single rich house in town, saved up bullets and then went on a murder spree, clearing out an entire abandoned district
I went from no food to 12 pieces of bread and the rest of the food inventory filled with other stuff, max rep,36 alpha pills, a bandage kit a repellent cloak and some repellent boots

How are you supposed to roleplay as Changeling? Scared girl, chuuni judge, or just as if you are female Jesus?
Also does Clara have a sister or not?Because sometimes she thinks she does and later she thinks that she can't keep lying about having a sister.
>>
>>321763991
Might have not played the HD version first. I've played both and I have the tendency to call Aspity Ospina, Grace Laska and that kid whose english name I don't remember at all "Notkin", just because I've played the original Pathologic translation first and spent more time on it, and grew accustomed to those names.
Honestly, maybe it's because I'm slav myself and the names make sense to me, but Laska and Ospina sound way better to me. Though I understand the decision to re-translate them.

>>321764078
Laska is now "Grace" in english. They translated most of the names to be English equivalents of their original names meanings.
>>
File: 1449713806899.jpg (52 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
1449713806899.jpg
52 KB, 600x300
>>321763000
>That is a joke statement and you know it. It is convoluted as fucking hell, though I agree the underlying "theme" or "thought" was not particularly complex, the plot was convoluted as fucking hell, like any game that relies on the cheap gimmick of time travel as an important plot element tends to be.

It really isn't and all its time traveling shenanigans are tied around one central plot thread, the fatal paradox in SR2. It's not convoluted if you make an average effort to understand it.

Hell, the Redeemer & Destroyer plotline had more depth to it than any individual plot thread from Pathologic.

>First of all, the story IS good by itself. Second of all, if your story is heavily ABOUT perception, then having that mirrored in the narrative technique is actually incredibly important, and completely valid part of evaluation.

That's all fine and it is a good story, I never denied that it was. What I'm saying is it isn't what it's all cracked up to be. It does make most of the form it's told in but that doesn't somehow make up for the "magical" explanation contradicting the overwhelming realism to that point.

>No, it REALLY ISN'T. The the game uses fantastic language to speak about very REAL things.

It's overwritten at best. Lots of meandering and philosophy that doesn't advance the plot and story in any meaningful way and doesn't. It goes well with the meta stuff later on but doesn't have any crucial meaning and is simply fluff/filler most of the time.

>Of course they are: that is the basic principle of speculative fiction. Or more precisely, that is one of the common merrits of good speculative fiction - internal consistency.

What are you saying exactly? That they not on the same level because they don't question and comment on the nature of humanity in a skinnerbox environment?

Legacy of Kain is the parallel to the gnostic story of humanity defying the heavens, something very spiritual in itself, how does its form undo its basic idea? It doesn't
>>
>>321764175
I think you're -supposed- to break the game as Changeling, being a miracle worker and all.

Her having a sister... well, someone tells you that you can't lie since you're a Mistress, so everything you say is truth. You lied about having a sister, she came into being because you can't lie.

>tfw the devs outright tell you Changeling was rushed and her ending was tacked on in the Theater on day 12

>>321764210
How did they translate Уклaд then?
I think translating names by transcribing wasn't the best idea, all those names have some implicit meaning in them, so most of the names won't really say anything to an English player (Ospina, Laska being quite clear examples)

A bit of blogposting now
>study for 5 years to become a (better) translator
>want to translate vidya
>stuck translating GCCX from engsub into russian and also some shit for rutracker
>IPL will never hire you
>too late to join Vladeworth's quest and he vanished anyway

WHY LIVE
WHY
IT'S NOT FAIR
>>
File: markScreen.jpg (70 KB, 540x642) Image search: [Google]
markScreen.jpg
70 KB, 540x642
Who the fuck was this smug motherfucker? What's his problem? What's his role?
>>
File: 1446924656183.jpg (51 KB, 474x356) Image search: [Google]
1446924656183.jpg
51 KB, 474x356
>>321764858
He is a chef
>>
>>321765117
Elaborate
>>
>>321764563
>Redeemer & Destroyer plotline
I'm sorry, but for curiosity, and not to be accused of being impartial, a quote from Raziel's entry legacy of Kain wikia:
>Pressing further into the Catacombs, Raziel discovered the source of the murals - the Cult of Hash'ak'gik (represented by Mortanius and several Cenobites), performing 'dark rites' to their god "Hash'ak'gik". As the ritual finished, Raziel ventured too close to the pit and was telekinetically attacked by "Hash'ak'gik", dragging him into the pit. As they talked Raziel realized that "Hash'ak'gik" was in fact his last remaining Vampire brother Turel, somehow taken back in time form the Soul Reaver era, and Possessed by several Hylden to command their disciples.
This IS convoluted and this is not actually a meaningful story. It's fun because it has internal consistency, but the same can be said about Halo: This does not mean anything, it has no "depth" if you consider "depth" a question of meaning.

>What I'm saying is it isn't what it's all cracked up to be.
I would really love to know what is up to what it's all cracked to be.

>It's overwritten at best.
You seriously want to say that after praising Kain and Planescape?

>Lots of meandering and philosophy that doesn't advance the plot and story in any meaningful way and doesn't.
Actually, it really is meaningful. Not to mention (again), that it actually has characters - well written characters, with actual psychology to them - again something that both aformentioned titles lack.

>What are you saying exactly?
That one is an intelectual exercise, while the other is actually a commentary on real world. That one speculates "what if the nature of reality was that belief literally forms reality", while the other says: "Debates about the nature of reality ARE part of our world and lives, and sometimes conflicts between them can lead to real suffering: here is how it goes...".

See the difference? One is a "what if" question, the other is observation.
>>
>>321764563
>muh kain
Fuck off this is a Pathologic thread.

>overwritten
Well, Pathologic was originally meant to be a play, but then the head of IPL and his crew allegedly hit some acid and made it a videogame.
>>
>>321760984

>Legacy of Kain
>Better narrative than Pathologic

You're cute.
>>
>>321764727
>How did they translate Уклaд then?
If I'm not mistaken that transcribes to "Uklad" in roman letters, right?
I'm not sure what that is refering to in the game. Is that the "Order" - you know, the overarching organization of the city?
I'm pretty sure they translated that simply as "Order", but I'm not sure right now. They occasionally use multiple different translations of an originally single term in the new translation (the Пpиближeнныe, which was translated as "Adherent" in the original english (mis)translation is now translated commonly as "Bound", but they specifically state that people refer to them under many names - Fated Ones, Adherents, Bound, Circle etc...)

>too late to join Vladeworth's quest and he vanished anyway
He is still around, last time I've seen him was about two months ago. He just isn't all that active, but then again he wasn't for a good few years before.
>>
File: 1447521013053.jpg (47 KB, 501x361) Image search: [Google]
1447521013053.jpg
47 KB, 501x361
>>
>>321765975

I FUCKING HATE MICE
>>
>>321759283

I feel you guy. Pathologic was the first game that made me sick. And not like throw-up sick. I just felt ill and depressed playing it. It's a mixture of a bleak fucked up setting combined with each day reminding you how many people died because of your inaction.

The game doesn't let you catch breath as you start to understand that the cause of the plague could've been remedied before it got out of hand if the families worked together instead going all secretive about shit. Each time you talk with them, they're so stubborn in their thinking you just want to scream and pout at them "WAKE UP YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER, PEOPLE ARE DYING.".

Best adaptation of "The Plague" I've played.
>>
>>321765793
Уклaд is just the steppe people/community. As for Пpиближённыe, well, they're going under different names when referenced by different people in the original, too.

Vlad is obsolete now anyway, right? HD translation happened and all.
>>
>>321766295
They are rats, not mice.
But yeah, they are frustrating as all fuck.

Much like Ospina (Aspity, whatever), they are a plague on the fucking city that rivals the Sand Pest itself.
>>
File: Pathologic.jpg (325 KB, 986x1378) Image search: [Google]
Pathologic.jpg
325 KB, 986x1378
>>321766352
>The Plague
Funny you should say that, made this earlier
>>
Let's get some music going, post favourite tracks from the game. Mine are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3qzMLIq3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NxiYR5uL4
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxhL4NxqBRs
>>
>>321767135
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m8dhnN8Cw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPFOrxXF9YM

This one certainly stands out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqFne3IZdzQ
>>
File: 1450628945106.png (417 KB, 377x493) Image search: [Google]
1450628945106.png
417 KB, 377x493
>>321760042
>>
>>321765286
I was going to write another response wall of text but in the meantime I realized it will be fruitless either way. You are dead wrong on the quote which has little to no relation to the point of murals and the impact it has on the plotline and only leads me to think you haven't understood it at a wider level as well.

The rest you're just going to deny in light of preference. The truth is the constant philosophizing and meta ending doesn't somehow exonerate the multitude of plot threads which couldn't have been fulfilled under the weight of reality
>>
>>321765490
Yes it does
I really am not trying to shit on Pathologic but there's no debating this
>>
>>321767674
>The truth is the constant philosophizing and meta ending doesn't somehow exonerate the multitude of plot threads which couldn't have been fulfilled under the weight of reality
And this clearly tells me that you don't understand anything about the story of Pathologic, if you thikn it's constant philosophizing and meta. Because, and I'm telling you this for the last time - unlike Planescape, or Kain, Pathologic is a throughly HUMAN story. It's about people. Real people. Quite literally - that is the point of the meta-element to it, it's not just asinine stuff for the sake of itself, it's there as another layer of reminders that what we talk about actually concerns real people, including you, the player. That is the entire extent of the meta aspect of the storyline. It's to remind you that people, real people are what matters.

As for being wrong about the murals - I'VE LITERALLY QUOTED THAT FROM THE MOST EXTENSIVE AND WIDELY USED LORE PAGE ABOUT THE GAMES, the Kain's equivalent of UESP.
So right now, you are arguing that the larger portion of the community has it wrong.
I've merely posted it as an example of how actually absurd and divorced from any kind of actually relevant human experience the whole plot is.

>>321768098
The fact you disagree not only with the majority of people who played both games, but you actually seem to profoundly disagree with Kain fanbase on understanding the story itself should probably make you re-consider your position.
>>
>>321767135
>>321767390
https://youtu.be/BDcZTvtI30M?t=2m55s
Hearing this while Rubin tells you that you need a human heart was 10/10
Rubin is the only guy in the town who is trying to do something apart from MCs
Best boy
>>
>>321768364
I've never stayed at his place long enough to hear this. What the fuck were you doing in there that long?
>>
File: 1447107435085.jpg (208 KB, 560x575) Image search: [Google]
1447107435085.jpg
208 KB, 560x575
After finishing the Bachelor story I haven't been able to summon the willpower to do another playthough, the game is way too bleak, although it does suck you in after a while.
>>
>>321768605
Do Haruspex though.

Кpoвь Бoдхo гpeeт кopни; жилa Бoдхo их кopмит.
>>
>>321768570
I probably got a letter or checked my inventory to deal with my stats after I entered and the music got hype the second he mentioned the human heart
>>
>>321764858
He is the actual devil. He never gets sick, too.
>>
>>321768973
Who's the Rat Prophet then?

...wait, I just realized. Mark is the Bachelor's Bound. Shit.
>>
>>321768345
>real people
Sure, your fictional products of the mind set in another fictional "what if" scenario are somehow more akin to reality than when they wear a vampire suit. Please don't delude yourself.

The larger portion of the community doesn't have it wrong, your the one taking quotes out of context describing something that doesn't relate to the true point of that mural. That prophecy behind that mural is far older that the cult in question and is an integral part in how the story plays out. Not that you'd know its proper context in the first place, now I'm sure of it

The fact that you take random quotes without understanding the bigger picture behind it should probably make you re-consider your position.
>>
File: no raziel.gif (82 KB, 579x523) Image search: [Google]
no raziel.gif
82 KB, 579x523
>>321761340
>Legacy of Kain is an overconvoluted mess existing for the sake of over convolution
Is this what the Razielim believed?
>>
>>321768605
Haruspex playthough is pretty comfy since you have a secret base where you can brew potions and at night you usually have time to go herb gathering deep into the steppe
Also you give zero fucks about the origin of the infection and just try to fulfill your father's duty.
>>
>>321769150
>people showing their shitty side as plague spreads
>nature lashing out at humans for being shit to nature

What isn't human here you cuck
>>
>>321769150
Dude, right now you are expanding the scope of people you argue with to literally the ENTIRE academica concerned with literal theory, narrative theory, psychology, philosophy, semiotic theory and a considerable portion of the cognitive sciences. This is getting more and more absurd. You are denying the by far most broadly accepted academic theory of what makes a story a story.
I'm sorry, but you are a moron.
And I'm not the first one telling you this, am I? In this thread or in the broader scoop of things.

Don't try to argue quality of story if you don't even know the basic theory of narrative - that is absurd and laughable.
>>
>>321769591
this t b h f@m
>>
>>321769591
I'm not arguing anything, I'm calling you out on your "real humans" insanity. It's not a fucking observation if the characters act and speak nearly academically and constantly ponder about meaning of everything in some remote fuckwit termitary town that's also somehow in a game.
>>
>>321769150
legacy of kain is mythic in scope, subject matter, and narrative, thus relegating it to a narrative that bears much less resemblance to reality. This is not a bad thing, but it makes the story more of a "what if" scenario, so to speak.

While pathologic contains mythic elements, those elements are grounded in reality but are expounded on magically for the sake of narrative. On top of this, all the actors and events are largely human and relatable in a much more human way. This makes pathologic a "what if" scenario in its own right, but is also much more genuinely a story of human experience, and thus those magical elements render this a story of magical realism more than fable.

I think you might be getting push-back because while fable is intriguing, it's also relatively simple to achieve in all media. What makes pathologic so much more compelling is that despite the magical elements, it's still able to reflect on human experience, and beyond that allows you to reflect that much more genuinely on your own human experience.

You could argue that the same is true for Legacy of Kain, however you'd be missing out on why these games are games in the first place. The mechanics in pathologic are there to reinforce human hopelessness in the face of natural disaster, but in Legacy of Kain you beat shit up. There's a difference in the way these mechanics augment narrative, and that, I think, is getting too quickly brushed over in the discussion here.
>>
>>321769117
Dunno, I played the Ruski version so the name doesn't sound familiar.
>>
>>321771547
How aren't you able to deduce "кpыcиный пpopoк" from "rat prophet"??
>>
>>321770874
>I'm not arguing anything, I'm calling you out on your "real humans" insanity.
Then you are a child, and speaking of things WAAAAAY outside of your league. Seriously, what kind of education and background do you have to make such insanely arrogant statements? You don't even fucking KNOW what you are arguing with here, that is the saddest part.
What exactly about your insanely small and narrow understanding of the subject matter makes you think your beliefs are in any way relevant?

It's an observation when the things they ponder and worry about are very real problems that very real people ponder and worry about. The language is insignificant. If you actually wanted to make the argument that Pathologic isn't particuarly well written - that is the language in which the character speaks and the flow of the dialogues, for an instance, are not as good as in Planescape or Kain, then you would have a point, but that possible point is completely lost on the fact that you seem to be unable to differenciate such basic things as "writing" from "story" and from "narrative".
Which again just shows how absurdly little you know about this particular subject matter.
>>
>>321771768
Stop with your strawman, I know exactly what I'm taking about here. You're defending a story which is infinitely better suited to be a play or a book

They are not real people. They are not realistically characterized. That is not a realistic depiction of them reacting to circumstances. This would all be fine in a different scenario, but in story that prides itself on distilled humanity it takes a very extremist and speculative look at it. It's no different than fucking Walking Dead in that regard. Especially trying to convey such an extravagant examination through a form less than ideal for it. It's not well executed, not well concepted and squanders all potential midway on a big copout. Pretentious and an experimental first effort is what it is
>>
>>321772876
ok
Can we discuss the game now
>>
File: Goebbels-chan.jpg (60 KB, 572x800) Image search: [Google]
Goebbels-chan.jpg
60 KB, 572x800
>>321771768
Oh my. Here's a narrative for you.
> According to biographer Peter Longerich, Goebbels' diary entries from late 1923 to early 1924 reflected the writings of a man who was isolated, preoccupied by "religious-philosophical" issues, and lacked a sense of direction.

My evaluation? Well, it's a shitty narrative, but fun to watch, like any good train wreck. This character is heading for a BAD END.
>>
>>321772876
And now you are using the term "strawman" completely wrong too. My god, you are a hopeless case. So no, you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. And by the way, I asked you what kind of background or knowledge do you have to be fucking certain that you know what you are talking about. Why did you avoid answering that?

>You're defending a story which is infinitely better suited to be a play or a book
Did you even fucking PLAY the game? At one point you complain about too much meta stuff, then you say that it would be better off as a book? Are you sane? Are you just typing random stuff at this point?

No, the player agency and the player perspective is absolutely key to the storyline. That is why there is that meta aspect you whinned about a while ago. You are literally contradicting yourself at this point, which is fitting, because I guess there is nobody else in the world you have not contradicted so far.

>hey are not real people. They are not realistically characterized. That is not a realistic depiction of them reacting to circumstances.
So at this point you are not even differenciating between believability and realism. I repeat, this is a fucking joke.
Get you basic shit straight. If you can't understand the difference between belivability and realism, what the fuck do you expect will happen when you try to actually argue about narrative with others?
>>
>>321773342
Are you the same guy who accused me of strawman?
Because if you are, the irony here is off any fucking chart.
>>
File: Pathologic.jpg (42 KB, 664x198) Image search: [Google]
Pathologic.jpg
42 KB, 664x198
>>
>>321773359
what background do you have? why is that relevant? we're on an anonymous image board and should value the strengths of an argument on the argument alone. Don't go shitting on strangers for no cause.
>>
You know how Undertale is hated retroactively due to its fanbase? Starting to get really vexed by the LoK series right now.
>>
>>321772876
>You're defending a story which is infinitely better suited to be a play or a book
wew lad
>>
>>321773773
I mean, the LoK guy is saying dumb shit, but the guy disagreeing with him is being such a pretentious cunt
>>
>>321774014
Truly the Bachelor and Haruspex we deserve but don't need
>>
>>321773537
>what background do you have? why is that relevant?
Basic literally theory from Aristotle to Eco, quite a lot on narrative theory from a psychological, cognitive and philosophical perspective (that is to say, I've read from the top of my head Abbott, Cohn, Brooks, Peterson, Koťátko, Auerbach). Why it matters? Because I know what the FUCK AM I TALKING ABOUT.
If you literally don't know even the most basic concepts and terminology, if you can't comprehend say the difference between belivability and realism, then you literally don't have the basic tools on which to make judgements. If you can't comprehend how something might be relevant to you, reflecting something from a real world, without slavishely recreating reality to a point, then what the fuck are you doing here?

If you don't understand the distinction between genre and classical fiction, how do you assume what you think or say has any relevance or value for anyone else?
Have you not even considered that it might be a good idea to doublecheck your thoughts with what other people have said on the subject matter, to see if you aren't completely misguided?
Is the notion that erudition is necessary to actually claim authority on anything completely alien to you?

Do you actually believe that what you think has value simply because it's you who thinks it?
>>
>>321772876
Not to make this one of those things where people quote something dumb someone said and post endless reaction images, but what actually happened here? Would you care to explain why pathologic would be better as a play or a book? Is it because it uses some stage play-related themes, and you've read written versions of stage plays in books before? Have you actually played the game?
>>
>>321774279
Not him, but you do know Pathologic was initially meant to be a play, literally?
>>
>>321774361
I didn't, but I imagine they ended up changing a lot of what they had in the transition to its current videogame form.
>>
When Rubin reveals that Simon has been alive the whole time you were searching for his murder and was killed only recently for the vaccine creation was probably the most disgusted I've ever felt at a game. It was great.
>>
>>321774361
>Not him, but you do know Pathologic was initially meant to be a play, literally?
Actually, it wasn't. It was, at the very beggining, a tabletop roleplaying campaign that Dybovsky thrown together after a chain of particularly intense dreams. A lot of it is actually very strongly reflected in the game, including the three-person narrative. The three characters were original the three PC characters in said tabletop.

After the campaign, Dybovsky wandered what to do with it further, and for a while he thought it might be suited to theatrical play - which by the way I think is his original area of expertise.

A while later somebody suggested that it might work best as a game, which is also more true to it's original version.
>>
>>321762245
Is that the real Clara?
>>
>>321773450
Sorry, but dropping the word "irony" doesn't make you appear intelligent to me. Nor does your preoccupation with "deep" ideas that "real people" think and worry about.
>>
File: x_3bd2f9c6.jpg (60 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
x_3bd2f9c6.jpg
60 KB, 604x453
>>321774623
Yes
>>
>>321774183
Underrated post
>>
>>321774579
but being alive means different in Kain's house.
>>
>>321774835
What's her name?
>>
>>321774896
literally alive, the polyhedron nonsense takes place after
>>
>>321774830
So after falsly accusing someone of strawman, then promptly commiting a textbook strawman in the next post, now we are to "this is all just pretentious wankery".

OK. You have a point. Most people don't care about this kind of shit. Most people don't care for literary or narrative theory, and I don't blame them. Call it pretentious, if you want.

But DON'T FUCKING TRY TO PRESENT YOURSELF AS A JUDGE OF SUCH CONCEPTS if that is the attitude that you have. If you don't care about this kind of crap, don't go around lecturing others about what is a good story and what is not.

Now fuck off before you embarrass yourself even more. God knows you have devolved in this discussion pretty badly already. Save yourself some dignity.
>>
>>321774268
Nigga I agree with you on the point that Pathologic has more genuine artistic merit than LoK but it is time to stop posting.

Everyone else here came to talk about the game and you've monopolized at least the later half of the thread to something most other people here don't give a shit about.

Make some closing arguments and wrap it the fuck up so we can actually discuss the game itself.
>>
>>321774361
And before that:
>TM: Pathologic started as a table top RPG scenario and was written as a play before becoming a video game. Can you tell us anything about these early iterations of Pathologic?

>Alexandra: The most important thing to know about the early iterations of Pathologic is that they didn’t work out. Many LARP games are a constant struggle between the plot and the players’ freedom of choice—a problem that is definitely familiar to most gamers. Obviously, any decent game master knows and communicates in advance what exactly they are set to achieve—and, well, sometimes it makes sense to admit that your vision demands a different medium. Which is what happened in the end.
>>
File: Pathologic Day 6.webm (3 MB, 1279x720) Image search: [Google]
Pathologic Day 6.webm
3 MB, 1279x720
>>
>>321775268
The first time I heard those fuckers yelling I got the fright of my life
At least they're relatively easy money
>>
>>321775387
I hear they patched the volume of their screams.
>>
Do you ever enter the second bar? I mean, it's in the same district as Stamatin's bar, it has a bar sign, but it's permaclosed and you can't pick the lock to its door.
>>
File: 1416981835365.jpg (237 KB, 674x800) Image search: [Google]
1416981835365.jpg
237 KB, 674x800
>>321775387
>>321775268
>that bug in the hd release where they'd yell at full volume no matter how far away you were
>>
>>321775268
It's all starts with the hunchback lost his girl right?
What if you do nothing in day 5? Things still happen without you?
>>
>>321775506
Yeah, they stopped them from having the same volume no matter how far away you are from them.
EURRRGHHHHHH
>>
>>321775635
There are a few, I think. They're supposed to be closed, but I don't remember why or if there even was an explanation.
>>
>>321775087
>tips fedora whilst teleporting behind you and sheathing samurai sword
I AM THE AUTHORITY ON LITERATURE
>>
what's the best place to get this game? doesn't appear to be on steam
>>
>>321776050
It is on steam, the search function on the steam store appears to be broken.
>>
>>321776114
oh ok. I'll look later then, thanks
>>
>>321775087
Oh btw, is this a good time to point out I'm not even the same person lol! I didn't deceive you, you deceive yourself.
>>
How's the translator guy doing?
>>
>>321778205
Drinking himself to death after having his chance to be in the spotlight stolen from him by the HD rerelease.
>>
I hate to beg, but would anyone be willing to buy me this game in exchange for a Galactic Civ III key?
>>
>>321778431
Steam's search isn't working, how much is galciv currently, and how much is pathologic?
>>
>>321778205
>How's the translator guy doing?
You mean Vlad? Fine, I think. Same as ever, really. He seemed to be a good sport about it, actually. Plus now that the WoD game thing seems to be back on table, he has something new to gush about.
He seemed to be way preoccupied with actual life and keeping his family afloat anyway.
>>
>>321779315

galactic Civ is $25, pathologic is $8.55
>>
>>321779778
Pathologic used to be some ten bucks on re-release.
Oddly enough, steam search seems to be really broken.
>>
>>321756890

meme game
>>
>>321779873

$8.44*
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.