[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 2 Scholar of The First Sin Difficulty/ Dark Souls 2 Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
Does anyone else feel as if they went the cheap way to make this game more difficult by just adding groups of enemies that bum rush you.
Iron Keep for example there are about 5 extra Alonne Knights than there are in the original and they all come after you at the same time.
Also the Heide Tower of Flame is near impossible to do without summons if you kill the dragonRIDER first, with all of the White Heide Knights that travel around.(I swear those enemies are broken with their hitboxes)
It also seems to favor high strength/super tanky builds as the enemies have near limitless stamina and you often half to sacrifice health in order to kill them.
Also as a player of all other from software games this one feels as if it has the most cheap deaths, such as the black gulch area having enemies that nearly instakill those without insane amounts of health and the ridiculous statues. I know they put an extra bonfire there, but i don't remeber any areas like that in the other games.
Another good example is the Royal Rat Authority fight which feels like a rehash of Sif only made stupid with the little toxic rats.
It actually wasn't hard for my high intelligence character, but my previous Dexterity character would get bum rushed by absolutely everything in the game and was overwhelmed so easily.
I hope the butthurt isn't leaking through but the difficulty feels from unfairness rather than just challenging.
>>
>>321754302
I gotta say I bought DS2 with the last steam sale and I've been enjoying it a lot less than DS1. A friend called me an idiot for immediately buying Scholar of the First Sin but I never played the base game so I don't have anything to compare to
>>
>>321754612
I started to feel as if the attacking was worse in this game and when i switched back to the others i realized it was, when you attack forward with any weapon you can't immediately attack behind you like in the other games, which leads to a lot of unavoidable damage.
>>
>>321754302
>Does anyone else feel as if they went the cheap way to make this game more difficult by just adding groups of enemies that bum rush you.
No, they actually improved the difficulty in more meaningful way.
Exactly what original Dark Souls II failed in.

If you pay attention, the enemies actually come to you more one by one in SOTFS. In original, they were sparse but always grouped.
>>
>>321754778
The gameplay mechanics in Dark Souls II are just worse like that.
SOTFS did improve the original but it's still not as good as the previous games.
>>
I had that complaint with Dark Souls 2, but I think SOTFS balanced it very well to make it good hard and not bad hard.
>>
>>321754779 Not exactly i was testing it out today and when i would inch forward in the iron keep two or three of the alonne knights would always come no matter what, they are just set up to do that by where their spawns are.
After a while enemies do de-spawn in the game to prevent farming, which helps out if you are stuck, but it shouldn't have to get to that point
>>
>>321754302
Either way, I played melee through both versions and had no significant difficulty in areas like Heide. You just have to be able to multitask and be careful, just like with the other games. Dark Souls II was initially just rush-friendly, but SOTFS punishes more for that, rightfully so.
>>
File: sb3hn4.gif (2 MB, 474x304) Image search: [Google]
sb3hn4.gif
2 MB, 474x304
>>321754302
You are not wrong, but it's still a fine game

I only recently got the Scholar version and Iron Keep is pretty stupid.
Difficult? No, not really.
Tedious? Definitely.

You have millions of knights that prevent you from actually entering the Smelter fog
Then there are also three NPC invasions as a bonus
You HAVE to kill at least half of the knights to actually start a fight with Smelter right now

They seem to hate speedrunners for some reason as they've added quite a few thins like that, which just seem to mess with people trying to get through the game quick. Tons of enemies that prevent you from running past and all those petrified statues as well

The other areas are pretty great, I honestly like what they did to them

I didn't find the Heide tower too bad as the big knights die pretty easy and then you're just left one on one with the Heide knights for the most part. The dragon there also had a lot less health than I anticipated

I do like that they actually put in more enemies that were NG+ only or just rare overall, and in places that make more sense too, filling up most empty areas of the game

Scouring for the DLC keys is kind of annoying though

It's might not be a good Souls game, but it's a good game overall still, in my opinion.

>>321754612
Starting with Scholar is a better way, believe me
The new enemy/item placements make for a far more interesting playthrough
I only wish my first playthrough was with Scholar

Remember to level up Adaptability though, that's a silly required stat
>>
I hate so much about it

But I keep playing

I'm having fun

;_;
>>
>>321754978
There's actually more of them on your ass in the original. In SOTFS, you can bring them back and they'll come at you few at a time, as opposed to all at the same time in the original as soon as you enter and never letting go.
Some areas were improved more than the others, but Iron Keep isn't too hard.
>>
For being the worst game ever made we sure do get lots of threads.
>>
>>321754612
Same here. Something I find really annoying is how enemies no longer respawn if you kill them often enough; it feels like a concession that you can't beat a certain area so the game eases down on you eventually

If you need to do that then just start off with less enemies and make them respawn indefinitely
>>
>>321755114
>Remember to level up Adaptability though, that's a silly required stat
Didn't know that, thanks. What is it needed for?
>>
The run to Smelter is kinda fucking ridiculous in Scholar, but only if you're trying to run it. The moment you hit the door there are literally 10 knights huddled up on your ass. In the original, running past everything was basically effortless and they couldn't stop you from going in the door.

It's not particularly difficult if you're just clearing the area as normal, but having to do that again when Smelter clips you into a wall or something is incredibly tedious. Which is probably why he's optional.
>>
>>321754612
Scholar is the better version, though it's harder than original, not by that much. The original is just more frustrating with retarded difficulty spikes.
In original Lost Bastille, as soon as you open that one door 6-7 swordsmen rush at you from two directions. In Scholar it takes a lot longer to attract their attention, but I think there's more enemies in the general area overall but they don't follow you to the ends of world as easily.
>>
>>321755373
Adaptability will increase your Agility.
Agility is responsible for your roll i-frames
Get your agility to 100-105 and you'll have i-frames similar to Dark Souls 1

The breakpoints for added i-frames for Agility is each 5 points (85, 90, 95 etc) up to 115 I think
>>
>>321755573
That explains why I keep getting assraped mid-roll, thanks anon
>>
I felt sort of the same way.
On my big tank build that used havel's set the game was a breeze up until the shrine of amana, which almost made me quit the game until i summoned 2 people.
When i tried to play a sorcery build through the second time, even though i knew the areas i would still die much more often than my previous character as i would get rushed by many enemies and would always have to us some cheap Chokepoint, in order to fire off many spells switch to my moonlight greatsword and just hit them praying to god they would stagger. Which they usually didn't.
It was a bit more fun using the different types of spells but unless there was a good spot to fire them you are screwed until you got soul flash.
>>
>>321755685
No worries.
That, and Soul Memory and the two major issues that are wrong with DaS2, which also took a while for people to figure out
>>
>>321755573
op here, i have my attunement up and adaptability to where i have 107 agility but it still feels as if they hit me too often during rolls even when i time them right.
I like how they changed it from just the four basic rolls, but they should have not used the agility stat, luckily it is out in dark souls 3.
>>
File: 1450254308353.gif (1 MB, 211x203) Image search: [Google]
1450254308353.gif
1 MB, 211x203
>>321756047
It happens, but do keep in mind that you still have the different rolls, expect that it now differs in distance before becoming a fatroll

30% and 50% weight are the main breakpoints
http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/rolling

I don't doubt that it won't be in Dark Souls 3, but we still haven't seen the stats there, so there's not guarantee that they won't include something silly this time too

I did play the test and it was pretty amazing. April can't come sooner
>>
>>321756334
DS3 will be one of the first games in years that I will buy at full price instead of waiting for a sale
>>
>>321754302
>Does anyone else feel as if they went the cheap way to make this game more difficult by just adding groups of enemies that bum rush you.

this was the entire design philosophy of dark souls 2 to begin with. can't actually design good enemies, so just add 50 of them.
>>
>>321754302
>>321754612
>>321754778
>>321755176
>>321755831
G I T
U
D
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.