[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bioshock series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: bioshock image.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bioshock image.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
It has been 8 years since the first Bioshock game. How do you think the series has held up?
>>
I didn't even like it that much at launch.

Bioshock 2 was a major improvement, but still somewhat underwhelming, and Infinite can kiss my ass.
>>
>>321753674
Would you consider these games to be RPG's?

Are these games underrated on /v/?
>>
Bioshock 1 was a fantastic original game with a lovely atmosphere and setting. Bioshock 2 was a good game but nothing much new was added beyond a different story and playing as a big daddy, which was still pretty damn great. I don't know what the fuck infinite did but I wasn't a fan of that game.
>>
I just completed the first game in this series a month ago. Exploration is great, story/setting/environment is okay, combat is bad because the gunplay is horrible and it's too easy to break the game with the wrench once you have the combat tonics that empower the wrench and circle strafing. I completed the game on the hardest difficulty with the wrench and that includes the final boss.

I liked the powers and upgrade system. There were always new things to look forward to unlocking until you near the endgame (and have all the wrench related tonics).

Hoarders won't like this game because the inventory is extremely limited and you'll be forced to leave behind a lot of stuff, including cash. About the only thing you'll never have enough of is ADAM.
>>
>>321753576
BS1 & 2 only get better with the age, since the once generic and plain design feels damn oldschool and fun now. Back in 2007, BS was only a disappointing, streamlined and consolized SS2 clone.

BS:I is just shit.

>>321753806
fuck no. They are shooters.
>>
>>321754614
>BS1 & 2 only get better with the age, since the once generic and plain design feels damn oldschool and fun now.

Yeah seriously FPS have became the same damn generic shit now that you might as well not even play them. You played one you are guaranteed to know how the others are. At least these games went for making a fun single player adventure. Most FPS now are designed with mp most in mind.
>>
Still haven't topped System Shock 2
>>
>>321755360
What is so good about this outdated garbage? I see people praise it so much but it looks like it has aged like milk. It looks boring.
>>
Why were we hating Infinite? Can someone give me the gist of it?
>>
>>321755649
Why dont you try it out?I thought dark souls was garbage before i tried it
>>
honestly, I'm absolutely baffled by the positive reception of these games

1 is boring as fuck, 2 is boring as fuck, and Infinite is a fucking joke - and boring as fuck

I'm done with ken levine
>>
File: ss2 on retrorig.png (457 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ss2 on retrorig.png
457 KB, 1024x768
>>321755649
>it looks this and that
seriously son?

Play it and see it for yourself. I personally played it for the first time in 2007, thinking I'd be "preparing" for the hyped Bioshock, but to my own surprise I found a fucking GOTYAY that I played twice in a row.

>>321755701
-downgraded in just about every single way compared to originals.
-story, mood and overall design don't fit the BS1/2 style action shooter.
-graphics sub-par at best.
-waifufags.
>>
>>321753576
I still love 1&2, but infinite is pure shit.
>>
>>321755880
I played SS2 this year after playing the bioshock games and it quickly became my favorite
>>
>>321755649
> pick and mix between different skilltrees and come up with your own combos
vs.

> there are some plasmids

In System Shock 2, you can start off with as Navy (Hacker), get some Cybernetic affinity, hack terminals and get them to shoot enemies / turn off security, skill into psionics for invisibility plus flame aura = Sneak and Kill combo. You'll be hacking every container, security panel and turret while killing regular mobs by standing next to them as an invisible pillar of flame.

Or you could go full agilitywhore and sanic people with melee weapons = pick marine, get adrenaline psi ability and psionic weapon for maximum damage. Not to mention you can pick up the overhead smash and melee perks at the OS upgrade.

2 very good builds you can come up by yourself in that game. For BioShock it was mostly the Shock plasmid and whatever gun I had ammo for at the time.

Before someone says muh plot, System Shock 2 tells a rather timeless story of individualism vs. collectivism set against organic vs. aritificial life. Everyone on the ship is either dead, infected or dying. The Many are a collective, much like SJWs, believing that their unity is the only valid way of life. They try to add you to their collective. You are the only individual left on the ship, being coordinated by the machine mother - someone you don't want to help but have to. She wants to transform the world, but not into organic mass but machines.

Bioshock has a good plot too, you deal with freedom, societal pressures, objectivism, but that is mostly explored in logs and that one moment of wouldyoukindly. System Shock paces the plot in a more subtle, pervasive fashion.

tl;dr It's not outdated, it's timeless.
>>
>>321756050
>>321755880
my afroamericans!
SS2 simply blew my mind. It was damn eye-opening to realize how Doom3, Dead Space, and many others had apparently directly copied it's design choices. The sheer depth and complexity of the gameplay exceeded my expectations for this 20yo title.
>>
>>321756256

>Use your plasmids in limited but creative ways.

vs.

>Put points in random shit and do just fine because they did fuck-all for balancing the game.

I wish nostalgiafags would just fuck off already.
>>
Rapture is still my favorite vidya setting. The design, atmosphere, its history, all these stories of people who lived there like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypTs3tfspXQ

It's just amazing. I can't name a more original and interesting setting. The combat sucks though.
>>
>>321756439
>2007
>nostalgia
um, nope?

>allowing players to beat the game in numerous ways = poor balancing
>>
>>321756439
Fuck off you pillock. The limitations on the plasmids where so marring that it led to boring one-directional ways.

You don't put points into random shit and do just fine. If you put all your points into the hacking skill with 0 Cybernetic Affinity, get fucked trying to hack anything above level one. Same goes for the psi tree. You have to diligently measure what you are going to spend points on to not end up as a fucking pushover.

I'll give you a few examples:

If you, as you just said, put random points into bullshit, you might end up with 0 in normal weapons and 6 in exotic. Exotic weapons turn up at the end up at the end of the game, so you're fucked.

If you put no points into agility or endurance, you can neither play tanky or quickly, and you're fucked.

Without strength your carrying capacity is limited.

Try using psi/hacking abilities without skilling into psi/cybernetic affinity.

It's a carefully designed set of skill modules that can be picked and mixed together - they have to make sense though. If I played the hacker and just suddenly decided to go full psi, i'd get fucked because I don't have the psi hypos or the basic psi abilities to use my skills properly, both fucking the basis of hacking and my spent points on psi. The invisiliby/flame combo will be one of the few things you'll be able to do, you can't go willy nilly with it.

I think you just can't handle it when a class system allows for multiple playstyles of one and the same class, e.g. WoWfag.
>>
>>321756256
>streamlining a game is always bad
System Shock 2 was a mess of a game.
>>321756439
This
>>
>>321758290
> streamlining a game is always bad

No, that is absolutely not true and not what I said. Just because a game is streamlined doesn't make it better. Bioshocks plasmid system had some creative uses that would be played out 5 minutes into using them.

Let's take the lightning plasmid. You can either shock a single enemy, or shock multiple enemies when they're in a puddle of water. Cool, interesting use of physics. Played out after 2 uses. Especially since the upgrades don't do much to your plasmids to keep you interested. This goes for most of them. And because equipping and switching between plasmids is a bitch, you'll mostly use one or two different plasmids throughout the game, since it's not that hard and most utility plasmids simply aren't needed.

In System Shock 2 you might want to use a teleport/scouting psi ability to see what's up ahead and scavenge for med/psi hypos cause you're low on them. BioShock tosses so many eve hypos and med kits at you that it's nigh impossible to ever run low on them, thus thus making utility skills pointless.

In terms of damage it goes like this: You basically never need to conserve ammo that much, therefore most other utility plasmids are pointless unless they're fun to you. Why would I want to enrage/distract enemies when I can simply kill them with one right click?

The streamlining simply isn't well done.
>>
>>321758290
>turning a varied survivalhorror RPG experience into a linear shooter is a good thing
you forget your (You)
>>
A cute puerto rican girl introduced me into Bioshock. I played 1 and Infinite and like them both, 1 was my top favorite of that franchise.Never got to play 2 because it was broken for me on Steam. Just this year I picked up SS2 and man was that game fun. I never played SS1 because my friend told me it wasn't as good as the second one,I can see why he thought this because they happen to both look differently but also the controls are like old as fuck.
>>
>>321753576
Bioshock 2 > Minerva's Den > Bioshock > Infinite

Agree?

Haven't played BaS so can't judge.
>>
>>321755838
I thought dark souls was garbage before I tried it
Then I tried it and knew that it was garbage
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.