[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which game was the better open-world RPG?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 247
Thread images: 27
File: w3vsxcx.jpg (142 KB, 671x416) Image search: [Google]
w3vsxcx.jpg
142 KB, 671x416
Which game was the better open-world RPG?
>>
Xeno
>>
>>321741970
Everything in Witcher 3 was far superior, especially the writing and world-building. I don't know why you would try to compare that piece of shit to Witcher 3.
>>
>>321741970
Does the witcher 3 have giant robots you can use to cut dragon throats? Didn't think so.
>>
>>321741970
>RPG
>>
Open-world RPGs in general just fucking suck.

Stop making them already.
>>
Every single thing except story
Xeno > TW3

Story
TW3 > Xeno
>>
>>321742082
This.
>>
>>321742214
TW3 on suicide watch ! 9pm tonight !
>>
>>321742214
This. The world and the gameplay of Chronicles X are outstanding but the story is a massive step down from the first game.
>>
>>321742214
Even combat? I haven't played TW3 yet but Xeno's combat is pretty awful
>screen is absolutely covered in shit
>controls are terribly awkward
>attack animations are absolutely meaningless
>>
>>321741970
Witcher 3.
Didn't play Xeno though.
>>
>>321742629
Witcher combat is rubbish.
>>
>>321741970
Xenoblade is the best open world game ever made.
However it sucks at doing pretty much everything else.
>>
>>321742728
Hi rebdit
>>
File: 1449839936475.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1449839936475.gif
1 MB, 320x180
I idort, I played both, I have a massive bias for Japanese games and perfer them 9 times out of 10 to western games but here's what I think.

Xenoblade is pretty fucking bad, at its very core it is literally and I mean literally an MMO that is offline.

Xenoblades open world is completely static, the came suffers from continuous pop-ins, it blatantly tries to compensate by using excessive lod and draw distance. Its textures, character models and color palette is severely limited. The environments only purpose is to serve as eye candy, there is no interaction, no diversity it's just eye candy. Unlike witchers environment which is dynamic, it has bimos within bimos, houses, items, people, actual quests that carry dialogue and ultimately the world feels like it is alive and breathing thus it is much more immersive and isn't dead like Xenoblades world.

It's a mediocre game, everything from story development, level pacing, character interactions is borderline garbage, witcher simply dose everything better. The dialogue is only tolerable if you're the type of person who can watch Sesame Street on repeat for 10 hours or if you're 15 years old or younger.

The music is terribly implemented and badly designed, Treehouse's extensive babbyfication of the game combined with the literal MMO combat, fetch quests x infinity, bloated pseudo-itemization all tie intogether to drag this game further and fruther down. I mean it's completely overrated at this point, there are better MMO's on PC that have lower scores than this game and I don't even play PC any more.

The game strives somewhat forward in terms of world/architectual design and verticality exploration but that's really about it, it's eye candy to some degree while simultaneously being one of the ugliest games I've ever seen.

Witcher 3 is just a much, much better game, its far more interactive and interesting compared to the MMO gameplay in Xenoblade. Witcher 3 even has better combat than Xenoblade. Go figure.
>>
>>321742082
I agree but I wouldn't call Xenoblade a piece of shit. It's a great 8/10 game,while Witcher is 9.5/10
>>
I'd rather see strange alien landscapes instead of polnish marshes, so.
>>
Both have boring or awful combat systems.
>>
>>321743272
>Witcher 3 even has better combat
haha
>>
witcher 3 by far

what i really love about xenoblade though is how it actually feels like a risk. it just feels totally different to other open world RPGs or RPGs in general. it feels unfair to call it an offline MMO (though in fairness sometimes it feels that way). it just shows more developers should take risks.
>>
File: 1425924558262.gif (925 KB, 367x309) Image search: [Google]
1425924558262.gif
925 KB, 367x309
>>321741970
Morrowind
Still the best: 2015
>>
>>321741970
>tfw both games don't deserve to be compared with fallout 4
>>
>>321746664
Still has terrible combat. Are there any open-world RPGs that actually have good combat?
>>
>>321747019
Dragon's Dogma
skyrim with mods
>>
>>321743272
This is high level bait. Anon did his research.
>>
>>321747019
Fuck no, good combat requires strict level design that open world RPGs can't spare. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or has shit taste.
>>
no one has wiiu so no one knows
>>
>>321747019
Risen.
>>
>>321745259
everything is better than xeno combat, anon. even anal with a cactus.
>>
>>321743272
>The dialogue is only tolerable if you're the type of person who can watch Sesame Street on repeat for 10 hours or if you're 15 years old or younger.
this is not exclusive to xenoblade. japs just can not into dialogue. i sometimes wonder if people over there actually talk like they do in their games
>>
>>321747787
They don't. Public nip is extremely informal. They have a separate dialect for media and is extremely hammy. Asian culture.
>>
>>321747213
you obvious pc-tard going to get some education on january 15th
>>
>>321747847
fucking why?
>>
>>321747924
Being informal on camera whether anime or game or variety tv is considered rude because they're addressing a whole audience watching it. It's the same as China, South Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc. Asian countries bruh I ain't gotta explain
>>
>>321747787
>japs just can not into dialogue. i sometimes wonder if people over there actually talk like they do in their games
Is that really on them though? It seems like it's more an issue of our localization teams doing a bad job.
>>
>>321747924
Asians are just weird lke that.
>>
>>321747787
I play many jrpg, its probably due to the nintendo localization but xenoblades dialogue is on the far end of being super child friendly.
>>
>>321741970
Xenoblade
>>
>>321742123
Geralt doesn't need giant robots to do that.
>>
>>321748129
>due to the nintendo localization
can any importfag confirm this?
>>
I've only played Xenoblade but I love the setting of it with the whole new world to explore, new alien races and so on. I haven't played any of the Witcher games but they all really seem like standard swords-and-sorcery medieval fantasy and it's a genre that's really difficult to stand out in. What does the witcher do differently?
>>
>>321748370
>What does the witcher do differently?
Has sex scenes and the worst combat known to man.
>>
Well, let's see, one is made by a team of dedicated game developers targeting long-term gamers who've been playing RPGs for over 20 years, and the other is Witcher 3.
>>
File: witcher 3 combat.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
witcher 3 combat.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>321742728
It gets crazy sometimes.
>>
Combat in witcher is boring and simple. And there's weapon degradation for some reason. I think Xenoblade probably wins in that department, even though it's not great there either.
>>
File: 1368844490722.jpg (5 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1368844490722.jpg
5 KB, 126x126
>>321748501
Looks like a little kid playing helicopter. That's the dumbest swordplay I've seen, and I've watched anime.
>>
>>321746919
>tumblr filename
>/co/trash
>fallout 4
i hope this is bait
>>
http://time.com/4149154/xenoblade-chronicles-review/

What, does /v/ not read? I mean, even if you've only played both games for a couple of hours it's pretty easy to see that XCX beats Wit3 in every conceivable way.
>>
>>321748501
Why is he swinging his sword around so much and why does it seem to be so ineffective?
>>
>>321748501
Wow, this is some EA-Presents-The-Lord-Of-The-Rings-The-Return-Of-The-King level mocap-trash.
>>
>>321748501
The combat is literally Skyrim. A more HD Skyrim.
>>
>>321748789
No it isn't. You can't swing around like a ballerina into a big ass shield and not get staggered in Skyrim.
>>
>>321748941
Does Skyrim actually have better combat than TW3?
>>
>every action/arpg game has to have DMC/Souls combat

Fuckin hate this age old /v/ mentality
>>
>>321749032
I don't see where anyone said that, I only see where people say TW3 has bad combat.
>>
any native english speaker can tell me is it "a rpg" or "an rpg"? to my ears, an rpg sounds more natural and easier to say.
>>
>>321749550
not native but i think it has something to do with "r" phonetically sounding like a vowel
>>
>>321749550
An RPG is correct.
>>
>>321749632
ok that makes sense
>>
>>321749550

An is correct. It's because it's pronounced like "arpeegee" so, phonetically, RPG begind with a vowel.
>>
The Witcher seems like more of a JRPG than XCX
>>
>>321749550
an RPG
a role playing game
>>
>>321748370
Its better im every way in comparison to other similar games. And i mean even combat, people complaying about that because most times you have to make potions to be able to defeat most enemies.
The rest is pretty much 10/10. The best thing is the huge number of diferent enemies you will find.
>>
>>321749550
english is a retard language, just say whatever sounds good to you, it's how the various dialects and accents are shaped anyway

if anyone ever doubts you just tell them that's how it's said/written in your part of the world which is the southern falkland islands or whatever
>>
>>321741970
X world is grand and impressive but feel lifeless
it's populate with monster but they are kinda there, standing around like MMO monster on map.

Witcher 3 on other hands has generic fantasy set up but the world feel like breathing living world. everything feel organic, trees respond to wind, items in the world actually take physical form while in X all items are blue crystal so the world in X feel more "gamey"
>>
>>321742123
reddit: the post
>>
>>321750062
I chuckled
>>
"What is better /v/ a popular game available on most devices or a relatively obscure Nintendo game?"
Where do you think we are?
>>
You fucks are making me want to play TW3. Will I miss much by not playing the previous games? I have TW1 on Steam but haven't been able to get into it at all.
>>
>>321750142
>X world is grand and impressive but feel lifeless
>it's populate with monster but they are kinda there, standing around like MMO monster on map.
Okay I'll bite this is fucking bullshit.

X monsters actually hide themselves as either ruins, underground, or camouflage themselves on top or in front of you to bait your party into dying.
In X whenever you take the normal quests you start to wonder whether or not they're worth doing because almost every time into the quest line someone dies. The same goes for affinity quests.
The combat in X is FAAAAARRRR more complicated than Witcher 3. This is a good thing.

People who played X will know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>321750424
>>
Here's the thing, JRPGs and WRPGs work completely different. WRPGs are all about, well, roleplaying. A "badass" character or a user generated character that can have the entire world at their hands, where every choice matters, etc.

Choice hasn't been a thing in JRPGs, and even in X, choice is nothing but a way to get slightly different consequences in sidequests, that end in nothing important, but makes you feel you fucked up/nailed it.
Combat is also completely different. While WRPGs tend to be just "put the armor and weapon with bighest number and slash away", JRPGs are all about stats. Skill alone won't take you that far. This is arguably a shitty way of doing things, but it leaves the player the ability to have many different builds based on very different attributes, and not just " Sword or Magic".

Witcher 3 is a very good WRPG. Xeno is a very good both.
>>
>>321750527
You got any more?
>>
>>321750654
That reasoning indicates lack of experience in video games of RPG genre.
>>
>>321751232
It's true though.
>>
>>321750142
The monsters in Xenoblade actually do surprisingly more than you'd expect. You see them running around, lazing in shady areas, eating pig carcasses, drinking from the lake and so on. And as another anon mentioned, they disguise themselves as stuff and pop out at you. My favorite are the stick bugs that just look like weird trees.

I also like how you run into threats everywhere. It's really unsafe to just run about the map all nilly-willy.
>>
>>321751316
Only if you started playing games in 2011 or something like that. Not even 2006 or 2004, fucking 2011.
>>
>>321751338
I love how even in the starting area there are massive monsters that could kill you and not even notice but they don't fuck with you if you don't fuck with them.
>>
>>321751401
Not the anon who typed up the comparison, but I'm the one who said it's true. Games change through time and that's what WRPGs and JRPGs have turned into.
>>
>>321750527
Art direction and fidelity is so terrible in X.
>>
File: 1449901762918.jpg (33 KB, 534x379) Image search: [Google]
1449901762918.jpg
33 KB, 534x379
>>321748618
Have one
>>
>>321751401
I'll give you my lack of WRPG knowledge. I never played them then and I barely play them now.
As for JRPGs, what did I screw up there? Dark Souls is the only "J"RPGs I know that lets you use reflexes to finish the entire game with no stat bonuses from leveling/items
>>
>>321751573
If anything JRPG's and WRPG's merged into the same blob outside of lower budget titles.

Dragon Age: Oiliskinsition has very similar gameplay to xenoblade and also lacks "choices". The Witcher 2 was made by a Soulsdrone and The Witcher 3 combat system is more or less enhanced TW2 one. Final Fantasy XV doesn't look really stat heavy either.

And even then the niche titles can be complete opposite to those statements but that's another tale.

Generally speaking talking about differences between JRPGs and WRPG's is a "hey look I know less than you therefore I'm right" dickwaggling contest. WRPG's like Planescape: Torment borrowed a lot from JRPG's, Japanese release at least one Wizardry 5 clone yearly as well. The cross-inspiration between "sub genres" is long lasting and the dumbest shitposters who say
>has anime bullshit = JRPG, doesn't have anime bullshit = WRPG
sound the most coherent and the least self-contradicting, so you know that whole debate sucks dick.
>>
>>321748501
That looks like shit, sorry.
>>
>>321751575
That's maybe true for cities and buildings but the wilderness makes it one of the most visually impressive games right now. And that's really something considering the limitation of peasant-toaster hardware.
>>
>>321752005
Are you drunk or just fucking stupid
>>
>>321742082
nope, W3 is shit, downgraded shit that is... not seying xeno has better writing but xeno is 10000x funnier and better game..
>>
>>321750424
and that's only thing they do. the giant long neck thing only drink water and the crocodile and turtle things only hide and wait for surprise attack it feel lifeless. and combat is shit. i not gonna waste my time arguing with mindless nintendo fans over shitty mmo cooldown wait time system vs real time combat with dept and a lot planning before the fight(oil, bomb, potion. u always need to plan before hunt)
>>
>>321741970

Certainly not Xeno, since all you do in it is install probes, collect blue crystals and fight re-colored enemies in different sizes.
>>
File: muhskells.jpg (449 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
muhskells.jpg
449 KB, 1280x720
yall niggas just hating
>>
>>321752149
No, you're just too inexperienced with the genre to understand my point.
>>
>>321742629
huh ? especially combat... w3 its worst ever in rpg... xeno may look stupid but when you play you just feel how good it is and how much fun you can have with it.. many different weapons and builds, its pure fun to make your own combos and synergies etc... while in W3 you just press LMP over and over again...
>>
>>321752005
>Dragon Age: Oiliskinsition has very similar gameplay to xenoblade and also lacks "choices".
I don't know about Cisquisition but those "choices" only apply to the main story. Your choices affect the lives of everyone else outside of it. Besides, you can't have a "choose your own ending" RPG because most of the time the main story will just be in the realm of Mass Effect.

>Final Fantasy XV doesn't look really stat heavy either.
Games are becoming more and more casualized. I think that's what you mean.
>>
>>321743272
yeah but that combat part just made me realize its bait... almost anon almost
>>
>>321741970

>picking Xenoblade Censored X ever

Nope. The game was censored all over, the localization was shitty (changing Dolls to Skells is unforgivable, considering the battle theme lyrics in the US version mentions "Dolls") and it's pretty much an offline MMO in terms of quest design.
>>
>>321752194
I'm sorry but what, do Witcher 3 enemies walk in unpredictable patterns, have new conversations with the enemy at its side, has a 3 part meal, gets distracted by its thoughts, etc? Do they get tired of standing while your beard grows? Do they die of age?

No.
>>
>>321752005
What did Torment borrow from JRPGs?
>>
>>321752194
>real time combat with dept and a lot planning before the fight(oil, bomb, potion. u always need to plan before hunt)
Literally almost every recent AAA game to come out ever.
>TLOU, INFAMOUS, BEYOND TWO SOULS
>TOMB RAIDER, ASSASSIN'S CREED, UNCHARTED
>SKYRIM, WITCHER, BLOODBORNE, FALLOUT

Everything else is bait and I'm sad that you haven't played Xenoblade X yet.
>>
>>321752341
>I don't know about Cisquisition but those "choices" only apply to the main story. Your choices affect the lives of everyone else outside of it. Besides, you can't have a "choose your own ending" RPG because most of the time the main story will just be in the realm of Mass Effect.
But that's my exact point anon.
>Games are becoming more and more casualized. I think that's what you mean.
Not exactly.

It's obvious that for mass-appeal RPG games there's certain kind of audience. Just like there's certain kind of audience for shooters etc. Pissing off part of the audience by doing something distinct is passée, hence the homogenisation of games and genres(for instance - that's why Fallout 4 has voiced protagonist).
>>
>>321747728
why ppl that never played xeno dare to say anything about its combat ? go play you polisher 3 and keep on pressing 1 button till everything dies...
>>
>Xenoblade removes one costume
>/v/ riots for months, years, centuries

>Witcher 3 gets blatantly downgraded in the biggest case of false advertisement to ever hit video games
>/v/ raises a stink for maybe two weeks until the game releases, then they suck its dick

I know part of it is le console war fodder, but really, what gives?
>>
>>321752194
>real time combat with dept and a lot planning before the fight(oil, bomb, potion. u always need to plan before hunt)
Literally almost every recent AAA game to come out ever.
>TLOU, INFAMOUS, BEYOND TWO SOULS
>TOMB RAIDER, ASSASSIN'S CREED, UNCHARTED, SHADOW OF MORDOR, BATMA ARKHAM
>SKYRIM, WITCHER, BLOODBORNE, FALLOUT, DRAGON AGE

Everything else is bait and I'm sad that you haven't played Xenoblade X yet.
>>
>>321752498
Lots
Avellone was huge fan of Chrono Trigger, and did some final fantasy 7 cargo cult stuff as well(see those retarded spells that had 10 seconds long animations).
>>
>>321748501

>games hype up the Wild Hunt for 2 games
>the cutscenes in Witcher 3 imply the Wild Hunt are an unnatural group that you can't face in normal ways
>finally get to fight one of them
>it's exactly like every other battle in the game

So fucking boring.
>>
Can this retard using ellipses fuck off
>>
Fallout 4.
>>
>>321752598
>Console wars
Exactly. Everyone can play Witcher 3
>>
>>321752247
thanks bro, I had considered using eva colors on my skell too, but at least I know it looks like shit now
>>
>>321752598

Xenoblade X got heavily downgraded as well. Just watch the 2013 trailers (reveal and E3).
>>
>>321741970
>potato chronicles x better than GOTY
wow, nintentoddlers are really delusional.
>>
>>321752990
There's a difference between a trailer and gameplay. That was a trailer. Everything else was exactly the same
>>
>>321753169

They were gameplay trailers.
>>
>>321752135
Wilderness looks good, but I definetly wouldn't call it "one of the most visually impressive games right now"

Crank any modern game up on PC, and that shit looks last-gen.
It does look good though. Too bad the character models and animation looks incredibly low budget.
>>
>>321753263
Still trailers.
>>
>>321742123
Geralt does the same without a giant robot
>>
>>321748312
>game loaded with alcoholism, executions, terrorism, cultists, descriptions of torture and dismemberment, occasional swearing
Pretty sure they weren't aiming this at kids.
>>321752990
>muh lighting in a game where all lighting is time-sensitive, including in that scene
>>
>>321752194
No it's not. I was really surprised when that giant dino thing walked pass me. Well there was a mountain between it and me so I just saw his neck and back. Still looked impressive.
>>
>>321742629
You can disable most of the HUD from the settings menu. I turned off probably half of that shit.
>>
>>321750143
>someone has a differing opinion
>LE REDDIT XD!!!
eat shit and die
>>
>>321753524

Textures and frame rate were 10 times better in those 2013 gameplay trailers. People were saying that trailer proved the Wii U was as powerful as a PS4, or potentially even better.
>>
>>321753263
No they weren't. The only downgraded part in XCX was the doll piloting cutscene. People even compared the first trailer to release and the gameplay parts looked better.
>>
>>321753587
lol okay, I promise I don't remember your ancient bait and am super mad about it
>>
>>321753587
The framerate parts is bullshit and you know it. And the only reason people say that about graphics is because you can't see the real texture quality on a youtube video. Everything looks amazing when you are watching a 480p minimized video on youtube. Then you realize most artifacts were caused by shit textures
>>
File: sylvalum.jpg (253 KB, 710x399) Image search: [Google]
sylvalum.jpg
253 KB, 710x399
I like XCX's environments a lot more.
>>
>>321746919
You mean Fallout 3.5? "tell me lies"
>>
>>321752339
>>321752453
>>321752578
where did you even come from
>>
>>321746919
you are right. F4 is such turd that no game ever should be compared to it. we should declare it as the worst game in history of gaming.
>>
>>321752194
you've never played it I assume.

cause its not a rotation based system where you spam the best spell. You have to judge the right time to use your spell, whether you want to wait for the soul voice activation, or the next tier of that spell. You also have the overdrive system to get a third tier of that spell, with bonus effects.

The combat system is more in depth than any western rpg I've seen.
>>
Why is Witcher 3 always being compared?
Has it already became some milestone?
I bet the next year when all 2015 games are forgotten people would still say X game is much better than Witcher 3.
>>
>>321748618
>in any way insulting Toph
Faggot
>>
File: 1374903403021.gif (1009 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1374903403021.gif
1009 KB, 500x280
>mfw the combat sucks ass in both

Seriously, fuck open world games and their shithouse combat. Dragon's Dogma is the exception. Imagine if XCX had DD combat. Jesus Christ best game ever, but nope, stupid ass soul voice shit where you stand around like a dumbass who can't heal till the game rngs a soul voice.
>>
50 hours in XCX and I still haven't scratched the surface. I don't remember another rpg western or japanese with so much depth.
>>
>>321755130
This.

At the end of the day, Xenoblade will be the more memorable game.
>>
>>321742214
all Xenoblade Chronicles X was missing was a good story, and the worst part is that they totally could of made a fully fleshed out story, but instead they sacrificed 90% of potential story for affinity missions.
The game revolves around side quests more than story and that's why Xenoblade Chronicles X isn't as good as the original.
>>
>>321756225
X as a variable.
>>
>>321750424
The bestiary of X is VERY limited, there is probably only like 20 different monsters designs you will keep seeing accross the 5 continents.
Once you go past the OMG THAT MONSTER IS SO HUGE, OMG I THOUGHT THAT MONSTER WAS A ROCK/FLOWER you'll see you keep seeing them again, and again and again and again everywhere
>>
File: 1448337524048s.jpg (4 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
1448337524048s.jpg
4 KB, 124x125
>>321746919
>mfw looking back on fallout 4 after playing StarWars Battlefront EA, the true masterpiece of gaming.
>>
>>321750527
Why do all X webms use the same MC?
Whatever, post the one where she's cheering on depressed lin.
>>
>>321755751
>. Dragon's Dogma is the exception
it's really good, but it's so painful to have so few techniques
let's not even talk about the greatsword, 3 techniques
THREE damnit
>>
>>321756467
Definitely not just twenty. But sometimes enemies are so rare you only find them in 2 or 3 spots while Gexes, those spiders with the glowing sack underneath or flower things are everwhere.
>>
File: 1449771278448.jpg (21 KB, 422x316) Image search: [Google]
1449771278448.jpg
21 KB, 422x316
>>321750372
don't think you will miss to much.
i started with the third and while there are shitton of backstory the character glossary really helps you to get a general idea.
i think i will play the games in backward order now after finally getting into the series just because of being interested in the characters story from the previous games.
also don't let /v/ meems put you off from the game its one of the best game i played released from recent time and you can clearly see there was a lot of love put into it.
>>
>>321756467
It's definitely not as low as you are claiming, but yeah, I was disappointed in how often enemies were recycled across continents.
>>
>>321753517
Gerald sounds like a boring faggot.
>>
>>321756452
Whoops, I misread. Pretty understandable mistake, I think.

But you're right. Most modern games will be tossed aside in favor of the newest ones, Witcher 3 included. It won't have any historical impact in three years, let alone more.
>>
>>321756985
And X will? It's already forgotten in Japan
>>
>>321756980
just because your mother calls you that doesn't mean it is a nice thing to say
>>
>>321752247
why do you have 3 of the same? boring
>>
>>321757298
Since when is it not nice to call someone boring?

Okay, not nice nice, I can see that. But it's not really a bad thing, either? It's pretty neutral. I think most of our mothers would say we're boring.
>>
>>321756637
only one guy was bothered enough to make webms
>>
>>321756985
I doubt that either game will be remembered in three years time, desu.
>>
>>321748501
Whoahhh sooo craazyyy!! how did they do dat????? whoaaooaahahhh!!!!!
>>
>>321757673
and the faggot part?
>>
File: 1429120269152.jpg (23 KB, 170x175) Image search: [Google]
1429120269152.jpg
23 KB, 170x175
>tfw you really like XCX's combat
I know you're staring at cooldowns and soul shouts more often than not, but I still find it more engaging and intense than the majority of most turn based jrpg's, excluding maybe SMT and a handful of others. The fast-paced rhythm makes things really fun and satisfying, and there's a lot to react to while playing. My only complaint with XCX's combat is how little positioning matters and the lack of augments outside of crafting, as opposed to them dropping off of monsters. Difficulty is a little wonky but that's not too surprising with an open world game.

All the social side quests are fantastic too.
>dealing with a religious zealot that is poising water and sacrificing Ma-Non to summon the avatar of a god
>going to check on some workers turns into an Aliens-esque horror mission, egg-laying and all
>murder mysteries and doppelgangers
>setting up a sermon to help educate aliens reveals a bunch of xenophobes that are dead-set on murder, which leads into a literal debate, which reveals an even bigger puppet master working behind the scenes
>lots of different aliens that all feel distinct from one another

Kill/collect X are never something you should be actively doing though. You just accept them and complete while you're exploring or doing other things, and reap the free rewards.
>>
File: cute.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
cute.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>321756637
that anon's mim chan is cute.
>>
>>321757835
I don't think anybody in my family knows you, anon. It's okay to be gay in the current year but we really don't want to hear all the details, you know.
>>
>>321758047
no it's shit
>>
>>321757960
positioning does matter in terms of distance for melee arts/auto attacks to trigger and for arts like backslash to get a bonus if you're behind the enemy
>>
>>321757960
>how little positioning matters
Positioning is for optimizing damage especially early game. Augments carry you late game.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
>>321756046
This guy is 75 hours in, is level 32, and claims it sucks.
>>
>>321758281
this nigger hates all nintendo games except mario kart 8
>>
>>321758281
>75 hrs
>level 32

jesus how bad can you get?
>>
>>321757960
>, and there's a lot to react to while playing.
There isn't though. You just spam your rotation and wait for soul voices. XCX's combat shittiness becomes real apparent when you play online squad mission and skells are prohibited. What are you going to do when low on health and TP? I'll tell you, nothing.
>>
>>321757960
Personally I think I liked the original Xenoblade's combat more. The difference between arts felt more clear, as did buffs and debuffs. But most importantly, there was always someone with the most aggro. In XCX it feels like the monster just attacks the air and the whole party takes damage.
>>
>>321742629
Most of the HUD is redundant shit for people who just started. Once you take off that shit, you realize it's not complicated: it's MMO combat, except your movement and coordination is more important than looking up a guide and spamming skills on a flowchart.

Seriously, Boss fights and Uniques are everything good about MMO raids minus all the shitty parts.
>>
>>321746919
you reeled them in bro
>>
Xenoblade X has the best open world of any video game ever created. The design doesn't take a hit at all, it's seamless in execution, and EVERY part outside of the hub matters. Too bad its art direction and story are dogshit.
>>
>>321758281
he said it was by no means a bad game, he just said he was very disappointed because the original Xenoblade Chronicles was his top game of the previous generation.
>>
>>321750424
FUCK THOSE APES
>>
>>321758664
Sounds like you're more interested in art than games.
>>
>>321758879
but X is way better, is he a stupid gay fag or something?
>>
>>321758396
>he doesn't combo his arts
>he doesn't wait for double cooldowns
>he doesn't stack TP for infinite overdrive
Casuals, everyone.
>>
>>321741970

Both are terrible and have autistic fanbases.
>>
>>321754236
ikr... I wish he would... gtfo...
>>
>>321758879
Sounds like you watch this autistic faggot so tell me. Does he ever git gud in his games or is his spare time just dedicated to making videos criticizing companies and people related to vidya?

Because I don't think he's even tapped the normal quests based on what he said in his Xenoblade video.
>>
>>321758962
>It's art is shit, but it's good.
>You care more about art than games
What
>>
>>321759251
You're talking about art but not about what matters in a game, the game.
>>
>>321741970
i mean witcher 3 is the objectively better game, xenoblade might be the better choice if you're a weeb fag and or nintoddler who shitposts on /v/ all day.
>>
>>321756290
>could of

>could've
>>
Witcher 3 is better if you want "muh immersion" or "muh story".

If you like video games for the gameplay itself rather than the interactive movies and stories, Xenoblade X is better.
>>
>>321759556
There are no cute girls in Witcher 3, and it is more of an interactive narrative than a real game. Western games are pure shit.
>>
>>321759556
>underage console war babby opinion

Discarded. Here's the (you) you wanted, at least.
>>
>>321758082
yea i'm fine with you being gay. you are right no need for details.
>>
>>321758386
this

there's taking games slow and then there's being retarded
>>
>>321759829
>If you like video games for the gameplay itself
If you like video games for the gameplay itself you wouldn't play X either unless you really are into MMO shit and fetch quests forever
>>
>>321759829
The entire point of a RPG is the story you fucking faggot
>>
>>321760130
>responding that late with such a weak reply

Why even bother, man.
>>
>>321759845
I forget that shitheads like you actually exist
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 349x366) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 349x366
I haven't played XCX, but after about 60 hours in Witcher 3, doing every sidequest, gathering all the Witcher gear, playing the shit out of Gwent, and finally beating the main story I can honestly say it was an awful retrospective experience.

Never have I regreted the theoretical time I wasted on a video game as much as in relation to The Witcher 3. It unsatisfies you at every turn. You want good combat? Fuck you. Well maybe it gets better? FUCK YOU.

You want a good story? Fuck you. Well maybe it gets better? FUCK YOU.

The "game" shined in two relatively specific areas: Lighting and Dialogue.

The entire experience was a giant middle finger. Well fuck you too, Polacks. I mean they have the fucking nerve to market Cyberpunk 2077 goddamn AT LEAST 5 years out by saying "It's bigger than The Witcher 3". This is the gamer friendly company that is saving gaming apparently. Remember, they're your friends because they said so.

Fucking worse than EA.
>>
Witcher
>>
>>321760386
Is shitlord too played out now? Go back to tumblr.
>>
>>321749550
"A role-playing game"
"An Arr-Pee-Jee"
>>
>>321748501
>input for that combo: LMB [hold]
Also it looks like shit.
>>
>>321741970
Witcher 3 most likely.
I don't even know where I can get the other game, it's not on Steam and I don't remember seeing any commercials for it launching on PS4.
>>
Witcher 3 is a better game unless you love MMOS that are offline.

The combat sucks in both but it's the one edge I might give to Xenoblade other than that Xeno is shit and Witcher was pretty good. Neither were great though.
>>
File: Pizza Time.jpg (27 KB, 500x509) Image search: [Google]
Pizza Time.jpg
27 KB, 500x509
I have a decent number of hours in both.

The Witcher 3 is a much more polished experience with better presentation and more engaging story/subquests. (Something that's important in an RPG imo)

That being said, Xenoblades art direction (aside from the human character models) and overworld are incredible. I think the game suffers a bit from some janky gameplay out of combat and having some really obtuse mechanics that arn't really explained well unless you read the manual. The battle system is very fun and super tight once you get it down though.

They both have an issue with the whole "BIG HUGE WORLD, BUT NOTHING INTERESTING TO FIND IN IT!" syndrome and some of the non-story sidequests can get repetitive fast.

I like them both though.
>>
>>321761027
You're supposed to read the manual with every game. Why is it an issue to do that all of a sudden? You're the reason why games today are full of 2 hour long tutorials.
>>
>>321759348
>Entire second sentence is about how functional the overworld is.
>Third is "oh but story and art sucks"
>WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT ART THAT DOESNT MATTER
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>321761271
Why do you care about things other than the game in a game? To which degree was not specified, don't be so simple.
>>
>>321761372
>The degree was not specified
>"You care more about art than games"
I'm sorry for bringing up an element of this game at all I guess?
>>
>>321762027
Art is not an element of games, you're thinking of design. There is no art in games, do you know what art is? I don't think so. I wouldn't expect you to, to be quite honest with you, senpai.
>>
File: party hard.gif (1 MB, 726x406) Image search: [Google]
party hard.gif
1 MB, 726x406
>>321758386

>tfw that's my playtime but I'm level 37

I went absolutely fucking nuts with exploring right off the bat. I also was a super autist about combing for all available sidequests before going for the next story mission. I have a few more to do before I start chapter 8.

I have a feeling playing this way will burn me out before I get to 100% (especially with how easy skells make exploring), but right now I'm having a blast.
>>
They're both great games and I can completely understand prefering one over the other.
>>
Did anyone who even bought the Witcher 3 bothered reading the books our playing the other two Witchers? I tried going straight in when a friend of mine had it on his PS4 and I was lost as all hell and couldn't do it. Then just torrented all three and having a blast so far with one. I just don't understand how someone could play a heavily story based game like the Witcher and skip the first two, especially when the gameplay is pretty average.
>>
>>321742123
spot the reddit
>>
>>321762490
>I just don't understand how someone could play a heavily story based 'game'
FTFY
>>
>>321760351
>like no response at all
already out of ideas?
>>
>>321762969
your gay
>>
>>321762490
Mostly people who bit the "GIANT OPEN WORLD 200 HOURS OF STUFF TO DO" or saw the pretty graphics. I laugh at people who complain about how TW3 doesn't draw them in or how the story and characters bore them when they're jumping into the third of a trilogy and expecting to be compelled like that.

>>321760472
So you spend 60 hours on a game that didn't satisfy you, but didn't realize that 20 hours in?

>Fucking worse than EA.

You must be actually stupid to think this
>>
>>321741970
Witcher 3 is a hack&slash so Xenoblade X.
>>
>>321762178
>You care too much about art.
>Actually it's not art desu
This is some weak ass shitposting.
>>
File: image.png (86 KB, 264x240) Image search: [Google]
image.png
86 KB, 264x240
>>321763752
>Play it too much
>Lol how come you didn't realize sooner?

>Play it too little
>It gets better later, you just didn't give it a chance

Never change.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Retrospect+Definition
>>
>>321764661
What is ass shitposting? All shit comes from the anus, which Americans mistakenly call the ass. The ass is a mule. You mean to say arse. But it would be weird to say 'arse shitposting' none the less.
>>
Xenoblade X but it's very subjective because they do different things better than each other.

I care less about story and more about specific gameplay so I liked Xenoblade more but I loved both.

Not sure why people on /v/ are pitting these two games against one another. These are two of the best games this year, they should be looked upon with adoration rather than pitted against each other.
>>
File: white_knight_chronicles_lea.jpg (102 KB, 804x433) Image search: [Google]
white_knight_chronicles_lea.jpg
102 KB, 804x433
>>321741970
I dont get it. White knight chronicle did the same shitty mmo combat few years back and it got universally shit on, yet xenoblade x is geting a pass now for this garbage? I guess it's really is ok when Nintendo does it
>>
>>321748501
Boss, I'm sending down a choppe-

THIS IS GERALT

ARRIVING SHORTLY AT LZ
>>
>>321765342
Looks like you actually didn't play Xenoblade senpai.White Knight Chronicles is boring as fuck
>>
>>321752165
spot the filthy weeb
>>
>>321766961
>hating weebs on a weebsite
>>
I didn't play witcher, only saw it at my friend's place, but xcx is better because I like fantasy worlds, I don't like videogames that try to look real when our technology is too shit for it right now. Immersion is impossible in these games.
>>
File: StraightOuttaCompton.jpg (58 KB, 846x846) Image search: [Google]
StraightOuttaCompton.jpg
58 KB, 846x846
>>321746664
>tfw just played Morrowind for the first time this year
I agree my friend. And I played both games in the OP
>>
>>321767301
Fantasy worlds are the best when they're innovative. Western devs try too hard to copy the Lord of the Rings/D&D formula
>>
File: weiss.jpg (402 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
weiss.jpg
402 KB, 1280x720
POST ATTRACTIVE MIMS
>>
Witcher 3 kept me really invested for 100 hours, while I'm kinda desperate to finish X already after 60 hours. The sidequests in it are just glorified fetch quests (sometimes I wouldn't even call it glorified) and they're not even voice acted unless its an affinity mission (which somtimes require senseless grinding just to do). The writing is really bad too, I'm in the final stretch and I can count the number of interesting things that happened on one hand.
>>
>>321741970
Witcher 3 for better gameplay.
Xenoblade for the memes.
>>
>>321741970
If you want to compare in only based on the world design then X wins
>>
File: 1411234849370.png (280 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1411234849370.png
280 KB, 600x338
The combat in X is actually fun once you can permanently stay in Overclock

The combat in TW3 is never fun
>>
Once you figure out how all the mechanics of combat work in Xeno X and once you pick a class that you really like, the combat is leagues better than any other RPG this year
Its ridiculously intricate and has a lot of variability depending on how you shape your party's skills/arts/voices/weapons/etc.
>>
>>321742629
Witcher 3's combat is the main reason I couldn't finish it. Fucking awful.
>>
>>321741970
Witcher 3's side quests actually have some depth and emotion to them

>meet old man in skellige
>"Me son ran off with these Faroe hooligans to look for treasure in this abandoned castle, he hasn't come back"
>Son died, man on the verge of tears
>"I told him...nothing good ever comes from Faroe, I told him he'd have his time for adventures and glory soon..."
>>
>>321769340
Git Gud,
>>
>>321769338
>Its ridiculously intricate and has a lot of variability
Yeah no, once you hit post-game you are railroaded into a few broken builds that require a lot of farming
>>
If you want great combat and action play Witcher 3.
The combat in Xenobade is fucking awful.
>>
>>321769550
Maybe if you're a min/maxing faggot
Some people don't play games just for a powertrip and like to build their own character
>>
>>321769338
Ground combat was a good time but I fall asleep whenever I fight in my skell. I dont know who thought it was a good idea to make the camera fucking spaz out in cockpit/overdrive mode but it was a stupid thing to implement.
>>
File: 1418755034811.jpg (45 KB, 545x511) Image search: [Google]
1418755034811.jpg
45 KB, 545x511
>based pc master race western slavic GOTY GOAT game

or

>gook weebshit shit on Wii (fucking Wii)
>>
>>321769654
If you are going for high-level Tyrants there is no other way
>>
>>321769505
you're literally retarded
>>
Witcher 3 is ironically a better jRPG than Xenoblade.
>>
>>321769834
I beg to differ
My favorite part of these kinds of RPGs is taking shit down with my own style

Its usually leagues harder and requires a hell of a lot of attempts, but the payoff is great
>>
>>321763146
What about his gay? :^)
>>
>>321769947
You do understand that stuff like Pharsis hits you for 100 000 DMG
>>
>>321741970
Xeno X
>>
>>321741970
Xenoblade X no contest
>>
>>321770110
git gud nigga
you dont need to min max for this shit
>>
File: 1423059453357.gif (146 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
1423059453357.gif
146 KB, 300x375
>>321770339
I killed every Tyrant in the game and can kill Ygg 400 times before the timer runs out

But good luck with your special snowflake build
>>
I value gameplay over story so xeno X
Thread replies: 247
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.