[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: SHODAN_hires.jpg (46 KB, 385x414) Image search: [Google]
SHODAN_hires.jpg
46 KB, 385x414
Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

system shock thread
>>
>>321721476
>http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/25/9801434/system-shock-remake-first-look-art

the original is being remade by some small studio, its a start i suppose.
>>
>>321721476
best horror game of all time
>>
>>321721646
I hope they keep am option for the janky control scheme

It really won't be the same.
>>
>>321722176
I keep hearing that, but don't really see how/why. Friend gave me a copy and the "scary" just came off as "annoying" to me. It's still worlds better than that Bioshock mess they created afterwards, but nostalgia aside, SS2 is really only a mediocre game.
>>
>getting excited after seeing what they did to Ultima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLkX_s2euRk
>>
File: 1434235533860.jpg (594 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1434235533860.jpg
594 KB, 1508x1493
>>321722885
I suggest you go back there before things get ugly friend.
>>
>>321722695
you're right. it'll be better.
>>
>>321722885
>this is what neo/v/ will soon become
>>
>>321723174
I know what you mean, they WERE annoying as fuck

But the entire game felt scarier with them, you had to always be alert so you wouldn't be bumrushed by some suicide bots, because it would take you a minute to turn 180 degrees.
>>
>>321723217
>soon
>>
>>321723125
>>321723174
>>321723217
>ss2 shitters
>>
>>321723481
I loved 2, but 1 was 10x better

Spookier, too, honestly.
>>
File: Leviathan_Wakes_cover_(tie-in).jpg (464 KB, 1024x1602) Image search: [Google]
Leviathan_Wakes_cover_(tie-in).jpg
464 KB, 1024x1602
This book series has a really similar atmosphere to System Shock. I really recommend them
>>
>>321722976
No, seriously, what the fuck is this?
>>
>>321722885

You might have an issue getting into the ambiance of the game if you are a chronic alt-tabber and turn off the music. Otherwise you just can't appreciate the amazing sound design and that would make you a faggot.
>>
>>321723656
Awesome, thanks anon.
>>
>>321723681
early alpha stuff from ascendant
doesnt look like it will be anything like the UU games...
just go play arx instead
>>
>>321723125
God I hate Reddit. Not even the people, just the format of the site.

But seriously. SS2 and Deus Ex fall into the same category for me. I didn't like them when they were knew, they got huge, I got talked into giving them a 2nd chance, they held up to exactly where I remember them being when they were new... what's the big deal? Hell, Red Faction has less fanboys and did more. The original Geomod system is still far ahead of what's in most games.
>>
File: AAAAA.jpg (968 KB, 1084x1027) Image search: [Google]
AAAAA.jpg
968 KB, 1084x1027
>>321722885
>Great RPG elements that let you do shit like become so fast that you're basically sliding, and slamming into walls hurts you.
>Great atmosphere.
>Really good, intuitive interface.
>Cool story.
>One of the most influential fucking games of all time.
>Just mediocre.
>>
>>321723889

You don't pay attention to good things in videogames and fixate on dumb shit because you're autism, we get it

Nobody who doesn't enjoy Deus Ex really knows why it's good because it completely flies over their heads.
>>
>>321723948
>Great RPG elements
I'll give the the RPG elements are well set.

>Great atmosphere
I've never been able to give it that. Felt too sterile. Even in a destroyed space station, it felt too clean, like someone went around polishing the debris. The monsters run/wobble at you and slam into you but I never found them scary, and I can't even say that's a graphical issue. The original DOS "Alone in the Dark" was fucking TERRIFYING.

>Interface
I can't really complain about it. The default controls were complete shit, but they gave you the option of custom bindings. Good for them. Thumbs up.

>Cool story
Couldn't really get into it. I wasn't engrossed by the characters, monsters, or setting.

>One of the most influential games of all time
to the minds and lives of those who played it while 9/10 of the world never heard of it. I'd say this was as influential on the world as Spidersoft's Exile series. Ever heard of it? Exactly.
>>
>>321724295
Saying "it flies over their heads" while not being able to define what "it" is doesn't help your case. I'm actually trying to see what others see in this. Honestly, what killed Deus Ex for me was the unbearable fucking loading they seemed to put randomly through out levels. I'd regularly get caught in firefights where I'd move back and forth across a loading line and have to just sit and wait while it loaded and take 2-3 free hits because AIs dont' need to deal with the loading affecting their attention or aim.
>>
>>321723948
>rpg elements
this would be good if they didnt just give you modules at random seemingly random points but instead let you track them down more and a lot of it is just useless crap
>interface
its shit, ss1 was much better

the shootan was mediocre its not quite fair to compare it to other fps but it really did tiptoe across that line
the atmosphere story etc was good until you get onto the other ship then the levels just go to shit ss2 shitters won't admit this though
also the whole game holds your hand like a retard beginning to end
>>
>>321724592

>getting into firefights
>in deus ex
>in the parts where levels change nonetheless

Oh shit nigger what the fuck are you doing
>>
>>321724592
>Firefights
>Deus Ex

are you mentally handicapped
>>
File: 0v3g6p5.png (289 KB, 454x442) Image search: [Google]
0v3g6p5.png
289 KB, 454x442
>>321722885
yeah fuck you, i played it for the first time this year..never played any other shock games

Getting to the Garden for the first time had me turning on lights and shutting off the game

that fucking area was horrifying
>>
>>321721476
"NAH"
>>
>>321725050
>>321725123
Get seen. Get shot at.

What the fuck do you guys do in that situation? Apparently "shoot them" is full blown retarded, so honestly. You're being shot at in a videogame. What do you do?
>>
>>321725123

>Deus Ex is a great game because you can play how you want

>How dare you play how you want!

It's not like those fuckers would let me live if they saw me, why should I be nice to them?
>>
>>321725529

Escape

Hide

Pick people off silently

It's a stealth game, i was just shit talking but wow, you actually don't get it
>>
>>321725809
Literally discussing one of the first enemies in the game. Snuck up on him. He didn't die from being shot, he turned and shot at me, others came, I retreated back to the docks where we started while fighting them.

And people call me retarded? Literally what you're telling me should be done.
>>
>>321722976
https://youtu.be/edMlwffFfXk
So, apparently the narrator won't chime in during the actual game.
THANK FUCK. GAME IS SAVED.
>>
>>321725808
Exactly. They had me wondering if "nostalgia" was now classified under the same umbrella diagnosis as Autism.
>>
>>321726059

Use the prod

You can't knife and headshot right away in this game, you need to level
>>
>>321724637
I'm the guy you replied to, and I do admit that the atmosphere takes a nosedive. Things get too chaotic at the end, so you don't have time to brood and be scared of things coming.
>>
>>321725809
>It's a stealth game
>Aggressive Defense System
>>
>>321726584
I didn't get scared by the stuff at the beginning either though, and the stumbling slap attack most of the starting guys used wasn't exactly dangerous. Let them come, moan, step left as they swat at you and run by, hit them, step left, hit them, step left, kill them. It was just so clockwork.

>>321726345
Ok, so after finding out that shooting someone in the head wouldn't kill them, I was supposed to just assume that a stun baton would? Because, by then I was dealing with the firefight brought up by things I couldn't sneak past.

Regardless, wtf was with the position of the loading areas? Could they not have just put them at doors or something? I remember running over one in the middle of a court yard full of assholes several times.

I won't even go and say, "Deus Ex was crap". Because, in all honesty, I feel that's unfair. I will say that Deus Ex does not and never has lived up the the hype though and with a little play-testing or having the devs actually listen to their play-testers could have made it an amazing game.
>>
>>321727179

Headshots always kill, but your accuracy is basically null if you didnt train that skill. Harsh RPG systems always get shat on by people who are not used to true roleplaying, like Morrowind.
>>
>>321727571
Oh now Morrowind, there's a game that doesn't get enough love these days. I don't see why each installment since has given you less and less freedom in a more and more generic environment (medieval europe) and it's getting more popular NOW. Morrowind was a work of art.
>>
>>321721476
Fuck yeah. Am looking forward. I would be OK with 1:1 copy.
SS1 was genuinely creepy
>>
File: depa.png (1 MB, 1133x549) Image search: [Google]
depa.png
1 MB, 1133x549
>>321721476

My weird game hope that will never come true is for the looking glass guys to make a Star Wars game with the same design philosophy as Ultima underworld and System Shock after they're done with ascension and SS3
>>
B-b-bump
>>
File: denton.png (268 KB, 432x454) Image search: [Google]
denton.png
268 KB, 432x454
>>321728103

Only if Jedi was the class that was OP late game but hard as fuck early on
>>
>>321728103
I'm sorry to ruin your hope but SS3 will never come out.
Its rights are owned by an insurance company.
>>
>>321730257

NOT ANYMORE

http://othersidetease.com/sss.php
>>
>>321730474
They'll never live up to expectations
>>
>>321731040
that just depends on your expectations, anon
>>
page 10 bump
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.