[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
attempt 2 at talking about doom so when people talk about doomguy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: mood.png (334 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mood.png
334 KB, 1920x1080
attempt 2 at talking about doom

so when people talk about doomguy in character faceoffs (not that I want to get into one of those shitfests) they say that when he's killed he will just fight his way out of hell and come back or some such, and it's commonly accepted that he died and then fought his way out of hell in the games. but from what I remember and even just saw on replay, the game is set to ensure you don't die on that sequence and the little text sequence after that room doesn't talk about you dying or anything. I've heard people say that carmack confirmed he died and I've heard people say it was just designed to be like one of those rooms where you grab the key and fight shit tons of enemies so he never really dies. is there a definitive answer and can we have a doom thread PLEASE
>>
damn near impossible to talk about video games without spouting some attention grabbing shitposting these days I guess.
>>
>>321717015
you don't technically die at the end of E1 it just puts you in an unwinable situation and when your health drops below a certain point the level ends
for the sake of the story doomguy dies but because hes such a badass he gets sent to hell and then proceeds to fight his way out of hell
don't take it too seriously
>>
Why do you care so much about the story of the first two Doom games?
>>
>>321718057
I'm just trying to get people to talk about doom brudda, but since you replied. is there anything that makes it official that "doomguy died", because people sure like to throw that out in elementary school level arguments about whos army man is stronger.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (153 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
153 KB, 1920x1080
I thought the end of E1 was supposed to be like the what the teleporters in Doom 3 do.
>>
>>321718206
Read
>>321718246
Threads feel so premade lately so i just wanted to throw some doom discussion out there while i had a trip through the games again.

Also its more fun than i remembered.
>>
>>321718252
it's been longer since I've played doom 3 than the last time I replayed the original, mind refreshing me on what they do?
>>
>>321718495

Basically just a lot of screaming and flashing and "what the fuck is going on" spiral flesh walls between stepping into one and exiting.

Doom 1 would basically be the same if they cut out the whole having to manually select the next episode thing and dumped you straight into E2M1.
>>
File: Screenshot_Doom_20151228_154327.png (112 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_Doom_20151228_154327.png
112 KB, 1280x960
>>321718246
>>
>>321718930
it says you are on the shores of hell but it doesn't explicitly tell you that he was killed. I know it's nitpicking but I've heard people suggest it was just one of those "walk in to room surrounded by bullshit" situations
>>321718875
makes enough sense
>>
Well it was better than last thread but i guess without da memes and shitposting my thread never stood a chance
>>
>>321717015
You want a Doom thread? I'll give you a fucking Doom thread.

How's everyone liking Brutal Doom v20b?
>>
>>321719351
>It's not supposed to end this way!
He's dead, Jim.
>>
>>321720451
ah, I did overlook that, well I'll leave it at CHANCES ARE at the very least since you could say someone says "it's not supposed to end this way" before fighting out of a bad situation from an action movie standpoint because lets face it, doom is more action than horror.
>>
>>321720421
people seem to have an issue with brutal doom though I've never played it. what's the deal?
>>
>>321719351
I guess it's just up to whatever you want to believe then.

>>321720291
You could always try the Doom thread on /vr/ if you haven't already. /v/ isn't a great place to discuss any Doom games, unfortunately.
>>
>>321720752
I had heard carmack had made a statement at somepoint so I was wondering if he ever said anything as far as that's concerned

and yeah, it used to be a good place though, people just make threads based on what gets them the most (you)s these days, I figured this board could use just a good old video game thread.
>>
>>321717015
I've never seen it as dying. The episode is triggered to end before you run out of health. You have to detonate a rocket in your own face to die.

You step into the teleporter, shit gets a bit confusing, but you end up in the Deimos moonbase which happens to be in Hell but you don't know that yet.

Honestly I always thought you just teleported into a bad spot and brutalised your way out because you're the fucken Doomguy.
>>
>>321720973
this is the impression it gave me after just going through it to be honest. the game is coded to keep you from dying and youve been surrounded in a dark room before. It doesn't REALLY matter of course but It gave me the impression that you didn't die.
>>
>>321717015
if you play doom 1 again, at the part your talking about, you do actually die, you get the death sound and then it cuts to the you win screen.
>>321720752
except for the fact that doom is literally one of three games that /v/ actually talks about and dosen't make 300 shitposts per thread.
>>
>>321721340
>you win screen
it just gave me
>>321718930
>>
>>321721473
that is the you win screen.
>>
>>321721572
>>321721473
well then I do remember the sequence since I just played through it but I must have missed the death sound. I guess I'll pull up a video of that part.

i'm just trying to stir up video game discussion here
>>
>>321720750
Personally I have nothing against BD even if I don't like it. People who claim that BD is essential and is superior to vanilla make me mad though. Also, check it out already
>>
>>321721906
desu i can't remember a time that i went through vanilla doom 1 and didn't use the rocket launcher in that small room, so you might be correct. Regardless though if carmack is saying you die, i'm pretty sure you die.
>unrelated
anyone play some good wads recently? I just started up touhou doom, even though i dislike weebshit the gameplay is pretty solid.
>>
>>321720750
it's an inferior version of other gore/gameplay mods. Pretty much it's babys first wad, which makes alot of people in the community get aggravated when people new to wads come in spewing that brutal doom is the best thing ever, which alot of people did when it first got popular. Now most of those people have looked in to other wads or fucked off so it's not really an issue liking brutal anymore.
>>
>>321722150
forgot my video, skip to like 4:30 or so for the best boss in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt5o-9huYGI
>>
>>321722150
it's been a while since I loaded up any wad that wasn't doom. I may see if anyone is still playing mega man on it some time.
>>
>>321721340
>you do actually die, you get the death sound
Usually the map will end before that happens though. You CAN die in there, especially if rockets have anything to say about it, but it you stand still and just let the monsters damage you usually it ends before you reach 0 health.
>>
>>321717015
I haven't played DOOM in years, but if I recall correctly at the end of episode one you are forcibly killed, and then the end text talks about your body being ripped apart with you waking in Hell or some shit. Take note I didn't know that John Carmack had to confirm that he died, so even if my info is wrong, he very clearly died to anyone that was paying attention to the end text.
>>
Pretty sure you don't die. E1 is one one of the Mars moons and E2 is on the second one, then in E3 you enter Hell proper. At least how I remember it.
>>
>>321723275
2nd mars moon is already part of hell senpai.
>>
Hold on now how do video game character battles even work?

In a video game you try, fail, and try again until you beat a stage or solve a puzzle or slay a boss. In most games if failure is death, and if in most games if the player character survives to the end, is the implication that most given characters just never die no matter what is thrown against them? Player skill is a huge factor since in some games you never see what the script (that is to say, when you are not in control) considers to be the character's competency.

Am I to believe that it just cancels out and you compare muscle to muscle? Because that's boring and is a spit into the face of what victory and defeat mean and how you achieve them in a video game, and that's why you would care to compared them in the first place!
>>
At the end of episode 1 you're teleported to a dark box with a bunch of enemies, a damaging floor and a script that disables cheats. You don't technically die because then they'd need to script in a special exception for that level. Rather they just had a check for location and <health level.

Storywise, Doomguy dies. That's why the scenes change so much;

>Episode 1 - Human science base on Mars.
Computer consoles - Red buttons.
Mechanical doors - Metal walls
Toxic waste - Water
Skybox = Grey sky with mountains.
>Episode 2 - Corrupted Human science based floating above Hell.
Computer consoles - Red buttons - Lions head.
Mechanical/Lion doors - Red brick
Toxic waste - Blood
Skybox = Red sky with brown mountains.
>Episode 3 - Hell itself.
Eyes - Skulls
Skull doors - Spine walls.
Blood - Lava
Skybox = Red sky with dark red pillars.
>>
>>321724151
Based on popularity.
>>
>>321724151
I'm pretty sure it's like comparing superheroes. You try to find reference points (DOOMguy can carry a fuckload of weapons, can punch a pinkie to death and how big and tough are those, etc) that you can related to the different games and try to just argue who wins.

like for example, doomguy would kick the fucking piss out of master chief.
>>
>>321717015
doomguy wins every character faceoff because he's just a face.

Q.E.D
>>
>>321724151
it usually just comes down to comparing accomplishments to see what feats make one sound stronger than the other. or sometimes it just devolves into
>>321724616
>>
>>321724780
no he loses
>take away the face
>no character left
>>
>>321717015
>character faceoffs

You mean like those death battle videos? Those are dumb as hell.
>>
>>321725054
his face is always in the bottom-middle of the screen. No monster can attack him there. He is invincible.

Only sometimes will the player accidentally spill their strawberry jam on him during play.
>>
Why would Mr. Doom go to Hell when he dies when he's a righteous soul fighting to save humanity?
>>
>>321725316
death battle is specifically bad, but I was just talking about how people get into arguments about who's stronger and they quote "doomguy will just fight his way out of death everytime you kill him" which has some issues considering even the fact that this is a video game that has it's own logic, it just doesn't match up.
>>
>>321725536
doomguy wasn't baptized
>>
>>321725536
he said a swear word once.
>>
>>321725536
Because they played dirty and ultimately, you always need to go to the enemy's turf to end them. At least when they're pure evil.

That portal at the end of Episode 1 took him to the Deimos facility, which got pulled into Hell. Episode 2's ending has him rappelling down the side into Hell itself.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.