[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else getting really tired of open world games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: openworld.jpg (41 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
openworld.jpg
41 KB, 500x290
Anyone else getting really tired of open world games?
>>
Anyone else getting really tired of bad open world games?
>>
>>321708963
This.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is an open world game and it makes generic 'cities/islands' open worlds look like a fucking joke.
>>
Open world has become something that people now expect from games given you have to shell out 60 dollars for it.
>>
Not really senpai
>>
Depends on the game
>>
>>321708963
I just want to fucking enter buildings and shit. Even if it's just a couple.
>>
Lazy devs stop shilling your linear shit please
>>
>>321708435
No. You're a literal cuckold if you want less freedom in a game.
>>
>>321709309
If people wrote a letter *detailing* what they want in an open world game and maybe got some 100sK people to sign it, you think they might change?
>>
people who make shit games have realised it's a thing people want, so they put radio towers and collectible garbage everywhere because they think it counts
they end up being games where you can travel around and do what you want, but only from a short list of boring things they've prepared for you

so like the other guy, I'm getting really tired of just bad games, fake open world or not
>>
>>321709374
See>>321709309
>>
>>321709374
Good open world is great, but lots of games nowadays are focusing on a halfass open world aspect just to be open world.

MGSV is a huge example. Being open world didn't add anything and even made missions really samey.
>>
>>321708435
>open world games
>still having borders
>>
>>321709374
>freedom means getting to choose which of the bazillion forgettable, menial tasks to do next
Gotta get those flags, anon.
>>
No, why would I?
>>
>>321709581
>can't read
>>
>>321709480
Depends on the dev
>>
>>321709660
>he denies that open world games have more freedom
Gotta get that carrot on a stick, linearfag.
>>
>>321708435
Absolutely.
When fucking Metal Gear of all games went "open world" I had my fill.

I'm ready for a more structured experience. Something that has a general direction, but a bit of leeway. Like Final fantasy 8,9,10, etc.
>>
>>321709621
I don't know if open world is a positive or a negative in MGSV. It sure added to the areas world feeling more cohesive and believable, but during missions the game would revert to the same open world hypocrisy of other games - open during freeroam, borders during story-relevant missions.
>>
Personally yes. I kind of miss narrative driven games. I don't have to live out some existence through some vessel which is supposed to be me in every game. Sometimes I just want to hear/play a characters story, I don't have to agree with what they do, but I want to be excited to see what they do next.

Open world loses sight of this a good bit of the time. But that's just me. I eagerly await being called a cuck because I like to be told a story that someone else came up with instead of making my own with some poorly fleshed out world, narrative, and characters.
>>
>>321710053
Your freedom doesn't mean anything in the long run if there is nothing substantial to do. Other people will have fun while you will collect flags.
>>
Non-linear segments like Stalker is superior to pure open world.
>>
>>321710067
I agree, no point on making a game where you spend 90% of the time roaming around until you find a linear mission to play

Making non-linear games is easy, most nintendo 64 games were non-linear, what makes it so hard to make them like that 20 years later?
>>
Yes, if only because the building these days are mostly fancy terrain with fewer interiors. I am looking at you GTA. I want to just hang out in a restaurant or coffee store in GTA Online.
>>
No, I like open world but the problem is with the GTA style mission/quest system. Find a different way to set up gameplay.
>>
>>321708435
No, I"m tired of "open world" cities.

Shit like GTA, Need for Speed, etc... games where 90% of the map is a city.

You couldn't get tired of open world games if they were as varied and intersting as the real world, but designers being the lazy self-absorbed entitled shits that they are will always slap some buildings inside a skybox and call it open world because they're too lazy to develop custom urban environments.
>>
>>321710332
>you will collect flags
See, retard, the thing about optional content is that it's optional, and in an open world you choose to do what you want next. If I want to collect flags I'll do it, if I want to do side missions I'll do them, if I only want to do story missions then that's what I'll do, while you're forced on that one path with no alternatives.
>>
>>321710642
In a game that offers a plethora of everything, all those things tend to be derivative and shit. You're literally choosing what bores you to death. If that's all it takes to make you happy, don't let me keep ya.
>>
File: Neue Bitmap.png (265 KB, 700x791) Image search: [Google]
Neue Bitmap.png
265 KB, 700x791
>>321709280
Depends on the Company Anon
>>
>>321710953
Good thing I'm not bored if I play a good open world game. Your argument is that open world is inherently bad because some open world games are half assed. Fucking stupid.
>>
>>321711149
Hi germany
>>
>>321711579
? there's nothing muslim about his post
>>
If there's more than the typical quota of limited mechanics we seem to get in most open world games there wouldn't be an issue. The gameplay concepts need to justify the open world. This typically isn't the case
>>
>>321711401
>a good open world game
Like what?
>>
>>321708435
I was until XCX came out. >>321709064 is right. That game is how you do an open-world correctly, with exploration always being at the first and foremost.
>>
im tired of open worlds like gta, just cause, and saints row

games where you CANT ENTER A FUCKING BUILDING

games like fallout or tes can keep coming
>>
>>321712802
So you can have more shitty writing and lazy as hell kill/fetch quest where your only interaction is killing the same enemy over and over?
>>
>>321708435
Why not both?

I like games where it's linear enough that there aren't "collect 500 flags" mini games, like Mad Max that required you to spam menial busy work in order to level up to do certain quests, and I like it when it's open ended so that you have multiple ways of approaching things.

If it's a 3rd person hack n slash or 3rd person action oriented game ala dark souls/dragons dogma, I like my game to be open yet linear at the same time.
>>
>>321712802
>gta
It's called "grand theft auto" and not "grand theft buildings" for a reason
>>
I'd rather a linear game with lots of Technology and technical freedom than an open game where the only thing to do is shoot and radiant quest.
>>
>>321708435
I little bit.
I had no fucking clue what I was getting into when I started playing Witcher 3.
I really like the game overall, but there is nothing more annoying than accidentally wandering into a mob that's ten levels above you and getting instakilled.
>>
>>321708435
Its just evolution anon. Games are evolving and getting better with time, maybe you should try that too?
>>
>>321713209
>annoying
That's half the fun you fucking pleb. Dangerous exploration + returning when higher level to fuck shit up.
>>
>>321713131
Not him but it's supposed to be an entire city, a crime game. Imagine being able to rob any house you want and losing the cops by running through houses and neighborhoods like the original point break. Sounds amazing to me
>>
Nope, I want more.
But I want improvement in the genre.
>>
>>321713321
It's a huge waste of my time and makes no sense in the context of the story.
Geralt has been doing this shit for years, he shouldn't be getting annihilated by a recolor of some monster he killed a few scenes back.
Also, I don't recall having this issue in the first two games.
I do remember having some tough battles back in witcher 2, but nothing were I was like "oh shit, better spend the next hour grinding until I can kill this thing!"
That's pretty much the opposite of fun.
>>
File: trollhunterposter-picsay.jpg (60 KB, 432x640) Image search: [Google]
trollhunterposter-picsay.jpg
60 KB, 432x640
>>321713854
Holy shit this makes a ton of sense
>>
open world fags are cancer. always complaining when a game isnt open world. you can keep your shitty repetitive games stop complaining about the good games not being shit
>>
File: galaxy-force-ii.png (63 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
galaxy-force-ii.png
63 KB, 320x224
>>321709374
I want a more tightly designed game. The whole situation where devs spend all the budget making a big, open world and then not having good enough gameplay to back it up needs to die.

also, I kind of want to go into buildings and there's very few that really let you

As for
>No. You're a literal cuckold if you want less freedom in a game.
I kind of miss the sort of really polished, tight, arcade-style games that used to be the norm. Most open-world games completely lack that sort of polish, the sort of thing you'd get from late-80s/early-90s arcade Sega (remember all the Super Scaler games, where they'd make everything in 3D out of sprites stacked toward the screen like a deck of cards? it looked amazing from the one angle you saw everything at (far better than actual polygon 3D did for years), even if you couldn't move the camera from that path at all).

there's almost nothing like that on the market these days
last game I remember like that was Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
>>
>>321708435
The only good open world games are ones that let you actually enter buildings. I'd rather have a small world with small towns like most Beth games than a giant one with next to no interiors like Just Cause 2.
>>
>>321709621
What's a good open world then?
>>
The last open world games I played are Skyrim and GTA 5.
>>
>>321712416
Definitely.
Too many open-world games are check-lists as opposed to worlds that you want to explore.
>>
>>321714323
Pick any Stalker
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.