[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>game has weapon durability
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: disgust.jpg (46 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46 KB, 620x400
>game has weapon durability
>>
what's wrong with weapon durability
not casual enough for you?
>>
Anyone who thinks the removal of weapon durability is a negative is a fucking moron.
>>
That shit was cool and coherent in Far Cry 2.
>>
>>321676248
Weapon durability very rarely adds anything to a game other than tediousness.

I say rarely, but I can't actually think of a single game that does it right.
>>
File: 185863460158057.jpg (27 KB, 429x395) Image search: [Google]
185863460158057.jpg
27 KB, 429x395
>game has crafting system
>it sucks dick and is only put in to make you fetch materials and increase the 'content' in the game
>>
All weapon durability does is force you to think on your feet and actually use the variety offered to you instead of using one perfect gun the entire game after one point. It's fine, as long as the game offers you enough resources to keep your gun at 100% if you really, really want it.
>>
Is da video game too hawd for da babby?
>>
>>321676474
Is writing correct English too hard for the underage? You have to be 18+ to post on 4chan, faggot.
>>
Weapon durability is okay if you can't easily go back and restock on weapons so you have to be smart with what weapons you use. In every other game though, it's completely pointless.
>>
>>321676248
>>321676474
>pointless tedium is hard
>>
>>321676778
>managing resources is pointless tedium
>>
>>321676427
I disagree, I think having to maintain your weapon is a neat mechanic. It grows on you. It also offers some neat balance options where you can give the player a weapon with relatively common ammo and exceptional performance, but it falls apart so quickly that you better be stocked up on repair kits and similar weapons if you want to use it. Really, NV did this great. FO3 has kind of a patch-fix in the alien epoxy offered after mothership zeta, too.

Like compare the operation of the Alien Blaster from Fallout 3 to 4. really strong, efficient easter egg weapon with the main weakneses being low durability and permanently limited ammo. With durability gone in 4, hey had to cripple it to balance it. There's no goddamn reason to use the Alien Blaster in 4, it's an awful weapon.

Having your gun just literally explode in your hands is retarded with no way to fix it is retarded, though.
>>
>>321676778
Fuck off, casual
>>
>>321676427

Older Korean MMOs did it right whereby the max durability would decay over time until eventually the item becomes worthless. Does wonders for the economy.
>>
>>321676112
I liked him in Incredible Hulk.
>>
>>321676350
the single strong point of farcry 2

Jesus i hate that game
>>
>>321676881
OP has a point you know. In games like Morrowind, weapon durability is just a pain in the ass to manage and all it does is force you to have tons of hammers take up precious space in your inventory.
>>
Scraping Spear is great in Demon's Souls.
>>
>>321676429
>variety of weapon upgrades
>anything besides more damage is shit
>>
what was the point of adding that in witcher 3?
>>
>>321677320
The butthurt caused by that thing was amazing, I wish the acid bombs in DS2 actually did something
>>
>>321677018
Does that actually work out, or does it just piss people off?
>>
>>321676881
For most games repairing durability is pretty damn pointless.
>D2
>Need to repair equipment
>Just get back to town and be done with it in less that a second.
Whoop the fucking whoo, how fucking exiting, if they are going to make it a mechanic, at least they could make it relevant.
Also
>Managing Oxygen in MHTri/3u
The most pointless mechanic in gaming, ever.
>>
File: 1450564103283.png (41 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
1450564103283.png
41 KB, 256x384
OP, Please get stabbed and gutted alive by Mexicans then thrown into a bathtub of acid and dissolved.
>>
>>321678173

It means everything retains value including lower tier items. The top end weapons become status symbols, which is a good thing in a PvP game where you can drop equipped items if you're unlucky.
>>
>>321676881
except that hammers/repair kits are never hard to come by. they just waste inv space or force you to have to find a repair station usually when you're in the middle of a dungeon. "Managing" a weapon is just a chore that requires no thought or skill.

Also
>guns needing repair kits
>>
>>321676112
would only be good if there was no numeric indicator on such stuff. You would have to evaluate condition of weapon from its visual presentation.
>>
>>321676112
If you're talking souls made by team A, you can ignore weapon durability for the majority of the game with the exception of Katanas and a few other ones that break easily.
>>
>>321677018
One Korean MMO I played back in the day had the best items in the game destroy themselves when you died, so you'd have to have a bunch stored up in your bank for inevitable deaths. This was balanced by these items being pretty common, so therefore cheap. The items that didn't break on death were harder to get, and worth a lot more, but gave far inferior stats.

So you had the choice of being a min/maxer and having death be a big deal, or be a far inferior character, but have death be a slap on the wrist. Kept the economy going quite nicely.
>>
>>321676112
>he thinks picking up a random weapon should work for an extended amount of time regardless of the previous condition of it
>>
>>321679708
Wasnt this mechanic in Diablo? Not completely sure.
But if this was in wow, then id be completely happy.
>>
>>321676112
>game makes you read

if i wanted to read boring nerd shit i would read a book
>>
I really hate durability systems, 99% of the time they're completely pointless and add absolutely nothing to the game, they just detract from it by making you have to constantly waste your time and currency by constantly returning to a repair station/blacksmith/vendor whatever.

It's easier to deal with when it's not too bad, a good example i can think of is DS1 was not too awful, still pointless but it wasn't bad. Then in DS2 they changed it and it became nothing but a hassle. The durability system in DS2 is completely pointless and only makes a shit game even worse, fuck that retarded system.

It was pointless in Witcher 3 too because your shit broke too often, you constantly had to repair. It's not fun when you have to pop an item or return to a blacksmith after every 2 quests, it's just annoying.
>>
Durability systems are only good when two factors are in play

A) they're merely part of a much wider crafting and enhancing system with a lot of depth and choice

B) They don't make your weapons feel like paper and break after one or two swings/shots
>>
>>321681872
There are ethereal items in Diablo that are stronger than normal gear, but they can't be repaired. Sometimes they have self repair or indestructible stats but that's it
>>
File: 136703.png (103 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
136703.png
103 KB, 700x700
>>321683414
>They don't make your weapons feel like paper and break after one or two swings/shots

>mfw playing Dark Cloud
>>
>>321676427
OSRS does durability right (toxic blowpipe, barrows armor)
>>
File: 1355478601467.gif (1007 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1355478601467.gif
1007 KB, 320x240
>>321676112
>I'm watching this on netflix right now, see OP pic
>>
File: 354.png (8 KB, 236x243) Image search: [Google]
354.png
8 KB, 236x243
>normal enemies level-scale
>bosses don't
>have to choose which I want to rape my anus, bosses I'm not leveled up enough for, or uncomfortably-high-level mooks
>>
Bloodborne's weapon durability is really dumb and it only feels like it's there so that Souls babbies don't cry
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.