[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15
File: fallout.jpg (73 KB, 614x284) Image search: [Google]
fallout.jpg
73 KB, 614x284
What went right?
>>
>buzzfeed
KEK
>>
Owned since Autumn sale and only played for the first time yesterday.
That fucking UI is making me consider quitting dear lord.
>>
>>321635681
they bought reviews which hyped people up
>>
>>321635930
I quit after I explored 60% of the gameworld and found not a single quest that was not either kill all in this area or find this item in a place you already explored. Equipping armor pieces is a fucking pain in the ass too because no compare screen.
>>
I just got word of another settlement that needs our help.
>>
>>321635681
The Power Armors do qualify somewhat.

Compared to the ones in Fallout 3, the ones in 4 actually make you feel like a walking tank.

The rest of the game is Fallout in name only.
>>
I've realized something, normie game reviewers never finish games.

MGSV had no ending and Fallout 4's ending was horrendous, yet you never hear about this from game reviewers.

All you have to do is make the first few hours of a game promising and you'll get near 10/10 scores, the ending could just be naked Germans masturbating yelling "Heil Hitler" while stomping on puppies and that would never make it into the review. In fact, your game could win GOTY awards because normies never get to see that ending.
>>
>>321636271
as someone who loves Power armor but haven't played 4 yet how would you describe the changes to how power armor works for me? like what are the pros/cons compared to the other games?
>>
The only thing better than NV and 3 is the gameplay. Prove me wrong, I dare you.
>>
File: 1441672459167.jpg (10 KB, 225x255) Image search: [Google]
1441672459167.jpg
10 KB, 225x255
>>321635681
>buzzfeed
>polygon
>ign
>nerdist
>gamespot
how many shekels did they pay for these reviews?
>>
>>321635681
Bethesda's marketing department
>>
File: 1386967011244.png (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1386967011244.png
15 KB, 400x400
>>321635681
>it's glorious
>>
>>321635681
The political center ground at the last British general election.
>>
File: BATH3.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1413) Image search: [Google]
BATH3.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1413
>buzzfeed
They're about as much of a gaming source as feminist frequency.

AKA not at all.

Have some vidya related ecchi to scare off the landwhales with soggy knees.
>>
>>321636385
>the changes to how power armor works for me?

anybody can use it, its everywhere. you'll find a box on the side of the road with a full set of it. its a mini mech (complete with silly speedometers) that runs on batteries (that are also everywhere) and eventually you can put a jet pack on it.
>>
It added more to the lore of the fallout universe, which is nice. (Mainly thinking about Airships, Power Armour and Synths, the rest is really wishy-washy forgettable and not important)

Power Armour is now how they should have been, imo.

It has some nice gun play for a fallout game.
That's all I can think of.
>>
>>321635681
>constrained by your imagination and desire
Get a load of this fucking normie
>>
>>321636343
Do you not remember the ME3 debacle and how reviewers have the game a 10/10 before they completed it?
>>
File: IGNNN.png (931 KB, 1269x1114) Image search: [Google]
IGNNN.png
931 KB, 1269x1114
>>321636343
When did you realize this?

This has been a thing since Godhand when people were complaining about having to start the game from the beginning every time they died or something.

Trusting reviews from IGN is braindead retarded, as they aren't fans of video games. Why would you listen to someone's opinion on vidya if they don't like vidya?
>>
>>321636537
You used to be cool man for a tripfag but now you shoehorn sjw arguments into everything and it's dumb. I guess tripfags are easily brainwashed.
>>
>constrained by your imagination and desire

>The game's only shit to you because you lack imagination

Jesus
>>
For the people who actually played the game- is it basically just a shooter with some dialogue choices (shite) thrown in?
>>
>>321636558
sounds silly desu. No power armor training perk?
>>
>>321636456
>>321636032

>le paid reviews xDD
>>
>>321636691
Although I've seen him mention SJWs a bit too much lately, Buzzfeed is pretty shit. Just type into youtube buzzfeed sexism and you'll see plenty of their feminazi opinions. Like how hermione should have been the main character in harry potter.
>>
>>321636385
You have probably seen how you get in and out of them and that they are no longer simply an inventory item but something in the world to interact with.

The good:
They feel heavier and have their own UI (I really wish each model had a different one though), you can mod them to some impressive degrees.
I never got the perk, but the highest Strength perk makes you into the Juggernaut while in power armour, blasting enemies back as you run at them in Power Armour.

The bad:
They are the sole remaining thing that gets damaged at all, the only thing you have to maintain and repair.
There are far too many of them around, and the most common variant is the fucking T-60.
You can't fix a Power Fist onto your Power Armor.
Limited paintjobs, and they take up the same slot as more useful stuff like lead lining.
Too few modifications make a visual difference.
Somehow even a housewife with a law diploma can use them as well as a fucking veteran.
>>
>>321636818
Wait, do you think the marketing budget only goes to advertisements?

HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>321636456
>>321636032
After TLOU showing us that a mediocre at best game missing content that the developers promised us in the E3 demo can still get 10/10s across the board, it's obvious that they aren't paid.

They just don't know a fucking thing about video games.
>>
File: 1435846435909.jpg (592 KB, 1999x1499) Image search: [Google]
1435846435909.jpg
592 KB, 1999x1499
>>321636343
Game reviews have been shit since before you were born.
>>
>>321636995
Wait, do you think multi million dollar companies would blatantly break the law (as well as kill the studios) just for some good reviews?

HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>321635681

nothing
>>
>>321636032
Just like CDPR and w3, From and BB, konami and MGS?
>>
File: dungeon keepa.jpg (91 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
dungeon keepa.jpg
91 KB, 640x426
>>321637054
Hi.
>>
>>321635681
The marketing
>>
>>321636404
The gameplay
The open world
The upgraded engine
Everything related to sound
The power armors
The modding possibilities
>>
File: 1450505068220.jpg (14 KB, 342x316) Image search: [Google]
1450505068220.jpg
14 KB, 342x316
Got bored of the game after 2 days, i actually spent more time playing undertale than I did slogging through the shitty mess that is FO4.

you won't fool me again Todd
>>
>>321637084
No money is involved there.

It is also open to all. Anyone can see that they have asked.

Whereas secretly paying someone for a good review on a product without any confirmation to the public is highly illegal.
>>
>>321636787
the perks are generic increase X by Y shit.
>>
>>321636818
They have to be when the reviews are so blatantly objectively wrong

>Immense RPG
>Masterpiece
>Best game I've ever played
etc.
>>
>>321637054
>break the law

How so?

The video game "journalists" are actually bloggers, so paid reviews aren't illegal, even if they're immoral as fuck

also
>multi-million-dollar companies have never broken the law in order to make more money
How much of a fucking idiot are you?
>>
>>321637190
No they are not, every point adds new effects, it's not just a generic increase.
>>
>>321637185

They're often not directly paid. But given early access to future titles, given exclusive early access to press events and money towards website advertisements.

Displaying a huge FIVE OUT OF FIVE on the front of their box from a website also entices people to visit said website, giving them clicks
>>
>>321637260
>They have to be when the reviews are so blatantly objectively wrong

Well wouldn't that make it obvious that they're breaking the law?

>>321637260
>My opinion is different to someone else's, therefore they were paid.

>>321637264
It is illegal to pay someone to review a product and say good things about it without the reviewer or company stating that they have done so.
>>
>>321635681
The money.

It went right into the reviewer's pockets.
>>
>>321637054
Of course they do not pay for the reviews. But they invite the reviewers to promo events, pay for flights and catering and then give free swag. And in these events the reviewers hang out with the devs, feeling connected to them and start seeing them as friends. You wouldn't review friend's game badly, right?
This is also why many of the poor indie games get shitloads of press, while better ones are ignored unless they are ridiculously good and catch public eye. The devs and press are buddies who hang out together.
>>
>>321637386
>non-automatic pistols do 20% more damage!
>non-automatic pistols do 60% more damage and can disarm people!
>non-automatic pistols do 80% more damage and can disarm people better!
>non-automatic pistols do double damage!

That's the pistol perk, like all the other damage dealing perks. Or the medic one and a bunch more.
>>
>>321637529
Why would someone do this? Lie about things on the internet?
>>
>>321637403
>But given early access to future titles, given exclusive early access to press events and money towards website advertisements.

Here, Anon... I am a vidya "journalist" (I don't see it as that, I just see it as writing about vidya) and I have never heard of or been offered extras. We get the games to review for free, that is all. We can't afford to run a site and purchase a metric ton of games. But that doesn't mean we will say it is good. If a game is shit, a reviewer will say it is shit. Developers will rarely pay for actual writers to go to events. As for E Celebs, they are frequently paid.

>>321637468
I actually strictly write about the games that others ignore. The only reason bigger games get the attention is because it draws in a wider audience.
>>
File: dungeon keepaa.jpg (79 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
dungeon keepaa.jpg
79 KB, 600x338
>>321637185
>No money is involved there.
Hi!
>>
>>321637737
That's not paying for good reviews.

What is the point you are trying to make, tripfaggot?
>>
>>321637150
>The gameplay
The pure gameplay, yes. But what they do with it isn't much better, the quests in New Vegas were more interesting. Fallout 4 just kind of turns samey.
>The modding possibilities
I disagree. Since the game doesn't let you select what mod files to load anymore, it's actually way more of a pain in the ass.
>The open world
I'd actually say New Vegas beats this. Sure, Fallout 4 has some really nice looking locales, but overall it feels really cramped. You can't fucking walk half a minute without coming across interest point or a dungeon. And whole place is annoyingly hilly so you can't see much ahead of yourself.
Before you say BUT YOU ALSO SAY THAT WORLD IS TOO LARGE, fuck off. I actually liked Skyrim's world, which actually had level to it and lots of empty spaces that created sense of distance.

I more or less agree with the other points, but enjoyed my time with earlier Fallouts(and other Bethesda games) more.
>>
>>321636559
>It added more to the lore of the fallout universe
This is not a plus when Bethesda couldn't lore themselves out of a paper bag.
>>
>>321636947
a lot more cons then pros then. that's disturbing

>Somehow even a housewife with a law diploma can use them as well as a fucking veteran.
that pisses me off. I liked having to work hard to get that perk. it fel like you earned that armor you'd been storing since the first time you found it
>>
File: baneblaaaaaaaaaaade.jpg (170 KB, 1001x828) Image search: [Google]
baneblaaaaaaaaaaade.jpg
170 KB, 1001x828
>>321637790
>moving goalposts
Anyways, EA has done plenty of illegal shit. Stop trying to defend them here, you'll only get your argument raped harder than what your bosses did to westwood studios.
>>
>>321637668
The "paid" portion tends to be the ads plastered all over the big sites for [Next AAA Shooter] or whatever.
>>
I've been replaying old Fallouts lately, after finishing the classics I'm now with FO3 which I haven't played in ages, the writing of the game and the roleplaying are terrible but I'm enjoying it as long as it's more fallout and I can get lost on its world, explore vaults and learn more lore about Fallout.

How is Fallout 4 for someone who loves Fallout and just want to explore as much Fallout as possible?
>>
>>321637668
There are definitely situations in which People run the risk of losing their jobs/bonuses from rating a game more ...honestly.

I think also a huge part is the reaction of retards seeing a review they disagree with and losing their minds because they disagree. It's easier to just review everything 10/10 than give the latest AAA game the rundown it deserves and run into rabid fans screaming at you.

Also why not get in to real journalism senpai. You can do it, I believe in you!
>>
>>321637867
... I've really gotta wonder if GW ever found out/sued over this.

I mean, two giant dickish corperations getting in a pissing contest is more amusing in my head than any actual litigation could be... but still.
>>
>>321637412
>It is illegal to pay someone to review a product and say good things about it without the reviewer or company stating that they have done so.
Good thing there are loopholes such as paying for advertisements and free promotional vacations/goods.
>>
>>321637668
I appreciate the effort, but unless you write for bigger site, it won't do much.
If you write for Niche Gamer or something, you really need to step it up. I've heard from small devs and publishers sending them review copies, and barely getting any coverage. Same applies to Lewdgamer.
>>
>>321637913
The exploration and gameplay are improved. If you do play with mods, don't take the full-dialog one. It will not make roleplaying better, you'll just feel more annoyed seeing the options that barely differ from eachother.
>>
>>321636514
heh
>>
File: cnc VISUALLY STUNNING.png (941 KB, 672x872) Image search: [Google]
cnc VISUALLY STUNNING.png
941 KB, 672x872
>>321637962
They probably figured that they wouldn't want to go to court and say "Yes, we own the things used in THIS game."

I think they just wanted to distance themselves from this piece of trash as much as possible.
>>
>>321637894
That's just Google adjusting ads according to your site content, Anon.

>>321637978
It's a pretty big site. We don't mention SJW drama. Strictly vidya.

Before you ask, I won't state which site.

>>321637939
I started off in tech journalism. As a child I used to get vidya magazines and always thought it would be really cool to write about games and inform people off all the cool stuff that's coming out.

One thing that people seem to overlook is the fact that it would be more beneficial to shine light on game developers that are attempting to bribe. Think of the publicity there.
>>
>>321638225

Yeah, this stuff about bribery and shit is definitely overblown, it doesn't happen as much as people think but isn't reported on as much as it should be.

That's cool man, follow your dreams and all that. Who am i to tell you what's a real journalist and what isn't. I'm just some faggot shitposter; keep doing you, just be one of the good ones
>>
>>321637412
You do know that videogame "journalists" are not actually journalists and are not subject to the same regulations journalists are, right? They're glorified bloggers.

Also, it's not that they pay for reviews directly, but if a website is not favorable towards them they simply pull advertisements etc. Or even worse, they won't invite the website in question to exclusive company events and so they won't get news firsthand and lose their viewership.

For instance, I remember some portuguese gaming mag that dominated it's home market because they offered a free game each month, as it turns out Ubisoft was giving them keys for old Ubi games each month, once they give some AssCreed or something a unfavorable review they simply stopped giving them game keys and without free games everyone stopped buying the mag and the whole thing went under. Game journos and game publishers exist in a symbiotical, mutualy assured destruction situation.
>>
>>321638385
>Yeah, this stuff about bribery and shit is definitely overblown, it doesn't happen as much as people think but isn't reported on as much as it should be.

I'd say that's simply because it isn't sites that are offered free shit anymore. It's YouTubers that are sent free products, free trips to studios and such. A public figure has a higher chance at selling a product than a block of text on a site. In fact, a colleague of mine recently paid out of his own pocket to visit the studio where Unravel is being developed.
>>
>>321638225
>It's a pretty big site
>We don't mention SJW drama
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that one
>>
File: 1450763822305.jpg (45 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1450763822305.jpg
45 KB, 604x453
>>321638637

>tfw people like angry joe get paid money to travel around the world playing video games and making shit youtube videos
>>
>>321638597
>>You do know that videogame "journalists" are not actually journalists and are not subject to the same regulations journalists are, right? They're glorified bloggers.
See >>321637668
>>
As someone 14 hours in, who doesn't like the Fallout games (Having played 1, 3, a small bit of NV) to begin with:

Perks are boring. I'm crippled by indecision when it's level up time, only because I'm completely disinterested in most of them. Incremental upgrades aren't fun.
(Side note: TW3, my personal GOTY had this issue also)

V.A.T.S. seems as pointless as ever, although I'm definitely not using it to its full extent.

Missions seem to be exclusively "Kill things here" or "Kill things and then find a thing here". I keep wandering into interesting set pieces that have named enemy NPCs and such and they all just turn into slaughter fests when I was expecting some wacky story.

Armor segments are incredibly unintuitive to work with.

The game is inconsistent graphically, with good texture work on some things and incredibly blurry textures on others (blue doors to Cambridge police station, anyone?)
Bethesda should probably just outsource their graphics department

Interactions are kind of weird, I've chosen to stick with Dogmeat so far as a result.

Enemies can be bullshit. I think this is because of the push for you to wear power armor.

On the other hand:

Upgrades are sort of cool, if a bit samey a lot of the time

Shooting feral ghouls is fun

The map is big enough to keep me interested, it's also moderately dense, even if the content is samey

Playing on hard, I've found myself often running short of ammunition if I don't keep a gun of each calibre on hand.

6.5/10
>>
Reviewers have such massive boners on beginning of the game because it's only part they played.
>>
File: ok.jpg (92 KB, 1680x945) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
92 KB, 1680x945
>>321638674

>>321638715
That's where the much larger issue is. Only recently did we discover the a few E Celebs were paid up to 30k for endorsing the Xbox One a few times, and didn't state it.

They have been warned, and that's now why you now see more "This is a sponsored video by..." in descriptions.
>>
>>321638743
>As someone 14 hours in, who doesn't like the Fallout games (Having played 1, 3, a small bit of NV) to begin with
I don't get it, is this supposed to make your opinion credible or relevant?
>>
>>321638874
References regarding the Xbox One endorsing:

https://www.vg247.com/2015/09/03/youtubers-paid-for-false-misleading-xbox-one-promo/

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/03/youtuber-paid-20000-to-promote-xbox-one-5374226/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-02-machinima-deceived-consumers-with-xbox-one-youtube-videos-ftc-says
>>
>>321638980
No, fuckstick, it's the grain of salt you take with the post.
>>
>>321638980

I was trying to say I'm not biased toward one or the other. I'm not saying "4 has worse perks than NV and obsidian should get the rights", I'm saying "4 has bad perks imo".
>>
>>321637028
>that lower right corner
>>
File: v.png (33 KB, 884x135) Image search: [Google]
v.png
33 KB, 884x135
>unironically calling FO4 a masterpiece
neo-/v/ disgusts me, the game doesn't is a 7/10 at best
>>
>>321636537
Oh, I stand corrected. Wet neps is ecchi as fuck.
>>
Power Armor
Looting
Walking away mid conversation

That's it.
>>
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.