[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Shit games that are only liked because of nostalgia goggles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 23
File: index.jpg (7 KB, 310x163) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7 KB, 310x163
ITT: Shit games that are only liked because of nostalgia goggles

Pic related
>>
Pretty much why I like it honestly lmao
>>
>he doesnt know the joy of being rich af with gr8 gear
>>
>>321614293
nah your wrong
>>
Ya, it was the simplicty and doing it with friends that made it enjoyable.
Are mmos actually ever good, though?
>>
One of the best questing systems in any RPG

Far from bad
>>
Runescape did a lot of things right. Quests, skills, combat, pvp. Talking about 2007scape, before it went to shit.
>>
>>321614293

I bet you got scammed or lost your rune pking or something
>>
>>321615489
>before it went to shit
Everyone on the runescape forums in 2007 were talking about how 2001scape was good before it went to shit. The reality is, it's always been shit but people always circlejerk and stomp on the newest version just to look hip. Stop nostalgiafagging.
>>
So many skills to level up...such a big world...the nostalgia helps a lot, though.
>>
Wish I could still play but grinding out 1m/hr for 11m I need for the bond every 15 days just isn't worth it.
>>
>>321614293
The quests really made the game, why can't modern MMOs have quests like that?
>>
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye 007
Jet Force Gemini
Banjo Kazooie
Morrowind
Gothic
Tomb Raider
Mega Man Legends
Flashback
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
Earthbound
Heart of Darkness
Soul Reaver
Silent Hill
Fear Effect
Driver
Road Rash 3D
Grand Theft Auto 3
Donkey Kong 64
Starfox
Doom
Myst
>>
But you're wrong OP
>>
>>321616148
>Resident Evil

The REMake has aged pretty well, I really enjoyed the PS4 version which I beat recently. But if you're talking about the original/director's cut, you're right.
>>
>>321615823
Actually, the new/er/est version of runescape is shit because every major update changed things enough that it's a different game than what a certain group of people played. That group of people then shits upon this current version, while receiving backlash from 1. new people that did not play until the update was pushed out, and 2. fellow players who appreciated or were otherwise ambivalent towards the update.

This is how people still play it after EoC and all the god shit came out, they either never knew what it was like back before sneezing and getting 99 in a skill was a daily occurrence, or they simply didn't care enough about the parts of the game that had changed.

Nostalgiafaggotry on the part of oldfags is an omnipresent byproduct of the updates, as is casualfaggotry by the newfags.
>>
>>321615489
>>>>runescape "combat"
>>
>>321615823
are you going to act like implementing completely arbitrary trade limits and removing the wilderness weren't legitimately terrible choices
>>
File: EtUmm2j.gif (664 KB, 361x308) Image search: [Google]
EtUmm2j.gif
664 KB, 361x308
>>321616947
fuck outta my way
>>
Honestly no, the quest design is far better than World of Warcraft's and the writing in dialogue, examination of environment and so on whilst very self-aware and amusing was more interesting than WoW's attempt at contextualizing quests with the quest box outside of a few examples (e.g. Welcome to the Machine). As for lore, the lore was also more consistent than WoW's lore and personally I found it more interesting to be caught up in a war between the gods that had a lot of mystery (e.g. what came before the Vampyres, who really was Zaros, Guthix's true nature) than it was about two factions that are supposed to hate each other buddy-buddy up to defeat bigbadevil of the expansion.

Then again I stopped playing Runescape around 2009 so I can't comment on the current state of the game.
>>
>>321616947
Having to research what you were fighting so you could equip yourself appropriately, balancing potions and food with room for drops, needing to know the best place to kill whatever you were after and a backup spot in case it was already full, and slowly but surely advancing through the ranks of armor and weapons was a lot more fun than needing to press 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in varying orders and moving one tile when the boss does its glowy super nuclear attack that will kill you regardless of gear and levels.
>>
>>321617463
>I stopped playing Runescape around 2009
I wish you could have taken me with you, 2010 was when the downhill slope suddenly became far more steep.
Every quest after The Chosen Commander should be considered noncanon.
>>
>>321617463
Unfortunately the current state of quests seems to be either God related new age stuff or self-referential nostalgia quests, like the recent tutorial island one. The variety has taken a drop in the bucket, and not for the better unfortunately. A lot of the puzzles I liked have turned into hand holding guided walkthroughs. The sense of adventure is lacking nowadays.
>>
>>321617463
Guthix is dead lol.
>>
>>321617704
>Zanik

My man, best RS girl. I stopped because the updates were getting more and more infrequent, to me that was the writing on the wall.

>>321617706
That really sucks, I remember how fucking hard Underground Pass and Mourner's Ending in that light labyrinth was without a walkthrough. Lack of variety sounds like a shame considering One Small Favour, Monkey Madness and Recipe For Disaster were some of my favourite quests.

>>321617850
Ya I read the Wiki apparently there's all the gods are hanging around because they can I guess.
>>
>>321614293
undertale
>>
File: honk girl sees your post.jpg (25 KB, 388x279) Image search: [Google]
honk girl sees your post.jpg
25 KB, 388x279
>>321614293
Damn nigga that's some shit taste
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lr6KnjlMCg
>>
>>321617929
Lack of variety is what happens when you fire and/or piss off all the original quest writers before they have a chance to teach the new writers anything about, I dunno, how to write.
See Salt in the Wound, and how craptastic the Vampyre quests got after the guy that made the majority of them left, and it was up to some bumbling monkey equipped with a bronze typewriter to finish it.
>>
>>321618103
>midis
>in the mid 00's

even most runeshit players either played in silence or turned on edgy nu-metal from limewire instead.
>>
>>321617929
While Guthix Sleeps was one of the greatest quests I'd ever played through, MEP2 was a wonderful puzzle that was expertly crafted, and Underground Pass really captured that sense of being totally lost somewhere, even with a guide. RFD I will admit was somewhat lacking though, but it did have a lot of variety for being quest #100. Nomad's Requiem was also great, one of the hardest in my opinion, but a wonderful quest. So while there is still a reason to play the game, a lot of the older content is the reason why I still keep up with the game. Every time a new update comes out now, it's just... not good. Even holiday events suck now, tied in with the whole Treasure Hunter bullshit. The game's not about adventure anymore, it's about getting people to endgame content with free XP as fast as possible.

>>321618324
The music still holds a place in my heart for doing a fantastic job with MIDI. I don't think many people could have crafted a soundtrack like that.
>>
File: chenmobile.jpg (70 KB, 863x287) Image search: [Google]
chenmobile.jpg
70 KB, 863x287
>>321618324
>Partricians such as myself only listened to high quality edgy nu-metal from limewire while fishing for shrimp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7NSfYUzwGU
>>
>>321614502
Dat rune(g) life
>>
>>321618324
>midis can't be good
>>
>>321618324
As someone who had the legit f2p runescape experience as a kid in the mid 2000's, I didn't do this, neither did any of my irl friends who played. Honestly the Runescape music gives me feels, it's very enjoyable to listen to.
>>
>>321618506
Notice how 70 percent of runescape videos from back in the day were "RMVs" set to shitty nu-metal, which isn't surprising considering runescape's audience was was filled with 12 year olds who wore monster energy snapbacks and tacky walmart shirts with "clever phrases" on them. Runescape was objectively shit, literally angry birds level of suckery. In fact, 10 years from now there will be angry birds nostalgiafagging on /v/, just accept that your favorite game sucks ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwRhp4isnts
>>
>>321618557
>Not gilded

You motherfucker don't even understand the meaning of gaudy

>>321618457
>>321618272
That really sucks, Runescape was about the adventure for me and not XP farming. I remember Holiday events being this massive quest that was both really fun and had great rewards. I got really annoyed at the members only Christmas tree, that was around when I quit.

And what they fired/pissed off the original quest writers?
>>
File: bonzo buddy.exe.gif (104 KB, 232x344) Image search: [Google]
bonzo buddy.exe.gif
104 KB, 232x344
>>321618457
>While Guthix Sleeps
That quest was fantastic, every day I'd plant pineapples for that 65 farm, getting more hype with every couple thousand exp. Once I got to 60 I was sick to death of it and just spammed spicy stew until I could start it.
>all that lore from seeming unrelated quests coming together
>that trapped treasure chamber with all the gold and dragon daggers and shit
>that black knight base and armor
>that dagon hai armor
>new worlds of 'oh shit' as each dialogue option gets crossed when talking to the wizard guy
>dem cryptic messages from the balance elemental suggesting that omae wa mo shindeiru
>touching the stone of jas for 255/x in all your combat stats
>TEMPLE FUCKING DESECRATED
>kicking a tormented demon to death
>free handful of money from the dragon platebody piece
>assloads of EXP in any stat
>that feeling of emptiness when you couldn't replay it all over again
>>
>Mfw Drumgun still plays and is top of the hi-scores.

I actually met him back when we were F2Pfags, can't believe he's still playing.
>>
>>321618903
Ahhh times were simpler then
>>
>>321618457
>Whilst Guthix Sleeps

Oh fucking shit that quest. Fucking great one. Great loot, great story, great dialogue and great finale.
>>
>>321619006
>TEMPLE FUCKING DESECRATED
My man. Temple of Guthix (the precursor song in that area) is also fantastic. Granted I loved some of the more boring skills like firemaking and farming so it wasn't really a grind for me.

>>321619240
That's why WGS was great, it tied so much of the world together and left a nice little point in time for another series to start. And then they fucked it with world events that could have been great quests. That's what pisses me off the most. They could have made a new system to have group quests not suck shit, but then when that came out eventually it was just so... lackluster.

>>321618978
Companies change over time, so a lot of the older employees start noticing that the newer employees don't care for certain parts of the world they've crafted. It builds on you, eventually to a point that you can't stand it anymore and need to leave. That's probably the reason why they left.
>>
did anybody see me walking around dressed like a monk?
>>
>>321619376
>>321619006
Sorry, meant The Sound of Guthix.
>>
>>321616148
I didn't play SM64, OoT, Earthbound, Silent Hill, or Myst until the last five years or so and I think they're all great games.

I agree with you on MGS, Goldeneye, Resident Evil, and maybe DK64 (not shit, but not up to par with Banjo Kazooie, Conker, SM64, Sonic Adventure, or Rayman 2) and maybe Starfox, but that's just because I personally find it boring.
>>
>>321618885
it got really old after about a year of hearing the same shit every day
>>
>>321619394
I used to walk around on F2P servers dressed as a white knight and pretended to be an NPC.

>>321619376
I can't comment post-2009 but that sucks, I remember seeing all those heroes you knew and loved just die before your eyes. Whilst Guthix Sleeps felt like Runescape's magnus opus in that regard and desu is better than anything in WoW.
>>
File: kidding.jpg (141 KB, 1225x706) Image search: [Google]
kidding.jpg
141 KB, 1225x706
>>321619536
>Sonic Adventure on the same level as Banjo Kazooie and SM64
>>
>>321619592
>not humming along and learning the basics of music theory just by listening to songs
>not being able to play at least parts of them purely by ear with various instruments
>>
Deus Ex and Planescape Torment are the worse. Maybe they were good back then but they've aged like milk. At least /v/ has evolved from 4-5 years ago when EVERYONE here would harp on and on about PST and DX being the bests game ever. So many retarded oldfag nostalgiagoggles tastes back then
>>
>>321619495
Sound of Guthix gave me goosebumps every time I listened to it, something about that synth and the toot-toots that came in around half-way through it.

Out of curiosity, what do you think about Dark, Undercurrent, and Rising Damp? I have a sudden urge to have my tastes validated by a third party.
>>
>>321618019
>undertale
>nostalgia
>>
>>321619702
you sound like you were a fucking loser
>>
>>321618324
midi is shit but runescape probably did it better than 99% of games, it has an amazing soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9wnuZoK090
>>
>>321620060
I am in fact the boss of a gym.
>>
>>321619772
I played them in 2007 when I was a 13 year old who was obsessed with Halo 3 and CoD4 and still loved them. PST as far as I'm concerned still hasn't been beaten in terms of roleplaying sans actual tabletop RPGs and Deus Ex still has some of the best level design in any game I've played.
>>
File: 1412737279482.png (132 KB, 529x470) Image search: [Google]
1412737279482.png
132 KB, 529x470
>there will never be another MMO in the same vein as Runescape with wide open PVP, no dedicated classes, tons of skills and minigames and 500k people on at any given time
>>
>>321619850
Dark is pretty good, it sounds like an experimental piece because of some of the synths in the middle.

Undercurrent is great to me because it uses those stereo audio effects that get my dick rock hard. The actual track itself is alright, but the effect use is great.

Unfortunately Youtube started shitting out on me for Rising Damp, so I have no comment on it.
>>
>>321619772

Deus Ex is still good though. I played it for the first time last year because I only played the demo as a youngling.
>>
>>321620372
>wide open PVP
muh balance
>no dedicated classes
muh WoW clone
muh balance
>tons of skills and minigames
muh asset budget
muh balance
>and 500k people on at any given time
muh combination of 'All MMOs are shit now' attitude of the everyday consumer and need to allow one character to do absolutely everything instead of relying on someone else for supplies/finished products/etc

If you could topple those hurdles, we'd be back in the golden age of MMOs again
>>
I was one of those twats who got dressed up and hung out in lumby on world 108 idk, it was alot of fun and there was always big drama
>>
File: 1408353289678.png (15 KB, 189x177) Image search: [Google]
1408353289678.png
15 KB, 189x177
>>321620564
The items you wore included at least some of the following:
Black Cavalier
Desert Boots
Gnome Scarf
Cooking Gauntlets
Ava's thingy
Fighter's Torso
Loaned Godsword
Woodcutting after ivy came out/Fletching/Cooking cape
>>
File: RS kah bah gee.gif (790 KB, 750x330) Image search: [Google]
RS kah bah gee.gif
790 KB, 750x330
>>321620372
>there will never be another MMO in the same vein as Runescape with restricted PKing (Wildy only), no dedicated classes, tons of grinding and minigames and 500k people of which 200k are bots on at any given time

Fixed.
>>
>>321620740
idk wat the fuck it was about those items, but i scored many online girlfriends wearing that shit. good times. miss you Jamie and Amanda
>>
Honestly, Runescape must be on one the best designed games ever made. Everything just worked, the leveling system, quests, world and the free market.
>>
File: 1392564189014.gif (3 MB, 768x389) Image search: [Google]
1392564189014.gif
3 MB, 768x389
This is what happened to quests, nothing but cheap cinematics now.
>>
who else /world31houseparties/ here?
>>
File: Nomad_Dom_Tower_glitch.gif (1 MB, 325x272) Image search: [Google]
Nomad_Dom_Tower_glitch.gif
1 MB, 325x272
>>321621028
>Everything just worked
It did not. Bugs, bugs everywhere, bugs everyday, bugs every week, bug fixes with every patch notes release.
>>
>>321621036
Was that even a quest?
I thought they killed dat nigga off because of some 'world event' that required you to sit through mandatory grinding for a month to get anything remotely good
>>
File: 1449545555607.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1449545555607.gif
2 MB, 400x400
>>321620223
>>
>>321620886

no one cares about the "girls" you erped with faggot
>>
>>321614293
Runescape was fun and let you level up in so many types of skills, something that high budget MMOs didn't have. Runescape didn't have good graphics or controls though.
>>
>your maxed
>even on divination and summoning
>new skill is gonna come out
What the fuck
>>
>>321621161
Yeah, that's what killed quests. They had this great thing all set up and instead of writing up a quest they shit together some half-assed mechanics into a steaming turd called a "world event" that was just a grindfest. Not to mention so much fucking members only shit that the shilling for membership is so fucking obvious in the game now. It's a GAME. The GAME should not sell the GAME.
>>
File: RS ERP.gif (528 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
RS ERP.gif
528 KB, 500x332
>>321621161
>that required you to sit through mandatory grinding for a month

Try three days.
>>
>>321621049
>learning how to teleport through walls by getting off a chair
>learning how to stand on air after someone opened the trap door
>dropping the host into the trap door
>begging the host to relight his galt herb burning thingies
>building a house that was an empty field with a dungeon entrance and then a massive complex down beneath it
>grindan slayer monsters and minigames for cool shit that didn't do anything much like the rest of the game but goddamn that red and blue ornamental armor took forever holy shit
>>
File: Worse than Assassin's Creed QA.gif (3 MB, 294x307) Image search: [Google]
Worse than Assassin's Creed QA.gif
3 MB, 294x307
>>321621331
After the hedge fund shitters got their hands on the game they forced a complete 180 degree on making F2P its own game. Now you get membership popups about bad p2p game equipment when you reach certain levels. I'm still mad.
>>
File: 1413146709628.png (3 KB, 147x130) Image search: [Google]
1413146709628.png
3 KB, 147x130
>>321621313
>new skill is just an attempt to fix the absolutely fucked economy by artificially destroying huge supplies of once expensive items
>>
>>321621331
I vaguely remember somebody saying how they wanted gnome copters outta there because it was taunting f2plebs into buying members.
Then a couple months ago I logged in to survey the damage and some 'SUBSCRIBE NOW FAGGOT' message popped up, not to mention an omnipresent 'SUBSCRIBE' button off to the side
I get it, they're desperate
>>
>>321621526
>hedge fund shitters
Thank you for reminding me what I should be directing my rage at

>>321621545
Is it gonna eat whips? Or visages?
>>
File: 1391462194931.gif (584 KB, 379x489) Image search: [Google]
1391462194931.gif
584 KB, 379x489
>>321621562
>I get it, they're desperate
You haven't seen desperate if you think what they're doing now is out of desperation. They're rolling in a lot of money milked from the members gambling for pay-to-win items in treasure hunter.
>>
File: 1064_gtasa_pc_boxart.jpg (70 KB, 353x500) Image search: [Google]
1064_gtasa_pc_boxart.jpg
70 KB, 353x500
Vice City had less shit to do but somehow was so much fucking better
>>
>>321621737
basically you destroy items to have a (chance) at upgrading your already top tier armor even further
>>
>>321621737
Yea whips, gods words alot of shit that's insanely cheap
>>
File: Runescape in a nutshell.gif (2 MB, 223x331) Image search: [Google]
Runescape in a nutshell.gif
2 MB, 223x331
>>321621545
They should fucking decentralize the economy.
>>
>>321621747
>Pay2Win gambling shit

This was the final straw for me, showed that they stopped caring about the game as a game and instead made it into a moneymaking scheme like Payday 2.

Like despite how shitty all the RWT updates were, they were done as an effort to make the game better and kill off shekelfarmers. Now they went out of their way to make money even disregarding their previous stance on RWT.

Like what's the difference between buying shekels from a starving Chinaman and Jagex?
>>
>>321621854
I wonder what they'll think of next
>>
Ever since the graphic update everything went to a fucking black hole
>>
>>321614293
>op says runescape is only liked because of nostalgia goggles
>anons try to defend game but can't, proving the point
absolute kek

anyways, the real nostalgia goggle game to me is SAN ANDREAS. good story, characters and all, but "fun"? it's prohibitive, even with cheats.

>>321616148
>Goldeneye 007
>Jet Force Gemini
>Morrowind
>Tomb Raider
>Mega Man Legends
>Flashback
>Soul Reaver
>Fear Effect
>Driver
>Road Rash 3D
>Grand Theft Auto 3
>Donkey Kong 64
>Doom
>Myst

agree with these.
>>
>>321621986
Not to mention you need fucking 80 in Divination, the next most useless skill next to Dungeoneering. It's like every attempt they make is a shitty way of trying to make people care about content that flopped in the first place.
>>
>>321622035
Care to rebut >>321617463 then?
>>
>>321622139
anon is a busy man with many dank memes to repost, he can't waste any time doing something like that
>>
File: 1391526276153.gif (681 KB, 165x183) Image search: [Google]
1391526276153.gif
681 KB, 165x183
>>321621917
The only good RWT update involved buying membership bonds with real money while also making them available for in-game gold.

Poorfags could finally get members through in-game gold while rich faggots with no skill or bad internet could finally, legally, get equipment their lack of skill otherwise wouldn't let them be able to get as a drop.
>>
>>321622191
I bet he can't even post the rarest meme
>>
File: Battleon.png (225 KB, 160x752) Image search: [Google]
Battleon.png
225 KB, 160x752
>>321614293
You wanna talk about shit that's only good with nostalgia goggles?

This shit right here.
>>
>>321622139
no, because that's an opinion. and a slightly shiny nugget in a sea of turds won't work.
>>321622191
>>321622291
reddit, please go.
>>
>>321622451
Good job admitting defeat, though you could have used less words
>>
>>321622451
Rebutting opinions is what debating is all about. If all you're going to post is haha you suck and not even attack opinions then you've already lost the debate.
>>
>>321622479
>>321622557
he just talks about how he found the lore and writing more interesting than WoW's, which is another game seen under nostalgia goggles. why bother at this point?
>>
>>321614293
Ocarina of Time
holy fuck its bad, only nostalgia fags still jerk off to it like its the holy grail of video games.
>>
>>321622758
I rest my case, come back when you're actually going to debate rather than resort to using nothing but ad hominem.
>>
Diablo
Morrowind
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.