[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know, in retrospect the Genesis Sonic games are kind of mediocre.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 17
File: aidsmobyfistsrichevans.jpg (247 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
aidsmobyfistsrichevans.jpg
247 KB, 1920x1080
You know, in retrospect the Genesis Sonic games are kind of mediocre. Its especially funny how these gotta go fast games have so much anti-fast shit shit strewn throughout the levels.
>>
plz respond :(
>>
File: 1450402919602.png (229 KB, 752x856) Image search: [Google]
1450402919602.png
229 KB, 752x856
The original Sonics worked because the ability to zoom through the level was a reward for mastering it. Later games just handed you the speed.
>>
Fuck off and quit letting idiots on YT form your opinions for you.
>>
Sonic games are physics manipulation games not mindlessly go fast games.

People only dislike them because they have an incorrect notion that they are about to play a game where you go really fast.
>>
>>321602502
this
>>
File: scottishangel.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
scottishangel.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
>>321602573
>People only dislike them because they have an incorrect notion that they are about to play a game where you go really fast.
That's probably because SEGA marketed them as such.
>>
>>321601448
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw
Not once in that entire video do they spin dash or roll into a ball.
>>
>>321602736
Which is a problem with marketing, not game design. If someone wants to let flawed 20-30 year old marketing dictate their opinions in the year 2015 then they're fucking retarded, and probably also younger than the games themselves.
>>
File: images (3)(6).jpg (22 KB, 520x283) Image search: [Google]
images (3)(6).jpg
22 KB, 520x283
>people who say Sonic 2 was the best in the series
>>
H A C K F R A U D S
>>
>>321602925
These mother fuckers make me mad.
>>
>>321601448
Agreed. The old Sonics are insanely overrated. Some of the biggest problems were that hazards changed rules, seeing below you sucks which is really a problem since every level is layered, weird hitboxes - exaggerated due to the hitbox rules in the game being tiered, instakill hazards in general when the game encourages you to go fast, and the true ending shit might be the worst of all - the minigames are fucking horrible. On top of all that, there just isn't any fun combat. It's a platformer, sure, but most platformers have better combat than Sonic regardless.
>>
>>321604040
Maybe you should stop masturbating to cartoon animals, you piece of shit.
>>
>>321604040
mad that they just BTFO of sonic?
>>
Where did Jessi go? :<
>>
>>321604504
Yeah but I got to pretend they're classic platformers with absolutely spotless gameplay. I have to masturbate to something, you know, and eggman is the only one who does it for me.
>>
>AIDS Moby's opinions on anything ever

Disregarded. He's wrong about everything ever.

I don't know how Rich stands him.
>>
>>321604662
>He's wrong about everything ever.
I think that's why they keep him around, to have someone to laugh at besides Rich.
>>
>someone on youtube says an old and popular game is bad
>people on /v/ now talk about how bad it is
Who started this trend? My memory goes as far back as Egoraptor and OoT.
>>
>both rich and jack think bloodborne is GOTY
>both realize MGS5 is incoherent for any non-MGS fan, and point out big narrative flaws.

rich and jack aren't perfect, but they're about the only "e-celebs" i can say actually have remotely good taste.
>>
>>321603228
the sanic games are nowhere near as good as games like Super Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Aladdin, The Lion King, Kirby, or Castle of Illusion. Hell, if you consider Ecco a platformer (some autists do), Sonic isn't even even Sega's best original platformer.
>>
>>321604876
I disagree.
>>
Why is Sonic literally the only franchise where the player sucking at the game is considered a perfectly valid argument against the game and not reason to mock the complainer?
>>
File: 1442901471188.png (466 KB, 632x492) Image search: [Google]
1442901471188.png
466 KB, 632x492
>>321601448
I HATE AIDSMOBY SO FUCKING MUCH.

STOP RUINING RLM, YOU FAGGOT
>>
>>321605008
Because my RLM overlords said it was shit, so it's shit.
>>
>>321604876
Here's why.

But first, while I believe the above statement is true in general, for the sake of objectivity for this post I am going to be referring to 2 specific games: Sonic 3&Knuckles vs Super Mario World. I concede that it's not really fair to compare Sonic to Mario as they are 2 separate games, but I contend that, hypothetically if one did want to compare them as much as possible, S3K and SMW are the most logical choices for this as they both represent the 3rd entry in each games' console history.

Greentext for points relating to Sonic, normaltext for Mario. Let's begin (in no particular order):

>3 fully developed playable characters with completely different sprite sheets (6 if you count super/hyper transformations, which you should)
Basically 1 playable character. "Luigi" is little more than a cheap palette swap with slightly different handling.

>Unique special abilities for each character in addition to abilities granted from items.
No true special abilities, gimmicky item mechanic implemented instead, causing both characters to not only look the same but play the same.

>Complex, multiple branching paths and routes through the levels, which are all highly detailed with tons of secrets and hidden stuff you didn't even know existed, even 20 years later. Very high replay value.
Relatively simple, linear levels with a few obvious "secrets" that once you inevitably stumble upon them that's all there is to know. Average replay value.

>3 types of mini-games in the form of bonus stages, plus 1 totally separate mode of play in the special stages that consists of 14 unique levels by itself.
Nothing. Unless you count "hidden stages" but that's not really fair because the gameplay in those areas is exactly the same as in the rest of the game.
>>
>>321604876
>>321605268
>Superior multiplayer capability. Drop in, drop out simultaneous 2player mode by playing as Sonic and Tails. There is also splitscreen versus mode. 6+ save slots.
Dated, pedantic, boring "take turns playing" 2player mode that nobody likes and nothing more. Only 3 save slots.

>Better, more detailed graphics despite the Genesis being able to display far less colors than the SNES
Simple, bland graphics that look like they just hurried up to finish production on time

>Features an original, in-depth storyline told through cinematic cutscenes which was way ahead of its time
Save the princess. Wow. How creative (and sexist). Also no cutscenes.

>Truly outstanding music soundtrack with many catchy, technically impressive tunes obviously created by professionals who have studied music extensively, including Micheal Jackson.
A few catchy tunes here and there, nothing really noteworthy.

>Cutting edge game designed specifically to take full advantage of the then state of the art Genesis hardware.
Essentially just a rehash of a game from the previous generation, which was originally based on arcade games from even more generations ago.

>Even after 20 years there is still nothing else quite like /vr/ Sonic. Few games have even attempted, and none have succeeded.
Countless Mario clones shitting up the video game market for decades.

There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

Basically Sonic is better than Mario in virtually every way.
>>
>>321605006
That's fine anon. I like to play the Sonic games with a usb genesis pad from time to time, really brings me back.
>>
>>321605364
>Save the princess. Wow. How creative (and sexist).
I can't believe how long you had me there
>>
>>321602736
But you can go fast, as long as you get gud. Most sonic games had a few sections in early levels where they gave you a few brief tastes of fast, but you had to practice to be fast all the time.

The real question was, were people willing to give games more of a chance before dismissing them, back then? Maybe. Before online reviews and gameplay videos, I always rented games to try them out before buying them, especially since I had a very limited allowance. My brother and I would take turns playing the game for the entire weekend. We'd often get decently good at games before we went back to the store sunday evening to drop it in the return slot. Nowdays people will watch a trailer or a 2-minute gameplay video on youtube, watch some e-celeb play it, or buy it on steam and try to get a feel for it before your 2-hour return window is up.
>>
>>321605575
Is it not sexist?
>>
>>321605268
>>321605364
Now compare S3&K (which is admittedly the best Sonic game by a country mile) to Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>321604504
>exaggerated due to the hitbox rules in the game being tiered, instakill hazards in general when the game encourages you to go fast
Are you sure are you talking about the classics on the genesis and not the Advance series?
>>321605008
Is not the only game or series. God Hand is another one of these, but there are more cases.
The problem is that those youtubers who sell well to the viewers are bad/mediocre gamers or someone acting a role of a madman.
And you also have reviewers who play like 1 hour of a game and some people take them seriously.
>>
>>321605646
gender is a social construct
>>
>>321605268
>>321605364
sonic has shit level design and horribly floaty physics dawg. Those things make or break platformers
>>
>>321601448
It was better than most contemporary titles with similar styles.
>>
>>321601448
>watching rlm for anything other than movies
>>
File: 1363728033639.png (459 KB, 782x1022) Image search: [Google]
1363728033639.png
459 KB, 782x1022
>>321605878
Excellent rebuttal, sir. Your half-assed attempt at grammar and the way you destroyed my whole argument with just a single sentence, more or less, clearly demonstrates that your personal opinion is more than enough to refute my many valid points.
>>
>>321605268
I agree with you that S3&K has a lot going for it over SMW. But I'd say you are selling SMW a bit short.

>3 fully developed playable characters with completely different sprite sheets (6 if you count super/hyper transformations, which you should)
A valid point, though you could add in Yoshi as an additional playable character for SMW. He certainly has more functionality than the super/hyper transforms.

>Unique special abilities for each character in addition to abilities granted from items.
The special abilities are mostly utilized rather well in Sonic (Sans tails flying). And the cape in SMW breaks many stages. But the stages themselves in SMW are designed around the more economic moveset that Mario has rather well. You rarely hit the random spike traps and cheap hazards that Sonic contains.

>Complex, multiple branching paths and routes through the levels, which are all highly detailed with tons of secrets and hidden stuff you didn't even know existed, even 20 years later. Very high replay value.
Complexity!=better designed. Despite being labyrinths, many of the sections in Sonic feel (ironically) claustrophobic given the high density of hazards and platforms. Sonic's physics don't really contribute to the stop and go nature of these levels, and thus make the game feel much more sluggish than it needs to be.

>3 types of mini-games in the form of bonus stages, plus 1 totally separate mode of play in the special stages that consists of 14 unique levels by itself.
Agreed

>Superior multiplayer capability.
Agreed

>Better, more detailed graphics despite the Genesis being able to display far less colors than the SNES
Agreed, but SMW was a launch title released in 1991 and Sonic was released the same year as the Sega Saturn. If you compare SMW to early Genesis games it holds up quite well. While its not exactly fair to compare Yoshi's Island to S3 (as Yoshi's Island uses the Super FX 2 chip) it kinda smokes S3 in visuals.
>>
>>321605195
So we can't talk about the games and sonic is impervious to criticism because these faggots said mean things about his games. That's just beautiful.
>>
>>321605268
Super Mario World is the 4th (5th if you count lost levels) game in the series.
>>
>>321604824
>Egoraptor
There's your man, dude. This fucking piece of shit did it.
>>
>>321605364
>Features an original, in-depth storyline told through cinematic cutscenes which was way ahead of its time
I wouldn't say Sonic's use of cut-scenes in 94 ahead of its time, as you had dozens of SEGA CD games and RPGs that were doing a much better job of this. Also, it could be argued that people simply don't care about a story when you are in a world of talking hedgehogs or mushrooms.

>Truly outstanding music soundtrack with many catchy, technically impressive tunes obviously created by professionals who have studied music extensively, including Micheal Jackson.
Subjective, though I do agree Sonic has the edge here.

>Cutting edge game designed specifically to take full advantage of the then state of the art Genesis hardware.
We both know the Genesis was hardly cutting edge. While its true S3&K pushed the Gen way harder than SMW did the SNES, the only real thing the Gen had over the SNES was processing speed (which did make it better suited for certain genres). The SNES had far superior sound capabilities and color production, and much better scaling. But really, the NEO-GEO smokes em both.

>Even after 20 years there is still nothing else quite like /vr/ Sonic. Few games have even attempted, and none have succeeded.
Freedom Planet is really good.
>>
File: 1451186391392.jpg (47 KB, 515x515) Image search: [Google]
1451186391392.jpg
47 KB, 515x515
who actually watches the pre rec live streams?

I used to tbqh, but the mods really sucked all the fun out of it. That and I got really annoyed with Jack's fake laugh and Rich's autism
>>
>>321601448
>you can easily compare Sonic and Mario, they are both platformers and you jump on things
Triggered to absolute hell and back right now. Might as well say Titanfall and fucking Descent are the same thing because both are played with a first-person perspective and you shoot at things.
>>
>Its especially funny how these gotta go fast games

That's pretty much never been what Sonic has been about.
You just happen to play as a character who is fast. The level design is not particularly intended for completely streamlined movement. That's just people remembering shit wrong.
When it comes down to it, it's a platforming game first, with some speedy transition segments here and there.
>>
The Genesis Sonic games are perfectly competent games.

Ristar is way fucking better though.
>>
>>321608442
Nah.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a pretty fantastic game, but it doesn't measure up to S3&K in any way. Maybe the music, but that's it.
>>
>>321605625
But "getting gud" in the old sanic games if you want to gofast requires you to memorize the levels and play it over and over.

Oh, wait, so that's why autistic manchildren love them.
>>
>>321608012
Same here. It used to be entertaining to ask them some questions. Then the mods turned hardcore nazi fucks. Banned me for not even cursing or anything, all I did was just disagree with their opinion.

Bald fuck is annoying, plays TF2 with a controller. Fucking terrible at games, and all he does is play indie hipster shit. Rich is alright and funny at times. It's funny when Mike or Jay is playing with them but they seem so anti video game it pisses me off. In other words fuck their stream.

Also fuck then for thinking old 2D sonics are bad. Stupid fucking opinion.
>>
>>321608012
its great when they play multiplayer games, as they can't censor you when you get in their games
>>
>>321608526
>But "getting gud" in the old sanic games if you want to gofast requires some form of effort
Yeah, you kinda need to do that to be gud at ANY game, anon. Stop playing casual shit.
>>
File: 1376617537781.jpg (49 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1376617537781.jpg
49 KB, 576x432
>>321601448
>doesnt even know how to fucking roll or spindash in sonic.
>>
>>321608510
Not even close.
S3&K doesn't even have bosses worth remembering.
>>
>>321608535
>that one time Mike played QWOP and started breathing heavily.

LITERALLY my favorite stream. when jay talks about movies I can endure Aids and Rich's faggotry, but that's few and far between when he's on.
>>
>>321603228
>If someone wants to let flawed 20-30 year old marketing dictate their opinions in the year 2015 then they're fucking retarded

Stupidest post i've read this year. You just made it right in time son.
>>
>>321608135

To be fair Sonic 2 and 3 refine the gameplay towards flowing through levels compared to Sonic 1's more standard platformer design. Green Hill sticks out compared to Marble Zone or Labyrinth zone's linear platforming. They had not found footing with the concept until Sonic 2, with Green Hill being redesigned so many times to be the blueprint for future games.

Then you have Sonic CD instead builds off 1's platforming.
>>
>>321608535
Jay is more indifferent towards the games than anything. Rarely, he'll actually be genuinely interested, like with Party Hard.

I think I've heard Mike on stream literally once, and that was to call Rich a nerd then leave.
>>
>>321605625
>But you can go fast, as long as you get gud
There is no way to go fast in Marble Hill zone or Labyrinth zone in Sonic the Hedgehog.
>>
>>321608710
>implying Ristar does
The only ones I can remember are the first boss and the final boss.
>>
>>321608750
I remember 3 doing it pretty often, with Carnival Night Zone and Marble Garden Zone in specific.
>>
>>321608658
Effort requires that you understand the game mechanics and practice until you can master them. Memorizing specifics in individual levels so that you can play the game the way it was "meant to be play" (in Sonic: gofast) is not effort.

That type of shit is for autists and speedunners. The original sonics are not hard games and don't require intense effort to complete, but going fast requires you to memorize the levels to a very specific degree.

Again, that's probably why the series is notoriously beloved by people with literal autism.
>>
>>321608710
Mario's bosses are pretty shit too.
>>
>>321608727
Mike is really the funny one of the bunch. He is the most entertaining one and its a shame he doesn't play the games more. Jay is entertaining on the stream when he talks about movies, it's usually more entertaining than whatever Rich and AIDS are talking about. I guess the only reason to watch them is to try and catch glimpses of behind the scenes Mike but thats about it.
>>
>>321608856
I don't think anyone's going to contest that unless your talking about the RPGs.
>>
>>321607298
>A valid point, though you could add in Yoshi as an additional playable character for SMW.
I suppose I could... but the question is, should I? Is he really a playable character? He seems more like an item power up to me.

>>321607298
>He certainly has more functionality than the super/hyper transforms.
Explain.

>>321607298
>The special abilities are mostly utilized rather well in Sonic (Sans tails flying). And the cape in SMW breaks many stages. But the stages themselves in SMW are designed around the more economic moveset that Mario has rather well. You rarely hit the random spike traps and cheap hazards that Sonic contains.
You're right, I do rarely hit "random" (there is nothing random about it, honestly) spikes and cheap hazards. Because they are few and far between. It gets exaggurated a lot, how bad of a issue they really are, I think. Only an 8 year old has any right to get so butt flustered about occasionally dying in a video game and having to go back ~15 seconds to the nearest check point, no matter if his death was cheap or not. Even if it was, that ought to be something should only be a factor during his very first playthrough of the game.

Show me a specific example of spike or pit placement you find distasteful, if you want and we can discuss.
>>321607298
>Complexity!=better designed.
I don't know about that. That's questionable.
>>321607298
>onic's physics don't really contribute to the stop and go nature of these levels,
What evidence do you have to support your claim that this is truly the nature of "these" levels (what ones are you referring to, again?)

>>321606798
>Agreed, but SMW was a launch title released in 1991 and Sonic was released the same year as the Sega Saturn.
Fair, it's not a perfect comparison. I just may have to write up another one comparing it to SMW2. Perhaps that would be more appropriate. I'm still not sure SMW2 would win. There's a lot of different colored Yoshis but they all play exactly the same, do they not?
>>
>>321608851
>Memorizing specifics in individual levels so that you can play the game the way it was "meant to be play" (in Sonic: gofast) is not effort.
According to who? You?

Just because you have Alzheimer's doesn't mean the game is shit, my dear friendo.
>>
>>321608770
Mike thinks video games are a waste of time. Fat fuck spends plenty watching Star Trek though the fucking fraud. But yeah he has been on stream a couple of times and it was entertaining but never too much so not worth watching often.
>>
File: 1438308609647.jpg (114 KB, 970x880) Image search: [Google]
1438308609647.jpg
114 KB, 970x880
>>321608919
his dry af humor is really the best. He's the king of not laughing at his own jokes.

i want to be like mike
>>
>>321609118
Not everyone craves interactivity in their media.
>>
>>321602502
/thread
>>
>>321608526
>requires you to memorize the levels and play it over and over.
>requires you to play it over and over
>requires you to play it
Oh, wait, so you're a filthy casual who doesn't care about actually playing video games? Then literally why do you play video games?
>>
File: Peach_Mario_2.jpg (13 KB, 206x275) Image search: [Google]
Peach_Mario_2.jpg
13 KB, 206x275
blue sphere is a chore
>>
File: 1450892086816.png (735 KB, 851x937) Image search: [Google]
1450892086816.png
735 KB, 851x937
>199x
>thousands of mario clones all over the place
>tons of godlike pc games that only rich intelligent jerks get to enjoy
>there is only one sonic
>enjoy master race and the occaisional sonic game since its unique and fun
>people defend mario games
>even when you could straight up play a 1:1 recreation on 1990s newgrounds
>>
>Something is horribly amiss about Sonic's third outing. Is it the fact that the game wasn't fully completed and half the content was held back for the "sequel," Sonic & Knuckles? Is it the messy level designs, which seem to have been constructed specifically for the sake of bogging Sonic down with small, annoying impediments? Is it the dull and forgettable enemies? The tepid soundtrack? The irritating bonus stages? Ah, maybe it's all the above. Sonic 3 is, in retrospect, the point where the series' star lost some of its shine -- a decent if unremarkable game. Given its pedigree, "decent" isn't good enough.
>>
>>321601448
>we need 200k+ views in a hurry!
>i've got it, lets piss off the autistic sonic fanbase and get a million autistic dislikes!
shills pls go
>>
>>321609326
>>321609103
You don't have to memorize any level in a game like SMW to play it pretty quickly and feel like you're advancing through the game.

I have never liked Sonic because I have never found it enjoyable. I played other shit when that console was popular. Why do you hold on to shit games when games like Ecco on the same system were so much better?
>>
>>321609809
You don't need to memorize shit in Sonic either if you just want to advance through the game.

Honestly, you are starting to sound like a casual.
>>
Why are mike and jay friends with the bald man?
Rich is the butt of their jokes, but what is the bald man for?
>>
>>321609989
You're intentionally ignoring shit I'm saying because you're an autistic sonic faggot. I said the original Sonics are not hard to advance through, but you have to go slow. If you want to GOFAST you have to memorize where traps and enemies are.

How autistic are you that you cannot understand this?
>>
>faggots that don't play video games
>/v/ worships them

No wonder pewdiepie makes 12 million annually.
>>
>>321610118
to get his e-peen sucked by all the dick riders that watch their stream.

that's what it turned into anyway, a huge circlejerk
>>
>>321608996
>He certainly has more functionality than the super/hyper transforms.
Yoshi can attain certain abilities from varied colored koopas. Blue can make him fly, red gives him a three pronged fire attack and yellow gives him a ground pound. Different colored yoshis also get their koopa ability when grabbing whatever shell. As an extension of Mario, he gives him higher jumps (when dismounting via R) and allows people to pull off trick maneuvers by having Yoshi tank hits (kinda useless as that is mostly utilized in ROM hacks and the special stages). Yoshi also changes the hitbox and movement physics a bit, as requires a bit more inertia to stop/turn.

IRRC, the emerald abilities basically make Sonic/Tails really fast and give them higher jumps (and a small double jump, I think). I recall Knuckles getting a bit more than that, but it's been a while since I've used their super/hyper forms.

>Show me a specific example of spike or pit placement you find distasteful, if you want and we can discuss.
Now that I think about it, this is much more of a Sonic 1 problem than 3. Marble Garden in that game especially had tons of unnecessary traps strewn about the entire thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxj68273OJ4

>What evidence do you have to support your claim that this is truly the nature of "these" levels (what ones are you referring to, again?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CM5CzLJ0U0
And levels like Hydrocity have a lot of belts and painfully slow sections that feel like padding more than anything. As Sonic has to accelerate a lot more than Mario (who is also less floaty), the stopping and going simply feels much more tedious with Sonic than it does Mario. Mario reaches max speed quickly, stops quickly, turns quickly, and falls faster than Sonic.

>There's a lot of different colored Yoshis but they all play exactly the same, do they not?
Yes, they do.
>>
>>321610276
>If you want to GOFAST you have to memorize where traps and enemies are.
Yes, and you also said this took no skill. Which is funny, because you speak as if this was really hard to do yet you say it doesn't. Hence, I assume you're just a butthurt casual.

But if your point is only
>If you want to GOFAST you have to memorize where traps and enemies are.
Then I fully agree with you. Memorization is needed to know which paths to take, where to jump, where the enemies are and all that shit.
>>
>>321609809
Sounds like you're basing your whole position of "Mario is overall superior to Sonic" around this idea that memorization-flavored gameplay mechanics are fundamentally flawed, somehow. Then you go on to claim other games are objectively better.

Explain to me how you are able to do that and why anyone in this thread should resume taking you seriously.
>>
>>321607754
>This fucking piece of shit did it.
You sure are getting emotional, treating this as a crime and finding culprits. Have you ever considered that getting emotionally involved with cartoon animals isn't a healthy course of action, chief?
>>
>>321609559
>people defend mario games
There's no need to defend them, they're great platformers by any metric. You're just looking at this in hindsight. Your whole attitude is repulsive, no wonder why you're posting with an anime avatar.
>>
>>321611206
Nice shitpost. Deserves a frank response.

So, have you noticed that the post I was replying to had nothing to do with Sonic? And mine didn't mention him or his series either? Isn't that a funny thing! It's almost like you're projecting.
>>
>>321610654
Mario is a better platformer than Sonic. So is Ecco. That's because Sonic encourages you to go fast with a character that accelerates and who's entire premise is "wow he goes fast". When you aren't going fast, Sonic moves slow as shit compared to characters in other platformers of the era. Since you appear to have some issue with Mario, let's only talk about Ecco. In Ecco the platforming is set up so that you can respond with adequate time and see what's in front of you to react to it. The character speed is logical for someone playing the game and requires thought and understanding of the controls. Sonic, instead speeds up your character very quickly so that you can't see or react to shit without knowing what's ahead of you to begin with, which seems flawed as shit to me in comparison.

One is about skill of mastering a platformer, the other is about memorization of a series of obstacles.

>>321610486
I never said fucking once that it takes no skill, only that it takes memorization. If your definition of skill is memorization though, I would call that a flawed definition.
>>
>>321610486
>you can only do good at the game if you know how beforehand
>you can't naturally figure it out as you play it the first time around
Trial and error is not a skill.
>>
>>321612202
ecco is a game for hipsters though
>>
>>321610332
>>321610332
>unnecessary traps strewn about the entire thing.
How were they unnecessary? Unnecessary in the sense that this whole level was a mistake. It really does break up the fast pace established in Green Hill. There was no need for that, but that's what they were worried was necessary. There had never been a game quite like this before and the team felt compelled to make Marble Zone a decidedly platforming-heavy level, like a safeguard to make sure players didn't get overwhelmed by the experience. That's their story, at least. Whatever the case may be, the fact is they did intend for Marble Zone to be a platformer; it was supposed to contain even more traps and hazards than usual. So, in that sense it's not fair to call their inclusion unnecessary or flawed -- it's not, it clearly achieved what it was set out to do. Although, yes like I said the fact still remains that including them in the first place was an unnecessary mistake. Just keep in mind we're looking back on it now with the benefit of hindsight.
>>
I never really liked Sonic games, even the ones that were generally considered to be good. I tend to agree with the arguments about the level design not suiting the mechanics (or at least the way the game is marketed).

I can understand the arguments against that, but the bottom line is that Sonic games just aren't fun for me. Maybe some of you guys like playing them over and over to get good enough to go fast, but for me if I'm not having fun playing a platformer until I've memorized the level then there's something wrong with how the game was made.
>>
>>321612202
>I never said fucking once that it takes no skill
>>321608851
>Memorizing specifics in individual levels so that you can play the game the way it was "meant to be play" (in Sonic: gofast) is not effort.
inb4 THAT WAS NOT ME xD

>>321612331
>you can only do good at the game if you know how beforehand
And this is how I know you played nothing but casual shit. You're never going to be awesome your first time through and this applies to all kinds of games. Want to show a friend your sick platforming skills? Well, you're going to have to memorize the layout of the levels. Want to show your friend how to beat an FPS level without taking any damage? You're going to have to memorize the position of each enemy and how to approach them while minimizing the chance of taking damage as much as you can. Want to show your friend how you cage the enemy inside your walls in a RTS map? You're going to have to learn the position of all the resources in the map as well as the most optimal build order to cage the enemy before the round gets to a point you can't do it anymore. Want to 1cc some really hard shmup? You're going to have to learn the what, the how and the when of each pattern you'll face, as well as of whatever game-specific gimmick the game might have.

You fucks are fucking useless, demanding the thrills without any of the effort. They made Sonic Unleashed, Colours and Generations for you, go play those.
>>
>>321613389
fucking this
>>
>>321612202
>>321612202
>Mario is a better platformer than Sonic
Oh ok, I'll believe you when you prove me wrong about:
>>321605268
>>321605364

>>321612202
>So is Ecco
It clearly is not. I don't think Ecco even qualifies as a platformer. It's technically much more of a puzzle game.

>>321612202
>That's because Sonic encourages you to go fast with a character that accelerates and who's entire premise is "wow he goes fast".
No it doesn't and no it isn't. I do not believe for one second that you have even a basic, proper understanding of what Sonic is about. You strike me as some teenager who watched one too many Let's Plays, the way you profess to know so much about a game yet obviously know very little make feels like you're just copying somebody else's opinion who apparently also didn't know what he was talking about.

>>321612202
>When you aren't going fast, Sonic moves slow as shit compared to characters in other platformers of the era.
Ok? And your point is what, exactly? And don't say anything about that being wrong because "muh gotta go fast" myth.

>>321612202
>Since you appear to have some issue with Mario, let's only talk about Ecco.
I actually don't. I don't know why you would think that.

>>321612202
>The character speed is logical for someone playing the game and requires thought and understanding of the controls.
Oh wow, just like Sonic. You would know that if you had been thoughtful enough to bother developing an actual understanding of that game.

>>321612202
>Sonic, instead speeds up your character very quickly so that you can't see or react to shit without knowing what's ahead of you to begin with, which seems flawed as shit to me in comparison.
Well, like we already showed you don't know what the hell you're even talking about when it comes to Sonic. I will still say, though, that Sonic is generally accepted as a very easy game. And it is. And I find it pathetic that anyone who plays vidya avidly enough to be here on /v/ would have struggled.
>>
File: fedoratip.gif (3 MB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
fedoratip.gif
3 MB, 512x288
>>321601448
>>
>>321601448
That is such a shit fucking logo

I can tell the hosts of that show aren't the brightest bunch, because if I can't visibly see the full name from a 4chan thumbnail, how do you expect the idiots on youtube not to think that says "viously orded". It's a clever idea, but a clever idea is only clever if executed well

Change the "Pre" and "Rec" to white and we've got a deal.
>>
>>321614580
>how do you expect the idiots on youtube not to think that says "viously orded"

Because its the channel name that shows right below it
>>
>>321601448
It's almost as if the actual gameplay isn't about speed like the marketing memes suggest.
>>
>>321605268
The way Super Mario World is designed, it doesn't really need any characters other than Mario/Luigi
What the hell is "gimmicky" about Super Mario World's powerups?
The levels themselves are mostly linear, but the game as a whole is hardly like that. You can beat the whole thing in 11 or 12 levels, or go as far as exploring every level in every area. The Switch Palace system, which effects other levels, is pretty cool imo.
I don't know why SMW would need minigames, but okay.
>>321605364
At least both players function the game. Playing as Tails isn't like "really" playing the game, since he can't die and all. SMW does not have a versus mode, however, which could have been cool. Which is a shame, since SMB3 had one. (Come to think of it, SMB3 also had a couple minigames...)
Actually, there are cutscenes after you beat each castle. Not as good as Sonic 3's, sure, but how could one call Sonic 3's story "in depth" with "cutscenes way ahead of their time" when Final Fantasy VI came out around the same time?
Yeah, Sonic 3 has better music.
No shit Super Mario World isn't "cutting edge" like Sonic 3, it's a launch title. Also, I feel that Super Mario World has a distinct feel from Super Mario Bros. 3, with its different art style (nowadays every Mario game has the same art style) and different level design philosophies especially.
Gameplay-wise, sure, though you can't deny the "animal mascot WITH AN ATTITUDE in a platformer" thing in the early 90s (characters like Bubsy and Aero the Acrobat) was no doubt given birth to by Sonic.
It's all down to personal preference, anon. Come off it.
>>
>>321601448
>things are so bad for Nintendrones they're trying to pick fight with corpses
>>
>>321614836
The Related videos sidebar, anon. People who don't initially watch their content get introduced to that via that sidebar videos, and if they can't tell what the title of the video is by the thumbnail, that's going to turn people off.
>>
gitgud
>>
>>321604639
creepy perverts scared her away from appearing on camera ever again
>>
>>321614912
>It's all down to personal preference, anon. Come off it.
No. I mean, sure people are allowed to like whichever one they like best. I'm fine with that; I don't judge them for it. Personally, I enjoy both franchises although I do favor Sonic. But my whole point was that if we can all take a step outside of our opinions and try to look at both of these games, and compare the facts, we can clearly see S3K was a more robust, extensive game with a greater amount of content.
>>
>>321614912
>The way Super Mario World is designed, it doesn't really need any characters other than Mario/Luigi
Well neither did S3K... but they fucking added that shit in anyway!

But also, wait are you saying you don't think SMW would have benefited from the addition of extra characters? In other words, more content? What, you don't like content?

>>321614912
>What the hell is "gimmicky" about Super Mario World's powerups?
They're item power ups that you have to collect. They emerge from objects that you interact with in the game world. When I say gimmicky I'm just referring to most types of interactive objects within a level. Hence, SMW's powerup system is gimmick-based. S3K contains that as well, with things like the elemental shields, but each character also comes equipped with special abilities which they can utilize at will at any time. Which is quite different.

>>321614912
>The levels themselves are mostly linear, but the game as a whole is hardly like that. You can beat the whole thing in 11 or 12 levels, or go as far as exploring every level in every area.
Well, ok. I can't tell you the game has fewer levels. But you can't tell me those levels are more well designed. It's a matter of quality vs quantity.
>>
>>321617105
>Hence, SMW's powerup system is gimmick-based.
Wait, you can't do that. You didn't explain anything, then said "hence" and came to a conclusion. You appear to be having brain problems and I suggest you post them before posting again.
>>
>>321601448

Sonic 1 is the only Genesis Sonic game that's mediocre, Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles were all really fucking good. Sonic CD was pretty good and the last gen port of it that fixed the physics made that game even better.
>>
File: LOCK ON TECHNOLOGY.jpg (35 KB, 283x750) Image search: [Google]
LOCK ON TECHNOLOGY.jpg
35 KB, 283x750
>this thread

I bet you fucking cucks hate super mario world, too. Genesis sanics were fantastic.
>>
Sonic 1? Sure. 2 and 3 had great level design that encourages playing well to go fast. 1 had a lot of unpassable roadblocks that you can't overpass by playing well in every zone other than Green Hill and Star Light.
>>
>>321618425
What don't you understand you fucking asshole?
>>
>>321601448
PreRec are fucking garbage
>>
>>321617105
To preface, I'm a different guy and this is my first post in the thread.

>But also, wait are you saying you don't think SMW would have benefited from the addition of extra characters? In other words, more content? What, you don't like content?

I'd argue that that would depend upon context of the game and person in question. For example, I tend to prefer Castlevania 1 and 4 to Castlevania 3 in part because I prefer to just take a single character and find their intricacies to help me advance in the game. I can appreciate that there are more characters in Castlevania 3 but I don't play Castlevania to play around with different playstyles, I play it to try to master a single experience (I suppose kinda like Ninja Gaiden).

>They're item power ups that you have to collect. They emerge from objects that you interact with in the game world. When I say gimmicky I'm just referring to most types of interactive objects within a level. Hence, SMW's powerup system is gimmick-based.

I'm a bit confused at this. Couldn't the first two sentences apply to most games? For example, let's say you're playing Dark Souls. You happen upon a chest. You interact with said chest by opening it. You find a weapon within. In this scenario you have collected a weapon (which is an imperfect stand-in for a power up, admittedly) by interacting with an object in the game world. I don't follow how this is a gimmick.
>>
>>321610118
I think he's Jessie's friend so they probably know him through her
>>
>>321618715
Do you like forcing shitty fucking memes like a degenerate faggot with nothing to do?

You do? Good. The first step towards being a better person is acknowledging you're a piece of shit.

Your "PreRec is shit" meme has never been funny. Never will. Nobody scrolls down the catalog, sees your post and laughs. They fucking ignore it. Why? Because you're a pathetic little 9gag crossposting memester with nothing better to do besides force shitty memes on an anonymous imageboard. Get a life. Go outside. Stop making fucking threads about a fucking DSP being shit. We're sick of this. I'm sick of this." meme has never been funny. Never will. Nobody scrolls down the catalog, sees your post and laughs. They fucking ignore it. Why? Because you're a pathetic little 9gag crossposting memester with nothing better to do besides force shitty memes on an anonymous imageboard. Get a life. Go outside. Stop making fucking threads about a fucking DSP being shit. We're sick of this. I'm sick of this.

But you know what? No. I won't stop there. Have you ever sat down and thought, "I could be productive?" Have you? If you haven't then here's a newsflash. In that time it took to create this thread you could have called that one girl that looks at you longingly and request a date. But no, you post a fucking "PreRec" comment. Ever stop to think about what you could be doing if you didn't waste your life away in your parents' basement posting memes?

You could be an astronaut. You could be the CEO of a profitable company. You could be rich. Or, instead, you chose to post memes.

That said, It's cover does kinda look like fat balding men. Fuck off, meme poser
>>
>>321608851
>but going fast requires you to memorize the levels to a very specific degree.

this is outright bullshit, as you can "go fast" in, say, Lava Reef (the second-to-last level of S3&K) without ever having played it before. there are plenty of fast bits. just like there are plenty of more traditionally platform-y bits.

you're just wrong, sorry.
>>
>>321619161
Anon, they played through Bloodborne and claimed that the game never taught you about the different attack types.
Considering that there's an entire tutorial area to teach you about that stuff, and said tutorial area is literally three seconds away from the center of the game's hubworld, this means that they went through the entire game without ever actually exploring the entire Hunter's Dream. They probably didn't even find the stump that you can use to configure the bath messenger's cosmetic appearance.

The last video of their's I watched, was one where they complained about onscreen tutorials such as "Press X to jump". They actually complained about games teaching the player the controls.

Anon.

I watched them play Octodad.

I watched their entire Octodad playthrough.

When I said "PreRec are fucking garbage", I am not saying it as a joke or a meme. I have seen Hell. I have seen PreRec. And I know which I'd rather visit as a vacation.
>>
>>321619091
>I don't follow how this is a gimmick.
I never meant to use the word in a literal sense. Just think of it as another word for objects. So when I say SMW powerups are gimmick-based, I'm saying the powerups are only accessible through objects, such as the ? bricks you hit to spawn a mushroom. Make sense?
>>
>>321619560
Ah, yeah, that makes more sense now given the context
>>
>>321602424
>>321602502
>>321602573
these
>>
>>321608658
You're retarded, real games test actual ability to respond fast. Anyone can memorize a map layout if they play it enough times. There's no skill involved, you're lying to yourself and equating autism to skill.
>>
>>321620528
>real games test actual ability to respond fast
So does Sonic, dumbass.
>autism
Epic fuckign meme.
>>
File: Rem.png (3 MB, 1449x1080) Image search: [Google]
Rem.png
3 MB, 1449x1080
Isn't this the review where they tried to do nothing but go fast, then complained that it was impossible to react to enemies in time because they were playing on a lag ridden HDTV in addition to not knowing to press down when running into enemies to turn into a ball?
>>
>>321622152
yes
>>
File: chao.jpg (165 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
chao.jpg
165 KB, 1200x1200
>>321603456
My favorite is Sonic Adventure 2.
>>
>>321602424

Except you can't go fast unless you've already played the game and know what the hazards are, and it's not fun unless you're going fast.
>>
>>321622461
>games aren't fun unless i'm winning!
Disgusting.
>>
>>321622698

It's only in sanic where being bad at the game is unfun, because of the painfully slow acceleration from standstill. Better games are still fun even if you're shit at them and don't require memorization of levels to be good at them.
>>
>>321622798
Oh you mean the game where it's possible to do a spin dash and instantly accelerate to max speed in as little as 15~ or so frames? God damn that's harsh. So fucking slow. Who has time for that? I don't want to fucking learn stuff and have to play the fucking game. I just want to win. Where's my achievement?
>>
>>321601448
These guys are the fucking slowpokes.
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.