[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this a good twist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 8
File: origami killer.jpg (22 KB, 580x328) Image search: [Google]
origami killer.jpg
22 KB, 580x328
Was this a good twist?
>>
>>321537649
Mostly ok. The shit where he killed the guy with the cash register while you were playing as him was pretty dumb.
>>
>>321537649
It was a fucking retarded twist. You can hear the character's thoughts throughout the entirety of the fucking game. That coupled with the fact Ethan conveniently blacks out all the fucking time with no explanation as to why, just showcases what a hack Cage is.
>>
>>321537649
It would've been great if you didn't have an "inner thoughts" button that would've, if done with any semblance of realism, given away he was the killer the second you were presented with someone who was linked to the killings.

It was a great story, but a shitty game.
>>
SHAAAUUUUNNNNN
>>
>>321537903
>It was a great story

:^)
>>
>>321538007
This tbqhfam
>>
It was a horrible twist, though not nearly as bad as the mansion shoot-out where the fat guy is rolling around on the floor headshotting everyone in the room with terminator levels of accuracy.
>>
>>321537649

It was a twist stupid enough to not believe in if you were playing the game the first time around already knowing it ahead of time. I was convinced it was some shitty meme halfway through it until it actually happened.
>>
>>321537649
It wasn't even a good game.
>>
>>321537649
No, there was absolutely no foreshadowing to suggest that he could be the killer.
>>
HOW'D HE GET THE GLASS SHARDS IN THE TUNNEL HE CAN'T EVEN FIT
>>
maybe if you couldn't read his inner thoughts and hear him talking to himself about how he has to catch the killer it would have been.

Or if they portrayed him as having a split personality, as dumb as that could be.
>>
>>321538007
X
>>
The plot was really dumb and had a fuckload of plotholes.
BUT
It's still an enjoyable "game".
And your choices actually matter, not like a Telltale game.
>>
>the fathers who try to save their sons are the ones who die

You fucking idiot, Shelby.
>>
Terrible story but still well received actors made this game playable
>>
>>321537649
Should've kept the supernatural part, whole game wasn't really rooted in reality anyway.
Would've made the plot twist more bearable imo
>>
>>321537649
It was a terrible twist because the character's internal thoughts were written as if without knowledge of the twist. The twist was reliant on the narrator essentially lying to the audience.

Also I thought Shellby was cool and I was mad that his character got shat up at the end.
>>
>>321538508
He used a kid to do it
>>
I enjoyed the game but no the twist was pretty shitty once you put a little thought into it
>>
>>321537649
>Ethan is close to setting his son free
>Scott comes out of nowhere and wants to kill Ethan for doing that
Why? Didn't Scott just want to see that parents would love their children enough to do anything to rescue them?
>>
>>321539161
Poor dad in the glass tunnel

Guess he just didn't love his son enough!
>>
>>321537649
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og
>>
Remember when Ethan kept blacking out inexplicably and waking up with origami in his hand?

Remember when Ethan had to cut off his finger on camera for another person telling him to do all this and after, still thought he could be the origami killer?

Remember when Madison met Scott Shelby's mother in the old folk's home and learned the name of the killer was "Scott Shelby" and freaked out, despite not knowing who Scott Shelby was at that point in the game?
>>
Because of the fact that the game had to directly lie to your face to make that twist a reality means it's a shitty twist. Anyone can write a story that is unsolvable and at the end you just shit out who the villain is, it takes talent to drop clues and leave hints that can allow people to figure it out if they are clever enough but still leave most mystified. Heavy Rain's writing is a hack job and a half, elements that get introduced and never brought up ever again, flat out lying to the player, plot armor, the illusion of choice, it's a game that attempts to be a hollywood crime thriller in the style of say Se7en, but feels like someone imitating that story without understanding the moving parts, just the surface level.
>>
Not if you looked at the burger version cover.
>>
I didn't like the game but i am still happy that it didn't all went to shit like Fahrenheit
>>
>>321537649

Shelby's thoughts don't coincide with the actual truth behind events. It would be one thing if the language his thoughts use was written to be ambiguous, or not make explicit mention of his true intentions at least, but having a character outright lie to the player, not through spoken dialog (Which can be self-censored) but their own fucking mind is complete bullshit.

It COULD have been a good twist.
>>
File: 1433708426850.png (143 KB, 465x252) Image search: [Google]
1433708426850.png
143 KB, 465x252
>>321538007
>>
>>321539161
If certain conditions are met (I have no idea which), Scott won't try to kill Ethan and will instead let Ethan kill him.
>>
>>321539427

Remember when Ethan murdered a father of two in his own home?
>>
>>321542151
What?
>>
>>321542478
I think he's talking about the drug dealer that you can kill with a gun, or you can spare him.
>>
>>321537752
If it wasn't for this one part, it would have been a good twist. They could have cut that one sequence and it would have improved the story a bit.
>>
Anyone have the video of the mall scene where the kid like breaks his back bending backwards?

I can't find it for the life of me and I tried to find it a few months ago.
>>
File: 1422562643194.webm (525 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1422562643194.webm
525 KB, 640x360
>>321537649

mechanically it wasn't, since it requires Shelby's inner thoughts to be deceptive to the audience for absolutely no reason other than to make the twist a surprise.

The idea of it is fine, I think it would have been neat if Shelby was better written so it didn't need to rely on blatant misdirection to work, or if the game has it where shelby's sections make it clear he is the killer, but don't focus on it.

The game was weird for me, it felt like saw and se7en wanted a baby
>>
>>321537649
It was retarded, just like the whole game.
>>
>>321538672
The story wasn't very good. But me and my mates at uni enjoyed awkwardly "playing" characters with motion controls. Same as Beyond Two souls.

R.I.P awkwardly social police man. I let the scary black man crush you dead.
>>
Would someone happen to have a .gif or .webm of Jayden's loading screen? I swear I've looked for one or even a youtube video of it loopng but I never found it.

Its just so... charming.
>>
>>321537649

It would be a good twist but they basically have to lie to you to make it work,so no. Ethan's blackouts made no sense. The inner thoughts made no sense. The bit where Scott kills someone off-screen when you're playing makes no sense. Oh, and why Scott randomly attacks you when you're trying to save SHAAAAAAAAAAAUN at the end.

>>321538007

I'm convinced the kid in Fallout 4 is named SHAUUUUN as a reference to this game. Don't ask why.
>>
>>321537649
Not that one
>>
>>321537649
No but you know who would have been a better Origami Killer?

Blake.
>>
He was the comfiest most likeable character I've ever played as in a game. It's a bit shit how all the nuance to his personality just goes out the window after the twist is revealed. He's a bit too generic bad guy at the end. By the way, is there any way to prevent him from dying? After several playthroughs I always get him killed at the end.
>>
What was the deal with the Indian dad?

Why didn't he do anything when he had the box?
>>
>>321539427
Tip of the ice berg really, a lot of the plot holes come from the fact that shelby and Ethan originally had a psychic link but it was cut near the end and the story wasn't modified accordingly
>>
No it was a plot hole.
>>
>>321542816
He should learn English then, because his sentence said that ethan killed somebody in his own home
>>
>>321538748
Apart from the obviously French ones. Jayden and Shelby were really good though.
>>
>>321542816
And like you said, he's wrong, because you can spare him unlike ttg, which would kill that person 5 minutes later even if you spared him
>>
I could never buy this shit. The demo was just so awful. I was totally open to and even liking the QTE aspects, but then you're playing as a dude who manages to get the address of a woman by bribing someone. WITH A FIVE DOLLAR BILL.

And maybe I'm not being fair because I haven't played the full game to see if Jason was implied to be slow in some way, but this is not how a normal child acts. https://youtu.be/efZ0n2jpPJw?t=109
>>
>>321546250
I was pumped to play through that shit in Russian and Dutch(demo had those language options) my version of the game only had French, German and English, hope the ps4 re-release will have all languages
>>
>>321546425
Still better than any episode of any TellTaleGame
>>
>>321537649
No.
>>
>>321538672
It's the least shit of the Sadness Trilogy

Heavy Rain >>>> Fahrenheit >>>>>>>>> Beyond Two Souls
>>
I always wanted to play Beyond, does it suffer the same problems as this game?

To those of you who enjoyed Heavy Rain regardless of the "shit" plot twist, what did you think of Beyond?
>>
>>321546871
It's complete garbage.
>>
>>321546020
You can prevent him dying if all the other heroes die and you leave no witnesses.
>>
>>321537889
Fucking this
The game straight up lies to you and then pretends it was clever.
It's like you see a movie where you SEE someone killing people, but then the killer just magically turns out to be someone else.
Total bullshit
>>
>>321546871
I watched a friend online play it in full and it honestly seems better than Heavy Rain. The characters actually seem to act correctly and uses American and Canadian actors instead of French people speaking English.
>>
>Constantly hear character thoughts
>Shelby still thinking like he's actually hunting the killer
It's fucking retarded how he's thinking "Who killed the printer guy" when he fucking did it
>>
>>321538672
Lol no they fucking don't.
You can fail every part of the game and still get the same stupid ding as everybody else.
>>
I remember seeing in a random youtube video a "nightmare" like sequence back in Ethan's house where its completely flooded and you're swimming in it, however I was never able to find this when playing and I can't find the video anymore.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and more importantly how to trigger it?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

SHAAAAUUUUUNNNNN!!!111!!!
>>
>>321546871
It's just as bad in similar ways. Horrible writing, horrible acting, bad plot, bad game structure, more aggressive "PLEASE FEEL THINGS" moments, more stupid fucking rape scenes.
>>
>>321546871
Imagine being told that you got these awesome powers and then they work only by the script you cant have a strategy, one time you can use them to choke, other times to impersonate and even then often is just to watch them do the thing.
>>
File: 13i.png (600 KB, 665x481) Image search: [Google]
13i.png
600 KB, 665x481
It would be like if in 999 you could hear Ace's inner thoughts and according to them he does seem a totally normal guy with no bad intentions when he's actually a complete mudering psychopath. See what's wrong about it?

If the game has to cling on to straight up lying to the player to build up tension and mystery instead of leaving clever and well thought clues it's badly written. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, but there's that.
>>
>>321546228
Yes, Ethan killed a drug dealer in his (the drug dealer's) own home.
>>
https://youtu.be/X-L-G1q_0L8

Every thread.
>>
>>321537649
When this game came out i thought it was good but now i realize that it's just unintentionally funny pretentious ripoff of 90s "thriller" movies that just can't be taken seriosly.
>>
>>321547747
NAHMAN JAYDEN EFF BEE EYE
>>
File: 1365381473004.png (233 KB, 620x634) Image search: [Google]
1365381473004.png
233 KB, 620x634
Has there been a murder mystery game other than Heavy Rain that was done right?
>>
>>321546871
The story goes all over the fucking place. It's bad.
>>
>Teenagers discover girl has ghost powers
>BURN THE HERETIC and they lock her in a fucking cupboard
Where does Cage get his information on human behavior from?
>>
>>321547747
this is difficult to watch.
>>
SHAUN
SHAUN
SHAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN
>>
>>321548091
You kidding me? It's hilarious.

>That guy who just keeps walking into Jayden
>>
>>321547747
this shit is fucking hilarious and retarded
>>
File: 1403058148793.png (216 KB, 393x391) Image search: [Google]
1403058148793.png
216 KB, 393x391
>>321539410
>Ethan!
>Shaun!
>>
File: 1440637798428.jpg (16 KB, 196x250) Image search: [Google]
1440637798428.jpg
16 KB, 196x250
2007-2010 7th gen was so comfy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwLEXXVCTxk
>>
>>321546871
>I always wanted to play Beyond, does it suffer the same problems as this game?
Here's a clue, the story as written was so fucking poorly handled and sequenced in David Cage's attempt to be le autour film maker that in the remastered version of the game they included an option to play the story rearranged so you can actually make fucking sense of it. That doesn't stop it from being completely unintelligible though.
>>
>>321547163
Right, like your fbi man dies and after that your investigate with the previously killed madison the club owner's private room, right, fucking moron?
>>
>>321547741
The sentence is wrongly phrased, you dummy.
She was was really good looking watching Oprah in her room
>oprah's room according to your retard logic
>>
JASON?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raQjBlCLq-k
>>
How did that fat fuck lay all that broken glass doe?
>>
>>321549209
>too stupid to get what happened in beyond two souls
Now that is a new issue with the game, that I haven't heard yet. Good for you.
>>
>>321549763
>implyin that is the biggest flaw with HR
>>
It surprised me, but I really wish he wasn't the killer. Seemed kinda forced to me.
>>
>>321549293
Yeah and I bet you go investigate it as the guy who killed her as he walks around and thinks "I wonder who killed her"
>>
>>321537649
>I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR A FATHER THAT WOULD ACTUALLY DIE FOR HIS SON
>OKAY I'M THAT FATHER I DRANK THE POISON AND EVERYTHING
>WELP I GUESS I'LL KILL YOU ANYWAYS
>>
File: Tifa face.png (636 KB, 2000x1921) Image search: [Google]
Tifa face.png
636 KB, 2000x1921
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-L-G1q_0L8

There will never be a period of years in gaming more funny than last gen.
>>
Reminder that an injured guy was able to outrun an entire SWAT Unit.
>>
>>321546871
Beyond Two Souls is a story about the eternal question of what happens after death. The way it answers this is horribly simplistic.
>>
>>321550430
No. The doctor doesn't show up anymore. Good to know that you never played this game before.
Shelby is the worst part of the game, still miles better than twd
>>
>>321549898
I understood what happened just fine. The problem is none of it makes any sense and almost every single time the answer for "Why did this happen?" is simply because the script demanded it.
>>
>>321537903
>It was a great story
It really wasn't the story was just as terrible.
>>
>>321550430
>either save the kid or don't
>multiple people die or don't
>catch the killer or don't
>ttg
>saved some people
>lol, they die in the next episode
>get bitten and turn to a zombie no matter what
>save one or the other person
>either person dies anyway, who cares?
Love those cutscene simularors and meaningless decisions from TTG
>>
>>321547187
It was part of the cut content involving the more supernatural elements of the game. It never made it into the final release.
>>
>>321550968
Still the dumbest critique of.B:TS
>>
>>321547960
>Heavy Rain
>done right

dear god what do you consider done wrong
>>
>>321546871
Beyond is pretty bad. It's just a giant mess of a plot and has scenes that most of the time don't even connect to each other. Maybe half of the game could just be taken out because it's pointless fluff. The only saving grace of Beyond is how stupid it can get
>>
>let's make the main point-of-view character, whose inner thoughts we're privy to in great detail throughout the game, the le twist killer

S M H
>>
>>321539410
Oh fuck I'm dying.
>>
>>321551274
>>321550921
At least TellTale writing is cohesive and not full enormous important plot holes.
>>
>>321551547
The dumbest critique is that the story is poorly written and doesn't make logical sense? What kind of critique are you looking for, the gameplay is slow?
>>
>>321548091
Hey man what's your problem?
>>
>>321551356
Would you happen to know where I could watch this again? I think it would have been amazing if something like that was put in the game.
>>
>>321553773
Don't say I'm never good to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxpdGB6Gbac
>>
>>321554040
You are nice anon, thank you.
>>
>>321552481
It makes perfect sense. It just has internal logic, which a lot movies, games do. You can't seem to grasp that for whatever reason.
>>
>>321552314
>wiring is cohesive
It is easier to write a supposedly cohesive plot, when none of your decisions matter and you don't have to account for shit.
>what about that character that could've survived if you did x,y and z?
>kill him later
>what about the characters trusting somebody who causes multiple year long friends to die and who is a worthless piece of shit?
>who cares? Retarded fanboys will defend our plot and call it cohesive on a fingolian telegram meeting point online
>>
>>321554656
I'd much rather lazy writing than objectively bad writing.
>>
>>321555426
>objective
>lazy
Interchangeable depending on your degree of fanboyism
>liking decisions which don't matter at all
Watch it on youtube instead.
Better yet, don't play any ttg or david cage games and play until dawn instead.
Better writing, gameplay and decisions which matter
>>
>>321555426
>implying mystery man from twd s1, russian fag from s2, bigby from twamu, weren't objectively badly written
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.