[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished this for the first time and it was fucking great.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: media_cloud_big.jpg (153 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
media_cloud_big.jpg
153 KB, 800x600
I just finished this for the first time and it was fucking great. Memorable and emotional moments, Aeris death got me hard.

Now i understand why people liked this game so much. However, i need more.
I've already played IX, Tactics, and X (havent finished it, but played it 80%).
Which other game of this franchise should i pick up? I want to try the new ones but i remember playing 2 hours of XII and then it felt like shit. XIII its the same or has some differences?
>>
>>321534681

4 5 6 12
>>
did you play tactics advance for the gba? that was my shit as a kid, loved dragoons, the viera and generally being a dick as ninja class
>>
>>321534681

Play Tactics next
>>
>>321534681

What did you like about 7? The battle system? The materia? If you tell us what you liked about it, it would probably help.
>>
>>321536137
The story (specially the fact that a main character dies), the music and the character design. I wasn't a fan of the materia system but i didn't disliked it either.
>>
>>321534681
You gotta play the GBA version of 6.
>>
>>321534681
>I want to try the new ones but i remember playing 2 hours of XII and then it felt like shit. XIII its the same or has some differences?
I personally hate XII and never bothered to finish it, but was totally surprised by XIII games. They ain't my favorites, but they definitely were entertaining as hell, and steadily improved towards the end. LR was my last year's GOTY.
>>
Or if you still want a great story, check out Breath of fire 3 and Xenogears.
>>
>>321536593
>character design

play kingdom hearts you fucking edgelord.
>>
>>321537138
reddit awaits you my friend!
>>
>>321536593

If you liked the sort of technopunk aesthetic, and monster designs, I'm not sure which FF you should play. Probably 6, it doesn't have quite the same hard on for that style as in 7, but it's still very technophile.

Most of the other FFs explore varying settings, most take an approach to fantasy. If you don't mind dated graphics, you could always try the SaGa series. Final Fantasy Legends series is good. I'd maybe start with SaGa Frontier though.
>>
>>321534681
>Aeris death got me hard
You got an erection from that? you sick fuck
>>
File: 1373436522756.jpg (1 MB, 4944x3192) Image search: [Google]
1373436522756.jpg
1 MB, 4944x3192
People like to hate on this chart but I think it serves it's purpose well.

OP I would play the SNES FFs next. Start with IV if you can but if you want to play VI instead that's cool too.
>>
Breath of Fire IV is really good.
>>
>>321537957

My issue with it is that it wants you to go through 4 before anything else. I agree that 7 probably has the lowest barrier of entry, but it should branch immediately instead of making you go through 4.

I'd either swap 4 with 6, or branch from 7 with 4, 6, 10, and 12.
>>
>>321538651
Ya I have a bias towards 4 (it's my favorite) so I'm never going to agree with you there but I get your point. Personally I think instead of having a linear path of 4 and 7, it should give you a choice to start with 3D or 2D, and branch from there.
>>
>>321534681
>i remember playing 2 hours of XII and then it felt like shit.
That's because the game takes so damn long to get going, but later on, once you have your whole party together and access to most of the map and game elements it's pretty good. I honestly like the game mechanics more than all other FFs, except maybe X.
>XIII its the same or has some differences?
It's even worse in that the hand-holding only ends 90% of the way through the game instead of a few hours. Imagine a FFX that's somehow even more linear, with less likable characters, and a bizarre story that doesn't draw you into the world.
At the end of X I actually cared about saving the world from Sin and the ending was great too, XIII has a non-ending that didn't leave me satisfied since I mostly didn't care about the characters anyway. I'm guessing that Square was already expecting to make sequels and left the ending open enough to allow for continuation.
>>
File: 1346533866954.jpg (48 KB, 381x301) Image search: [Google]
1346533866954.jpg
48 KB, 381x301
>>321534681
>Aeris death got me hard
What the fuck is wrong with you OP
>>
>>321537480
This. VII is definitely most similar to VI. The sprites and backgrounds are also close to pinnacle 16-bit era, so it shouldn't be a huge turnoff for the younguns.
>>
>>321534681
FFVI (III on Super Nintendo) was kind of like a testing ground for some of the more serious-ish ideas that would end up in VII, so that's a good play, if you don't mind the 2D graphics (which are some of the best looking for the 2D FF games). It's got a good soundtrack too, and a decent pace, and it definitely has a mix of that techno side in the world tech. There's a magic system soooort of similar to materia, with Espers, however once you un-equip the Espers, you keep the magic you've learned so you can keep teaching everyone everything easily (you get magic points after each battle, and learn new spells MUCH faster than in FFVII).

Only thing is this: DON'T get the version on Steam or iOS, it's a shitty ass port with RPG Maker graphics. Emulate the SNES version, or get the patched GBA rom version.
>>
>>321537957
>I want to lick Lightning's armpits
I'm glad this is a serious sentiment.
>>
>>321537957
>IV
>Most popular 2D FF

Get the fuck outta here with that
>>
>>321540947
but it is. notice all the sequels and remakes its gotten. reminder: America =/= the entire world. IV is by far the most popular FF in Japan.
>>
>>321534681
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT12DW2Fm9M

I always liked four. Kinda grindy compared to the rest, though. I just like redemption stories, though.
>>
>>321534681
I got stuck after the building collapsed and Barrett shot at it in anger after I think his daughter got taken.
This was like 12 years ago.
>>
>>321534681
Should check out Xenogears,Chrono Trigger, and the Suikoden series.
>>
>>321541053
Part of the issue there admittedly is that the Japanese dialogue for VI is shit. They hate Kefka because he was bland as fuck. Whereas in the west we love him because of all his batshit insane dialogue that got added, and now he's getting popularity back in Japan because when they made Dissidia they brought over the western characterization and dialogue instead of keeping the old stuff. Throwing in a scene of him fucking with Sephiroth didn't hurt either.
>>
>>321542340
I said nothing about VI.
>>
>>321540947
It is though.
>>
>>321542414
Was responding to that and the original as for why IV is more popular in Japan.
>>
File: Sector6-ffvii-plate2crop.png (75 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Sector6-ffvii-plate2crop.png
75 KB, 200x200
>>321541841
>building

Oh hon.
>>
No mention of VIII?, play it my man, it is an amazing ff, it has its flaws but it is great
>>
>>321542962
I'm starting that tonight. Admittedly I played about an hour of it back when I was in High School. All I remember is a Trex and a boss fight that I got fucked on because I put all my summons on Quistis and she fucks right off before the fight. I've also played up to the part where you're alone in the woods in FFIX and I've been meaning to find a copy of that to play once more. Not OP, btw.
>>
Have you tried playing VIII? It's pretty good.

Cons:
_Drawing is broken, makes monster fights too easy.
_Squall acts like an emo faggot sometimes.

pros
_card game
_some fights are actually hard and require preparation (they gon be easy if u farm a lot tho, just like every ff)
_love story will make u qq
_sexy teacher that wants ur cock
>>
FF 6 and 7 are the closest to each other in flow and style.
>>
>>321543907
VIII gave me issues, the graphics were somehow so much worse than VII, and the way the whole story goes full existential bullshit at the end is weird as hell.
>>
>>321534681
you already beat the best entry on the franchise.
any other FF will be anything but a let down now
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.