[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think we'll get good LOTR games ever again or are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: 1435981089265.jpg (992 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1435981089265.jpg
992 KB, 2048x1365
Do you think we'll get good LOTR games ever again or are we stuck with 'cinematic' experiences like Shadow of Mordor for the foreseeable future?
>>
Is there even a good LOTR game?
>>
File: 239882-coverps2.jpg (144 KB, 640x916) Image search: [Google]
239882-coverps2.jpg
144 KB, 640x916
>>321529952
Hullo Reddit
>>
SOM was actually a good game
>>
Lord of the rings game with Legolas played similar to Resident Evil 6 combat
>>
>>321529952
90% of fantasy games are tolkien shit. Chances are our favorite WRPG is LOTR even if it doesn't say so on the box
>>
File: 1430178485490.gif (3 MB, 604x340) Image search: [Google]
1430178485490.gif
3 MB, 604x340
>>321530124
>>
>>321529952
Return of the King.
The Hobbit.
The Third Age.
BFME:II

Unofficial:
LOTR:Total War
>>
it suffers the same problem as warhammer: the setting is the real good concept, but it translates well mostly in genres that do not sell well anymore (aka rts games), which means we are stuck with cinematic bullshit or games that take a single thing out of the entire setting instead of focusing on the global thing.
best way for now is to go for mods (for example third age total war or the m&b one)
>>
>>321530076
this is shit compared to the first one. Why do people keep unironically posting this as a good game.

If you want a good LOTR's game, try

LOTR - snes fags
The Battle For Middle Earth - PC battlefield fags
The Last Days - PC mod fags.
>>
>>321530076
>hack and slash
>>321530197
>RPGs
>>321530234
>strategy games
So the question still stands.
>>
>>321530517
Yes those are the genres. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make
>>
>>321530517
Not him, but that last post doesn't just contain strategy games. The Hobbit is quite good.

I think the real question here is; when will we get far enough away from the latest LOTR products and trends, have a rest period, and then a reintroduction/reimage-ing of LOTR in top tier modern day graphics?
>>
>>321530124
It's true. SoM is a 10/10 fucking with orcs simulator.

Just ignore the storyline and final boss.
>>
>>321530364
That's actually a real good point. To be honest I don't think anything Middle Earth related lends itself too well to most video game conventions. For example the dominant enemy you're always gonna fight are going to be Orcs and trolls on occasion, because Tolkien didn't give a shit about filling out a monster manual full of evil jellies or harpies and shit, that's fine for his world but not so much for an action game or RPG where enemy variety is important. Same with the idea of a bunch of different races going on an adventure, in LOTR that shit was rare and didn't happen often if at all like it does in your average fantasy RPG.
>>
File: FrontCover.jpg (90 KB, 849x857) Image search: [Google]
FrontCover.jpg
90 KB, 849x857
>>321530503
>The Last Days

Anyone who has Mount and Blade should give this one a try, it's fucking good

Also best movie coming through
>>
>>321531021
I think lotr would be perfect for grand strategy games, but most lotr fans are not into that
>>
I seem to remember The Hobbit on PS2 being pretty good, but I might be misremembering
>>
>>321530076
this has not any better YES any FUCKING better combat then shadow of mordor.
>>
>>321531286
there is plenty of room in the history to do that, even after the events of LOTR. I'd be open to it
>>
>>321530124
SoM is The Force Awakens of Tolkien
>>
>>321527678

I had a lot of fun with SoM, but that was mainly due to the enemy system. The bosses were unimaginative and could be taken down just as easily as any other Uruk. Don't even get me started on that fucking "final boss".

no Gandalf cameo 0/10
>>
>>321531113
THE GREATEST ADVENTURE
>>
I tried playing Shadow of Mordor, I really tried.

But holy fuck that self-indulgent fanservice made me absolutely sick to my stomach. I haven't even read all the books, but it's nothing like either the movies or the books.

>That contemporary witty writing
>Half wraith/half human.
>Oh by the way the wraith is the elven smith who MADE THE FUCKING RINGS OF POWER.
>That final fucking fight.

I'm not even against blatant self-indulgence, hell my favorite games are Devil May Cry, but holy fuck, really? LOTR? Of all things?
>>
>>321532262
Why do you care so much about the story in a video game? IIRC, you can even skip the cutscenes if you don't like them.
>>
>>321533214
>Why do you care so much about the story in a video game? IIRC, you can even skip the cutscenes if you don't like them.

Hmm, I don't know? Maybe because it's marketed itself as a licensed product of the Lord of the Rings and the Tolkien franchise?

In all the interviews before releaase they basically said how respectful they were to the source material, end game was anything but.
>>
>>321533214
Because it's based on Tolkien any hyped itself up as some kind of lost chapter between The Hobbit and LOTR
>>
>>321531401
What? Did you have a stroke?
>>
>>321533848
i have finished both games and it does not have better combat
>>
>>321532262
I liked SoM, but yeah, the story's fucking trash. I'm not that big of a Tolkienfag, but even I was dumbfounded at how fucking forced everything was.

I just turned off my brain and skipped the audio thing whenever I get a collectible.
>>
File: 1446612417763.jpg (673 KB, 1464x936) Image search: [Google]
1446612417763.jpg
673 KB, 1464x936
Middle-Earth game by From when?
>>
Got SoM GOTY for Xmas, what am I in for? I'm interested in picking some bitch orc and getting them promoted right to the top, only to have an epic final battle with them. How doable is this?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.