[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've had xcom enemy unknown in my library since 2013
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 384x384
So I've had xcom enemy unknown in my library since 2013 and I only started playing it today. I played the ps1 version way back when I was a kid but never really got anywhere with it. So let's have an xcom thread.
>what do you research first?
> plasma pistols or beam weapons?
>how the fuck can I possibly satisfy every member of the council?
>>
>ps1
>not psx
Get out
>>
laser pistols and carapace armor
>>
>>321508448
Go for weapons first. Armor doesn't offer too much survivability compared to a nice laser rifle. You're not meant to be able to please every nation, just focus on satellite production and save as many countries as possible. Lock down a continent with satellites and I think you no longer get abduction missions there.
>>
>>321508746
I put my first satellite in Canada I think so I guess I'll lock down North America first. At 20 days to construct they take fucking ages though
>>
>>321508871
It's also not a bad idea to hold a satellite in reserve to deploy over a panicking country at the end of the month since it instantly pacifies them.
>>
what continent should I build my first base on?
>>
>>321509261
I went with Europe m, I'm thinking I should have gone with the states instead though
>>
>>321509261
My favored strategy was to start in the US for that cheaper satellite and aircraft maintenance. Then easily get the south american bonus of instant interrogations and autopsies since there are so few south american countries.
>>
Is this game fun!? I'm deciding between this, civ 5, and an arpg like grim dawn (right? or divinity
>>
>>321508448
>how the fuck can I possibly satisfy every member of the council
You can't unless you're.

Once you get mechs abuse the fuck out of those though
>end game with two mechs
>most soldiers have kill counts of around 30 aliens, a few have in the 60s
>get to mechs
>400+ kills

fucking op peices of shit make the game easy mode.
>>
On my first playthrough of xcom EU+EW (classic difficulty) I had default weapons and armour and upgrades until September. (The one notable exception is that I had two accessory slots researched from the foundry, and scopes 2)

I used no mecs, no shivs, and on average less than one grenade per mission. I also utilized snapshot Snipers and probably other skill-build deficiencies considering it was my first time. (My supports all had covering fire for example)

I didn't savescum. I got plasma weapons and titan armour within the same month and then the game was suddenly on easy mode, nothing compared to what I had done earlier.

At one point I had to kill a sectopod with one colonel + 5 squaddies, all of them using default equipment. (four people died that day)

I had not upgraded any of my interceptors at any point, not even giving them phoenix cannons or one-time maneuvers.

Maybe interesting blog post, I don't know.
>>
>>321509759
>You can't unless you're.

Problems weren't
>>
There's an XCOM general on /vg/. Just sayin.

Also, you have to plan out which alien abduction missions you will do properly and have satellites uplinks and production as your sole objective in order to lose no one from the council. Not going to a place there is an abduction increases that place's panic by 2 and the other places on that continent by 1.

Also, the game is more fun if you don't Ironman until you know the mechanics. Straight-up. Just best to save at the start of each month. Losing soldiers doesn't matter, and you can lose countries from the council, but if you make a huge mistake and completely fuck yourself over because you didn't know how things work then just reload.
>>
>>321509838
Correction, ment
>you can't unless you're lucky
>>
>>321509679
Both this and Civ V are really good. This is squad-based strategy with some base construction on the side, while Civ is traditional 4X TBS with a fuckton of mods available. You'll need Civ's expansions, though.
>>
>>321509840
This, iron man seems hardcore, but don't turn it on. Play it as if it were iron man if you want by not save scumming.

The only exception would be for bugs and other stupid nonsense. It's just extremely frustrating losing your best guy to a teleporting glitchy muton squad.
They'll teleport between your guys into a small pocket of fog of war between your guys and suddenly half the squad is dead. It's not worth losing an entire run to a glitch just to have iron man on.
>>
File: 1450882922922.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1450882922922.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>
File: 1442242786550.jpg (36 KB, 197x498) Image search: [Google]
1442242786550.jpg
36 KB, 197x498
>>321510123
>Start game on classic ironman
>Lose many, many runs
>Start games so often that forget to enable ironman on latest run, play it like it is ironman anyway.
>Beat the game, no ironman achievement.

Fuckk.
>>
>>321510124
I had a situation like that
>one dude surrounded by a bunch of chryssalids
>would surely die the next turn
>he had a rocket
>another troop had a rocket that could hit that spot

In the end he ended up living both rocket blasts, though just barely lel.
>>
>>321508448
>meme generator
>>
>>321511306
I searched Google for xcom memes for my op, sorry senpai
>>
I'm in the same situation as OP, should i install Long War for my first full playthrough?
>>
>>321510328
>Start classic ironman on EW
>Fucking terrified of a few Sectoids
>OVERWATCH OVERWATCH OVERWATCH
>15 turns later, no one has moved
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.