[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you had to prove to someone that games are art, what game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: 1444928867233.jpg (20 KB, 499x427) Image search: [Google]
1444928867233.jpg
20 KB, 499x427
If you had to prove to someone that games are art, what game would you have them play?
>>
bait thread?
Regardless, Majora's Mask and Shadow of the Colossus are my go to games for arguing games can be art.
>>
Video games are art by definition. They're fictional stories created by man.
>>
undertale
>>
>>321501573
No, not bait thread. I think games are art, and I'm genuinely curious as to what other people would use as an example for games being art.
>>
>>321501612
This. It depends on the definition of art. Art isn't necessarily beautiful or heart warming. In a broad sense, art could be defined as anything that makes you feel something. Anger, despair, joy, nostalgia, melancholia, etc..
>>
>>321501395
Killer7 or something in that vein
>>
The definition of "art" is so retarded that it literally doesn't even matter
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>321501395
The Legacy of Kain series and the Souls series
>>
>>321501827
>>
File: 2015-04-16_00001.jpg (240 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-16_00001.jpg
240 KB, 1920x1080
Dustforce, believe it or not. It's a game that's highly focused on gameplay - but sometimes you can just slow down, and really explore the levels.

It's hard to describe the feelings I have for this game. I love it for the gameplay, the aesthetic, the soundtrack... it's probably one of my favorite games of all time.
>>
>>321501963
Id add that a media cannot be art if it's created with the purpose to appeal to a specific demographic though. An artist shouldn't make something to please an audience but to express whatever he feels.

Therefore there is almost no game that can be called art. Especially kickstarted or early access games.
>>
>>321501395
>If you had to prove to someone that games are art

Tactical suicide. Better than the blatant disrespect of an entire medium.
>>
File: fucking hell frogs god damn.png (19 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
fucking hell frogs god damn.png
19 KB, 640x480
>>321501395
>>
>>321501845
I'll elaborate on >>321501827 then so you know I'm not just shitposting

I know the game is meme-tier here but I think the presentation of everything is really well done in terms of emotions and symbolism and how everything ties together more and more as you do the various types of runs, all that jazz. The leitmotifs are a big part of it, I have a huge boner for musical leitmotifs and it's not really something you see very often in vidya.

I just really liked the game on my own accord, I don't let the overpopularity and shitty fanbase get to me and instead I just take it as it is.
/v/ loved the demo and was still all over it right when it came out, the fanbase and the fact that it got popular is the only reason it's so widely hated
>>
I wouldn't have to prove it to them by showing them a game.

I'd just tell them that art is the result of the application of human creativity with the intent to express or recreate a feeling or emotion (Entertainment included).

Games fit that definition.

Being art doesn't make something better than anything else or give it inherent legitimacy, it just makes it art.

As far as showing off the artistic merit of the medium, though- that's a good question.
>>
>>321501395
You don't need to show them a game when arguing that video games are art. All you have to do is show them some modern art and they'll realize that everything is art. I don't think anyone can argue that the product of passion and determination is less of an artwork than some canvas with shit and period blood smeared over it.

The term 'art' is too broad now. It means shit-all. Art used to be interesting and artists used to be impressive. Now I'm an artist every time I pick my nose and fling the snot at a wall.
>>
>>321501395
Video games may never be artistic but they certainly are autistic and that's more valuable to me than anything else.
>>
>>321502387
See
>>321502127

I don't think games are art because they are made with the purpose to entertain.
>>
>>321501395
Start with something simple that still has gameplay, like Shadow of the Colossus.

Next, find something that matches their tastes elsewhere in movies, books, etc. They like horror? Use Silent Hill 2. They like fantasy? Use Nier.

Then give them something that's more walking simulator-y. Like The Beginner's Guide for a recent example or To the Moon. Basically something that is still classified as a game, but focuses more on story than literally anything else.

Just keep running a gambit of games that actually try to take a stab at emotion, be it comedy or tragedy. Through gameplay or story. You show off the fact that it's an incredibly versatile medium by giving varied examples.
>>
>>321502141
Elaborate?
>>
God.
>>
I'd first ask them what their personal definition of art is and tailor the response to that.

If they specifically add some caveat with the intention of excluding games (such as explicitly saying the medium cannot be interactive) then I'd probably just say it's not worth my time and tell em to fuck off since they're clearly intent on not accepting games as art and nothing I say will work.
>>
Games are not inherently art, video games CAN be art.
>>
These threads always seem to ignore there's a difference between good art and bad art.
>>
>>321502520
>because they are made with the purpose to entertain.
And music, movies, TV shows, etc. aren't?
>>
>>321502520
But that's still a purpose. Someone sat down to produce something through blood, sweat, and tears. Whether it's meant for enjoyment or despair, what does that matter as long as there's a clear effort put into it?
>>
>>321502520
They created the game with the intent to make the players feel entertained (or in the case of some games like This War of Mine, feel other things).

What you think an artist ought or ought not to do doesn't apply to the definition of art.

You can argue artistic integrity, but even then, as long as they're trying to make their audience feel something (even if it's just enjoyment), that's art, no matter if it's created for a specific demographic. It can be art and still lack integrity. Very few pieces of art are created without assumed or implied demographics, no matter how broad.

>>321502675
I agree. Like I said in my post above, being art doesn't give anything merit just for being art, it just frames it a different way in our perception of it. Shit art is still art, it's just shit.
>>
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky or Lunar: Silver Star Harmony.

Or Grandia.
>>
File: fx6lbxn.jpg (464 KB, 2203x2937) Image search: [Google]
fx6lbxn.jpg
464 KB, 2203x2937
>>321502424
this.

Calling yourself an artist back then actually had some meaning. Modernism/Post-modernism was the casualization of art. Not trying to condemn artists like Van Gogh, but the average idiot can't tell the difference between starry night and pic related. Everything is just ART
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.