[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on Steam Controller?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Opinions on Steam Controller?
>>
To be honest it looks so alien I'm discouraged to even try it.
>>
I was pretty excited by the concept but all the reviews are saying that it's $50 of disappointment.
What a shame, nice try though, a couch solution to KBM games is right up my alley.
>>
File: welldone.gif (3 MB, 174x200) Image search: [Google]
welldone.gif
3 MB, 174x200
>>321399160
I don't get it.
All these reviews saying 'It works fine on Rockey League, but you don't want to play a shooter with it'.
Wtf, wasn't this supposed to be a KB+M replacement? What's the actual point of excisting if it doesn't do that, there's millions of better designed controllers that are MUCH cheaper.
>>
>>321400937
Also, Steam needs to get it's head out of it's ass and focus on Big Picture Mode. We need actual controller configurations, instead of being forced to using this piece of shit.
>>
I bought it because I thought it would be fun to make games for, it refuses to give any input unless through steam. Im very disappointed as even $10 android controllers can do more.
>>
I like it. It's a *PC* controller for *PC* gaming, flexible and configurable. It makes console controllers look like Atari joysticks.

The trackpads take getting used to, but they're more precise than analog sticks. More comfy, too.
It's also configurable as fuck. Valve's also been shipping firmware updates adding more features. My favorites from the last update are touch menus and setting power on/off chimes.

I played a fair amount of Borderlands 2 and Talos Principle with it, and it felt great. The right trackpad was set to emulate a trackball so I can spin around.

It does only work through Steam, but I do 99% of my gaming through Steam, so it doesn't bother me. It's definitely a drawback.
>>
>>321399160
I bought one because I'm a pioneer. At first it was hard to use but after more than a month I'm getting better. I don't know if it'll replace an xbox 360 controller but the past few updates that it has had helped make configuration a little easier.

I've been using it in FPS games and so far I suck.
>>
>>321399160
I enjoy it its very comfortable and the batteries have lasted 30+ hours and I still haven't needed to change them. My only complaint is the trackpad on the left side instead of a regular dpad. I get the purpose of the right one but I dont think theres a need for 2 as the left one is really only used for typing so far. It can missleading pressing on it and end up accidentally pressing the wrong direction. Also until a recent update you couldnt use the dpad and left analog at the same time. Other than the left trackpad its great. Id say its worth more like $30
>>
It's awful. Try it before you buy it, I absolutely hate mine and can't wait to return it. Incredibly hard to play dks2 with it, which is why I got it. No BT, needs batteries, dpad is awful. Only good thing after using it for a day is the triggers are alright.
>>
>>321400937
>Wtf, wasn't this supposed to be a KB+M replacement?
It wasn't. It was supposed to be a controller actually usable by a PC. The steam controllr is actually way better than classical controllers, but still way below KB/M in terms of accuracy and responsiveness.
>>
I bought it just for it being different.

Touchpads require time to get used to. Obviously FPS games tend to be a bit of crapshoot with controllers but I think it´s more doable with Steam controller than with just sticks. I think it´s fine for singleplayer FPS but I wouldn´t use it for multiplayer FPS games because you need that quick reaction time and precision.
For platformers, I tried it with Shantae games and Spelunky it works just as expected.
Third person games like Saints Row 3, Mafia 2, Sniper Elite it works fine, don´t know about Dark Souls, Witcher and other more melee oriented 3rd person games as I don´t own any.
Twinstick shooters, I tried Binding of Isaac it works fine.
Haven´t tried it with amy RTS or Grand Strategy games but I could see it being bit worse at RTS and do just as well in turn based Grand Strategy games. (duh)

One huge plus I like is the amount of customization you can/have to do. Of course if you want just plug-in and go I would not recommend it but for more passionate ones that want everything to be great just for that game it´s great.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.