[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ya know, looking back, it wasn't so bad.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9
Ya know, looking back, it wasn't so bad.
>>
>SS
>bad

ebin
>>
>>321396587
Best Zelda game in a long while

motion controls weren't even that bad
>>
To me the only problem was the exessive backtracking, and that there were no land routes between the three regions. I liked flying, but I prefer exploring, and finding roads.

I never had a problem with the controls, and didn´t figure out I could defeat demise with the skyward attack, so I beat him with only the sword.
>>
The world design was just rubbish, which is a shame because some of the dungeons are really good.
The combat shouldve either been more fast paced or go full on puzzle combat, it hit this bland middle ground that didnt do much either way.
Story, music and art direction was fine imo and it had some really good ideas that I pray make it back for Zelda U in some way, such as the sprint mechanic and silent realms
>>
File: 1397798360927.jpg (174 KB, 814x985) Image search: [Google]
1397798360927.jpg
174 KB, 814x985
Dungeons were too easy and had too much handholding, but I still liked it better than TP. Didn't even mind the backtracking or controls, and the sky residents were neat.
>>
>>321396587
Why do I find myself saying that with every new Zelda release? Seriously why?
>>
It kinda was.
>>
I loved it when everyone was hating it.

Fucking Zelda cycle.
>>
>>321396587
Oh, it was. But it's really just the gameplay dragging everything good about it down. If the gameplay had been mostly normal barring items like the beetle, gust jar, etc., then I could have enjoyed the shit out of it. Everything but the gameplay is pretty much what you'd expect and/or want from a Zelda game at this point.
>>
Can't fault people for not liking the motion controls, but as far as dungeons go, SS was the GOAT

I fear that with Zelda U going open-world, they won't focus as much on the dungeons and as a result the quality won't be as good.
>>
The first half was incredible, but it just turns to absolute repetition besides the dungeon designs.

If it was on Virtual Console I'd honestly give it another shot, because I dropped it at the tadtones segment and somewhat regret doing so.
>>
>>321396587
>no nighttime exploration
>the only real exploration in the first place is above the clouds
>above the clouds is basically the only real town area with npc's

it had it's moments, but I will shit on it for all time for not letting me fly around at night.
>>
>>321399338
apart from the final boss fights (which are fantastic), there aren't many good bits left after that
>>
>>321399425

Of course there isn´t much left after the final bosses.
>>
Good game, mediocre zelda
>>
>>321399481
kek

meant after the tadtones. There's just a lot of pissing around collecting songs in each zone, although the slider puzzle dungeon was a neat concept
>>
>>321398765
Hylia tier waifu right there
>>
File: 1447721609436.gif (4 MB, 262x225) Image search: [Google]
1447721609436.gif
4 MB, 262x225
>>321399987
>look her up on gelbooru
>only one good image

Why must all of the best girls in Zelda be relegated to obscurity?
>>
>>321396587
But it was still bad
>>
File: H.jpg (12 KB, 213x200) Image search: [Google]
H.jpg
12 KB, 213x200
>>321396587
lmao here we go

I can't wait to hear how great Skyward Sword was and how terrible Zelda Wii U is once it comes out.
>>
>>321396587
it begins!
last zelda will be good and new one will be shit.
I always thought this was a good game but not a great zelda game.
>>
>>321397506
>didn´t figure out I could defeat demise with the skyward attack, so I beat him with only the sword.
This honestly sounds more fun than the way you're supposed to do it. Demise was piss easy.
>>
File: nailed it.jpg (711 KB, 1212x1470) Image search: [Google]
nailed it.jpg
711 KB, 1212x1470
>>321396587
I'm still more likely to replay SS than TP, because of the slow-as-fuck beginning of the latter. Then again, with the TP remake coming, that might change. If they tighten up the bug hunts, anyway.
>>
>>321398632
How dare you be this reasonable in a thread about Zelda.

You've got a lot of nerve, punk.
>>
>>321400856

It really was, took me a long while, but it was totally worth it. It felt kinda epic, as you only scratch him with the sword, and you have to dodge his attacks cause he does massive damage to you.
>>
>>321396587
wew fucking lad
>>
>>321400924
I don't get the image.
>>
File: zday24.jpg (26 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
zday24.jpg
26 KB, 400x300
>>321396587
I was one of three people who said from the start that /ss/ was a pretty good game.

Now it's only "not bad" due to Zelda Cycle meme faggots.
>>
>>321401281
it's the shopkeeper girl you can accidentally romance coming out of links room with a gratitude crystal coming out of her, while in a state of not fully dressed.

Do the math.
>>
>>321401281
When you help someone in SS they become happy and generate Gratitude Crystals. The girl on the picture is Peatrice, who has a crush on Link. The room she's coming out of is Link's room.
>>
>>321398632
I'm surprised that no one ever talks about the silent realms. They were my second favorite part after the Buddha boss.
>>
>>321400924

Tried playing TP, got fed up with half an hour of FUCKING AROUND in the initial village. Fuck's sakes, TP. I could rescue a princess and be on my quest to get the Master Sword by now in LTTP.
>>
>>321396587

Loved it from the start. Loved the controls. Loved the artstyle. Loved the music. Loved the new items and enemies. Loved the story, characters and supporting cast. I even loved Fi.

It's one of my favourite Wii games and easily the best 3D Zelda I've played.
>>
>ebin waggle meme
The motion controls fucked up like twice. Both of those times were most likely user error. People just needed something to blame for their lack of motor skills.
>>
I think we can all agree that using motion controls to aim was full retard. It made things a lot less accurate than in TP.
>>
>>321402342

I liked it even more since it was more precise combining IR with gyros. You could aim by tilting and twisting rather than just pointing.
>>
>>321401405
>Zelda cycle
How can it be zelda cycle when the next one hasnt come out yet?
>>
>>321402213
I actually dropped it just an hour or two in, during the second bug hunt. Went back to it a few years later and finally beat it, but I had to force myself to not drop it again. TP has the worst start of any Zelda game. Once it gets going, however, it has some really good points. The winter mansion, Arbiter's Grounds, Midna, etc.
>>
>>321402453
I thought it didn't use IR at all.
>>
>>321396587
how in the fuck do people ignore this game's problems?
>the pacing is garbage
>the controls are a huge step back from Twilight princess
>FI
>the bird gimmick that never goes anywhere (compare to TP's epona being used in the final battle)
>items that are used even less outside of their dungeon than TP
>Three imprisoned fights
the list goes on, it's insane so many people overlook this
>>
>>321402509

I thought it used both since I couldn't get it to work with my IR sensor switched off.
>>
>>321402509
When you point at the screen it recalibrates the gyro sensors with the IR signal
>>
>twilight princess was 9 years ago
>>
It's gonna be amazing compared to Zelda U. The Zelda cycle shall not be broken.
>>
>>321402342
I though the aiming was great. Especially since it allowed moving while aiming. Strafing around and raining down arrows was great fun.
>>
>>321402530
the bird gimmick that never goes anywhere (compare to TP's epona being used in the final battle)
Except the bird being used in its own boss battle.
>>
>>321402493
Because people typically start to look back fondly just before the next release, mostly due to nostalgia.

It's not a sudden shift, it starts gradually, then hits its groove at about launch.

After launch it's on the crazy train.
>>
>>321402742
completely forgot about that shit, my bad
>>
>>321402530

>pacing is garbage
It's the same as any other Zelda.

>the controls are a huge step back from Twilight princess
They're even better than TP's controls

>Fi
What's wrong with her? Apart from Midna, shes the only companion that grows in character. She's way better than Navi, Tatl, Linebeck and Zelda.

>the bird gimmick that never goes anywhere (compare to TP's epona being used in the final battle)
Exactly the same "gimmick" as Epona. You use it to traverse the overworld and to fight the windfish boss. Also, It's a link from Skyloft to the world below, an essential story element.

>items that are used even less outside of their dungeon than TP
What the fuck? Every item is incredibly useful out of their dungeons. Did you know you can use the beetle and whip to steal weapons and items mid-battle from many enemies to stop them using certain mechanics and to change their fighting styles?

>Three imprisoned fights
2nd one wasn't necessary but the 1st and 3rd are good and without the 3rd, there would be no groosinator and no connection to build a relationship with Impa.

>The list goes on
Ok go, i'm bored anyway.
>>
>>321402503
Horseback archery joust on the High Bridge...

Twilight Princess got the scenes right, as there were a lot of fantastic scenes. They were just held together by mediocrity & shit.
>>
File: 1393117188088.jpg (18 KB, 324x270) Image search: [Google]
1393117188088.jpg
18 KB, 324x270
>>321402939
>Fi
>What's wrong with her?
>>
>>321396587
It's the only Zelda game I haven't completed because of how shit it was. Even Phantom Hourglass was better than this. Egoraptor has every right to complain and shit on this game for how bad it is.
>>
Skyward Sword is actually one of my favorite games of all time and Im not even baiting. The general gameplay is the best Ive seen from Zelda with sprinting, stamina and active block, and the environments are beautiful. Gathering materials and upgrading your items also worked very well.
One of the few weaknesses I see is the boss variety being on the weak side, but on the other hand they are more interesting mechanically than those in Twillight Princess
>>
>>321396587
I agree but you should wait another year to make this thread, OP.
>>
>>321402530
To be fair, TP's gimmick wasn't Epona, it was transforming into a wolf. Epona was already a well-established part of the series, which is why they were willing to take risks and do more with it. Wolf Link, on the other hand, remained stagnant throughout the game, just like the bird in SS.

Also to be fair again, the bird was used in one pretty okay boss fight.
>>
>>321404071
But Skyward Sword's gimmick wasnt the fucking bird. It was motion controls, crafting and skyward strikes
>>
>>321403919
Being one of the original defenders of /ss/, the only things I disliked were:

Fi the Nanny. Okay, Fi was okay on her own, but she acted like a fucking nanny ALL THE FUCKING TIME. SHUT UP BITCH I WILL PLAY AS LONG AS I WANT TO STOP TELLING ME TO GO TO BED.

Difficulty. Thanks to the ease of use for all the items and the sword especially, the game was generally fuck easy.

THAT FUCKING CLOWN. God damn game wouldn't let me murder him, toss him off his little island, take a shit on his face, NOTHING.

He was more obnoxious than Obnoxio the Clown and that clown dude from Spawn that finally got murdered-off after 50 fucking issues.
>>
>>321402939
>It's the same as any other Zelda.
takes a million years to get to the first dungeon, that shit with the song of the hero, the last two imprisoned fights being so close together.
>They're even better than TP's controls
IR aiming on bows and other items, attacking while moving, the hidden sword techniques such as the back slice and helm splitter, and what I felt like was the most fluid moving link in the series
>What's wrong with her? Apart from Midna, shes the only companion that grows in character. She's way better than Navi, Tatl, Linebeck and Zelda.
she interrupts you every ten meters and has to remind you of shit that the game already told you various other ways. She describes how to use an item after the game already told you in the "you got a thing" box, she tells you when your hearts are low when there's already an annoying sound for that, and she tells you when your battery is running low despite a symbol being shown in the corner for that already. When she's not doing that, she's saying shit like "hey Link there's a 90% chance falling in the lava is a bad idea" and it's not even played for laughs most of the time. Also, grows in character? She's the same until the last 2 minutes where she tries to say "oh I guess I have emotions now or something, love me, this is a tragic moment because now I have to be a sword again, toodles." it just comes off as incredibly forced and it links to another massive narrative problem
>Link is not the player
in past zelda games you had some instances where the dialogue options were "yeah" and "okay", but in Skyward Sword it stands out to me because to a much further extreme than past zelda games, you're pretty much forced to have certain opinions in order to enjoy the plot. In Wind Waker, you don't have to like medli or Makar to enjoy the latter portion of the game, because really, they're a means to an end. In skyward sword, the game heavily relies on you getting invested in the characters to enjoy anything.
>>
File: Dragonar.png (1 MB, 1277x716) Image search: [Google]
Dragonar.png
1 MB, 1277x716
>>321404309
Oh, almost forgot the other thing I disliked about /ss/:

No actual /ss/.
>>
>>321404309
I'm guessing that you didn't have much luck convincing people it was a good game around the time when it came out

Considering that you write like a thirteen-year-old
>>
>>321404574
Well, considering I'm half asleep on Christmas morning while on /v/, I'll take writing like a 13 year old.
>>
>>321404309
I found Skyward Sword challening compared to TP and WW, especially in hero mode.
>>
>>321396587
Yes it was you stupid cunt, stop trying to enforce your ebin Zelda cycle meme.
>>
>>321404402
>takes a million years to get to the first dungeon, that shit with the song of the hero, the last two imprisoned fights being so close together.
I can't tell if you're disagreeing here, but in case you are:

>TP: 1 billion tutorials before the first dungeon
>WW: motherfucking STEALTH DUNGEON before the first dungeon
>MM: Clock Town AND Deku Palace before the first dungeon
>OoT: Probably the only 3D Zelda that trusts the player can handle their shit
>>
>>321405241
TP is the only one of those that compares to SA for bad pacing (a game I also dislike).
>>
>>321402939
don't even fucking lie about the controls, they're impossible to use if you're left-handed.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.