[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sly Cooper thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 12
File: 3624.png (209 KB, 620x215) Image search: [Google]
3624.png
209 KB, 620x215
do you consider 4th game canon, /v/ ?
>>
>never played sly Cooper
Am I missing out?
>>
>>321378302
Yeah
>>
>>321378302

if you like funny animals and platform games , then yeah.

Sly 2 is the best but other's are good too.
>>
>>321378302
not much. Good but not great series. Maybe you should give it a try since you can probably buy the trilogy for cheap nowadays,same for the 4th game.
>>
I never even knew they made a 4th game

>>321378302
The 1st one was great, I recently played it with the HD collection and felt as if I were playing a spyro game or crash bandicoot game for the 1st time ever. Instant classic that stood the test of time so far.

The second one not so much though, I didn't enjoy to much of the character switching and specific missions that they all had and that each hub world had a huge area to find bottles and other collectibles but we're in really obscure areas that were easily missable. So it took me awhile to find everything in the game unlike the first Sly where everything was straight forward and fun to collect.

I only played the tutorial chapter of the 3rd game so I don't have an opinion on it.
>>
>>321378302
you can get a key for the HD version for like $4 on ebay, definately worth it
>>
>>321378142
Yes. Although part of me wishes nothing happened after the 10/10 ending cutscene in 3.

Apart from the Penelope thing I thought the story in TiT was pretty good. Nice and simple, kinda like Sly 1 with a clear objective from the beginning. 2 and especially 3 tried to do more and it didn't really work, they both had awesome characters and sub-plots, but overarching story putting the levels together felt contrived and nonsensical.

It's a shame we'll likely never see the sequel from that Cliffhanger ending, but I still have hope it will come out as a Ps4 game or something. Maybe even Sucker Punch are working on it, since they've been quiet since the last Infamous almost 2 years ago.

>>321378302
Yes, if you own a ps2, ps3 or Vita you should buy all 3 games (PS3 preferred since they are flawless remastered that look much nicer in 1080p) and Thieves in Time is good as well (PS3 version, Vita one has framerate issues).
>>
Spyro is superior.
>>
>>321379084
>was pretty good

that skunk villain was a complete idiot.
>>
>>321379084

well , there's a movie coming... maybe there's a game coming with it.
>>
Three wrapped things up nicely, if Bentley hadn't mentioned a time machine there would've been nothing left to do with the series.

I wish there hadn't been anything left to do with the series.
>>
>>321380000
Nice quads

> Movie.
Yeah, it already looks shit since they changed Sly's actor (even though he wanted to do it) and Murrays design changed completly, looks like they forgot he was meant to be the coward, and his tough guy persona in 2 was a joke.

But a game realising at the same time is a good possibility, that's what's happening with Ratchet and Clank. I hope it's not a reboot, but if the game coinciding with it is part 2 of a story that requires knowledge of 1-3, that might be messy.

Best case scenario would be porting 1-4 to ps4 and releasing 5 all within a few months of the movie.
>>
File: Bently01.jpg (174 KB, 700x293) Image search: [Google]
Bently01.jpg
174 KB, 700x293
>>321381413

the movie is based on the first game, basically a reboot.

too bad everything must be ultra realistic nowadays, it doesnt fit sly cooper's cartoon style at all.
>>
>give game series a pretty good ending.
Great
>make a new game after it that continues the story
okay
>make new game have cliffhanger
>never finish it
What the fuck?

When the hell is Sly 5? I hope the movie doesnt cause sly 5 to never be made
>>
>>321382787

Sly TiT is basically a fanfiction, these acitivision lefotvers claimed to be great fans of sly.
>>
>>321382987
Still though, I was hoping they'd continue it. I didn't get to see my 2nd favorite ancestor in action. and they never did the obligatory "Do i save my dad from being killed and never meet my friends" plot,thing.

I was hoping the laser sliding ability would come back too
>>
>>321383362

yeah, a female cooper would be awesome.

especially if she was playing sly as he plays carmelita.
>>
File: henriette-pirates-goldfinding.jpg (46 KB, 591x439) Image search: [Google]
henriette-pirates-goldfinding.jpg
46 KB, 591x439
>>321383603
>>
>>321378142
>do you consider 4th game canon
Absolutely. Why wouldn't I?

>>321379004
Sly 4 didn't get a lot of buzz around its release. I honestly don't even know how I found out about it.

There was a teaser in the HD collection but it wasn't much.

>>321378302
Yes. Sly 2 is one of the best games on the PS2.

Don't let the memers fool you, Sly 4 (Thieves in Time) is also great.
Pick up the HD collection if you have a PS3.

>>321383362
Laser sliding was so pointless. It was literally a reskin of an ability Sly already had.

Great innovation, Dad.
It's like they couldn't think of a cool thing for Sly's dad to do, so they were just like "eeeeeeeeeh the Cooper Vault can end with some rail sliding, but it'll be LASERS now!"
Fucking
Lame

Sly 3 was so rushed it hurts
>>
File: sly2pic3.jpg (194 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
sly2pic3.jpg
194 KB, 800x600
>>321384179

>Sly 3 was so rushed it hurts

that's old Sony for ya, game makes a success sony wants developers to poop out another sequel asap.

did you know Venice from sly 3 was just Paris from sly 2 during the day?
>>
File: 1383147668154.gif (957 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
1383147668154.gif
957 KB, 500x418
>>321384568
Yeah but Sly 2 was made very quickly, and was amazing.
The Jak and Ratchet games faced similar release schedules and didn't suffer at all compared to Sly 3.

I mean, even the menus are rushed.

>Venice from sly 3 was just Paris from sly 2 during the day?
Uh?
I never took a close look but I'm not really seeing it.
>>
>>321384568
>did you know Venice from sly 3 was just Paris from sly 2 during the day?
Like the same map or the same area?

>>321384179
>Laser sliding was so pointless. It was literally a reskin of an ability Sly already had.

True, but what made it pretty neat to me was that his dad basically invented a way to walk on fucking lasers, which is just concentrated light or something. Those things you've been avoiding the entire series, yet his dad can just walk on them like they aint shit.
>>
>>321378142
What, the time travel one? I only played the first three, should I go play the non-suckerpunch game(s)?
>>
File: slycutscenes.jpg (352 KB, 1200x700) Image search: [Google]
slycutscenes.jpg
352 KB, 1200x700
>>321384848
>>321384864

same map.

SP had two years to make Sly 2. one year for Sly 3.
>>
>>321385320
Thieves in Time is the only other Sly so far, but yes.

It's good. If you liked 2, you'll like TiT.
>>
>>321385395
Sure, but Sly 2 had the engine and mechanics completely revamped. They added two new characters to play as, huge hub worlds and bigger levels. Sly 2 was a huge step up from 1.

Sly 3 reused 2's engine, which would have made developing it faster, but they forced in a 3D gimmick, three new playable characters (Penelope was just Bentley's gadgets reskinned) on top of altering Bentley for the wheelchair, but then they ALSO had to add a million fucking mini-games, the ship mechanic, and 80 different useless attacks to ThiefNet for some reason.

Honestly, I think they brought it on themselves. Just a straight sequel with no bullshit probably would have been nice and polished.

But even the writing was rushed. We had that environmentalist shtick with Jean Bison in 2, but then they reuse it with Octavio only they bludgeon you over the head with it.
And then they use it again in Australia, literally the next episode.

Even Jean Bison's second episode had dropped the enviro tilt.

Dr. M and McSweeney was a tired old cliché making Sly's Dad just Sly, only he was first so now Sly is a copycat.

ALL of the villains are
>Oh Villain just HAPPENS to be active just as Sly decides to visit Location to recruit Member

As I recall Dead Men Tell No Tales was super forced, like Dimitri was just there, and his gear which he needed to be part of the gang was also just there.
And then Penelope does a complete 180 between Sly and Bentley with no real arc.

Panda King, a recluse shunned by his people, somehow managed to have a daughter of marriageable age between 1 and 3

Carmelita had nothing to do all game, pretty much no relevance to the story. She's just there because it's a Sly game.
Muggshot's cameo was fucking stupid.

The whole "Guru can't speak English but everyone understands him anyway so we'll make them react to him humorously" gag got used far too often

Fuck, I didn't even know I had this many grievances with the game's plot until I started thinking about it.
>>
>>321378142
It was lame how it was basically set-up for at least a sequel in obviousness but they never did.

>tfw no final mission with your dad
>your dad didn't die, he just went with you back to the future
>>
File: muggshot got new legs.jpg (53 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
muggshot got new legs.jpg
53 KB, 960x640
>>321387685

i remeber this short having a reference to BTTF
>>
best thread on /v/ right now

>get playstation mags back in the day
>viewtiful joe demo
>glitch wiped your memory cards
>next issue said call this number if it happened to you you get a free game
>bunch of choices, pick sly 2, never heard of it
>life long fandom formed

Sly is so great

2 > 1 >TiT > 3
>>
File: 1448949466210.png (189 KB, 1017x924) Image search: [Google]
1448949466210.png
189 KB, 1017x924
>>321388623

great choice, man!
>>
I can't believe they replaced Sly's VA for the movie, I think that man's glorious voice is what turned me into a fag. Although maybe it's better that his old voice isn't associated with the looks of the film.

>>321388623
objectively correct power rankings
>>
>>321390471

at least carmelita having yet another different voice will be a surprise to no one.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.