[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get gud at Advance Wars /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 256x255
How do I get gud at Advance Wars /v/?
>>
Mech spam.
>>
>>321337612
>Mech spam.
Fuck you.

Spam tanks.
>>
>>321337385
Tons of practice. Learn all the little details. Learn the best counters for every unit. Learn how to control chokepoints and when to merge units for maximum advantage. Learn when to flood the battlefield with cheap units.
>>
What's an airport?
>>
>>321338657

>Spam tanks

Fuck you.

Spam Neo-tanks.
>>
>>321337385
Against human opponents? Basically inf spam with artillery and tanks, maybe flaks if there are airports
>>
>>321339414
I should add, learn the AI priorities. It often prioritizes attacks irrationally, so you can take advantage of that. For instance, it will often drop what it should be doing to attack an APC or lander, and it can't really tell when you're using them as decoys to draw fire.

>>321339559
Andy pls.
>>
>>321337385
Use the 'Fuck Nell' cheat code.
>>
>>321339631

>Spam Neotanks

Fuck you.

Spam Rockets and Artillery with Grit.
>>
>>321340032
The only correct answer. Toss in a few mechs for defense.
>>
File: 1398129917073.jpg (23 KB, 362x372) Image search: [Google]
1398129917073.jpg
23 KB, 362x372
>>321337385
>DoR campaign after mission 20
I don't think there is a TBS more hardcore than this
>>
>>321340032
>Spam Rockets and Artillery with Grit.
Mass recons can take care of that, if Grit doesn't take precautions.
>>
File: 1382518493245.gif (3 MB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
1382518493245.gif
3 MB, 295x221
>>321340032

>Spam Rockets and Artillery with Grit.

Fuck you.

Spam money!
>>
>>321337385

Pick Grit.
Congrats your only worry is ammo now as you rain death on your enemies.
>>
>>321340237

Meh, its manageable.
The only really bullshit thing is the last mission though, you are going to piss blood after that one.
Also not as hardcore as the first AW campaign imo.
>>
>AW1
Play Sturm
>AW2
Play Sturm
>AWDS
Play as Eagle and constantly spam lightning drive.
>DOR
The only game that makes you literally get good.
>>
>>321337385
SRPGs in general are like 70% abusing game mechanics and 30% positioning
>>
>>321340304
How did they think this guy was fair for a minute?
>Can pump out huge numbers of units, dirt cheap, to flood the map
> Slightly balanced by them being 10% weaker than standard units
> CO Power let's you make them way stronger than regular units, temporarily.
Completely broken.
>>
>>321340304
My headcanon is still that Colin units literally fire money, like a blunderbuss of golden coins, whenever he uses his super CO power.
>>
>>321341823
Colin's power is the preferred pick from players.
>uses 2 stars which is the cheapest to activate
>Gold rush is broken because of multiplying one half of your funds. That means Colin users will buy the most expensive units bar with his price reduction effect.
Colin in par with Hachi is a representation of a economy CO, spamming units at a short time until you die.
>>
>>321340874
The last mission is made manageable because the units that the factory outputs are preset. Which both means you can plan around it and that you don't need to worry about Caulder spamming bombers and megatanks every turn.
>>
I want to play Advance Wars. What games are good/must play?
>>
>>321342825
They're all good in their own way. It's best to start with the first GBA game. AW2 is many people's favorite, but start with the first one.

Dual Strike kind of collapses under its own weight with all kinds of balance issues and exploits, but it's still a ton of fun.

Days of Ruin does a lot of rebalancing, but the cast is all new and the story is much darker.
>>
>>321337385
Hmmm...well, I guess you can play Fire Emblem to get good. FE and AW are much easier than most SRPG/TRPGs...this changes with Day Of Ruin though.
>>
>>321342825
1 for tutorials, story, and wanting to know the series more.
2 for fun campaigns, and excellent content with additional CO's and including a new unit that doesn't have with 1.
DS has the most content than the other two. Including additional CO's, units and challenges, such as survival and a battle city clone.
DOR only has campaign, but it has a nice story to tell, great soundtrack, and returns the balance that DS had screwed over by removing and repolishing units and nerfed CO's with giving only one power meter and covering one radius with it. It means that your CO can ride what the hell he or she wants,
>>
>>321343903
The downsides:
1 campaign, even with hard mode is fucking retarded. Unfair placement of enemy units and the AI can see you in the fog of war makes you ragequit the game.
I don't see the problems in 2. The AI in 2 is the same as 1, but all comes to exploitation to win the game.
DS like I said has the most content to offer, but all of the content they added in the game broke the balance. Also DS can now use 2 CO's per team so combining powers are a bliss to the player, and hell to the other. It broke the game completely.
DOR rebalances the game by fixing the issues they have with DS, but they rebooted the series. There is no war room, and battle maps, so you don't have rewards to get by fulfilling campaign. Only challenge maps are in campaign. Series veterans also dislike the game because that game alieanated them because this doesn't feel like an advance wars game.
All of them are excellent, even with flaws.
>>
How do I make my friend punch me?
>>
>>321345237
Bring up that one evil act he committed 13years ago and go from there.
>>
>>321337385

Remember to check enemy range AND movement, as well as take into account when their CO power will activate and how that will effect the range and movement.

>>321342825

All of them are good, and you should probably play them in release order since 1's tutorial is the best.

>>321343903

DoR also has the best editor: you can adjust the size of the map (instead of using improvised solutions) and you can set AI parameters on individual units (stand ground, defensive, aggressive).
>>
fire emblem is substantially inferior to AW, since you have to save scum to prevent people from dying permanently

btw ignore the shit tier advice in this thread, you cannot 'spam' neotanks on anything except a city heavy fuck fest lasting 50 turns

most games are determined in the first 10 turns, with the critical units being regular tanks, regular artillery, and infantry

all the commanders are abusable, but the easiest way to abuse the CPU is with the movement speed commanders, adder and some other guy I can't remember
>>
>>321340304
Combined with Sasha I am unstoppable. Enjoy seeing your war tanks getting dropped by 1 HP Mechs.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.