[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
God, I was just looking through the PS2 recommended games list
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1450138937476.png (8 KB, 402x424) Image search: [Google]
1450138937476.png
8 KB, 402x424
God, I was just looking through the PS2 recommended games list from the wiki. Holy fuck, I got so much nostalgia from the early 2000s, and I usually fucking hate the word nostaliga; it represents being enamored with the vague, the romanticized. For fuck sake though, this is when games used to be games, what the fuck happened to the game industry?

I mean, holy fuck, all these single player games. The only fucking memories I have of modern day games, are all these fucking games that just tack on a story to a multiplayed driven game. Gears of Halo Duty 3 was basically all I remember of the late 2000s, besides fucking The Elder Scrolls IV. I fucking stopped caring about modern games at that point, then started exploring the history and past video game consoles. I haven't even given a fuck about video games since. It's a fucking commercialized, monetary hollywood piece of shit now. I feel like I'm being marketed something every time I look at a fucking game these days, like "oooo shiny" fucking shit.
>>
>>321293452
>For fuck sake though, this is when games used to be games, what the fuck happened to the game industry?
you grew up

what you're describing is exactly what people a few years older than you feel about the PS1/N64 era, and people a few years older than them feel about SNES, people a few years older feel about NES, a few years older about Atari/C64, a few years older about the golden age of arcades.

Way to not rise above it idiot.
>>
>>321293638
>Way to not rise above it idiot.
Wow, you really served me.
>>
problem with video games is that as an art medium, it was born in the age of rampant mega corporations, so it was watered down before it even got a chance to mature unlike fine art, books, music, movies etc. but of course video games were not the only medium affected, all of those other things listed and more were watered down and sold for low risk high reward eventually
>>
>>321293914
no, the real problem is that the techonology improved it took exponentially more people to make a game

in the preNES/NES/SNES era you could make a game with just 4 people, like a band. A designer/tester, artist, programmer, and musician. Those 4 roles still exist except by the time of the N64/PS1 era you needed about a dozen people to make a game, by the PS2 era 25-30, by the 360/PS3 50-80.

This increase in production costs means that publishers are less willing to put money into riskier projects which is why you get the same call of duty, madden, and ass creed released every year.
>>
>>321294220
What you described about needing more people is how I feel about games. It doesn't feel like a personalized experience. It feels like some gigantic overblown monstrosity which lacks real character, and every move they make they have to make as big and flashy as possible, so it lowers the risk of dissatisfaction of the player. Ironically, it has the opposite effect for me. what I really can't fucking stand though, is that games really do have a high instant gratification complex these days. That is one of the reasons why I feel like dark souls is a sort of return to form, in a way. It may be difficult, BUT THAT'S HOW GAMES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE! You don't just beat it in one fucking all day sit down, like I used to do in the late 2000s with these pieces of stomach churning corporate crap we have today. Games should appeal to hardcore fans, I don't care how fucking ostentatious that sounds, it's absolutely fucking true.
>>
File: conquistador.jpg (307 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
conquistador.jpg
307 KB, 1366x768
>>321294535
you should look into indie games on PC, yeah a lot of them are shit but there are some real gems
>>
>>321294763
I've been trying to get into PC gaming. I'm looking forward to getting Soma. I honestly just ended up only using steam for playing copious amounts of CSS, on this one server where all anyone does is shit talk.
>>
>>321294978
I could give you some recommendations of cool indie games if you want.
>>
>>321295202
Go for it, please.
>>
>>321295254
expeditions conquistador - the one in that pic, a very cool game where you play as a conquistador and get to choose between whether you want to be the historical rape and pillage type or an ahistorical benevolent white dude who just wants to set up trade, very good writing and story.

The Banner Saga- a game set in a bleak viking universe that's sort of half Oregon trail and half XCOM. Has a very good story that switches back and forth between a military expedition of frost giants and a group of human refugees. This was my favorite game of 2014. Give this review a watch, I thought it was quite fair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKqCIGuV9-Y

Crypt of the Necrodancer - a rhythm based dungeon crawler where both you and the enemies can only move in beat to the music. Its a fun gimmick and it has a great soundtrack. You can use your own music too, I really had a lot of fun with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_avgU1u6yM

Papers, Please - surprisingly addictive little game where you play as a border guard in a communist country. As weird as that sounds it was actually pretty fun, as the game's story progresses things get increasingly complex and you get caught up in a conspiracy to overthrow the government
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QP5X6fcukM

(cont)
>>
>>321295904
Thanks, friend.
>>
>>321293452

>holy fuck
>fucking
>fuck sake
>fucking
>fucking
>fucking
>fucking shit
>>
shovel knight - lots of games try to cash in on 9 bit nostalgia in the cheapest of ways but this is the very rare example that just gets everything right. Its basically a cross between mario 3, megaman, and duck tales.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgnD4WRzgjI

Darkest Dungeon - a dungeon crawler that's heavily steeped in Lovecraftian stuff. Its damn hard and often a bit RNG heavy but the presentation is really awesome and I've had a lot of fun with it. Also this dude narrates throughout the whole game and its epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjF7rMhxNhg
Like one of your dudes gets hit by a crit and he says something like "Dazed, Reeling, ABOUT TO BREAK!" or "Teetering over the edge, STATING AT THE ABYSS" It really makes the game.

Rock of Ages - bit of a silly game that's sort of like a two player tower defense where you launch a giant boulder at your enemy's gate while he launches one at you, what really makes it though is these monty python style animated cutscenes that are pretty hilarious.
You have no idea how hard it was to find gameplay without some lets player talking over it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdgDiX2ORgI

Recettear: an item shop's tale - a game where you play as a little girl running an item shop in a jrpg like world. It seems like some kind of weird thing for weebs but its actually quite fun, buy low, sell high, and make loads e money from dumb adventurers heading to certain doom.

Anyway there are plenty more but those all come HIGHLY recommended and I'm sure you can get them cheap because of the steam sale. Enjoy anon.
>>
>>321296616
double thank you, friend.
>>
>>321296378
to be totally honest, I think talking like that actually gives me a headache. I'm pretty sure that's why I have a headache right now actually. I'm going to try to at least eliminate aggressive vocabulary from my speech, and see if it helps my over all mood.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.