[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm about to shoot myself in the foot and get a PS4 just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: Digimon_Story,_Cyber_Sleuth.jpg (153 KB, 256x282) Image search: [Google]
Digimon_Story,_Cyber_Sleuth.jpg
153 KB, 256x282
So I'm about to shoot myself in the foot and get a PS4 just for this game, I will get some other games down the line but what do you think, is it worth the PS4? Or even the Vita?
>>
PS4 if you want to play western games, Vita if you want weeb games
>>
>buying console for one game
Not even worth it if you love Digimon.
>>
File: 1448410798027.jpg (1 MB, 960x5480) Image search: [Google]
1448410798027.jpg
1 MB, 960x5480
>>321286214
If you really like digimon then sure
>>
>>321287037
Ps4 is getting all the "weeb" games now as you refer to them
>>
>>321286214
Its a Digimon game so its probably not worth it.

These games are never amazing and rarely good. Its some stuff you get on the side.
>>
>>321287659
I don't know why you put it in quotation marks, it's an affectionate term.
Vita is cheaper and has a much bigger library at the moment. If you don't want to play western games, then you might as well wait a few years before getting a PS4.
>>
>>321286214
>inb4 PC fags
Depends of how much money you have.
It's the holidays though so it's the best time to buy one.
There's also a couple of F2P games that are a lot of fun.
>>
I bought it in part for this game, and I even have a vita. So do what you want.
>>
>>321286214
Is this a new franchise?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZx96i1dNw

Game looks great.

I'm really looking forward to it, pre ordering when I get paid next because we don't know if the pre order DLC is pre order only..

I need that Beelzemon Blaster Mode.
>>
OP here, my question is that does it play anything like DW1? I remember my friend playing it when I was young and it looked real fun, I do like the aspect of a virtual pet but since times have changed so have video games.
>>
>>321292251
No it plays like a cheap pokemon knockoff cause that's what it is.
>inb4 but muh grafics/muh deep mature story
>>
>>321292419
I think it plays closer to dragon quest monsters, just with like 1/10th of the monsters.
>>
>>321292251

No its nothing like DW1, it's a poor quality Dragon Quest clone like the DS games.
>>
File: 1373931995785.jpg (18 KB, 291x291) Image search: [Google]
1373931995785.jpg
18 KB, 291x291
>>321292419
>>321292570
>>321293618
Oh, well it's still fun right?
>>
File: 1444045346465.jpg (16 KB, 246x238) Image search: [Google]
1444045346465.jpg
16 KB, 246x238
>>321292251
Currently, Digimon is split between two different gameplay types. WORLD games, and STORY games.

WORLD style games, that are heavily influenced by the original tamagotchi's. You spend your time raising your Digimon through trials and minigames increasing their stats (like intelligence, speed, or strength) while taking care of them. How you raise your Digimon will dictate what it evolves into, and how well it does in battle. In battle the Digimon fights independently from your control, but you can issue it commands, or buff it with items while it fights. The games that follow this format are Digimon World 1, Digimon World Re:Digitize(Which you'll need the english patch to play), and the upcoming Digimon World: Next Order

STORY style games are more like traditional RPG's. You're given a squad of Digimon that battle in a sort of SMT-style turn based battle system, while the game leads you through a linear story. There's not much to talk about, but they're decently enjoyable games if you're a fan of the franchise. The games that fall under this category are Digimon World DS, Digimon World Dawn and Dusk, Digimon World Championship, and Digimon Cyber Sleuth.
I'd personally just wait for Cyber Sleuth, because the other Story games really aren't that good.

If you're interested in playing one of the World style games, I'd recommend reading a guide to understand some of the basics. The games can be a bit confusing to a newcomer with how they just drop you in without much instruction as to where to go, what to do, and how to do it.
>>
>>321295032
Thank you for the help, so looks like I should look more into the world style games then. But still I should get Cyber Sleuth to see that Next Order comes to the states right?
>>
>>321295965
Yeah, I would say so. I don't know why the other people are hating on CS in this thread, it's been universally praised in Japan for it's story and style, and the people who've imported it all claim that it's very good. Don't get me wrong, It definitely has some issues, but you'll never get a perfect game out of this franchise.
>>
>>321294475
People praise the characters and story. Not the gameplay.
>>
>>321286214
>buying PS4 for a weebshit game
>buying PS4 ever

You should be shot and executed for treason
>>
BUY IT SO WE CAN GET THE NEXT WORLD GAME YOU FUCKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBIkE5TyRSQ
>>
>>321298117
Kill yourself shitter.
>>
>>321298293
>buy it so we can get another shitty world game
No.
>>
>>321298293
I bought a VitaTV for this shit, I got you covered Senpai.
>>
>>321295032
Playing through Digimon World Dusk, fucking great game. Just got Monzaemon after grinding for 4000 holy, took way too long but I wanted Monzaemon.
>>
File: 1435112194379.png (63 KB, 175x238) Image search: [Google]
1435112194379.png
63 KB, 175x238
>>321300475
>Digimon World Dusk
>fucking great game
>>
>>321298293
is it true that in the world style games your digimon die after a set time no matter what? Why would I want to grind and search for my favorite digimon and then have to just start over? That sounds terrible.
>>
>>321300718
You don't grind in world games, you mostly just wait.
>>
>>321300717
Don't know what to tell you, graphics look great, OST is great, gameplay is fun, I can get my favorite digimon and the digivolution charts can be challenging to get your favorites at times, but that makes it very rewarding.

Only negative I can see is if people don't like having to do 4 quests before the next story segment starts.
>>
>>321287087
which is the ''one'' game now?
Digimon? , Bloodborne?, Disgaea 5? Nier automata?
gravity rush 2? , last guardian? , final fantasy xv ?
>>
>>321286214
I very much doubt the game will be so good to be worth dropping all that money on it, unless you're a huge Digimon fan. With that said, next year PS4 is getting swamped with weebshit anyway, so might as well buy it now.
>>
The PC port is going to be announced a month after it releases.
>>
File: 1441564375605.jpg (797 KB, 2684x1512) Image search: [Google]
1441564375605.jpg
797 KB, 2684x1512
>>
>>321286214
Well Xbox is getting deader by the day and Nintendo are about to drop another gimmick shit console. PS4 is getting a lot of games in 2016 that are not CoD.
>>
>>321300818
>graphics look great
Slanted views for worse navigation.
>OST is great
You mean utterly forgettable at best.
>gameplay is fun
Yes, mazes with random encounters every 5 steps and overly long and slow battles where buffs and debuffs have no value aren't bad.
You only do 2 quests to proceed, 4 is only at the very beginning of the game
Only saving grace is the digifarm.
>>
>>321300475
I played that game when it came out and I got kind of far in but I lost my save file and gave up.
I picked it up again recently with a new one but I'm not even through the first world because the battle system is just so boring and slow.
>>
>>321301256
Graphics are separate to navigation.

This song is great man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyHY-DAwXic

You might have a point on gameplay. I love grindy catch-em-alls/Monster tamers so maybe it's just me that finds it fun.
>>
>>321302258
>Graphics are separate to navigation
No they aren't, have fun trying to talk to a clerk but you aren't actually in front of them.
It's little irritations like that that detract from the presentation.
As for the song you posted, after 10 seconds it got tiresome. In-game with the constant battles makes you just mute the thing and put something else instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Swt1TBpy8 is the best solely for using more than just the same thumping sound they do for bosses.
>>
>>321300718
Stats, traits and abilities carry over. It's just like when you die in a game over and over, and that gives you a better idea on how to progress? That's what happens to the Digimon. Also, grinding for your favorite Digimon isn't really the point of the game, even though you totally can. Basically, it boils out like this: If you enjoy having surprises, not knowing what Digimon you'll get as the result of your training, and dealing with what you've got to progress through the game by using Digimon you probably never would have given a second glance to, you'll like the World style games.

It's kind of a similar feeling to nuzlocking Pokemon. I know I appreciate Graveler a thousand times more after it carried me through Platinum than I ever did before.
>>
File: popka-04.png (65 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
popka-04.png
65 KB, 800x600
Is this accurate?
>>
File: 1419549418358.jpg (9 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
1419549418358.jpg
9 KB, 350x262
>>321305110
>digimon
>getting really homoerotic
>>
>>321300718
There's items that let them live longer. Though the point is to go for different mons each time. Plus, it gets easier and easier/faster each time. There were items in the previous world game that let you evolve the mons instantly into better ones. You can get the most OP mons before you're even a few hours into the game
>>
>>321305110
>plot is incomprehensible
It's really not? I mean, it's written so children can understand it.

>Adventure
>Kids get teleported to the digital world
>Kill Devimon because he's evil and corrupting Digimon
>Kill Etemon because he's an asshole
>Kill Myotismon because he's evil and enslaving Digimon
>Fail
>Stop Myotismon from taking over the Earth
>Go back to the Digital World
>Stop the Dark Masters from pushing everyone's shit in
>Beat Apocalymon through the power of FRIENDSHIP
>Bittersweet ending that's ruined by 02

What's complicated about any of this?
>>
File: 2015-04-24-114626.jpg (112 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-24-114626.jpg
112 KB, 960x544
if you want to get more games down the line then yes, its worth it

i'd dare say its worth a vita
>>
>>321306361
But why is it happening?
Why the retcon of parts of the adventure OVA?
Why do they even need the kids and not just altered the digimon to evolve naturally?
>>
When will venusmon appear in a story game? I want to make the ultimate harem already.
>>
>>321306892
>Some Digimon are jerks
>Nothing is retconned, the kids were just too young to remember and thought of it as a weird nightmare
>Destiny/Genai had to specifically chose kids with digivices, because Apocalymon could only be beaten by friendship
>>
>>321298293

World games suck desu.

Re Digitize was incredibly underwhelming and >>321300718 is a very annoying aspect of these games. Sure they're circumvented in a way since stats get inherited aswell as abilities and other things but the prime task is raising that digimon to get stronger and stronger and if you play it like a typical RPG without focusing on the building that really never happens. On top of that the minigames and such aren't fun at all.

I'm actually looking forward to this generic RPG one because then we don't have to play with this old tedious mechanic.
>>
>>321306361
Lots of things in kids' shows just happen because the formula says so, and we're not supposed to think too hard about it.
For example, there's a prophecy that Devimon will be defeated by the youngest child. Okay, but who made that prophecy, and why does Devimon believe it? Doesn't matter, it's only mentioned so it can be self-fulfilling.
>>
>>321302258

Not the same guy. That song is terrible. A battle OST should have some variety and fit to the world its put in. Not be able to be put into any other generic RPG. good OST example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jaqpQNjJLc

Also Dusk/Dawn are repetitive as fuck, especially with how often you run into shit.

Also the games surprisingly ugly. The battles are alright looking, but the exploration tidbits are ew, and the view like the person said does lead to terrible navigation.
>>
>>321307931
Fair enough, but when someone says "Incomprehensible plot" and compares it to Final Fantasy, the first place my mind goes is Kingdom Hearts. Having a few plotholes or unexplained events that exist solely to move the plot along isn't NEARLY on the same level as having a plot where the main character is the reincarnation of a reincarnation who shares a soul with someone without a soul because they took their soul from another soul.
THAT'S "Incomprehensible"
>>
>>321308314
>comparing digimon to SMT
A bit unfair isn't it?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.