[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Planet-sized living being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
File: asuraswrathbuddha[1].jpg (510 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
asuraswrathbuddha[1].jpg
510 KB, 1280x720
How would you scientifically justify the existence of a living being the size of a planet or a star?

This idea has been running in my head for a while. I am sure there is a non-null probability that this kind of being could arise, though extremely unlikely, through billions of years in a nearly infinite space.

Eating cosmic objects (asteroids, planets, stars) might hold enough nutrients and energy to allow survival, and perhaps it could move thanks to gravity by changing the mass repartition in its body. The tricky part would be reproduction.
>>
File: 1351944680384.png (15 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1351944680384.png
15 KB, 560x407
>Codex Entry: Fuckhuge Thing
>"It exists. The rest is beyond our current understanding of, well, anything."
>>
midichlorians
>>
File: Hellstar_Remina.jpg (196 KB, 650x1000) Image search: [Google]
Hellstar_Remina.jpg
196 KB, 650x1000
>>321283589
>>
>>321284592
Aw shit, storytime!
>>
>>321283589
>The tricky part would be reproduction.
Why would it need to reproduce

Some freak of nature that ate and ate on its planet until it ate the entire thing, then moved onto other planets, never needing to reproduce because it was inherently immortal.

If allow such a thing to happen there could be a infinite number of individual cases of these types of liveforms coming to be across the universe. Then just throw in some hogwosh about them being attracted to [insert your race here] because of [insert bullshit here]
>>
>>321283589
Anything above a certain size would become spherical from gravity.
>>
>>321284904

Why does macro size imply immortality? We're just as big to ants but we certainly aren't immortal.
>>
>>321284984
>Why does macro size imply immortality?
Its not about implying anything. Its a story. You can have any hogwosh explanation for anything.
>>
>>321284679
I'm not dumping it. Someone else do it, if you really want.
>>
>>321283589
The earth is alive
>>
File: mkoun.jpg (21 KB, 431x467) Image search: [Google]
mkoun.jpg
21 KB, 431x467
>you will never look up into the night sky and see two moon-sized animals fucking each other
>>
Why not a world eating chinese lung styled dragon that hosts a solar system on its back that spends its time slowly drifting through the universe?
>>
>>321284968
Interesting point, but even if that wasn't the case, wouldn't its mass keep it from moving its hands as the force of gravity between such masses would be incredibly strong?

>>321285086
False, the earth has a lot of living things on it and inside it but the Earth itself is nonliving. I say this because some people actually believe what you're saying.
>>
>>321285084
You are a piece of shit for not dumping it
>>
>>321285034
It's hogwash, not hogwosh. What the fuck even is a hoghwosh, some Arry Pattur bullshit?
>>
>>321285159

tell me when ur parents go for a honeymoon in a balloon
>>
>>321285241
Anon, c'mon, we both read it. And it's fucking long as hell. This thread would probably be pruned soon anyway.
>>
>>321285034
Having this kind of being come from reproduction and evolution is far more believable than just straight up randomness.
>>
>>321285086
The earth is dying
>>
>>321285218
Fuck off Shrina, the lifestream is real
>>
Isn't discworld kinda like this
>>
>>321283589
The tricky part would be transport primarily and material integrity secondarily.

Every few meters of him would require its own independent cardiovascular system.

And he would need to be made of diamonds.
>>
>>321285271
It's what it sounds like. Pigs wallow in their own shit, so hogwash is like saying bullshit
>>
>>321284968
If it moves thanks to gravity by changing its mass repartition, it would probably be very light apart from an orb or something at the end of an appendice that concentrates all its mass.
>>
>>321285297
But it's christmas, Anon, the children deserve better
>>
>>321285373
Not diamonds, it's unobtanium.
>>
>>321285404
I understand this and beseech you to again read my statement.
>>
>>321285305
Evolution is straight up random enough that there really isn't much of a difference anyway.
>>
File: read the manga.png (130 KB, 455x417) Image search: [Google]
read the manga.png
130 KB, 455x417
>>321285329
Fuck you this isn't Gaia. We're talking about the OG, Earth.
>>
File: 1325532578766.png (15 KB, 149x155) Image search: [Google]
1325532578766.png
15 KB, 149x155
>>321285212

>world eating... dragon
>>
Giant space jellyfish
70% of it is just energy
The other 30% is mass that composes its brain and nervous system
>>
>>321284984
Single ant mass: 3×10^-4 kg
Mean human mass: 69 kg
5.9721986×10^24 kg

Human:Ant equivalent mass ratio: 1 : 2.3×10^5
Planet:Human equivalent mass ratio: 1 : ~8.65536×10^22
>>
>>321283589
living as in organic?
literally not possible

sapient non-living may however be possible in the form of a gas cloud attaining the right structure through sheer chance it becomes self-aware
however such a living entity would be completely alien, in the time it takes for a human to live and die it will have thought a single thought, and then only a small one, in the time it'd take it to consider its own place humanity could have evolved and gone extinct
>>
>>321285763
You're just quoting the birth of the gods of Tamriel here.
>>
>>321285475
Evolution is not quite random. Genes variation is, but those who survive do because they are fit to survive, and that is not a random criteria.

A fully functionnal planet sized organism appearing out of nowhere is just not likely. We are talking about Boltzmann Brain here, google it.
>>
>>321285934
You aren't telling me anything new here.
>>
>>321285763
>a gas cloud attaining the right structure through sheer chance it becomes self-aware
>>>/x/
>>
>>321285317
And we are the cause.
>>
>>321286050
chances are astronomically small
chances of it happening in a universe are still several orders of magnitude larger than a universe being capable of supporting and evolving organic life

and yet, here we are
>>
>>321283589
videogames.
>>
>>321286019
Then you are retarded for not seeing the difference between an organism that comes from the evolution of a single cell, and one that popped out of nowhere.
>>
>>321285934
Adding to that the physical limitation on the size of Earth animals is due to the surface area to mass ratio.

When you increase in size, you increase the volume of blood and oxygen by a massive amount, but the surface area of lung tissue and veins only slights, so as they cannot transport the volume effectively.

This is the limitation on sea creatures.

The limitation on land creatures is the amount of weight bone can support, since they are not supported in water like whales, they would collapse under their own weight.

Evolution is limited by physics.
>>
>>321284223
Post of the fucking year

Take that, Kojima!
>>
File: qremina050_051[1].jpg (240 KB, 1456x1055) Image search: [Google]
qremina050_051[1].jpg
240 KB, 1456x1055
>>321284592
>>
>>321286082
*guitar solo*

This sounds like a song
>>
File: qremina052[1].jpg (132 KB, 728x1061) Image search: [Google]
qremina052[1].jpg
132 KB, 728x1061
>>321286608
>>
>>321284984

To ants we are.
>>
>>321286864
Common ants can live for 15 years, queens can live for 30.

Until recently 30 was considered old age for humans.
>>
>>321286240
That's primarily for earth life. If you were to change any of the factors going into evolution, things could turn out to be completely different. Tweak gravity, change the atmosphere, and a whole new chain of life could arise.
>>
>>321286980
30 was never considered an old age for humans
average age at some points was between 30 and 40 due to massive infant mortality
even in prehistoric societies someone who lived to 20 was likely to live to 60, hard part was getting there
>>
>>321286980
That's objectively false. Mortality was highly skewed due to the amount of child deaths; if you passed your young adult years, you were fairly likely to live into your 50s and 60s.
>>
>>321283589
>How would you scientifically justify the existence of a living being the size of a planet or a star?
Not that difficult really. Anyone know War Planets: Shadow Raiders?

Unless you're being a purist about this thing being just inexplicably born at its largest size from day one (which itself raises some questions such as why even) pure of any smaller lifeform influence all you have to do is start with an idea like a group of really smart science people engineering their city to self-regulate, then eventually their ecosystem to be a massive artificial intelligence to self-regulate things for them while they do science shit.
Eventually the entire planet is just this self-aware thing and it modifies itself as possible to optimize survival against cosmic threats (stellar expansion, gamma-ray burst, asteroids, etc) as it modified cities against natural disasters. So it can move around and shit.

I assume some bullshit about every form of energy resource being used to power it, geothermal, wind, solar and so on initially and then eventually some experimental bullshit about fusion reactors and antimatter generators or something.
>>
>>321287110
Most definately there would be a huge range of variation to alien species.

However if they require breathing and something similar to blood for transport then there won't be a huge size difference.

Blood cells are extremely compact and carry only a single oxygen molecule each, but to get enough of those single molecules to every cell they would require something strikingly similar to our extremely effective volume and surface area.

And you have to bear in mind that when you get down to the size of our components, they need holes are the size that allow for the flow of single molecules.

So an alien living in a our universe would be on the same limitations, IF they require a system like our own.

They could be something crazy though, like they just allow free flow of the atmosphere through them.
>>
>>321287536
Wait I derped that up, I don't mean each cell carries a single oxygen molecule but each binding site does.

However the structure for those iron binding points is also optimized for the cell size.

I'm not saying they will all need oxygen, but it's very likely alot of them will because of it's reactive chemical properties.
>>
>>321287536
Remember, the only reason we have blood is due to the mere fluke that the mitochondria entered into symbiosis with cells, thus creating a need for oxygen due to cellular respiration.

Hydrocarbons offer another (although more volatile) source of abundant energy. It wouldn't be unreasonable, since methane is so simple and can be found in many areas of the universe. How a being could harness that, I have no idea. Still, in order to consider extraterrestrial life, we have to disregard the notions that we have of terrestrial life, which includes respiration and photosynthesis.
>>
>>321288426
Yeah, you're right.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.