[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are obscure 1.5 sequels so rare these days? Sure, companies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Majoras_Mask.png (161 KB, 426x382) Image search: [Google]
Majoras_Mask.png
161 KB, 426x382
Why are obscure 1.5 sequels so rare these days?

Sure, companies reuse assets from older games all the time, but they still only put them in bloated AAA trash sequels with skyhigh budgets. What happened to games like Majora's Mask and Fallout:New Vegas? Were they said "Ok, we have all these assets from this game, why don't we do something interesting to make it more appealing for a more niche audience?"

Those games often turn out amazing. Because the groundwork is already done so they can focus on making a more unique product.
>>
GTA IV DLC. Hopefully V gets the same thing
>>
Reminder we could have gotten something interesting with the ALBW engine and instead we got Four Swords Puzzles and Dressup edition.
>>
>>321275023
>GTA IV DLC. Hopefully V gets the same thing

Confirmed not happening. The GTAIV DLC sold like shit.

Yes, the target audience for GTA are too fucking stupid to realize what an expansion is, granted this was half a decade ago but still.
>>
>>321274929
>1.5 sequels?
>>
>>321274929
Skyrim is the greatest mmorpg of all time.
>>
>>321275472
Sequels that heavily reuse assets from previous games, and are not considered "proper sequels"

Like New Vegas and Majora's Mask.
>>
Its called DLC you dumb faggot
>>
>>321276505
>Thinking games like New Vegas would have worked as DLC.

I think we all know who the dumb faggot is here faggot.
>>
>>321275976
>Sequels that heavily reuse assets from previous games, and are not considered "proper sequels"
Except that's usually what a sequel is. I actually like when they reuse assets, and take a different turn on them, Majora being the prime example. You take an enemy and make it into a bomb/trap and then you take a minor NPC and make them into the main villain.

I loved every minute of Majora.
>>
>>321274929
i also like to call them expansion packs, like how Brood War had an entirely new single player campaign with a few new units added into the existing StarCraft ones.
>>
>>321276631
>Except that's usually what a sequel is.

I know, but I am talking more about the games that are considered sort of "off-shoots"

I know many people consider games like Majora's Mask a proper next installment to Ocarina of Time, but there are also quite a lot of people who don't. I am mostly talking about those kinds of polarizing sequels.
>>
I agree. Sequels like that or expansion packs have the ability to be more creative and weird because they don't need to make as much money back. Majora being so weird is the reason I love it so much.
>>
>>321274929

>/v/ bitches about these kinds of recycle sequels all the time
>this post, majora's mask the example

Literally It's OK when nintendo does it: the post.
>>
>>321279157
Majora's Mask recycles enemies and character models, while going for a completely different story and structure to the whole thing. It's completely feasible that someone may like OOT and not MM or vice versa.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.