[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>This game hasn't aged well.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 14
File: 1450922047372.jpg (56 KB, 247x312) Image search: [Google]
1450922047372.jpg
56 KB, 247x312
>This game hasn't aged well.
>>
Please go play Dune 2 and try saying otherwise.
>>
Are you trying to say Lucky Star hasn't aged well
>>
>>321268532
Games don't age.
>>
"This game hasn't aged well" is a concise and simple way of saying "Standards have evolved and this game is well below these new standards, making it a way less enjoyable experience nowadays, when you have a larger catalog of video games to play with a ton of them being better than this game in what it's trying to do"

Hope this helps
>>
>>321268446
Yes? Some games honestly don't age well.
>>
Anime doesn't age
>>
File: 1443312185771.webm (586 KB, 420x346) Image search: [Google]
1443312185771.webm
586 KB, 420x346
I have a high tolerance for old games. The only shit I think can qualify is pre-NES era Atari/Intellivision shit and some early 3D games.

Mid to late 90s PC gaming is amazing and I love it.
>>
>>321268446
>I get annoyed because I'm a semantic fuck who cannot understand nonliteral language

Reminder that that is literally a trait of autism.
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 1280x720
Kagami doesn't age
>>
What is Morrowind.
>>
>didn't play either Half-Life game in their primes
>decide to download them both
>Half-Life 1 has an appealing art style, good controls, and is an overall enjoyable experience
>Half-Life 2 just looks bad by today's standards, is way too jittery, is way too obsessed with physics puzzles, and was just plain annoying

Half-Life has aged well.
Half-Life 2 has not.
>>
>>321269905
Wrong, played both recently and both are still great
>>
File: unreal27dj.jpg (281 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
unreal27dj.jpg
281 KB, 1920x1440
>>321269905
>is way too obsessed with physics puzzles
I love Half-Life 2 and think it's aged really well, but this is a serious problem I have with it. That said I had it even back then so it's not a matter of how well it's aged.

The physics puzzles are dumb. We get it Valve, it's impressive. Stop making me stack whit on a teeter totter.

Side note. The platforming sections in HL1 are the reason I will always say Unreal was better.
>>
File: Kagami.Taiga.full.1223071.jpg (248 KB, 700x662) Image search: [Google]
Kagami.Taiga.full.1223071.jpg
248 KB, 700x662
>>321269634
This Kagami :3?
>>
>>321269329
>Standards have evolved
More like standards have degenerated.
>>
>>321270264
No anon, people not wanting to go back to slow, clunky UIs of ald has nothing to do with degenerating standards.
>>
>>321270431
You're deluded if you think standards haven't lowered over recent years.
>>
The earlier assassin's creed games have not aged well at all. I actually haven't played AC1 in years but I can't think of anything about that game that would be appealing now. But I did download AC2 not too long ago and I was surprised at how much more I liked that game in 2009 than I do now. The PC port is shit (don't even try MK controls), the textures are kinda rough, the npcs are super simple, it takes fucking hours to get started, and the combat is piss-easy. I remember loving brotherhood but for most of the same reasons I liked AC2. And those games aren't even that old. I guess since every game is open world nowadays and have much more refined combat and missions Assassin's Creed isn't very special anymore.
>>
>>321270556
They haven't. Back in NES days, the public was gobbling up yearly Mega Man rehashes and begging for more. Sounds familiar?
>>
>>321270236
Gross
>>
>>321270556
People might care about your shitposting if you actually offered an example.
>>
>>321270628
Asscreed was always shit, it just took you a long time to figure that out. Nothing to do with the game aging.
>>
>>321270628
AC1 was super bad even for 2007(?) standards.
It was more formulaic than any other AC.

Go to a town, do 3 missions, which are exactly 3 types every time, kill the bad guy, rinse and repeat

It doesn't help that you have to go home and listen to a lecture from some granpa for 15 minutes with no dialogue skip

The world wasn't that bad though
>>
>>321270556
Here starts a pointless 50 responses long conversation.
>>
>>321270768
Fallout 4.
>>
>>321270749
Ikr? Burgers are pretty nasty.
>>
>implying that pre NES era vidya that aren't arcade games like Pac Man are worrh playing
>implying C64, Atari 2600, Colecovision, Intellevision or ZX Spectrum are worth playing at all

But why?
>>
I've tried to play Psychonauts like 3 times over the last few years and just can't do it. Idk if it didn't age well, if it's just not my kind of game, or if I had to play it as a kid but the gameplay isn't fun and the story seems childish.
>>
>>321269539
>The only shit I think can qualify is pre-NES era Atari/Intellivision shit and some early 3D games.
This. Some of them can still be sorta fun, but overall it's just really difficult to bear. Plenty of NES and other games of that generation still hold up quite well.
>>
>>321270929
There's a difference between NES and pre-NES games aging like shit and saying aLttP has aged liked shit

Ones have definitely aged badly, while the latter is still good to this day but "muh pixels"
>>
>>321270929
>implying monty mole isn't the tits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpsN14TFy90
>>
>>321270892
Fallout 4 has plenty of awesome things and plenty of valid criticisms. People talk about both. That hasn't changed as long as I've ever been playing video games. Whatever.
>>
>>321271070
It's a downgrade. A dumbing down.
>>
>>321270930
Story is somewhat debateable but there are some gameplay mechanics that are legit broken. A huge example is that despite being able to double jump, the second you begin to descend from your first jump you are unable to perform the second jump. Makes certain platforming sections unbearable. Overall it's clunky mess that can be fun the first time through but isn't really worth a replay.
>>
>>321270930
Felt the same, although the charm carried me through it.
I'm hopeful for p2, but mechanically doublefine games have always left a lot to be desired for me
>>
>>321271147
Popular games get made more accessible. So as games get bigger overall there's going to be more popular games, and they'll get "dumbed down" to appeal to as many people as possible.
But on the other hand the diversity in games today is fucking ridiculous. A couple decades ago "video games" basically meant RPGs and platformers. Nowadays you have blockbusters, open world games, indie games, competitive games, sports games (even fake sports), artsy shit, local multiplayer games, etc. Literally anything you could want to play exists today. If you choose to only look at the popular stuff and then judge the entire industry by that then that's your own fault for being ignorant.
>>
>>321271040
Anyone who says that AlttP has aged like shit is wrong
>>
>mgs2 mgs3
>graphics, sound, gameplay all good
>completely shitty horrible controls knock 3 points off the score easily
>>
File: 1430879528332.png (396 KB, 395x471) Image search: [Google]
1430879528332.png
396 KB, 395x471
>mfw I try to play Gothic 1 again
>>
>>321271414
>completely shitty horrible controls
It's not a FPS/TPS?
It's meant to be clunky since shooting isn't the main part of the game
>>
The only stuff that I say doesn't age well is the early generations of 3D, like PS1 games. Our standards of what was good 3D were very low at the time.

With a game like Mario 3 for SNES you have nice clean sprite art and that perception doesn't change over time. It's easy to pop in almost anything from the SNES/Genesis/NES era and just enjoy it.

With something like Resident Evil 1, it might have played well, but the visual presentation was never good to begin with. Players filled in the blanks with ~imagination~. But it's impossible to ignore now.
>>
>>321271390
>Popular games get made more accessible
You mean options get removed because people don't like freedom in their games. It's a dumbing down. Standards have plummeted directly correlating with videogame popularity rising.
>>
>>321271562
>It's meant to be clunky since shooting isn't the main part of the game
lol that's one of the worst justifications for shitty gameplay i've ever heard.
Just admit it, those are great games with bad controls.
>>
>>321271402
You're right. It was never good. Ocarina of Time on the other hand has aged like milk.
>>
>>321271040
I always get shit for this, but I don't think LttP aged very well. It's overall a slow playing gaming, further hindered by inconsistent pacing, making certain stretches of the game nigh unbearably slow. Certain dungeons still hold up well enough. But a lot of them are either a slog or just plain boring. Or don't even feel like much of a dungeon.
>>
>>321271047
This theme is pretty rad
>>
File: EHHHHH.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
EHHHHH.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>download and start playing system shock 2
>mfw
>go online and ask for help
>everyone calls me stupid and casual
>mfw
i'm missing something about this game

i thought it was like half-life
or at least like deus ex

it's not
>>
>>321271029
A lot of game design concepts in NES games feel dated now, but overall I think well made NES games have perfectly adequate game feel. And the graphics are just detailed enough to convey information properly.

Atari games outside of the few classics (which were often the most simple ones) are absolute messes. Not enough graphical power to convey information, the wild west of game design means nothing makes any sense or follows any sort standard.

A lot of early 3D games are unplayable on the virtue that (especially Nintendo on the 64) when 3D was first coming around, developers were forcing absolutely every franchise to be 3D whether or not it worked. So we got some half-baked garbage piles like Megaman 64, Castlevania 64, Superman 64, Metroid 64, and the entire Sonic franchise from then on.

Some games "age" in the sense that standards change and more archaic game design becomes streamlined. But a well made game is just as playable now as it was when it came out. I think MGS1 has aged very well. The original Halo has aged flawlessly. A lot of SNES games have aged well.
>>
>>321271641
>You mean options get removed because people don't like freedom in their games
No, I meant what I said.
And hey, maybe Fallout 1 let you spec in some crazy directions but Fallout 4 is way more fun to play and is a MUCH bigger game.
>>
>>321271047
http://www.youhaveautism.com/
I can only think of this now when I hear that.
>>
>>321270264

これ。真実だね。
>>
>>321271683
It's a stealth game, nigger.
The only bad part is the shooting and that's because you're actively discouraged of doing it.
>>
Goldeneye. It was fun because of the local multiplayer and because it was the first FPS that a lot of kids ever played. But it's a terrible shooter.
>>
>>321271781
There's a mousefix that makes the game a lot more bearable/playable. Other than that, it might not be your kinda game. But if you like Half-Life and Deus Ex it should be right up your alley.
>>
>>321271725
Oh man, you are such a cool contrarian rebel. I hope someday I can be as cool as you.
>>
File: 1448857912832.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1448857912832.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>321271793
>maybe Fallout 1 let you spec in some crazy directions but Fallout 4 is way more fun to play
Your opinion is wrong.
>>
>>321270628
I always wanted to get into the Assassins Creed games. What would you recommend instead?
>>
>>321271882
That doesn't excuse the grappling being bad. In a stealth game it should be easy to yoke motherfuckers and drag their bodies around. That always felt awkward in the early MGS games.
>>
>>321271992
When's the last time you actually played Fallout 1? It's not fun to play at all in 2015.
>>
>>321272028
>stealth game
>"HURR DURR, WHY CAN'T I DRAG THEIR BODIES AROUND EASILY?"

Because you're playing it wrong
>>
>>321271562
>run away from enemies in a forest
>watch snake stick to walls randomly

>crawl while hiding from enemies
>the control scheme changes three times for no reason forcing you to often sit up to change direction, not counting all the times you stick to a wall

>have to crush the buttons into diamonds to zoom in fast with binoculars or to lean far enough

>tap release tap to shoot in fps mode

>hope you like those stick sensitivities and deadzones

>it's a stealth game except whenever we want to have a boss fight where it turns into the worlds worst fps/tps, where the biggest challenge resides in fighting fucking god awful controls fast enough
>>
>>321272006
AC4 was awesome and it's pretty modern. You don't need to know anything about the story.
Honestly though the best part about those games was how they helped revolutionize the open world genre. So if you pick up Middle Earth or MGS V you'd be fine.
>>
>>321271882
>actively discouraged of doing it
>laughingbosses.jpg
>laughingforceactionscenes.jpg
>laughingassaultriflesandmachineguns.jpg
>>
File: 1443323428371.gif (2 MB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1443323428371.gif
2 MB, 600x450
Fuck you and fuck this thread, the original Tomb Raider games are fucking UNPLAYABLE. PERIOD.
>>
>>321272123
Not true. I played it earlier this year for the first time and it was fucking great.
>>
>>321271793

Fun is really a matter of opinion. Games like Wasteland 2 are still made because some people prefer them.
>>
>>321271960
But goldeneye was always a terrible shooter.
>>
>>321271781
Gotta use the wrench. Bitches get WRECKED by the wrench.
>>
File: 1447447292809.jpg (57 KB, 798x266) Image search: [Google]
1447447292809.jpg
57 KB, 798x266
I'll tell you what hasn't aged. These ones right here.
>>
>>321272135
>lot of mechanics with cqc, dragging corpses, blood, killing, tranqulizing, knocking out, looting, holding up
>you're supposed to ignore a part of the game

okay, we're not allowed to have fun unless it's the way you have fun captain autism and assbergers boy

Still doesn't excuse how in MGS 1-3 you spend most of the time fighting to make snakes do what you want and for the most part they won't.

But I guess mgs is a perfect game that has no problems with plot pacing, tonal inconsistencies, controls, graphics, so i'm wrong to critisize
>>
>>321272006
There's no reason to play AC1 at this point.
AC2 was fucking awesome for its time and probably has the best story of the whole series. Super easy game though.
Brotherhood was essentially more AC2 but that's not a bad thing.
Never played revelations, nobody cares about it.
3 was a huge disappointment.
4 was hella fun but hardly an assassin's creed game.
Unity had some redeeming features but buggy as shit, bad story, and overall viewed as one of the worst in the series.
Haven't played Syndicate yet but I hear that it's a pretty solid game. If you've played all the AC games so far it might be repetitive but at this point it might actually be a good place to jump in.
>>
>>321272237
Tomb Raider was never all that good, imo

Legend and Anniversary are the only two genuinely solid TR games
>>
>>321272523
Only because the remakes exist
>>
>>321272739
I really enjoyed 2013
>>
File: 1450698385182.jpg (31 KB, 379x360) Image search: [Google]
1450698385182.jpg
31 KB, 379x360
>>321273761
>>
>>321273761
I liked it too. It just went way overboard with the near constant action set pieces. Without enough breaks in between they really wore thin and were stripped of their impact.

I've heard good things about the new one. I hope it improves in all the areas that TR 2013 sorely lacked in.
>>
>>321272542
Nobody tells you not to use CQC or kill people, just don't bitch about it when the game punishes you for it

You don't even need to drag to corpses. You need to go through areas in MGS3 like ones. And in MGS2
>>
File: mfw he says boypussy.png (151 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
mfw he says boypussy.png
151 KB, 416x416
>>321273761
Let's see.
>Lara devoid of all her strength and competence, all so that we can FEEL for her
>Miraculously survives insane action set pieces every 10 minutes
>Open world mechanics and survival mechanics are shown at the start of the game to justify them on the back of the box, and then swiftly removed from the rest of the game
>Climbing puzzles are brain dead simple
>Puzzles involve activating your Lara vision and interacting with the highlighted item
>"I hate tombs."
>>
>>321274260
>You don't even need to drag to corpses.
I rarely ever did in MGS. Just tranq and move on. The small instances meant a body left in the open wouldn't come back and bite you in the ass.

In MGSV though leaving bodies out in the open gives me hives. It's one of the things I liked about it.
>>
>>321274291
>Lara devoid of all her strength and competence, all so that we can FEEL for her
If she was a strong character this board would be all "hurr Lara is a stronk independent womyn". Personally I'm just glad that she had a character at all.
>>
>>321269634
And this is why 2D is so much better than 3D
>>
>>321274998
But she is a strong woman. She's the definition of "don't need no man" and it's great. Lora is nothing but a whiny bitch why plot armours her way through danger.

Lara is like a sexy female Bruce Wayne. Except instead of wearing a bat suit and beating up criminals she wears wicket short shorts and finds lost artifacts.

Lora is like a sexy female Nathan Drake. Except instead of falling off shit, killing people, and being a cocky yet loveable douchebag, she falls of shit, kills people, and cries about it.
>>
Ultima VII... oh. my. fucking. GOD.
>>
>>321276712
Oh my god it's still totally great, or oh my god my shit taste doesn't allow me to enjoy good games?
>>
>>321276892
I still enjoy it but the controls and inventory management are total pain in my ass.
>>
>>321275735
> is only traumatized very early on
> /v/ can't stop sperging about it
Meh, you fags were hell bent on hating it anyway.
>>
>>321275735
You'd cry too if you had to kill people.
>>
>>321277580
She's traumatized very early on, and then quickly becomes completely indifferent to murder and near death situations.

I hope you don't think that is actually good character development.
>>
File: mfw i kill.gif (3 MB, 391x220) Image search: [Google]
mfw i kill.gif
3 MB, 391x220
>>321278429
That's just it though isn't it, I'm not the main character of a cuhrazy action video game. Uncharted and Tomb Raider both stay light in tone, the main character never really acknowledges and deals with all the people they kill. Which sets up a tone.

Whereas in Tomb Hater, Lora freaks the fuck out after killing somebody and is completely traumatized by the events. She's crying, screaming, shaking. Great. So they're going for the gritty realistic approach. And then instantly she's just as indifferent and used to it as Nathan Drake.

It's lazy. That kind of thing needs to be a slow descent, but Tomb Hater disregards it's character development and story for the sake of giving you endless cover based shooting and cuhrazy action set pieces.

You can't just do that. It makes the tone of the game inconsistent and makes it hard to relate to the main character.
>>
>>321278804
>Uncharted and Tomb Raider both stay light in tone, the main character never really acknowledges and deals with all the people they kill
I kinda hate that, to be honest. It makes it all too fake for my tastes. It's one thing to have monsters to kill, I can rationalize their actions as making sense in the context created by the world set up by the game, but when actual realistically rendered human beings come charging at me with no regard for their own lives, and the main character just kills them all without any issues, it just irritates me. It's one of the reasons I never liked the Indiana Jones films.
>>
>>321279418
Sure, I get that. It's campy and all up to personal taste. The AI's disregard for their own life is some that did actually bother me in Uncharted, like choosing to shoot at Drake instead of escaping a sinking ship or crashing plane.

But it's consistently campy and dumb, that's the tone. But it's flat out bad writing by pretending your character is seriously effected by all of this, and then completely moving past it in favour of equally campy and dumb action scenes.
>>
>>321279418
They're going for the Indiana Jones thing, and frankly that's what I think is best suited for those kind of games, where killing is a basic mechanic that essentially composes the lion's share of the game's interactive elements.

If I'm shooting my way through a game but every time it pauses to advance the story my character is suddenly a shuddering, weeping mess haunted by the trauma of having their hands steeped in the blood of the hundreds of fucking personalityless drones I've been despatching for my literal amusement, it comes off as fucking forced as shit to me in a very inauthentic way
>>
>>321270892
What you fail to mention is that games like Wasteland 2 and Underrail exist now and do what Fallout 1 did better.
>>
>>321270628
I believe in the concept of games aging, but Assassin's Creeds are not a good example

Those games have always been awful.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.