[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got this game yesterday from my local game store. Its my first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: Advance_Wars_4_Cover.jpg (57 KB, 244x219) Image search: [Google]
Advance_Wars_4_Cover.jpg
57 KB, 244x219
I got this game yesterday from my local game store. Its my first Advance Wars game and i'm enjoying it.

My question is how did this game kill the franchise? You'd think we would've had another game in the series on the 3DS by now.
>>
>>321210012
Think it released at a bad time, like when I think a new Pokemon game or something was released? Also plebs have bad taste. Majority of people are plebs, so, bad sales.
>>
It didn't kill the franchise. In fact it sold better than the previous game, Dual Strike. The problem is that Fire Emblem grabbed the waifu crowd and ever since then Intelligent Systems had their cash cow.
>>
>>321210012
It sold like shit because of no marketing
>>
>My question is how did this game kill the franchise?

The series was already dead in Japan. They didn't even GET DoR until a Club Nintendo deal a year or three ago.
>>
I kinda blame the fanbase for hating this game just for not rehashing the same shit the previous games were doing. I like the new cast well enough and the gameplay is far more balanced and engaging in comparison to Dual Strike which is fun in the opposite extreme.

>>321210404
Advance Wars never had much presence in Japan period. Dual Strike's the only game they actually got at the same time we did and it bombed there.
>>
>>321210012
It didn't. Nintendo killed the franchise because it only sells in the west, and they don't care about those markets anymore.
>>
I really liked the grimdark tone of this game.
I'm being serious, too. It felt so much more fitting than the toy soldier aesthetic of the previous games.
>>
>>321210012
Since the series sold far better in the West, Nintendo thought they should try to pander to the Western market. And this is where they fell into the "Japanese people try to pander to Western people, not realizing Westerners buy the Japanese games because they are Japanese", and made it edgy, and because it was so different from the previous games, it kind of failed. It had the same fate to it as Sengoku Basara (or Devil Kings, as they called it here)
>>
>>321211083

I like the setting a lot too. I'm not saying I like it more than the previous games, but I think it had enough levity to avoid being tiresome.
>>
It didn't, but i didn't even know it's existence until i saw it in a game's shop and i loved the other 3 games.
Very different artstyle compared to the other games.
>>
>>321210012
>Released at a bad time
>Complete reboot
>Game mechanics changed for the better but people were used to the old ones
>Catered to other countries and not really Japan
>Final nail in the coffin
>Some of the characters not likeable
I like the game but things like picture related was pretty lame.
>>
File: Rachel ebin.jpg (63 KB, 706x580) Image search: [Google]
Rachel ebin.jpg
63 KB, 706x580
>>321212141
>make it more anime
>this drives japan away
I'll never understand this.
>>
Killed the series?
This game was one of the best in it.
The series died because of fire emblem and that's about it.
>>
>>321212617
Hard to drive Japan away when it didn't even release for them. They probably would have eaten this up.
>>
What I dont understand is how they got to the conclusion that lin her +vision somehow was as good as white amnesiac girl her deep strike.

Will and brenner had nicely balanced CO skills but somehow the rest just got completely stupid balance decisions AFTER the company said they would try to balance it.
>>
>>321211935
>Very different artstyle compared to the other games.

Like the character sprites? They're drawn by the guy who draws the KoF characters.
>>
Old Advanced Wars:

>Light hearted, fun characters
>'oh no, we've got to beat back the bad guys' plot every game
>CO's made a tremendous difference in the strength of your army, recharges your power through time and damage to your army so you always have a chance to regroup

Days of Ruin

>Mechanics the same but a little more stark
>CO's are less influential, costs money to summon a CO so you get fucked pretty quick if the enemy gets lucky, only on one unit, if that unit is dead you're screwed
>Animu AAAAANNNNGSTT HOW MANY BELTS CAN WE WEAR WHITE HAIRED NIHILIST BENT ON DESTRUCTION OF THE WORLD MIND POWERS HAHAHA I LAUGH AT GENOCIDE SO EDGY!!!1!

Honestly old Advance Wars matches the mentality of Fire Emblem more than Days of Ruin. Why make more Advance Wars when they can print their own money with more Fire Emblem?
>>
>>321212810
I think it died more because of lack of interest.

If it pulled the sales of Fire Emblem, then maybe it would still be around.
>>
>>321215958

Days of Ruin wasn't even close to that angsty
>>
Do you know what to do, /v/?

>>321215958
>CO's are less influential
LOL
>>
>>321215958
>Light hearted, fun characters

People still get murdered in the old advance wars, and dual strike itself had a pretty dark theme to it with a prevalent environmentalist message to it as well as tying to the Iraq War of it's time with tons and tons of desert terrain.
>>
At least the game had a kickass soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HJbtbqjCu4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHEWdv2Gw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdsPxC5g5Uw
>>
>>321217336
>not waylons theme
>>
I really enjoyed the game but I always felt like it was one of those "not a real entry in the series" games. Kind of like Silent Hill 4 or the first(?) Final Fantasy Adventure.
>>
>>321210194
AW was ded long before Awakening happened.
And even with Awakening, FE is hardly IntSys's "cash cow" considering it isn't even their best selling series.
>>
>>321217336
>we will never get to hear these in a proper quality
At least we have Codename Steam as a successor to this game's music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbjFuDyn8Wc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4TIH3ppcxs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsDLPBgPxb8
>>
File: 1360100836442.gif (6 KB, 142x311) Image search: [Google]
1360100836442.gif
6 KB, 142x311
>>321215958
more like

classic AW
>lmao let's gun some people down xd
>hey I'll have to test you before I join you! how? by having our people kill each other!
>with our power of friendship we will prevail over you evildoers!
>what's an airport? XDDXdx
>characters are 1 dimensional

>gameplay is as broken as it gets, though it can be fun to see how much you can break the game
>you're rewarded for poor play with CO meter being charged
>Fog of War doesn't exist to the AI
>lots of single player content

DoR
>shit went down, really fucking bad
>the reality is that human nature is terrible, people will kill each other for survival
>Brenner is an inspiring shining beacon of hope but not the brightest, balanced out by Lin's cold and calculated manners
>he inspires all of his squad, specially Lin
>to the point of even sacrificing himself to save his former enemies because they were going to be killed dishonorably
>character growth and development all around
>plot twists

>gameplay is better balanced
>you're punished for poor play
>AI can't abuse Fog of War anymore
>weaker single player content

AW was great, but DoR is even better
>>
File: 1402856679853.jpg (563 KB, 1655x935) Image search: [Google]
1402856679853.jpg
563 KB, 1655x935
>>321220159
>>321217336
>somewhere in some dark IS basement, all that music from DS and DoR is tucked away in some hard drive in CD quality or better

truly, Nintendo is worse than the DoR Mayor
>>
>>321220361
oh god my eyes
>>
>>321210898
>anymore.

You said like there was a time they cared.
>>
>>321221507
Relatively.
>>
>>321216252
DELETE THIS
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.