[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are videogames really interactive? All that I can affect is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (781 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
781 KB, 1920x1080
Are videogames really interactive?

All that I can affect is the temporal order of playback, of experience.

Given infinite time (or at least sufficient to exhaust any particular game), the illusion of interactivity disappears.

The thought that people who incessantly clamor for "gameplay" might lack a sense of agency in their lives.

The idea that interactivity is defined by failstate presence is wearing out.

Are tests interactive?

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is perhaps more interactive than it is given credit for. What is at stake in Rapture is not seeing something, missing out on something. Other games methodically prevent this exhilaration from ever occurring.
>>
>>321201249
Yes
>the illusion of interactivity disappears.
How?
When do you ever stop interacting?

Back to reddit with you.
>What is at stake in My Game is not seeing something, missing out on something. Other games methodically prevent this exhilaration from ever occurring.
Also shill somewhere else
>>
>>321201249
>Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is perhaps more interactive than it is given credit for.
I'm a narrative game shill but this is so wrong dude. I bought this full-price and was stoked and intrigued and it was literally the most boring game I've played and it ran like ass.

And you're pretensions and I implore you to stay away from games because your line of questioning will lead to nothing but useless philosophizing.
>>
you LITERALLY don't understand half the words you used there.
>>
>>321201453
>When do you ever stop interacting?

Easy, when you stop playing the game, which occurs precisely when you've seen through the illusion of interactivity.
>>
>>321201249
>All that I can affect is the temporal order of playback, of experience.
Nah, you missed it. It's the stuff that happens between the playback. You know, you actually doing stuff.
>>
>>321201481
>the most boring game I've played and it ran like ass.

Sharp criticisms, m8
>>
I am certain if this was posted on reddit it'd be a 60 comment thread full of exactly the kind of boring responses you're looking for OP.
>>
>>321201762
I'm not really trying to convince you, but it felt less interactive than even games like Gone Home or somehow The Beginner's Guide (see there is no interactivity in that game) and was MASSIVE, like a to-scale village you had to crawl through. And the framerate was junk, inconsistent and distracting.
>>
>>321201762
Not him, but I agree as well. It truly is one of the most boring walking simulators and there were constant framedrops when walking into certain areas. (town hall, cornfield, any place outside when it was raining)

I bought the game half off and still regretted it.
>>
>>321201936

The whole point of the world is that it is MASSIVE, and that you can explore it as you will or as it interests you with no obligation or objective. Unlike Gone Home where you have to piece together a linear narrative (Rapture purposefully chops up and obfuscates the events, relegating them strictly to enhance the physical scenes where they occur), or The Beginner's Guide where you have to listen to Davey Wreden whine in your ear about himself for ninety minutes... Rapture just gives you a massive world to explore. You move and look around at what catches your eye. If you aren't fascinated by the setting, don't play it.
>>
>>321202295
The issue with that is they recycled most of the buildings and scenery. I passed by the exact same greenhouse at least 5 times and knew there wasn't going to be something of value in any of them.

Add into the fact they purposely make you slow as hell and it becomes a drag of searching for something that's worth something, like the radios.
>>
>>321202295
I think it's a neat idea to present a non-linear narrative (or a sort of non-linear one) but I don't think Rapture did it well at all. The movement speed alone was dissuading against any exploration, and even the many times I disregarded my worries and did explore there was nothing to be found. I liked the story of the game a lot, but it was presented in a terrible terrible way. I loved Dear Esther and I like A Machine for Pigs more than the original Amnesia even but Rapture was awful.
>>
Uh, you don't consider games "interactive" because there's only a limited number of possible game states? Is that's what you're getting at?

Reality also seems to be quantized so it apparently also has a limited number of possible states. A sense of free will almost certainly is also just a really vivid illusion. Yet, in practise you don't behave as though you didn't have free will because that's fucking stupid. Similarly, in real practise, a lot of games aren't realistically solvable. Okay, even a game like Chess does begin to show its age after centuries of theory, but no one in their right mind would argue it's not somehow interactive and simple rule changes would put this theory to the rubbish bin (plenty of notorious players have proposed their alternative rules to combat the importance of Chess theory, like Bobby Fischer's Chess960).
>>
>>321201616
So you're saying a game isnt interactive if you stop playing with it.

So... if you arent reacting with it, the game isn't interactive.
>>
I may not agree with anything faggot OP has said but lets face facts. Any mongoloid dumb enough to toss around the word 'pretentious' should crawl into the same grave their idiot Ur ancestors are grunting around in and stay in good company.
>>
>>321203112
Not exactly. It isn't a matter of not understanding what he's getting at, calling him pretentious is based on the demeanor he's affecting by 1) trying to speak on things as if they've never been considered and 2) using language unnecessarily complex or obfuscating when other's have said as much with less and in better ways. He is pretentious.
>>
>>321203342

The language of the OP is pretty basic if English is your first language and you have a general idea of what words mean.
>>
>>321203512
aight.
>>
>>321203342
Unless one can thoroughly back up what they say as you have, its argumentation shorthand for 'I am retarded.'
>>
>>321201249
There are different levels of it, it is interactive, however most games do not truly use this, it really depends on your definition of it, but at a basic level yes video games are interactive.

2.of or relating to a two-way system of electronic communications, as by means of television or computer:

A book only provides information and cannot act on it, a game acts on information you provide and changes based on it on a most basic level but for most games it's just that, on a basic level.

In most games you don't see the level of interactivity that you would see in the real world, but this is something that would be worked on by academics in other realms.

I think the core problem of people who don't feel they're interactive enough is that most games at their core try to act like something we can easily tell is wrong: Humans.
AI is in a pitiful place and has been for years because most games don't bother to push for better AI, writing is generally poor in most games also.
>>
>>321203691
I can agree with this, but it's just as retarded to make a general statement like that.
>>
>>321203774
I want people to feel bad for using it.
>>
>>321202748

Reality is "interactive" to the extent that there are an infinite number of theoretical states that will never take place. Every modern videogame does its best to outline everything that can (therefore must) take place and to blackmail you into witnessing them.

On a first playthrough of Rapture, it is very possible to miss at least half the game. There are no icons or checklists or percentages or waypoints or missions to spoonfeed you all the "content" advertised. It is possible to actually have an original experience, which essentially entails not experiencing everything.

I play Fallout 4 on Survival Ironman, so I restart the entire game when I die (at least up to the second character confirmation pre-Vault exit). I have no expectation of ever finishing it. Only in this way does the game feel meaningfully interactive. Only when death matters.
>>
>>321203693
I should further add interactivity means that there are many more constraints of media for a video game. A book just needs somewhere letters can expressed/drawn, whether it's a screen or paper or a wall with paint. Video game requires you can interact and it can reply back based on it's own ordinances. This is something that for us in this day and age requires a computer of sorts.

Interactive books never took off because the changes you effected largely happened in your head then you needed to 'interact' with them in a way that easily broke immersion.

Interaction devices also typically can break immersion from these things. That's why you'll never see an epic like Gilgamesh show up in 'interactive books'.

I also doubt that you'll find something super immersive in video games WITH OUR CURRENT MEDIA.

Allow games to read my thoughts, or drop me in a fully immersive arena where it can replicate the sound, smell, vision and potentially feel and then, you can have immersion
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.