[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just bought legacy of kain: soul reaver. About 2 hours into it,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
Just bought legacy of kain: soul reaver. About 2 hours into it, I like the setting but so far it's been a bit frustrating with the wonky controls and really short range attacks. Do they start adding a lot more mechanics to the game or is this really the core experience? Because I don't think I can handle too much more of this unless some game changers come along
>>
Self bump since none of my threads get replies :(
>>
I remember seeing this advertised in those old video game magazine books with tips and cheat codes.

Looked cool, like a man version of BloodRayne, but I never played either.
>>
>>321193491
Its kind of like grimdark zelda. You get new anilities that let you explore farther, but cmbat stays "shit" whole way through.
>>
>>321193491
well kinda, but get ready for the puzzles , and the DEEPEST lore

still a pretty good game
>>
>>321194551
The lore is the one thing that got me to buy it. Just seeing threads on here and the depths of the discussion made it seem right up my alley.
>>
They do add a lot of mechanics. I think you get one ability after every boss.
>>
You get the Soul Reaver fairly early if I remember and eventually that gets a ranged attack.

Also, grab poleslarms and shit from the walls you retard. You aren't supposed to go about scratching people to death.
>>
>not starting with the first game in the series

enjoy
>>
You get
-One ability from a boss that changes up gameplay
-hidden glyphs which is kinda like magic in the game. They're found in various places mostly through exploration.
-mutliple kinds of weapons you'll get to use
and one plot important one you'll get to soon.
So yeah, the core gameplay will keep changing
>>
You'll get some long range attacks later, but yes, it's quite repetitive and the cube puzzles are the absolute worst. Every ten-twenty minutes you'll go into a new room and there's a new god damn cube puzzle where you tediously and slowly put a cube into a hole.

The lore is quite good, and even though the game was extremely cut and watered down from what it was supposed to be, the story isn't too bad. Play it for the atmosphere, the voice acting and the story. Don't play it for the gameplay mechanics.

Also, I highly recommend reading http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488564 (inb4 >Neogaf ) after you've played it, as it shows how much better the game could have been if development wasn't shat on by Square Enix.
>>
I found that using the environment more helped liven up the combat quite a bit, throwing them onto spikes and into water.

Remember you pick up weapons lying around as well, most the spear things are pretty good for battering the grunts.

I never honestly thought the combat was all that bad. I just don't think anyone should actually attempt to get into the LoK games anymore because the rest of the games are both a massive disappointment and the series is never really going to be finished.

Its been such a long time since Defiance last came out that it would be impossible to release a continuation of the actual story without first making an awful reboot or some such shit.
>>
>>321195558
Ive been using the staff with the skull on it but it's still pretty short
>>
>he hasn't started with Blood Omen

vae victus
>>
>>321195763
Throwing spears from long distance can sometimes impale enemies and one hit kill them. Keep that in mind. Objects have to obviously be sharp so a thing like torch won't work.
>>
>>321195579
I've played blood omen
>>
>>321195841
I guess I just threw it once and missed and figured it was like the impale attack and they have to be all stunned and beaten up first
>>
>>321195947
What do you think of the voice acting so far?
>>
>>321195595
Thanks, that sounds pretty good then. I was just worried this was all there was going to be to it, and I'm okay with simple combat if the controls are fluid but it's a little janky since it only used the ps1 controls
>>
>>321196094
I'm taking it with a grain of salt considering this is early video game voice acting, but even then it seems to hold up. The voices in particular are something that seem lost in modern games, the way they sound fairy tale like and wise, not super edgy. Reminds of books on tape I would listen to in the car as a kid and makes it pretty comfy
>>
>>321195845
prove it
>>
>>321195641
I really like behind the scenes on games, shows that people really cared although it sucks that you only usually get to see them when stuff has been cut or shat on. But I will check it out, thanks.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-23-12-22-51.jpg (190 KB, 1440x1115) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-23-12-22-51.jpg
190 KB, 1440x1115
>>321196494
Don't really know what to day to prove it. I hated those spellcasting guys and would waste all my projectiles on them? And werewolf form was a neat surprise I didn't expect going into a vampire game. Played it on my phone while a worked a security job
>>
>>321196597
>I really like behind the scenes on games
Then this is really a treasure cove, because over 50% of the initial game was cut due to time constraints.

You won't notice much in the beginning, but towards the end things will jump around and start to feel rushed. So to get the full story you should really read about what got cut as it could have been a better game in every way imaginable.
>>
>>321194521
>Its kind of like grimdark zelda.

It's actually more like dark Tomb Raider. Blood Omen is like a gothic Zelda game.
>>
While we're on the topic of this series, I saw Nosgoth and it looked pretty fun. I'm aware that it apparently shit's on the lore, but is the game itself any good? I can separate lore from different designers and not get all autistic like most people here e.g shadows of mordor.
>>
>>321194198
Bloodrayne plays way better than Blood Omen 1 or 2. That's really not saying much though. The only advantage they had was the story and having Simon Templeman as Kain.
>>
>>321195579
you didn't
>>
Posting in every LoK thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3faOccJsZc

Someone went through and compiled all of the games and put the whole story in one six hour video, so if you feel like going through the story but dont want to replay the games, here you go.

If you've never played them, though, you should play the games first
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.