[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think of Final Fantasy XII?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6
What does /v/ think of Final Fantasy XII?
>>
IZJS is high tier

Vanilla is mid at best
>>
I got it as kid, played about 8 hours, hated vaan and demon wall fucked my shit up. Went back and beat it, holy fuck it an amazing game. The story, combat, bad ass summons, leveling, char customization is cool. It just sucks that Vaan & Penelo are forced down your throat when they are so fucking terrible.
>>
>>321188667
It had potential but the battle system was too MMO-ish, the story was OK but ruined by the pointlessness of Vaan and Penelo, the villains had too little screen time, and while I can give credit to the god tier soundtrack (I mean holy shit listen to Esper Battle), graphics that really pushed the PS2, art design, and absurd amount of content, I can only see people enjoying it for the feeling of being in that world for the most part. Basch should've been protag and the "classes" in IZJS is stupid
>>
>>321188667
>What does /v/ think of Final Fantasy XII?

I think it needs a god damn HD re-release of the IZJS version for PS4 and PC right now. I've been waiting for ages. I don't know why Square hates VIII and XII so much.
>>
IZJS is great.
>>
>>321188667
Shit story.
Gambit system has potential but will probably never be used in any FF game ever.
IZJS is shit because 3 man parties are too restricted in terms of jobs, especially when you can't change the jobs.
>>
>>321188914
>It had potential but the battle system was too MMO-ish

It's literally ATB with movement.
>>
>>321189050
>IZJS is shit because 3 man parties are too restricted in terms of jobs, especially when you can't change the jobs.
That's why you can change your fucking party whenever you want.
>>
Its my favorite numbered Final Fantasy, it only lacks Gria.
>>
>>321189108
Would be great if it worked on the fly like in X. But in XII there was a fucking HUGE delay in opening the menu, and when changing characters and exiting the window the game took too long to change the character model on the screen. It was too tedious to be enjoyable in any way.
>>
I love it
Team FAP the best
>>
Best game in the series.
>>
>>321189050
I went with Breaker as tank, Red Mage as healer and Machinist as "dps"

I had no problems.
>>
>>321189081
Gambits literally took away control from the player, and some times Gambits screwed me over. In order for me to have the most fun with the battles, I literally had to set all Gambits to attack and anything else I wanted to do I did manually so I wasn't watching a video game I could've been actually playing.
>>
Plays itself, has pretty pictures. It would be perfect FF if it had Lightning.
>>
Booooring

The automated battle are boring,the cast is boring, the dungeon are boring, the open world is boring

Feels like the people that like it just would eat anything that the matsuno/sakimoto combo shits up
>>
>>321189349
Or, you know, not use gambits at all. They're not forced on you. Also, gambits have nothing to do with the battle system itself.
>>
>>321189308
HAHAHAHAHAHHA No
>>
Terrible combat, terrible character progression, terrible story. World design was the only redeeming feature.
>>
File: 1439775847210.jpg (84 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1439775847210.jpg
84 KB, 420x420
>>321188667
definitely great.

My favorites are this, final fantasy 2, dissidia duodecim, and tactics/tactics advance.

FF2 is literally casual filter:the game
>>
File: 21411781_p0.png (395 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
21411781_p0.png
395 KB, 900x900
>>321188795
Personally I felt that the jobs in IZJS were a little too restrictive on characters and that the freedom allowed by the original License Board made for more interesting character setups.
Mainly I didn't like the fact that some licenses are totally blocked off by espers, forcing you to get them for that character or miss out on the license.

also Gabranth is best husbando
>>
>>321188667
I don't like it.
Final Fantasy games are usually really fast paced and diverse, but in this game you spend almost all the game running through fields where how they look is the only thing setting them apart.
The story starts out great and feels fresh, but you can clearly see when the development problems kick in and it all becomes a mess
>>
>>321188667
wasted potential.
>>
Garbage
>>
By far the best in the series, not that there's much competition anyway.
>>
>>321189591
>liking all-skiller characters like in FF8/7 instead of jobs

Literally cancer.
>>
File: FF12_intro-shot.jpg (70 KB, 810x472) Image search: [Google]
FF12_intro-shot.jpg
70 KB, 810x472
Faram.
>>
>>321189591
Gabranth was my favorite on dissidia, maybe because he was kind of OP.
>>
>>321189436
Yeah I could not use Gambits but I certainly wouldn't be having fun constantly pressing X barely more than I had to in XIII AND XIII-2 combined just to make my members attack enemies.
>>
Impossible to play without 10 different guides open.
Grinding is pretty fun but its very easy to quickly overlevel yourself.
8/10
>>
>>321188951
why would they rerelease one of the most recent entries in the series? lol
>>
>>321188667
good combat system and OST, meh everything else
>>
>>321189731
>ff
>fast paced.

damn, youre defusing your own bait.
you shouldnt make it that obvious you're fishing for (you)s man.
>>
FF6>FF5>FF4>FF9>FF7>FF12

I don't care about other FFs except Tactics. They're not necessarily bad games, they just simply don't come close to the ones mentioned above. That's due to different reasons though, it's kinda dumb to judge a game solely on a single aspect when it's made of several.
>>
>>321189906
>but I certainly wouldn't be having fun constantly pressing X barely more than I had to in XIII AND XIII-2 combined just to make my members attack enemies.

you mean like in every other final fantasy where attack is your bread and butter? people are so fucking weird about gambits, I swear.

>they take away muh control
>game is all about auto attacking
you don't see a connection between the two there?
>>
>>321189818
Yeah it's possible to make every character do everything, but you just gotta limit yourself. I loved FFIII's and XI's job systems, but the IZJS just didn't do it for me.
>>
>>321189496
FF2 is literally attack yourself over and over again for an hour and then you steamrolled through the rest of the game. Its a stupid concept.
>>
>>321189884
he was underpowered as fuck in duodecim.
only good at beating up ai

legitimate op characters, at least in dissidia duodecim were Squall, Exdeath, Mateus, and MAYBE characters you could make meme setups with, like bravery gain on hp shantotto, or snooznlose kuja.

Gabranth had most bitchin armor though
>>
>>321190013
>Its a stupid concept.

not really. it was simply a prototype for things to come.
>>
>>321190179
I only played the original in japanese way back then, never got duodecim, I'm hyped for the arcade/ps4 one though.
>>
>>321189996
>FF6 and 4
>good
vomit
>>
>>321190013
nope, you could abuse ANY one feature in the game, if you were meticulous enough to grind it first.
Everything is really, really broken, its just that shitters using guides will always be able to easily grind fists and hp first.
>>
>>321188667
Boring and overrated as fuck.
>>
>>321189081
I think he's referring to the fact that they maybe copypasted FFXI's system but removed spell interrupts.
>>
>>321190013
>not abusing frog and teleport instead
>not abusing haste and that fury spell
its like you dont wanna 1 shot bosses, anon.

git gud
>>
>>321190257
You do realize that FF6 is considered the pinnacle of the franchise by both fans and journalists, yes?
>>
>>321190253
heard theyre gutting the hp attacks, and removing rpg skills.

the multiplayer is probably the reason theyre doing so though, so I can see why theyd do such a thing. get hype for 3 versus 3
>>
>>321188667
i thoroughly enjoyed building characters, even if it took a while to unlock the things (gambits?)
>>
>>321190512
Dissidia on my 55" tv will be fucking glorious.
>>
File: mudman-ngbust.jpg (87 KB, 630x900) Image search: [Google]
mudman-ngbust.jpg
87 KB, 630x900
>>321190179
wait, i only put in a few hours of doudecim but squall is op? he was my boy in vanilla and he was only mid tier, what happen?
>>
>>321188667
Let's do something different and discuss the theme of the game. I think we can all agree that the theme of the game is doing what is morally right versus doing one's duty. This is reflected in Princess Ashe's journey as she decides whether to do what is morally right and refuse to use the nethicite or to abuse their power and do her duty to her kingdom. I would say this is paralleled by Gabranth, who chose duty over doing the right choice, and suffers for it. Why then, is Vayne seen as the bad guy when he is also doing what is right by steering history away from the rules of Occurians and back into the hands of men?
>>
>>321189962
The fast pace is what sets them apart from other JRPGs.
The dungeons are very short, even in the early games.
They aren't all towns and dungeons either, there are all kinds of set pieces in between, and the story is spent just enough time on to keep it interesting.
FFXII has none of these qualities
>>
Use Gambits:
>Spend hours sitting in the pause menu programming your characters for each encounter like an autist
>Can't even make them do what you want because you had to "unlock" gambits. You literally have to FIND the ability to tell your party members to heal themselves when their health is low.
>Or you can just set up generic attack gambits which are suboptimal but will work for 99% of all battles.
>Proceed to watch game beat itself.

Don't use gambits:
>Pause the action every 0.2 seconds to rifle through the crappily designed UI and find what you want your character to do.
>Constantly pausing and switching characters as their turns come up so the crappy AI doesn't waste their turn.
>Essentially like every other turn-based/ATB FF only shittier since you have to babysit AIs and pause all the time instead of just being given control in fluid and intuitive menus as each turn comes up.

There's no defending it. FF1 has better combat.
>>
>>321190251
Romancing Sa-Ga actually did it right. FF2 was a nice concept but it was so poorly executed and if you really wanted to, you could OP yourself at the very beginning of the game.
>>
>>321188667
>go to that cave in the early game, don't remember where
>steal 3 deathbringers
>steamroll the game

was fun though.
>>
>>321190807
The last half of the game is not part of the orignal story, we will never know how it was actually supposed to play out
>>
>>321190807
I don't remember this game having a plot. Just a bunch of incoherent talky cutscenes about shit that is never given context.
>>
>>321190851
>not playing the IZJS
>>
>>321189998
Gambits remove the need to actually think. If you actually use them, you literally just sit there tinkering with them to suit your needs for each battle. It doesn't make battling fun, because you literally don't think about it.
>>
>>321189959
Only mainline game on only one console.
>>
>>321188667
It's been years since I've played it and I literally could not tell you anything about the story but I remember enjoying the environments and the hunter guild where Monteblanch lives.
>>
>>321191143
Yeah, because good gambits that could do that magically appeared on your list. Difference is, if you opted to use gambits extensively, you would do all the leg work BEFORE combat and then correct when necessary.
>>
>>321191143
Tell that to me when you beat Yaizimat/Omega/Hellwyrm with IZJS with active ATB while NOT swapping absorb gear whenever they're casting something.
>>
>>321188667
Really, honestly liked just about everything the game had to offer. The music is still something I listen to, to this day. The combat was fun, if a bit slow at times. The story was pretty solid, even if it does have moments of eh.

The only parts I did not like were Vaan and Penelo, who had absolutely no purpose being there.
>>
>>321191015
shh, youll upset the people who think the fake shakespearean accent is intellectual
>>
>>321190790
hes SSS tier.
using kuja assist, you can chain off of any ground slam, hit with barrel kick WHILE KUJA is ASSISTING, then kujas assist finishes attack, allowing you to follow up with any other attack.

Squall is op to any character that isnt exdeath or mateus.
>>
>>321190991
Shame. I felt like the weakest part of the plot is how ham-fisted it was in insisting that one should do what is right. Obviously anyone who strayed from the path suffers for it. It would've been nice for Vayne to be further expounded upon as another parallel to Ashe, who is also trying to do what is morally right but let's that corrupt him.

>>321191015
It was an okay plot. Overall, some parts were unnecessary. Definitely one of the less memorable one though.
>>
>>321191293
i tjink thr.game.should be enjoyable to play during the main quest. not just super bosses, nitwit
>>
>>321191812
No FF is fun for anyone during the main quest unless you're undereleved.
>>
>>321191949
13 was. It's honestly great in that levels doesn't matter as much as proper timing and pre-battle set-up.
>>
>>321192142
Get a trip so I can filter you.
>>
>>321192312
I can't afford to go on vacation right now.
>>
>>321188667
Top tier game with great story, charismatic main cast and shittons of content.
The clan and esper hunts were fun as fuck
>>
>>321191551
Yeah, the same shit ruined the new translation of FFT for me a lot. It's tolerable, but, ultimately detracts from the scenes more than the lackluster translation of the original.
>>
How do I get Emperor Scale without not killing myself trying to get it without killing myself trying to get a Ribbon first without killing myself.
Fucking fuck whose bright idea was to make those shitty dragons in the caverns, you can't even 1v1 em.
>>
>>321192142
>FFXIII fun at all during the tutorial
I don't even hate the game and that's simply wrong
>>
>>321188667
Terribly boring gameplay. Probably would've enjoyed it if I had played the international version with the fast forward button but god damn was that combat dull and slow as fuck.
>>
>>321188667
ITS MY FAVORITE GAME
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.