[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the difference of a game critic/reviewer and a normal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
What is the difference of a game critic/reviewer and a normal player?

Why is their judgement suppose to be better than everyone else's?

How many games do you think the standard game reviewer has played in his/her life?
>>
Game reviewers are supposed to be qualified (journalism degrees etc) but most just have shit taste.
>>
>>321184819

The critic gets payed for his opinion.
>>
No one thinks that reviewers are more qualified.
They're supposed to be better at expressing their opinions.
That's the only difference.
>>
>>321184819
Broadly, critics are supposed to be familiar with the history of whatever they're a critic of, so that they can assess new entries and compare them within that history.

Game critics are just ego-inflated normies that think that their opinion counts because they shout loader than others.
>>
>>321185591
And because they are paid to say certain things.
>>
>ever giving a shit about critics regardless of media
I think you guys are able to form your own shitty opinions, no reason to copy them from a "professional".
>>
>>321186365
How do you know if a game is worth playing without looking at other people's responses to it?
A good critic can tell you about the strengths and weaknesses of the game; you decide if it's worth buying and playing.

And as >>321185227 says, they're meant to be good at articulating their thoughts to make it clear what the game is like to play.
>>
>>321186152
Good point, that too.
>>
>>321186668
This is pretty much the easiest with vidya.
>look up gameplay-videos
>check if there are any technical issues in forums
>check what the developers track-record is
Won't take even 5 minutes.

Just the very idea that you need someone to tell you if something is good or not utterly baffles me.
>>
>>321186928
Completely agree. I wasn't trying to suggest "game X is bad" is useful, rather "movement feels snappy and responsive" or whatever.

The point I failed to make is that a critic's opinion (if they're actually decent and know vidya well) is worth considering. Some facets of a game can only be analysed when you actually play (e.g. "game feel", buzzword I know).

If you have a good friend who knows the ins and outs of fighting games tell you that SFVI is poorly balanced, you'd want to look into it yourself or hear what they have to say.
>>
dont post noire as your random anime girl to start threads you stupid redditor faggot
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.