[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me, or are the Shantae games overrated as fuck? The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 12
File: shantae.jpg (18 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
shantae.jpg
18 KB, 250x250
Is it just me, or are the Shantae games overrated as fuck? The platforming isn't even that interesting like in a Metroid or Castlevania.

Is it another case of graphics > gameplay, like Donkey Kong Country?
>>
>>321157405
>like Donkey Kong Country?
DKC had GOAT gameplay.
>>
They are a little style-over-substance, though certainly not to the same extent as DKC.
>>
>>321157405
They're fairly overrated, but Pirate's Curse is quite fun.
>>
Pirate's Curse is the only good game in the series.

They're overrated as fuck.
>>
>>321157405
>Shantae games overrated as fuck? The platforming isn't even that interesting like in a Metroid or Castlevania.
I've been saying this for years and in every shantae thread on /v/. These games are some of the most wildly overrated according to their fanbases and comparatively to other games like it.

I suppose if you'd count every game in the action platformer genre Castlevania/Metroid is somewhere near the top, Shinobi/Kirby/Henry fucking Hatsworth is top/mid, Rayman/Monster World/Wonder Boy is mid and Shantae's a good long distance away from those but not quite awful enough to be straight up shovel ware. Barely though imo.
>>
I want to rub my face in Shantae's purple pubic and anal hair
>>
>>321157405

I'm not going to claim Shantae has the best gameplay ever. But it is the closest we're gonna get to a new game like Zelda 2. And the mechanic of changing into animal forms when you dance was really well done. I actually didn't like using Risky's gear in Pirate's Curse until I got the last two items. While in the original Shantae, it was fun even just with the monkey.

The games are nothing like Metroid or Castlevania. They're more like Zelda 2 or Faxanadu. This is probably your problem. You expected Metroid and didn't get it. Just like those guys who played Muramasa expecting Metroid and instead got Legend of Kage on steroids.
>>
>>321158529
>But it is the closest we're gonna get to a new game like Zelda 2

Why does it have to be so bad?

>And the mechanic of changing into animal forms when you dance was really well done.

It was not. It's especially awful in Risky's Revenge since you have to constantly change bak and forth when leaving or entering rooms that it became an annoyance. It's like they were too lazy to animate room transition animations so they just said fuck it and made you transform back.
>>
I think part of the reason these games are overrated is because they're actually decent quality compared to what most developers make in the genre these days. They obviously pale in comparison to classics but they aren't to bad in the modern age.
>>
>>321158851

>Why does it have to be so bad?
In my opinion it isn't. Could it be better? Sure. That final dungeon in Pirate's Curse with all the spikes was pretty stupid. But there's more good than bad in the games.
>>
File: 1420503374467.png (147 KB, 305x267) Image search: [Google]
1420503374467.png
147 KB, 305x267
>>321157405
>Castlevania and Metroid
>interesting platforming
>>
>>321157405
They are. Take away the attractive female lead and nobody would care about the games at all.
>>
>>321158529
>Zelda 2 or Faxandu
Most of /v/ are too young to have played those games. That's why they think every sidescrolling platformer should be a Metroidvania and kick and scream whenever a game doesn't meet that criteria.
>>
>>321158457
Why? What will you get out of this? What is there to gain? I just want to know.
>>
File: 1446867444345.jpg (99 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1446867444345.jpg
99 KB, 800x450
>>321159470

Yeah, I'm a fossil who started on the Atari. So my view of games is a little different. I'm pleased when we just get a decent game these days. Which Shantae is pretty much the epitome of 'decent'. Not great, but not bad.

I honestly don't know if I should be hyped for the new game. WayForward is very inconsistent with its games. One game is good, the next it feels like they rushed it out just to make money. Only thing that keeps me interested is the next game she has her genie powers back. And the promise of being able to play as other characters.
>>
File: 54160917_p0.jpg (133 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
54160917_p0.jpg
133 KB, 1024x768
How are they overrated? Barely anyone even fucking knows about this series. Unless you're talking about /v/, in which case I've never seen anyone tout it as the greatest game ever or anything. People just think they're fun platformers and that's it.
>>
>best part of the game was dancing
>all subsequent games consolidated dancing to a single button press

Fucking ruined everything
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with gameplay of DKC series
>>
>>321159869
I disagree that they are only "decent" (which the exception of Risky's Revenge, which really was just decent). The games are very well designed and make clever use of all of Shantae's abilities, and the controls are tight and responsive. My only gripe is that they're too easy.

As for the next game, Wayforward are taking their time with it so hopefully it will be highly polished and have a good amount of content. Bit if you're on the fence just wait and see what the word of mouth is once people play through it.
>>
>>321160224
Think 1/2 genie will fix that?
>>
>>321160612

Shantae games are more challenging than most games in its genre. Save for stuff like Cave Story that just punish you with trial and error crap. And even then, a few areas in Shantae are like that too. They put pits and spikes in the perfect place for you to get killed the first time. Its just easy to remember it after you die once.

Still harder than any Metrovania.
>>
>>321160267
There's nothing that good about DKC gameplay either though, other than not having health which is kinda unique for a platformer.
>>
>>321160686
I've seen some stuff that looks like it'll be good but still skeptical
>>
>>321160904
>Still harder than any Metrovania.
Sounds like you didn't play OoE.
>>
>>321160929
Mario doesn't have health in it. Most of DKC's uniqueness comes from gimmick levels and collectibles.
>>
>>321157405
Troll harder. Name me a single platformer with more engaging gameplay than Donkey Kong.
>>
>>321160224
Yeah the way it was handled in the original game was definitely better than waiting through her animation cycles in RR. But it was hardly the best part of the game.
>>
>>321161141
Crash Bandicoot 2.
>>
>>321161141
Super Mario Bros.
>>
>>321160904
The original is the only one remotely challenging. RR and PC are extremely easy. Which is fine, I love them anyways.

Also Circle of the Moon is far more difficult than any Shantae game.

>>321161038
OoE isn't that difficult. I had more trouble with the Nation of Fools in PoR than anything in OoE. Ecclesia is still my favorite DS Castlevania though.
>>
>>321159407
Hey moron, just because you don't like a game doesn't mean that other people can't. If you honestly believe what you said in that comment then you're an incredibly shallow idiot.
>>
>>321161141
NES/SNES Mario games, Genesis Sonics, Rayman Origins/Legends, the Klonoa games, etc. I like DKC but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
>>
>>321161141

20 years later and we still have DKC fanboys...

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. We still have Sonic fanboys as well.
>>
>>321163250
Yes good games tend to aquire fans. And both Sonic and DK had some great games in the past.
>>
>>321159470
>hat's why they think every sidescrolling platformer should be a Metroidvania and kick and scream whenever a game doesn't meet that criteria.
How do you figure?
>>
File: 1393550250881.png (149 KB, 242x360) Image search: [Google]
1393550250881.png
149 KB, 242x360
>>321157405
>Is it another case of graphics > gameplay, like Donkey Kong Country?

While I agree with Shantae being nothing special (it's still casual fun though), shut the fuck up about DKC.
>>
>>321164090
Not even that guy but DKC2 was the only great one, DKC1&3 are just ok.

DKC Returns is great and haven't played Tropical Freeze yet but I've heard it's the best one.
>>
>>321165486
Tropical Freeze is a platformer that I honestly believe could stand up to classics.
>>
>>321164090
>implying people didn't only care about DKC back in the day for its CGI

Face it, without Donkey Kong or the OMG 3D graphics nobody would've cared about DKC.
>>
>>321161839
He's not wrong, though.
>>
>>321166493
Yes he is wrong, I gues he's not the only one who's shallow. Quit treating your opinions as fact. If people only liked the series for looks, then how come critics have praised the games for aspects INCLUDING the gameplay (people can like certain gameplay which others may not) and have game developers like Ken Sugimori and Inti Creates (who know work on the Shantae games) as fans of the series. SOME of the franchise's fans think that way but not all of them, it's the same for a lot of other franchises like Tomb Raider and Metroid.
>>
>>321167159
*Now* not *Know
>>
>>321157405
>Just like Donkey Kong

full retard. Also,
>Castlevania
>Interesting platforming

Fun combat, sure, but platforming? Toppius kekkius m8
>>
Only played gbc and RR. RR was ok, gbc was complete shit.

Looking forward to a decent discount on Pirate's Curse
>>
>>321157405
Isn't she nothing more than fap material?
>>
>>321159859
Just for laughs.
haha
>>
>>321168757
Would an E10+ character be fap material?
>>
I want to make quarter-genie babies with Shantae.
>>
>>321167786
Pirate's Curse is 50% off on the eShop at the moment.
>>
The GBC game had fun dungeons, but the overworld traversal was utter garbage.
>>
>>321158967

You do realize the first game was in 2002 right?
>>
File: HGH_rottytops_portrait_(early).png (125 KB, 300x335) Image search: [Google]
HGH_rottytops_portrait_(early).png
125 KB, 300x335
I only just picked up the Shantae series recently, played Risky's Revenge, and liked it enough to play Pirates Curse, which in part I loved twice as much.

I'm excited for Half Genie Hero too.

Rottytops is best girl.
>>
I enjoyed the first but Risky's Revenge was pretty disappointing.
>>
File: 1415170753596.jpg (81 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
1415170753596.jpg
81 KB, 400x240
>>321172946
But Risky was much bester in PC.
>>
>>321161141
Megaman.
>>
She is cute
>>
>>321157405
The GBC one is honestly my favorite, but that's nostalgia talking. When all you have for GBC as a kid is Shantae, Pokemon Crystal, and Wario Land 3 even when the GBA is out but your family can't afford it, you cling to what you got.
>>
>>321157405
When the fuck are they gonna finish that kickstart game?
>>
>>321176715
>Shantae game
>finishing on time
Pick one, you can't have both.
>>
>overrated by the fanbase

That's just the fanbase wanting the game to be mainstream and not niche.
Nobody in their right minds doesn't think that each of these games don't have their own flaws, pros and cons, even.
>>
It's not just you.

I mean they're okay, but with how vocal people get about them you'd think they'd be the second coming of the genre or something.
>>
>>321165825
Seeing as how I actually own a Wii U I should probably get around to that.

I'm glad most of us can agree shantae is a mediocre game. Always baffled me how overrated it was.
>>
>>321157661
FUCK OFF?!
>>
>>321163740
DK still has great games
>>
>>321157405

The only one I'd say is "good" is Pirates Curse.

The first one is clunky, and the second one is as clunky. Ironically, the one that changed the gameplay up the most and didn't disrupt the flow with dancing turned out to be the best. Shame that the next game is going back to the RR formula.
>>
>See these games praised over and over again universally
>Download Risky's Revenge
>Forgettable platformer
>>
>>321157405

personaly i hate all of them

except pirate curse, pirate curse is cool as fuck
>>
>>321181536
>Forgettable platformer
That's pretty much my experience and I started with the GBC game. It's the same thing that happened with Xenosaga.

Played the first, it was meh, played the second, it actually pissed me off with how mediocre and boring it was and everyone sucks the third's dick but fuck that I'm done.
>>
>tfw HGH will be released, but doesn't have mobile or AAA marketing, stays niche, and suffers the same fate as Futurama and Freakazoid

SASUGA HUMANITY
>>
>DURR STORY'S NOT IMPORTANT IN A VIDEO GAME

These threads prove otherwise.
>>
>>321184751
What?
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 628x606) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 628x606
>>321169704
haha
>>
>>321160904
>Save for stuff like Cave Story that just punish you with trial and error crap

What? Can you site an example?
I can definitely see people not like the way Cave Story punishes the player, but I would never describe any part of it as "trial and error".
>>
File: 1434091656842.gif (285 KB, 137x249) Image search: [Google]
1434091656842.gif
285 KB, 137x249
>>321168757
Shantae is for hugs and cuddles you barbaric pervert.
>>
>>321157405
People are only in it for the cute waifu. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>321185947
And?
>>
So... are the two Shantae games on Steam worth getting or not? Getting mixed signals here, with half of you saying it's great and the other half saying it's shit.
>>
>>321186602
pirate them
>>
File: 1427632165100.jpg (3 MB, 2796x6734) Image search: [Google]
1427632165100.jpg
3 MB, 2796x6734
>>321186702
>>
>>321157405
why do you think only autist kids play this game?
they just want to worship a waifu, game quality isn't their priority
>>
>>321185947
Critics Praise her games for the gameplay, music and humour and video game designers like Ken Sugumori and Inticreates like her games. It's not just so called 'waifufags' who like her games you shallow minded twit.
>>
>>321186602
Does a game have to be the second coming of Jesus for you to enjoy it?
Then no.

Do you just like playing video games, emphasis on the characters and humor?
Get it, they're solid builds, and you won't be disappointed.
>>
File: 2015-10-26_00002.jpg (201 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-26_00002.jpg
201 KB, 1366x768
I played through the entire trilogy for the very first time last month on PC, and I found them fun as hell.

The characters are cute and memorable, and the humor's pretty nice. Gameplay's all around OK, besides a few damage-sponge enemies in the GBC original. Visuals are all around great.

Not to mention the IP's barely recognized outside /v/ and couple other gaming enthusiasm online circles. Thus, it really cannot be "overrated".
>>
>>321157405
Waifufags
>>
>>321189629
Or people who actually like the games as people have differant tastes. And I'e said before and I'll say it again, videogame developers such as Ken Sugimori and Inticreates are fans of the Shantae series and Ken Sugimori. So called 'Waifufags' aren't the only people who play the games moron.
>>
>>321181472
Um you do know that you can customize what the dances do in HGH right? Like it could be for a buff or summon instead of justc a transformation
>>
>>321190261
Yeah they keep saying that because it's a big red target they can attack. The same people would be calling it a meme game if it didn't have a cute protagonist.
>>
>>321157405
I just got shantae pirate booty and have put a couple hours into it. I actually really enjoy the small puzzles and game play. Usually I get ducking frustrated and read a guide whenever there's a puzzle, but for some reason these ones just vibe with me.

She's also cute
>>
I'm gonna be honest here, I want to beat the first game but the overworld is a chore go through and the furthest I went was finishing the second dungeon after that I stopped, when I got Risky's Revenge on steam first thing I noticed how overworld was easier to traverse thus I didn't have any problems going back to it and beating it, its short (4-5 hours) and doesn't really have any of the extras that the first one had and the dancing was simplified but it was all around less of a chore to play but didn't really do much to improve the gameplay but I still enjoyed it (got it for 2.50 on a sale so I can't complain) pirates Curse though is objectively the best in every category and improves on the first and second games with length, story, music, gameplay etc. and I bought it full price day one when I landed on steam, HGH looks like it could potentially be even greater than pirates Curse and considering Risky's Revenge was rushed and WF is taking their time with HGH like they did with Pirates Curse I can honestly say its going to be a great game when it releases early 2016.
>>
My favorite Shantae is always gonna be the very first one for GBC. The newer ones just seem like basic platforming and fanservice.

Just like how Skullgirls is a basic MvC2 fighter with fanservice. Give a bunch of NEETs some anime-esque titties and you can sell them just about anything.
>>
File: Risky.jpg (159 KB, 455x1000) Image search: [Google]
Risky.jpg
159 KB, 455x1000
>tfw Risky will never be your mother.
>>
>>321192685
Half-Genie Hero looks kickass though
>>
Somecallmejohnny's review is spot on about the whole series
>>
I wonder if Risky's Revenge could have been a better game if they didn't have to limit it to be a dsiware game.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.