[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need a honest opinion /v/ All my friends hate fire emblem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: fe14_a1920_1080.jpg (424 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fe14_a1920_1080.jpg
424 KB, 1920x1080
I need a honest opinion /v/
All my friends hate fire emblem games and I'm wondering if they are actually good or just "waifu simulator"
>>
>>321138498
All before 13(awakening) are good and not waifu simulators
>>
I find 50% of the people (that I know) that played FE before Awakening hated it because of the waifu simulator garbage, and the other half like the series more since it became waifu simulator.

You have two options.

Play a game earlier than 13, you might enjoy it, you might not. The aesthetic will probably seem a little dated but the gameplay is there.

Play Awakening so you know what it's all about. If you like it, you will like the games coming out next.

Each option will likely jeopardize your view of the other.
>>
>>321138498
>just "waifu simulator"
I'm still confused why this is spread around so much when only one character in the game is actually forced to be married. It's like all the hate 8 got for having the option to grind. Just don't fucking do it.
>>
>>321138498
Fire Emblem has always been shit
It was never popular, highly rated or sold well WW until Awakening. Awakening was the outlier because the 3DS came out, Nintendo were losing millions upon milions, 3DS only had a number of ports (OoT and SF64) and people were literally fucking DYING for a new game and FE:A was the first game. So the press here and overseas jumped on it, ravished the fuck out of it, and hundreds of thousands of Japanese people went out and bought it (this is also because Nintendo threatened that if it didn't sell well it would be the last in the series)

It's an average game with a insanely high score despite being ENTIRELY mediocre. Not bad but totally mediocre. It comes nowhere near the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre LUCT or even Shining Force (in Japan SF used to trample this game despite it's legacy)

Anyway the reason why your friends don't like it is because they are children who started playing Nintendo games with the 3DS. Case closed.
>>
They were never particularly good tactical RPGs, so becoming waifu simulators was a step up for the series.

They should really just stick to making Advance Wars games.
>>
all of them ARE actually good and only two or three are actually waifu sims, and even then that's not the focus of those games.
>>
>>321138498
>FE 1-3
Dated garbage
>FE 4-5
Dated but playable. 5 has the best tactics in the series.
>FE 6-10
Good games, but the beginning of waifus. 7-9 are really easy.
>FE 11-12
Remakes of 1 and 3, and the superior version. 11 is still mediocre.
>FE 13
The reason your friends hate the games.
>FE 14
Waifuism but has good gameplay this time.
>>
>>321140667
>Good games, but the beginning of waifus
really that shit started with 4
>>
>>321140870
>The beginning of a noticeable amount of waifuism*
How's that?
>>
>Waifu sim
>Its optional
>Doesn't even play like a waifu sim
>Majority of the game is game play
>people still think its a waifu simulator because of the option to marry.

Fuck you guys. If you stopped saying this shit maybe we would have more game discussion instead of waifus.
>>
>>321141120
Awakening had shit gameplay, which is why nobody talks about it.
>>
>>321139989
This.
>>
>>321141275
>Awakening had shit gameplay, which is why nobody talks about it
>talking about the gameplay
>in a turn-based rpg
Why the fuck would anyone do that? Mechanics, maybe. But what the fuck else is there to discuss?
>>
Something I really like about Fire Emblem was how its damage formula is mostly deterministic; crits/dodges/skill procs aside, you can EXACTLY calculate how much damage a given attack can do in your head (it's just enemy mt - your def +/- weapon triangle - terrain bonuses), meaning you can do really cool crap like plan a strat leaving a character at exactly 1 HP. Any other SRPGs have a really deterministic damage formula?
>>
>>321140667
Recommended list out of these
Every FE game before 7 and 12 have no *OFFICIAL* localization

>FE 11 - 12 for DS
11 : Marth's story, default difficulty, which is a little bit harder than what newcomers expect.

12 : The evil source of Marth's game makes a comeback. You play as Marth's sidekick, your self insert, similar to Robin.

>FE 6, 7, 9 for GBA
7 : Eliwood's story. Great starting point, you get to know the past events of the continent Elibe.

6 : Roy's story. Yes, the one from Melee. Son of Eliwood, defends his land from an evil awakened indirectly by his father's kindness.
WARNING : HARD AF

9 : Erika's story. AFAIK the first female protagonist, spoon feeds you everything but it's the closest to the 3DS formulas.

>FE 10, 11 for Wii
10 : Ike's story. Watch Ike discover his strength in what seems to be the most powerful FE lord before "infinite level-ups".

11 : Now with Ike being capable of growing even more, you'll receive help from "animal" royals who'll help you take out a goddess.

>FE 13-14
We said FE games.
>>
>>321142319
Uh, don't ask me.
Ask this guy >>321141120
I was only pointing out that there's nothing else to discuss about Awakening besides waifus since the gameplay sucks dick.
>>
File: God Fucking Dammit.gif (795 KB, 320x192) Image search: [Google]
God Fucking Dammit.gif
795 KB, 320x192
>>321139989
>tfw advance wars is dead
Ultimate suffering
>>
>>321142857
I don't think it's the gameplay, skills did fine in Ike's games. The reason is more or less the map design, being big as fuck and basically no strategic positioning other than random fortress tiles.
>>
>>321143182
The map design IS the gameplay.
Also, some skills were completely broken, such as Limit Breaker, Galeforce, and Armsthrift.
>>
>>321143340
Guess they overdid it because >muh 3D maps.
Are they better in Fates? I saw what is essentially A Battle Before Dawn in Fates' third path with hamayama, IIRC.
>>
>>321142602
>AFAIK the first female protagonist, spoon feeds you everything but it's the closest to the 3DS formulas

both of those were true of Gaiden before FE8
>>
>>321143570
The Fates maps in general are just better than Awakening, with Nohr having the best, followed by IK then Hoshido.
Then again, you don't have to try hard to have better map design and balance than Awakening. The only game with worse maps would be Gaiden.
>>
>>321143624
Yeah, I haven't forced myself to play pre FE6 games because I just suck at them.
Oh well, at least I have Sigurd + Flora on fire memes all day.
>>
>>321143887
Nohr's multiplayer handicap sucks dick, Hoshido always has Takumi + Copycat + Prf weapon.

FE revolves around its Single player but a few matches are unfair for those who bought the Nohr version.
>>
>>321144215
what do you mean by this?
run me through the problems with multiplayer, and what exactly multiplayer entails
>>
Fates' multiplayer consists of a 5 unit team against another, on preset maps, like Shadow Dragon.

As you may know, Nohr offers no grinding capabilities unlike Hoshido. The problem here is that they share Multiplayer.

An endgame Nohr team may fight a grinded Hoshido one with a handicap that offers little retaliation, thus being unfair for the Nohr player.

I could not find the video explaining the handicap, my b.
>>
>>321145628
do people actually care about FE multiplayer?
I've been playing these games for 12 years and I don't think I've ever played multiplayer
>>
>>321138498
I like them because they're fun.
>>
>>321138498
Jaded and bitter old Fire Emblem fans are mad that the last title (Awakening) sold bajillions compared to their old shitty games

It also made the franchise popular (the next one has three games)
>>
>>321145628
>playing multiplayer with a Nohr cart

Pretty sure everyone who plays multiplayer uses the third DLC route and not Hoshido/Nohr
>>
File: 1436262939349.gif (1020 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1436262939349.gif
1020 KB, 500x373
If you want to enjoy the new games as they release, start with 13 and don't look back.

If you want to cry yourself to sleep because your favorite series is a corpse infected by modern anime tropes and casualized gameplay, play the ones before 13.
>>
>>321140667
>>321146489
>>321142602

You know if you actually want to give advice to someone just getting into FE you probably shouldn't use numbers that only people already invested in the series recognize
>>
File: ____bu__.png (17 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
____bu__.png
17 KB, 128x128
>>321146489
Here here

but 14 looks promising
>>
>>321147096
It isn't that hard to find out the numerical order.
Only takes about 10 seconds in google.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.