[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the better rpg earthbound or chronotrigger? i've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: EarthBound.jpg (294 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
EarthBound.jpg
294 KB, 1024x768
what is the better rpg earthbound or chronotrigger? i've reached twoson and im just wondering if i should switch games as i only wish to play through one rpg because they burn me out
>>
I prefer Chrono Trigger since it has better everything.
>>
>twoson
It's spelled "Tuscon," and what does some city in Arizona have to do with anything
>>
>>321124168
trying to be funny or just retarded?
>>
>>321124168
It's spelled "Tucson" retard and you're not funny.
>>
>>321123694
>Twoson

Best town theme imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHxPpm00OqM
>>
>>321124557
wtf are you talking about, i just closed the game and the policeman goes "do you want to go too twoson"
>>
>>321123694
they're both fantastic rpgs but very different ways. looking for something quirky and funny with a comfy atmosphere? play Earthbound. looking for a more serious game with probably better gameplay? Play Chrono Trigger. In all honesty, I'd recommend you play both if you can.
>>
>>321125505
cool thank you
>>
>>321123694
Undertale :^)
>>
>>321123886
This. Earthbound is a meme game, boring as hell.
CT is fun from the beginning to the end.
>>
>>321123694
Chrono Trigger. Earthbound is shit.
>>
>>321125981
I don't think it's a bad game, but it's just outclassed by Chrono Trigger.

Sure, it's got a goofy atmosphere, but the story and characters are paper thin. And the gameplay is about as basic as you can get.
>>
ok cheers guys i will play chrono instead
>>
>>321125002
The guy I quoted tried to make a joke about a city in Arizona named Tucson because it sounds like "twoson" when you pronounce it.
>>
>>321123694
You should play Dragon Quest V anon
>>
>>321123694
Play ps1 tales of phantasia with patch.
>>
Both are fantastic games. EB is just a funny/quirky Dragon Quest game. CT probably has the better gameplay and definitely more content and a solid animu jrpg storyline.

>people calling EB a meme game because of Tumblrtale

That's cute.
>>
>>321127201
Undertale is a better game than Earthbound.

Both are nothing special

>muh quirky rpgs

Play Mother 3 if you want quirky and also a good game.
>>
File: 1433048828376.gif (7 KB, 130x142) Image search: [Google]
1433048828376.gif
7 KB, 130x142
Disregard ANYONE who says Earthbound (or any of the Mother games) is a top tier RPG. It is nothing special in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>321127201
>>321127392
How about we just not talk about Undertale all together, hmm?
>>
>>321125505
this is pretty accurate. recently played both for the first time. preferred earthbound but I can easily see how one would like chrono trigger better. just kinda depends what you like. OP, twoson isn't very far in the game and I'd say keep going, the gameplay gets better as you get more party members and get more abilities. I'd say if you get through fourside and still aren't liking it drop it, but it's up to you, don't force yourself to play a game you don't like
>>
>>321127392
If you say so, I was pretty bored by Undertale. But you're right, neither one is particularly fantastic unless you like their stories. EB has much more content and better music than Tumblrtale though, objectively.

Still though, calling Earthbound a meme game is stupid. It's been loved for a long time for a reason.

Mother 3 does trump the gameplay in EB for sure.
>>
>>321123694
Deus Ex
>>
>>321127910
im actually quite liking it but if theres a better rpg i woould prefer to play that, sounds dumb but they really fucking burn me out so i play them few and far between so when i do play one i want to play the better one, and guys stop talking about undertale jesus, i've played it and it was a standard 5/10
>>
>>321123694
Earthbound is more normie friendly, Chrono Trigger gets autistic at certain points but nowhere near Undertale levels of autism.
>>
>>321128343
Have you been on this board in the last month or so? There is absolutely no way to separate EB/Undertale posting. Gaming sites have been pushing it and /v/ has clearly lost it's mind over the whole deal.

It's hard to dictate what people talk about on an angry anonymous image board bruv.

Personally, I'd go for Chrono Trigger if you don't play jrpg's often. The combat is more varied and complex, there is tons of content, the music is great in both, and the art style is iconic.
>>
>>321128643
>EB normie friendly
>CT autistic but nowhere near Undertale levels of autism

smiling confused black man.jpg

I'd never say either game applied to normie/reeeeee/autist /v/ buzzwords
>>
>>321128643
>more normie friendly

Really? I found CT to be a lot easier then EB, I don't think I ever died once while playing CT, but I've died a ton of times in EB.
>>
>>321123694
Finish EarthBound, then do Chrono Trigger later.

Both are good. Which one is better is up to you.
>>
I've owned both CT and EB since the late 90's and CT is a far better game.
>>
>>321127721
The rolling HP was innovative though
I forget if M1 had it
>>
File: 1446567225375.png (2 KB, 210x195) Image search: [Google]
1446567225375.png
2 KB, 210x195
>all these people hating EB/mother

I love CT too, but acting like the other game is trash is just being silly.
>>
>>321129596

Nah, you just fell for the meme because you're young and experienced EB after Smash Bros. came out.
>>
File: 144963278837.png (439 KB, 499x368) Image search: [Google]
144963278837.png
439 KB, 499x368
>>321127201
>EB is just a funny/quirky Dragon Quest game
>Implying that DQ games aren't funny/quirky
>>
>>321129776
Don't nitpick, you know what I meant. It's a Dragon Quest game with a Japanese dudes view of the West and childhood experiences with silly references and goofy, quirky dialogue.

DQ are fine games and no one is saying they are or aren't anything.
>>
>>321129596
Undertale made it obsolete.
>>
>>321129690
wouldn't if anything EB be a better game if you experienced it earlier since it would have been more innovative for the time
>>
>>321129384
It doesn't, but to compensate for it, it has more spells and it is harder, even if you use the Easy Ring.
>>
>>321130201
>meme game forgotten in 3 months made decade+ old classic loved by everyone obsolete

I can only imagine what the threads and generals for Undertale look like. Scratch that, I don't want to imagine something so autistic
>>
File: 1423385939597.png (284 KB, 2304x2048) Image search: [Google]
1423385939597.png
284 KB, 2304x2048
>>321129690
You fell for the EB hate meme after brawl.
>>
>>321128905
How do you die at all in Earthbound except maybe once to the Sharks if you don't grind a few levels before fighting them, or maybe in the Fourside Dept. Store
I love the game but it's piss easy, except for the Dept Store part. Especially once you can get a constant supply of bottle rockets.
>>
>>321129596
Most people are saying that they love both games, but that CT has superior gameplay, and it's true.

The ones who are plainly shitting on EB are just memers.
>>
legitimately Undertale
>>
>>321130582
Those fucking exploding trees, bruv. There are also some pretty heinous encounters later in the game but if you play rpg's at all, you'll be leveled enough by then to dominate everything, especially if you ground for Sword of Kings or Gutsy Bat
>>
>>321123694
I was much more invested in Chrono Trigger's story and characters. Earthbound seems like a lot of silly events with little narrative. Tell me you saw that whole "put you in robots so you can go to Giygas' dimension" thing coming. Or Giygas' involvement in the plot much at all besides badguys saying they work for him.

That's not to say it didn't have charm nonetheless.
>>
File: Gigyas.jpg (100 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
Gigyas.jpg
100 KB, 900x675
>>321130847
Funny that you bring that up, seeing as both games end with you going back in time to defeat a final boss that has several forms you have to crawl into. The final form of lavos never made much sense to me, why was there some robotic shit inside of a planet seeding space sperm? I'm not claiming gigyas made much more sense, but the irrationality behind it made it work more.
>>
>>321130582
I died mostly in magicant, that place is a bitch.

I just wish it wasn't censored, it would make more sense for Ness to only wear his hat there, and it just makes him more bad ass for taking on fucking krackens naked.
>>
>>321131191
>The final form of lavos never made much sense to me
Granted. But aside from him looking like Cell and shit randomly, most of the game felt like it was building towards Lavos. Maybe it is hypocritical of me to say and they're both nonsense. It's been ages since I've played either.
>>
still have no clue what game to play...guess i will just decide next time i go to play
>>
>>321123694
Earthbound is a good game. Chrono Trigger's a good game.

Undertale does not compare to Earthbound, and people need to stop pretending that it does.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.