[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Castlevania Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: simoncv.jpg (114 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
simoncv.jpg
114 KB, 1024x768
When did Castlevania truly die, /v/?

With the release of IGAvania on the PSX?
With the addition of moeshit in Rondo of Blood?
Or with the multi-whip bullshit in Super Castlevania IV?
>>
Lord of Shadows.

Metroidvania was a great idea, it was just abused to shit and quickly became redundant. I wish they would have made more plateformers instead.

But when it REALLY became complete fucking shit is Lord of Shadows hands down. It's when Castlevania officially stopped being Castlevania.
>>
IGAvania

Whine all you want about how "casual" SCIV was, but IGAVania turned the series into a grindfest animu clusterfuck.

For all that Lords of Shadows did wrong, it at least remembered the root of Castlevania being about fighting monsters on your way to Dracula.
>>
>>321111191
It died when Konami became the corporate bastards they are today.
>>
Whipping is pretty shit gameplay for 3D.
>>
>>321111490

Yeah, it just forgot substance, style and concept on its way to Dracula as well.
>>
Konami wanting to focus on pachinko machines. There is no other answer.

Sure, the IGAvania games casualized the series hard and there are a sea of them, but at least Castlevania games were being made. Likewise, the 3D Castlevania games may be shit, but at least they're Castlevania games. So it all goes back to Konami not wanting to make video games anymore.
>>
All I want is a Castlevania V with Rondo's god tier enemies, IV's amazingly smooth controls, Bloodlines-style music, III's level designs, and Vanillaware-like high def 2D graphics.
>>
>>321112107

Not only games, but interesting progress to the fucking lore.

When Metroidvania games failed in the originality department, it at least updated on the Mythos and chronology of events, which is one of the interesting parts of the series.

Maybe not everyone is with me on this one, but the Castlevania lore was one of my favorites. not very complicated, not too convoluted, easy to follow and with defined characters and, at least, new Metroidvania games had interesting scenarios.
>>
this >>321111453
Lords of Shadows 2 was the final nail in the coffin
>>
I'd say lords of shadow was the final nail in the coffin, it started with SotN though.
>>
>>321112107
The pachinko games were just Konami raping Castlevania's corpse. It had died long before that.
>>
The second rpg elements and leveling up happened.

Those games are all fine, but they aren't castlevania.
>>
>>321111490
>but IGAVania turned the series into a grindfest
>grindfest
every time, if you have to grind to beat a IGAVania you are truly retarded
>>
>>321113680
so ... in the second game?
>>
>>321114862
Yep. Simon's Quest is fucking trash.
>>
>>321111453
Just cuz its a spinoff doesnt mean its bad. The gameplay and art direction is bretty gud.
>>
It should have died respectably like Ghosts 'n Goblins instead of getting milked to death.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.