[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know barely nothing about vidya but I have a question : what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: 6th-generation-of-consoles-.jpg (101 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
6th-generation-of-consoles-.jpg
101 KB, 1280x720
I know barely nothing about vidya but I have a question :
what was the difference between all this gen consoles ?
Was a PS2 more powerful than a GameCube?

Is a multiplat game better on a certain console than another?

that's 3 questions sorry
>>
In terms of power

Xbox, GC, ps2, dreamcast.

Multiplats were typically best on xbox.
>>
>>321080016
The GameCube is more powerful than PS2, though for some multi-plats the PS2 version ran at a higher framerate, I presume because it was the lead platform.
>>
>>321080253
ps2 it's not better than the dremacast
>>
>>321082884
>In terms of power
>>
File: 1442700746492.png (34 KB, 196x197) Image search: [Google]
1442700746492.png
34 KB, 196x197
>>321080016
Xbox was by far the most powerful http://wars.locopuyo.com/cwsystemspecsold.php
>>
If I play a GameCube game on Wii, will it change something?
>>
>>321080016
imo ps2 was kinda shit compared to gamecube and xbox
not a single ps2 game was better than halo 1 n 2/unreal champsionship 2 MechAssault 1 n 2
(forza 1 is better than GT 3 n 4)
>>
Xbox was the most powerful, PS2 was least powerful. Don't know about Dreamcast but it was kind of in between gens. Consoles (and PC) were still distinct platforms so each had unique exclusives though there were plenty of multiplats. Multiplat ports from other platforms often had their cutscenes prerendered for some reason even though games like GTA and MGS proved you could do them real time.
>>
Why do people lump the dreamcast in with this gen?

It was released years before anything else in the generation.

I consider it to be part of the PSX/N64 gen because of it's hardware
>>
>>321083647
If you have component cables it outputs in progressive.
Also you can't use Gameboy Player with the Wii.
That's all.
>>
>>321084005
>I consider it to be part of the PSX/N64 gen because of it's hardware
It was closer to the PS2 than the PS1/N64.
>>
>>321084005
What about the Saturn?
>>
>>321083025
even lacks on that; raw polygons doesn't mean all on a console
ps2 games mostly look washed up and pixelated
>>
>>321085493
You sure you aren't comparing RGB to composite?
>>
-Xbox was the most powerful with the best multiplats, but had the least amount of exclusives that weren’t also on PC.

-Gamecube was the second most powerful but really got shafted by third parties/multiplats. Nintendo exclusives of that gen however are still some of the best games ever made. Fantastic multiplayer system.

-PS2 was the weakest and had the largest library, of both good and bad titles, known to man. It had something for literally everyone including casuals.

-People try to claim the Dreamcast was 6th gen, but it was really a 5.5 gen system every way you look at it, so it is irrelevant to this discussion.

Besides the droughts that Nintenbros had to endure that gen, there really wasn't a wrong choice back then.
>>
>>321086070
no, i'm sure of my statement
dreamcast has vga if you want to check for yourself
>>
>>321086198
how the dreamcast was 5.5?
>>
>>321086198
>>321084005

This just in, Wii is gen 6.5, WiiU 7.5
>>
>>321086198
>Nintendo exclusives of that gen however are still some of the best games ever made
The PS2 still managed to have better games, though.
>>
>>321086198
>yfw you realize we'll never have another golden age of gaming like that
>>
>>321087361
You're weong, the PS4 has really good exclusives. It is the PS2 2.0. The Xbone though ehhhh not so much, it basically had no games and Nintendo just has rehashes. You should get a PS4 if you don't already have one
>>
>>321084194
So is a GameCube component better than the Wii component ?
>>
>>321083726
(You)
>>
>>321087621
Probably not.
>>
>>321086742
The Dreamcast took everything good about the 5th gen and refined it, but was released too early for features that were a staple of the 6th gen to be feasible. If the Dreamcast lived a few more years owners would have had to buy a DVD add-on, a broadband adapter, a new controller with a second analogue stick for multiplats, and more just to get it to keep up with PS2/Xbox.

>>321087076
>Wii is gen 6.5
Not exactly the same way that Dreamcast is 5.5, but very close.

>>321087165
>The PS2 still managed to have better games, though
PS2 certainly had more games overall that were considered at least "good", but not as many that still stand out like the Metroid Primes, F-Zero, Melee, etc in my opinion. Not saying PS2 didn't have some phenomenal titles, just that Nintendo had more GOTYOY material that gen.
>>
>>321087694
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Tr-S0XewE
>>
>>321088073
>filming the screen
Can't really judge by that, cap. As far as I can tell they look almost identical, but that may be due to the stupid as hell recording.
>>
>>321080016
>what was the difference between all this gen consoles ?
Publishers and target audience. PS2 was the first DVD platform.
>Was a PS2 more powerful than a GameCube?
No. PS2 was the weakest console of its generation. It however had the largest and most varied game library, and not only because of its backwards compatibility with PS1 games.
>>
>>321088509
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51789
>>
>>321080016
>I know barely nothing about vidya

/v/ EVERYONE
>>
>>321080016

Honestly it varies between game to game, anyone who says otherwise is a liar.
>>
>>321084005

The dreamcast was the WiiU of that time
>>
>>321086198
>Xbox was the most powerful with the best multiplats, but had the least amount of exclusives that weren’t also on PC

It holds its own against the cube when you just compare console exclusives, though. The fact that it was even able to run Morrowind at all was extremely impressive back then.
>>
>>321090501
Wii U has some pretty solid titles, I dare you to come up with as many on the Dreamcast that aren’t arcade ports.
>>
>>321086198
You're forgetting xbox's big assortment of Sega exclusives because Sega lost all their money on the DC and helped design the OG xbox.
>>
>>321090613
Dreamcast has some pretty solid and original titles. I dare you to come up with as many on the WiiU that aren't rehashes.
>>
>>321090613
Illbleed>every WiiU game
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.