[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When can we stop pretending VNs are video games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8
File: snap27.png (644 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
snap27.png
644 KB, 800x600
When can we stop pretending VNs are video games?
>>
File: Miyako.jpg (140 KB, 616x774) Image search: [Google]
Miyako.jpg
140 KB, 616x774
>>321070675

Never
>>
When they stop being the most profitable way for mediocre artists and and bottom of the barrel writers to sell their work.
>>
When you stop making these threads.
>>
I actually would be happy to have a /vn/ - Visual Novels board
>>
>>321071371
As long as it's nsfw.
>>
Just like your parents pretend you're a proper son?
>>
UGUUU~
>>
File: 59132.jpg (161 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
59132.jpg
161 KB, 960x540
>>321070675
VN's are video games
>>
>>321071517
bet you wouldnt say that irl weeb
>>
>>321071680
Bet I would. I would smash your face you normie prick.
>>
I wish I knew. I mean, there are some VNs like Ace Attorney and Zero Escape that have actual gameplay segments, but I strongly believe vanilla VNs where you just go through text and occasionally make a choice are just a different breed of eBook
>>
It really doesn't matter what you think though. They're marketed as games so that's that.
>>
File: 61S-A-QDp5L.jpg (73 KB, 307x500) Image search: [Google]
61S-A-QDp5L.jpg
73 KB, 307x500
>>321070675
I wish VNs would have more interactivity. In lots of them there are like 4 choices and then you're done with the run.
They should be more like the choose your own adventure novels. Hundreds of segments and upwards of a hundred choices per run.
You know the ones I mean, pic related.
>>
>>321071810
I'm pretty sure in Japan they do have different categories for those kinds of games. If there was a Western comparison, I'd say Ace Attorney games have more in common with old point and click adventures than VNs.
>>
Lets call them adventure games like japan does.
Where did the tern vn came from? Its awful.
>>
File: wetlands-movie-still-carla-juri.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1280) Image search: [Google]
wetlands-movie-still-carla-juri.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1280
>>321071641
You could remove all the sex and this shit would still be worth playing tbqhwyf.

Who knew Germans could be funny.
>>
File: SDguide.png (1 MB, 4800x1692) Image search: [Google]
SDguide.png
1 MB, 4800x1692
>>321072062
>Hundreds of segments and upwards of a hundred choices per run.

Having to brainstorm and write all the possibilities won't be worth all the hard work, even if it's one of those 'many choices, one eventual outcome ending' paths like Telltale shits.
>>
>>321072817
>won't be worth all the hard work
Those books sold really well though. The problem is of course that it feels like there is no point in writing branches that only 0.05% of players will ever visit. That problem can easily be solved by re-merging the branches at points. Like, you need to go on a date, and regardless of how you prepare for it you'll still end up on the date. That way, rarely-visited branches will be common but the rarely visited PART will be short.
>>
>>321070675
There's still more actual choice in that screenshot than in most of Fallout 4.
You've got
>Apologize to her
>Don't apologize to her (do it later or you can't continue)
>Apologize to her sarcastically (Gets you one extra line of dialogue)
>Why should I apologize? (Gets you one extra line of dialogue then puts you back to the same choices)
>>
File: pcsx2 2015-05-31 00-26-03-04.jpg (141 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
pcsx2 2015-05-31 00-26-03-04.jpg
141 KB, 1440x1080
They're alright.
>>
>>321070675
When people stop being lonely fucks, taking waifus seriously and being so desperate for any kind of emotional interaction they resort to them.

It really won't happen, ever. But whatever makes people happy, long as they don't shove it in my face, I couldn't care.
>>
>>321073778
The difference is that FO4 is an open world game. In a VN, it's completely ok that if you ignore her now, you'll never get the chance to apologize later. In an open world game, you might not want to sit through two minutes of text just because you had to apologize now, since you were just about to log out when some NPC addressed you.

Not saying that FO4 is good, just that different games have different challenges in design.
>>
File: Grim_Fandango_Manny_Calavera.gif (126 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Grim_Fandango_Manny_Calavera.gif
126 KB, 640x480
>>321071810
>>321072082
>I'd say Ace Attorney games have more in common with old point and click adventures than VNs.
This is true. Adventure game websites like AdventureGamers.com and JustAdventure even review games like Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, and Danganronpa. They're pretty much just Japanese point-and-click adventures. Otaku who play barely any non-Japanese games are the only ones who don't see the similarities.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.